Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

AxeManiac posted:

Also in the stranger mission near the end of the game where the woman tricks you into killing that dude she said knocked her up, can you do anything besides kill the guy? I was trying for a disarm, but looks like I couldn't

No that seems to be one of the ones where you can't do the disarm and have to kill the guy. It would make sense if you could disarm him and scare him into forking over the cash but that would derail the rest of the story I guess.

I was sort of expecting there to be more than one way of resolving the missions (especially after the first one with the Marshal where you can either kill the guy or take him alive) but I guess this isn't a 'moral choices' game as much as it is an 'experience our story' game, which is cool even if Marston is a big dope some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I was playing poker in Blackwater last night, trying to get the last piece of a certain outfit, and could not for the life of me cheat successfully. The first couple times I didn't even realize what to do before I was caught, and from then on it didn't seem to matter if I had the arrow in the middle or not. I was caught 100% of the time.

There was a pile of revolvers on the sidewalk outside from all of the duels. :mmmhmm:

e; I had to go inside and play Blackjack for a few rounds to let the poker table fill up again a couple times. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I was playing poker in Blackwater last night, trying to get the last piece of a certain outfit, and could not for the life of me cheat successfully. The first couple times I didn't even realize what to do before I was caught, and from then on it didn't seem to matter if I had the arrow in the middle or not. I was caught 100% of the time.

There was a pile of revolvers on the sidewalk outside from all of the duels. :mmmhmm:

e; I had to go inside and play Blackjack for a few rounds to let the poker table fill up again a couple times. :v:

A few notes on cheating - the hardest cheat to do is the one where you draw a card from the bottom of the deck while dealing. It also seems like this is harder to do when there are fewer people at the table. I'm halfway decent at cheating but I still can't do it when it's just me and one guy. I don't know if it's related to the number of people at the table, or if it's just harder when there's only one person left or what, but that's my experience.

But the trick is that you only ever have to do that once; after you successfully draw once from the bottom of the deck, you'll always have a card up your sleeve, and you can always switch it out with one of the cards in your hand, which is much easier to do, and you also have the benefit of knowing which card you're going to be getting.

So the way I do it is this - draw from the bottom of the deck at the beginning, and then never do it again. If I can use any two of my three cards to make a hand, then I'll play (waiting until the last moment to cheat my best card in, because if I win by making everyone else fold then I've lost my card for no good reason). If I can't, then I'll cheat a better card (if there is one) into my sleeve before I fold so I can save it for later. For example if my hand is A4, and I have a 6 in my sleeve, I'll swap it with the Ace in case I get a King or an Ace or something in a later hand.

Cheating doesn't always mean you're going to win, but it makes the game a fair bit easier.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

Brinstar Brew posted:

Did you ever get it? I've been at max honour for a long while now, and I still haven't gotten it

I've no idea how some people have waited ages and not got it , I'm only 20% through and the nun has come up to me 3 times (after the first she just gives you some money).It's just one of those things I guess.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mylan posted:

I had the same problem. 1-shotted like 10 bears in the snowy area of Tall Trees, didn't get credit. The solution is to kill bears around Bearclaw Camp. First one there dinged it for me. Apparently those ones are grizzlies while the rest aren't, or something.

Alright, I tried it and it worked. Thank you.

It seems a lot of the sharpshooter challenges are glitched, though, the next one tasks you with shooting a hat off of someone while "riding a mount". I shot at least half a dozen hats off of people's heads while riding a horse, stationary and with different speeds, but the challenge didn't register before it randomly just... did. I did nothing different from before.

:psyduck:

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine
Towards the end of the game, is it normal to not be able to change clothes? I just did the mission where you and Jack bring a herd of cattle from MacFarlane's Ranch to your place at Beecher's Hope, and now I'm stuck wearing this goddamned rancher outfit. I was trying to change into the suit that allows you to cheat at poker so I could clear the Blackwater table.

Speaking of being towards the end of the game, the glitches really ramped up in the latter half. All throughout New Austin and through about half of Mexico I was relatively glitch-free, but towards the end of Mexico and all of West Elizabeth I've had a lot of NPC/animal derping, textures not loading in for sometimes up to 15 seconds, etc. Nothing gamebreaking but a whole lotta jank.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, as soon as you're back at the homestead you're stuck in rancher duds for a bit.

