Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So the idea behind making another save is just because you're stuck wearing a particular outfit for the remainder of the game?

No, not exactly. Trust us, just make that extra save, finish the game, and then decide whether you're glad you did or not. I hope you did save before you did the next story thing after that last Dutch mission.

I personally haven't felt the need to use that previous save after beating the game, it's down to your preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

No, not exactly. Trust us, just make that extra save, finish the game, and then decide whether you're glad you did or not. I hope you did save before you did the next story thing after that last Dutch mission.

I personally haven't felt the need to use that previous save after beating the game, it's down to your preferences.

Cool, thanks for the info. I made another one before going to see Abigail.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Just played a game of horseshoes at Las Hermanas...he hit 4 ringers in a row. What the gently caress. It was a $10 bet too so it's not like the difficulty was ramped sky high or nothing.

I also just completed Eva In Peril...:(

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Poor John.

Out hunting for beaver like any normal man in the wild west would be, he heads to a far away camp in the north.

He spies something in the distance, and thinks "Holy poo poo, maybe this is that loving beaver!!" and uses his sniper rifle to take a peek.

Once the scope pops up, his eye is not filled with a view of a wet, glistening beaver at play, but a strange furry object that seems to be moving slightly.

Dropping the scope, he looks up and realizes his Lord and Savior will never let him live this down if it makes it up to Heaven, for in the final fleeting moments of life, instead of living life to it's fullest and trying to help his fellow man, or even seeing an awesome beaver shot... He was staring at a bear crotch from an angry grizzly that snuck up on him and didn't appreciate the ogling he had been given.

Way to go John... way to go.

For gently caress'S SAKE man, ending spoiler that poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gazmachine posted:

For gently caress'S SAKE man, ending spoiler that poo poo.

Uh... he's just talking about hunting, there's nothing in there about the end game.

And for future reference, if you think someone just spoiled the ending of a game, don't quote his entire, un-spoilered post. You just make things worse.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
After hunting cougars that refused to spawn for about an hour, i'm just cruising around and I see a couple of lawmen chasing after some criminal, firing their guns ineptly as ever.

Then, out of nowhere, this massive boar comes barrelling in and destroys the two lawmen, knocking them both off a cliff.

That guy better have been innocent Mr Pig.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

VDay posted:

Uh... he's just talking about hunting, there's nothing in there about the end game.

And for future reference, if you think someone just spoiled the ending of a game, don't quote his entire, un-spoilered post. You just make things worse.

It was a joke.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Damnit. Yeah, I should probably go to sleep now...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Stranger mission 'The Wronged Woman' is bugged in my game - every time I look for the guy, or even if I'm just going along the main street in Blackwater, I find him lying dead at his own feet. Yes, you read that right. I can loot the body, but it doesn't complete the mission, and his clone just stands there and can't be challenged to the duel I'm supposed to do.

It's annoying, because every time I'm around Blackwater I see the purple question mark and think "Oh hey, a Stranger miss- dammit..."

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Payndz posted:

The Stranger mission 'The Wronged Woman' is bugged in my game - every time I look for the guy, or even if I'm just going along the main street in Blackwater, I find him lying dead at his own feet. Yes, you read that right. I can loot the body, but it doesn't complete the mission, and his clone just stands there and can't be challenged to the duel I'm supposed to do.

It's annoying, because every time I'm around Blackwater I see the purple question mark and think "Oh hey, a Stranger miss- dammit..."

Can you shoot the clone? It might get negative honour though

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just got master hunter rank 5, had no problem finding cougars around the area to the southwest of fort mercer, east of the buyable property. Laid a bait, 1 popped, lasso and knife, easy. 10 seconds later I hear GREOW and see TWO of the bastards running towards me. I ruun away like a sissy girl, spin, dead eye one in the head, lose the other doing that, get tackled three times, manage to find the bastard and lasso it and knife it. Buffalo rifle here I come!

MissMarple posted:

After hunting cougars that refused to spawn for about an hour, i'm just cruising around and I see a couple of lawmen chasing after some criminal, firing their guns ineptly as ever.

Go to the area I said. just north of 'Plainview' on the map, on the north-south road.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

VDay posted:

Damnit. Yeah, I should probably go to sleep now...

