Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World

Sco Dylan posted:

Knocking them down counts as a knockout. It really should be called a knockdown to avoid confusion. There is no way to actually knock them out so they stay down.

That really really bothered me. I got into a bar brawl, knock out one guy and start fighting a second and before I finished the second guy the first one was back up fighting me. I thought it was a glitch of some kind that they wouldn't stay down. I wish you could beat everybody up and just leave them all unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I came across that random event with a man kneeling over what appeared to be a dead woman. I didn't do anything until I saw him try to remove her ring with his teeth at which point I delivered a bullet to him c/o his face.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The Kentucky Saddler I got from Bonnie fell off a cliff and died, now when I whistle another horse shows up? How do I get that tan faster horse back?

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Kadler posted:

The Kentucky Saddler I got from Bonnie fell off a cliff and died, now when I whistle another horse shows up? How do I get that tan faster horse back?

If only there were a monument to all the horses we've loved and lost along the way.

You can either buy a deed, capture that horse again somewheres, or resign yourself to disappointment.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm trying to keep him alive to the end, too. Only a few missions away from Fort Mercer now. Got the Spurred to Victory achievement after doing my 21st mission, so I guess as long as you never deviate from the horses the game gives to you it counts (the first couple have you on one of Bonnie's ranch horses).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

forbiddendelirium posted:

If only there were a monument to all the horses we've loved and lost along the way.

To spare myself the heartache of losing my beloved Kentucky Saddler - which I used for the overwhelming majority of the game - I broke a different horse and hitched it just so I wouldn't have to watch a bear or cougar maul her to death. :911:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Philip J Fry posted:

I'm trying to keep him alive to the end, too. Only a few missions away from Fort Mercer now. Got the Spurred to Victory achievement after doing my 21st mission, so I guess as long as you never deviate from the horses the game gives to you it counts (the first couple have you on one of Bonnie's ranch horses).

Can you redo missions to get that trophy? I'm in the postgame and didn't get it, despite not changing horses that I was aware of. Although at that point, it seems like a big grind, so not sure I'll be going for it, but just curious in case I change my mind.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Aaaaargghhsfs. 99.9% I need one more West Elizabeth bounty location, but I have gotten Aurora Basin 10 times in a row now. Aaaaaaagrhgfs. Is this a bug, it's driving me up the loving wall. I can loving do the Aurora Basin Bounty blind by now, gently caress.

I am also no longer getting the actual reward for bounties as well, just a count to my dead/alive total. I don't really need the cash at this point, but it strikes me as odd. It's always murder, always Aurora basin in both Blackwater and at the post. Anyone else having this problem?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

fennesz posted:

Hell yeah, just knifed a bear without using any bullshit tactics like shooting it in the legs first.
Same. It takes a lot of stabbing (I think 8 solid hits) and it's really annoying when they start running away, but you feel like a loving badass.

Also, I had one of those "person being attacked by wild animals" events occur, except instead of wolves or coyotes, it was TWO cougars. They just absolutely wrecked that guy before I could even get my gun out to aim at the first one. His corpse went cartwheeling through the air past me.

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine
A question about something in the endgame that's most likely retarded, but here goes: Did Bonnie have anything to do with John's downfall? After the encounter with John, the wife and Bonnie I was left thinking she held a grudge or something. As John and Abigail ride off into the sunset the camera just sits there showing you Bonnie being upset/disappointed/whatever. Then right afterwards the army comes and fucks your day up. Probably wholly unrelated but curious nonetheless.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Same. It takes a lot of stabbing (I think 8 solid hits) and it's really annoying when they start running away, but you feel like a loving badass.

Also, I had one of those "person being attacked by wild animals" events occur, except instead of wolves or coyotes, it was TWO cougars. They just absolutely wrecked that guy before I could even get my gun out to aim at the first one. His corpse went cartwheeling through the air past me.

To be honest I was expecting it to take more stabs than it did, although I didn't get much time to revel in my accomplishment. A cougar tried to sneak up on me only to be met with 4 double-action revolver rounds to the head. Those things still scare the hell out of me though.