You'll see why pretty soon and then you'll be posting about how much you hate why.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 15, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

outfit spoilers (also end game stuff) I really like the rancher outfit. Cool boots and gauntlets?! Sign me up. That and Jack's cowboy outfit are my favorites.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

A few notes on cheating

You know, I'd love to see a game like the old Caesar's Palace on the NES except it takes place in the late 70s or early 80s in Vegas, and you can bust out all the classic tricks to try and cheat the dealers without getting noticed by the pit boss or security.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Any tips to acquiring targets in dead eye when using dynamite/fire bottles? I can only seem to get stuff if they are within 30 feet of me. Can't get anything from super far away like in the youtube videos posted in this thread.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

danifestmestny posted:

Any tips to acquiring targets in dead eye when using dynamite/fire bottles? I can only seem to get stuff if they are within 30 feet of me. Can't get anything from super far away like in the youtube videos posted in this thread.

What level of Deadeye do you have?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone know what rare weapon pistol I'm missing and where it can be located?

I hate that you can place the cursor over the stuff you have and read the info on it, but the stuff you don't have, it's grayed out and I can't figure out what the gently caress it is I'm missing. :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ruddiger posted:

I hate that you can place the cursor over the stuff you have and read the info on it, but the stuff you don't have, it's grayed out and I can't figure out what the gently caress it is I'm missing. :argh:

Volcanic pistol maybe? I think you buy that one, I got it at the Armidillo store.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ruddiger posted:

That's the LeMat Revolver. You can buy it in Escalera.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

Lemat pistol. Buy it in mexico.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure that's the LeMat which you get from the Escalera gunsmith.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

fennesz posted:

Oh yeah, and I just got to Blackwater for the first time. I rode around for 10 minutes looking for a hitching post. It was raining, I didn't want my pony getting rained on all by herself so I rode out of town and made camp. :( All these goddamn newfangled contraptions and poo poo, can't I just hitch my horse somewheres?

Hitching posts are useless. I never used them unless a mission told me too.

Also, I never got the necklace even though I got full honor way early in the game, never saw any nuns except during two strangers mission that make you go to Las Hermanas. Oh well, I didn't need it to get 100% anyway.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Golgozor posted:

You only need them when you want to save a new horse. For example if you're riding around on a Kentucky Saddler and you find a Wild Hungarian Half-bred, you'd hop on the Half-bred and take it to a hitching post. Now the Half-bred comes when you whistle. That's the only real use of a hitching post.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Golgozor posted:

Also, I never got the necklace even though I got full honor way early in the game, never saw any nuns except during two strangers mission that make you go to Las Hermanas. Oh well, I didn't need it to get 100% anyway.

Did you ever beat the game anyway?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

What's the rifle/repeater below the pistols?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The Evans Repeater. On sale in Armadillo.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Ainsley McTree posted:

You only need them when you want to save a new horse. For example if you're riding around on a Kentucky Saddler and you find a Wild Hungarian Half-bred, you'd hop on the Half-bred and take it to a hitching post. Now the Half-bred comes when you whistle. That's the only real use of a hitching post.

Bah, never hitched the nice horses, I broke them, left them behind, and bought the deed.

Shortymrbig posted:

Did you ever beat the game anyway?

Yeah, Saturday night, all I have left to get the trophies for doing 20 missions without hitching/deeding a new horse, the 10 assists in a public freeroam hideout, and using a pardon letter for a 5k bounty. The 5k bounty one is sucking fat ones, it takes forever, and I get so bored having to go from town to town after I annihilate everyone that I get sloppy and die. The Mexican fort is useless in single player, I killed everyone in it after an eyewitness tattled on me, couldn't get a wanted level even though everyone started shooting me.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The rare weapons are the Lemat Revolver sold in Escalare
the Mauser pistol sold in Blackwater
the Evans repeater sold in Blackwater
the semi auto shotgun sold in Escalara
and the Carcano rifle sold in Blackwater

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Golgozor fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 15, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Golgozor posted:

Bah, never hitched the nice horses, I broke them, left them behind, and bought the deed.

Yeah, Saturday night, all I have left to get the trophies for doing 20 missions without hitching/deeding a new horse, the 10 assists in a public freeroam hideout, and using a pardon letter for a 5k bounty. The 5k bounty one is sucking fat ones, it takes forever, and I get so bored having to go from town to town after I annihilate everyone that I get sloppy and die. The Mexican fort is useless in single player, I killed everyone in it after an eyewitness tattled on me, couldn't get a wanted level even though everyone started shooting me.

I'll help you with that 10 assist when I'm on in freeroam one of these days.

FatsoWellington <--- by da wai

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just had my first bug happen that almost made me crap myself since I hadn't saved in a while.

Got to the end of the last? mission in mexico and right after the, uhm.. "ability to shoot, roll, dodge, do anything except pause" went away for a good 5 mins while my horse wandered around in the background.

After that, the cutscene started.

Dunno what the hell happened, but it scared the poo poo out of me. I hadn't saved since before I opened up mexico, and I hadn't even swapped my horse around or died. I would have been uberfucked if it crashed out.

Needless to say, on the way to Blackwater I saved v:v:v

loving LOVING THIS GAME. Off to hunt beaver, and maybe play the game some more :haw:

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

What level of Deadeye do you have?

Dead Eye Level 3

Influenza
Nov 28, 2000

It's angry at the room. It wants the room to suffer.
I loved the game, and was just dumbstruck ENDGAME when John went home to his family...and the game continued. I had fun doing those little family missions, but each new mission filled me with increasing dread, as even without reading spoilers, I knew bad things HAD to be coming for Mr. Marston. When he died, and then the game STILL wasn't over, Rockstar won my love and respect forever. What a great way to handle the endgame.

Funnily, I played the main game pretty straight to the way it's written, with John trying his best to be a good guy, racking up fame and honor. But I'm playing the postgame+ like a sociopath. I think the story actually supports this, and it's remarkably satisfying.

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine
I don't know why so many people went ape about the ending, I thought it provided great closure. One of the better endings to a game in recent memory for me. I get a real (endgame spoilers) Jake Gyllenhaal vibe from 19 year-old Jack both in appearance and voicework.

Are the guys who made RDR the same guys who did Bully? The soundtrack really reminds me of Bully at times, what with the heavy emphasis on basslines during tense moments.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I got my trinket from the nun after I had beaten the game and got 100% completion. I had been at 100% honor for probably half of my play time but she just never showed up. She finally caught up to me in Blackwater after I had gone afk at the docks for around 10 minutes. I came back to see a little nun slowly wandering up to me.

I like to think that she had been trying to catch up to me, wandering the land, always one step behind, forever pissed at my fast-traveling impatience.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Naked Chainsaw posted:

Are the guys who made RDR the same guys who did Bully? The soundtrack really reminds me of Bully at times, what with the heavy emphasis on basslines during tense moments.

I thought I was the only one who thought this, since I never saw it mentioned. It's not the same guy, I don't think, since Shawn Lee is the guy who did the Bully soundtrack and he's not listed anywhere on the RDR soundtrack. The developers for each are different, too, RDR was Rockstar San Diego and Bully was Rockstar Vancouver.

But then, Rockstar shares resources, engines and so on between their different branches so who knows? Shawn Lee might have contributed to the soundtrack but just isn't listed as a composer.

Edit: Had to look up the Bully soundtrack for examples (goddamn I forgot how good that soundtrack is). Something like this: Prefect Fight Or this: Cheating Time

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 15, 2010

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Does anyone else have huge issues winning at blackjack? It doesn't seem like its "easy" the way poker is. Nor does it seem very real, as far as card counts come out. You pretty much have to keep pushing until you get 18,19,20, or 21 otherwise you'll almost always lose a hand. Which of course sucks because you bust a lot when you hit at 12.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

soggybagel posted:

Does anyone else have huge issues winning at blackjack? It doesn't seem like its "easy" the way poker is. Nor does it seem very real, as far as card counts come out. You pretty much have to keep pushing until you get 18,19,20, or 21 otherwise you'll almost always lose a hand. Which of course sucks because you bust a lot when you hit at 12.
Seems about as realistic as most Blackjack games. Double down on 10 and 11, especially when dealer is showing 2-6. Split 7s and 8s. Hell double down if the dealer is showing 5/6 if you aren't in danger of busting.

Gratuitous Whimsy
Aug 20, 2009
So I just finished the mission where De Santa has you and the captain defend the train with the gatling gun and you're led to believe De Santa tried to get you killed. About how far am I through the main story?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So... Just killed a wild boar. On horseback. Using my mauser pistol.

Feeling like a badass, cause BLAM, got that fucker right in the eye.