Yeah those events pretty much consist of hoping you're within view of them immediately when you realize whats going on or the victim is a deadman.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Damone posted:

Aaaaargghhsfs. 99.9% I need one more West Elizabeth bounty location, but I have gotten Aurora Basin 10 times in a row now. Aaaaaaagrhgfs. Is this a bug, it's driving me up the loving wall. I can loving do the Aurora Basin Bounty blind by now, gently caress.

I am also no longer getting the actual reward for bounties as well, just a count to my dead/alive total. I don't really need the cash at this point, but it strikes me as odd. It's always murder, always Aurora basin in both Blackwater and at the post. Anyone else having this problem?

I had this problem but my last bounty was in Mexico at Rancho Povlo; I must have done it 5 or 6 times in a row. It didn't register until I brought him back alive.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Fudgement Day posted:

That really really bothered me. I got into a bar brawl, knock out one guy and start fighting a second and before I finished the second guy the first one was back up fighting me. I thought it was a glitch of some kind that they wouldn't stay down. I wish you could beat everybody up and just leave them all unconscious.

but that means you could get your rear end kicked in the bar, then have your character wake up, Naked and tied to a cactus......

JonSausage
Dec 14, 2009
I haven't seen this mentioned but I witnessed something strange. I encountered a chinaman around Beecher's Hope. he was hovering over a dead body in a pool of blood, so I said woah woah woah whats going on here. I went to check it out, there was a pistol on the ground, the chinaman grabbed for it so I took out my sidearm, but he put it to his own head and blew his brains out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Naked Chainsaw posted:

A question about something in the endgame that's most likely retarded, but here goes: Did Bonnie have anything to do with John's downfall? After the encounter with John, the wife and Bonnie I was left thinking she held a grudge or something. As John and Abigail ride off into the sunset the camera just sits there showing you Bonnie being upset/disappointed/whatever. Then right afterwards the army comes and fucks your day up. Probably wholly unrelated but curious nonetheless.

Endgame spoilers I personally didn't interpret that way at all. It just seemed like a case of unrequited love to me. Where John was wasn't any secret to the authorities.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Naked Chainsaw posted:

I think she was in love with John. Having him come there with his wife and being happy with her probably pulled on her heartstrings. I doubt she had anything to do with John's fate other than saving his life.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Biggabam posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but I witnessed something strange. I encountered a chinaman around Beecher's Hope. he was hovering over a dead body in a pool of blood, so I said woah woah woah whats going on here. I went to check it out, there was a pistol on the ground, the chinaman grabbed for it so I took out my sidearm, but he put it to his own head and blew his brains out.

this has indeed not been mentioned

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Naked Chainsaw posted:

It indicates she's attracted to John and somewhat jealous of his wife.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Palleon posted:

Can you redo missions to get that trophy? I'm in the postgame and didn't get it, despite not changing horses that I was aware of. Although at that point, it seems like a big grind, so not sure I'll be going for it, but just curious in case I change my mind.

I couldn't say for sure but I haven't seen anything to indicate as such. If anything it's worth playing through again as the opposite you did the first time (good/bad guy) and you can breeze through most of the missions as they are just introductory/tutorial and skip cutscenes since you already know what's going on.

During a mission for West Dickens you have to follow his coach while on a horse. Mine wasn't around so not thinking, I hopped on the one that spawned there. Even though I never hitched it, it became my default horse somehow after an auto-save so I went back and loaded a manual save to get my Saddler back.

Irrelevant story: on my second playthrough I was going over to Silent Stead to pick up an outfit scrap. As I dismounted my horse I stepped *right on top* of a loving cougar laying down that was camoflaged. Mauled us both in about two seconds.

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine

doctor 7 posted:

It indicates she's attracted to John and somewhat jealous of his wife.

He should've just stayed with Bonnie, his wife was annoying as gently caress. She was like a high school girlfriend with all the ridiculous drama and cartoonish jealousy.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

As for Bonnie:

She was crushing mad on John Marston and her reaction at the end is 'why can't I find the right guy EVER' and then she went back to her life on the ranch. Plus, Ross had to give Marston his family back: if he welshed on his deal, he would have been killed in 1910. Marston had to be calmed first before he was killed. Otherwise, he would have just gone into Blackwater and iced everybody before destroying Ross.