Hop down off my horse and proceed to walk towards it to skin it, and another boar slams into me and knocks me rear end over teakettle. I am ok with that, I suck up the hit, bring up my weapon list and select my sawed off. I am gonna teach this here piggy a lesson bout the one that don't go home :clint:

Then a loving BEAR OUT OF NOWHERE slaps the poo poo out of me and knocks me back OVER my goddamn horse. I have never gone airborne from being hit. Once I land, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR loving buffalo run over my rear end. Needless to say I died, and I took that first pig with me, but I am starting to think nature is against all this hunting :tinfoil:

Also, gently caress BEARS ARE BIG. I thought it was a buffalo at first cause, gently caress it's a giant shaggy thing like twice the size of a boar, then it swatted me and roared, and basically I like to think my horse made it even if I didn't. He seemed to be heading for higher (and less populated) ground when I went over him.

The game sent me back to my last save, and my horse was standing in front of my campsite in the pouring down rain, looking at me like "Whatcha gonna do now Mr. Badass I AM THE LAW MIS NOMBRE ES JOHN MARSTEN???!?!"

If Cabelas hunting games were like this, I would own all of them :clint:

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine

Gratuitous Whimsy posted:

So I just finished the mission where De Santa has you and the captain defend the train with the gatling gun and you're led to believe De Santa tried to get you killed. About how far am I through the main story?

Looking at a mission list, you have 28 missions left to go out of a total of 57. You're literally right in the middle of it; you've completed 28 missions and have that many left.

e: Spoiler'd, just in case.

Tewratomeh posted:

I thought I was the only one who thought this, since I never saw it mentioned. It's not the same guy, I don't think, since Shawn Lee is the guy who did the Bully soundtrack and he's not listed anywhere on the RDR soundtrack. The developers for each are different, too, RDR was Rockstar San Diego and Bully was Rockstar Vancouver.

But then, Rockstar shares resources, engines and so on between their different branches so who knows? Shawn Lee might have contributed to the soundtrack but just isn't listed as a composer.

Edit: Had to look up the Bully soundtrack for examples (goddamn I forgot how good that soundtrack is). Something like this: Prefect Fight Or this: Cheating Time

Man, just hearing those songs again is making me want to replay Bully. Such a badass soundtrack. And since I've just killed off RDR's main storyline and the pubbies make multiplayer a chore, I may do just that.

Naked Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 15, 2010

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Tewratomeh posted:

I like the horse behavior in general. They really nailed the feeling of riding a living thing. If you ride too close to a cliff the horse freaks out and starts whining in terror, and if you actually try to force it to ride off the cliff (for whatever reason) it does its damnedest to stop you, even if it's a small drop. Sometimes it's reluctant to go down or up steps, and it freaks out at loud noises and wild predator animals (even if you don't see or hear them yet).

And sometimes it overshoots me when I call it, and then when I get close it runs a little further away. And then it gets a bullet in its skull for being stupid.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just finished the game.

John Marston lives.

(I saved an old save game and will kick around with that. I like the idea that he got the peace he wanted) I'm going to hunt bears and cougars and pick flowers and go back to sleep in my own bed. I want to max out the scores and I'm beginning to hate "Faster you old nag!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quick question...

Keeping this as spoiler free as possible in both asking and hopefully when you guys answer...

In one of the promo pics for the game, John is hauling rear end away from a bear or facing it down with a knife, and in the shot he has one of those old leatherhead football helmets on when he is doing it.

Does that open up later in the single player game, or is it a multiplayer only thing?

I kinda wanna look like a mental patient when I have to fight giant wildlife v:shobon:v

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Quick question...

Keeping this as spoiler free as possible in both asking and hopefully when you guys answer...

In one of the promo pics for the game, John is hauling rear end away from a bear or facing it down with a knife, and in the shot he has one of those old leatherhead football helmets on when he is doing it.

Does that open up later in the single player game, or is it a multiplayer only thing?

I kinda wanna look like a mental patient when I have to fight giant wildlife v:shobon:v
I have played through the whole singleplayer game and, :wtc: John Marston wearing a football helmet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, ok, got a little confused.

I was apparently thinking of the Expert Hunter outfit.

Beats the poo poo out of the "Jew like merchant" or whatever the hell the other costume was called. The one from the gamestop "vote and win!" thing. I think these are all going to be released at a later date as DLC (keeping my fingers crossed).

Here's an image :

Click here for the full 1280x920 image.

Man, once you get 100% fame, people say some strange poo poo to you, about you. Haven't had too many people want a duel after I became super famous though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
They will be released later this summer. For free.

• Locked thread