Notice that Ross never does anything in the game besides shoot a dead man and attempt to shoot Jack. He's a filthy bureaucrat who can't do anything directly and pays for it in the end when he's killed. He doens't even shoot John Marston, he just sits there and watches him expire behind several army soldiers.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
What's the login info for RedxDeadxGoons so I can accept my friend request?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Should I make another save now that I've finished the mission at Dutch's fort where he kills himself?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Should I make another save now that I've finished the mission at Dutch's fort where he kills himself?
Not unless you really like replaying cattle herding missions. If you wait a couple more missions and then make a save you'll be better off

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

csidle posted:

this has indeed not been mentioned

Well not with the period appropriate pejorative that I'm sure we all found just hilarious

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yes. That way you're not stuck in the god awful outfit the story locks you into for the remainder of the game.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes. That way you're not stuck in the god awful outfit the story locks you into for the remainder of the game.

It's too late, actually.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Palleon posted:

Same here, I made it all the way to Blackwater without loosing the mount Bonnie gave me and never got the achievement - annoying.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Is there anyone up that wants to free roam it up with me for a little while? I moved a couple of weeks ago and I finally hooked up my PS3. I've only played online for about an hour, so I haven't really done much of anything. I can't really find any matches with a bunch of people in them, usually only two or three. PSN id is wattershed.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Dr Geek posted:

To add to the discussion about whether Tumbleweed is really haunted or not, I was just playing poker in Armadillo and one of the players said "You don't wanna go out to Tumbleweed, that place has got some baaaaad spirits"

I played poker with a dude who could trace all the west's issues to the jews, so I guess that solves THAT problem, too!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I cannot for the life of me find a boar to do the mastery 5 hunting challenge. I'm up around near Thieves Landing at night, like the wiki said, but all I've managed to find is about 5 cougars and a pack of wolves.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ignimbrite posted:

I cannot for the life of me find a boar to do the mastery 5 hunting challenge. I'm up around near Thieves Landing at night, like the wiki said, but all I've managed to find is about 5 cougars and a pack of wolves.

Hang around the Stillwater Creek end of the rail-bridge that goes into West Elizabeth. If that doesn't help, head north out of McFarlane's Ranch to the hill past the rail tracks at the base of mountains and lay bait.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

The best way to find boars is to complete that level of the hunting challenge and work up to the one that requires you to find cougars. Then you'll find boars. No cougars, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I always find boars around the road running north-south, south of Tanner's Reach/Aurora Basin. They usually knock me off my horse. :argh:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hang around the Stillwater Creek end of the rail-bridge that goes into West Elizabeth. If that doesn't help, head north out of McFarlane's Ranch to the hill past the rail tracks at the base of mountains and lay bait.

Thanks, that second one worked like a charm. Put the bait down and I immediately hear 'EEEEE EEE EEEEE'.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Sco Dylan posted:

It's too late, actually.

Oh, drat. What's the latest bit before you get stuck in that costume then?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh, drat. What's the latest bit before you get stuck in that costume then?

You have to save before you catch up with Dutch in Tall Trees.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Sco Dylan posted:

I think you can save right after that, actually. Returning to your Ranch and Abigail is a separate mission.

This game is amazing. The only things that bother me in it are incredibly minor nitpicks, like the Springfield Carbine being able to fire more than one shot before reloading, or that the donkeys are called mules when they are clearly just donkeys in the game (it would have been kinda neat to have both donkeys and mules in the game as alternatives to horses). That's my two biggest complaints, so this game is pretty much perfect for me.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 16, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Poor John.

Out hunting for beaver like any normal man in the wild west would be, he heads to a far away camp in the north.

He spies something in the distance, and thinks "Holy poo poo, maybe this is that loving beaver!!" and uses his sniper rifle to take a peek.

Once the scope pops up, his eye is not filled with a view of a wet, glistening beaver at play, but a strange furry object that seems to be moving slightly.

Dropping the scope, he looks up and realizes his Lord and Savior will never let him live this down if it makes it up to Heaven, for in the final fleeting moments of life, instead of living life to it's fullest and trying to help his fellow man, or even seeing an awesome beaver shot... He was staring at a bear crotch from an angry grizzly that snuck up on him and didn't appreciate the ogling he had been given.

Way to go John... way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sco Dylan posted:

So the idea behind making another save is just because you're stuck wearing a particular outfit for the remainder of the game?

• Locked thread