That was perfect.

Kudos to you for posting like a reasonable, nice person though. I like this thread, it's a lot more pleasant than the TF2 one.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Payndz posted:

Kill the clone. I challenged the original dude but then there was a black screen and it read "you won the duel" and the dude was just lying dead on the street. After the clone appeared, I just killed him and got the 200$.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Guess I'll spoiler just in case.

I wish they made a whole game that was essentially the last section of the game - "Western Rancher: The Game" by rockstar.

Going hunting in the forest with your son as the sunset was awesome.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh the lengths I go to to keep from getting a bounty. I was about to take a stagecoach from around Hennigan's Stead down to Escalera because I'm lazy and didn't feel like setting up a campsite. Rather than get on as a passenger, though, I accidentally get on from the driver's side and yank him off. Some other guy freaks out and starts running for the cops, so I chase him down on foot and hogtie him, and the driver freaks out and takes off in another direction. He's way too far away so I pop him in both legs and hogtie him on the ground, and another guy then freaks out and hops on his horse. I chase him down for a good half-a-mile before I shoot him in the back off his horse and hogtie him, too. Three innocent people hogtied and I just ride off leaving three men crippled, tied up and confused, all so I can save $40.

Oh, and I found my favorite new juvenile thing to do. I saw a man behind me get off his horse and dash for a rock on the side of the road. I wondered what was up, so I turned around and saw him standing with his back to me. I figured it was a glitch or something, but I started thinking to myself, "Hmm, maybe he's taking a leak?", half-jokingly. I never imagined that yes, he was in fact taking a piss. So I did what anybody would do in that situation, I lassoed him and dragged him down the road with me a ways.

Yeah, he wasn't too happy when I let him go. :D

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Kashwashwa posted:

Guess I'll spoiler just in case.

I wish they made a whole game that was essentially the last section of the game - "Western Rancher: The Game" by rockstar.

Going hunting in the forest with your son as the sunset was awesome.

I'm totally with you on this one. Work in an economics model, improvements to the homestead, all kindsa stuff. Let's show those filthy Japanese how farming games are done.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Kind of ticked off. Love the game, it truly is fantastic, but SPOILER After i finished the game, I realized Love is the Opiate mission never spawned for me at all. I want to get 100% but if it never spawns I dont think I can
Do i need to do something to trigger it to start?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

TheRealLuquado posted:

Kind of ticked off. Love the game, it truly is fantastic, but SPOILER After i finished the game, I realized Love is the Opiate mission never spawned for me at all. I want to get 100% but if it never spawns I dont think I can
Do i need to do something to trigger it to start?

Do you have the outfit that has that mission as a requirement? If so, tracking it will make it pop-up on the map.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Houdini posted:

Do you have the outfit that has that mission as a requirement? If so, tracking it will make it pop-up on the map.

You, sir, are awesome.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

BlackJosh posted:

I think you can save right after that, actually. Returning to your Ranch and Abigail is a separate mission.

Oh yeah, you guys are right. I thought it was a waypoint.

Also, I'm so god damned tired of the game freezing. I'll never get the 4 In a Row Gangmatches trophy, it always freezes when I'm at like 3. At this point I don't know if it is because of the game or the dying GPU in my PS3.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh the lengths I go to to keep from getting a bounty. I was about to take a stagecoach from around Hennigan's Stead down to Escalera because I'm lazy and didn't feel like setting up a campsite. Rather than get on as a passenger, though, I accidentally get on from the driver's side and yank him off. Some other guy freaks out and starts running for the cops, so I chase him down on foot and hogtie him, and the driver freaks out and takes off in another direction. He's way too far away so I pop him in both legs and hogtie him on the ground, and another guy then freaks out and hops on his horse. I chase him down for a good half-a-mile before I shoot him in the back off his horse and hogtie him, too. Three innocent people hogtied and I just ride off leaving three men crippled, tied up and confused, all so I can save $40.

I remember one time I opened up a cabinet at a church, which counted as stealing. So some guy ran off to tell police. Well I didn't want that, so I hog-tied him, and then some other guy saw that. So I ran after him. At one point I was hog-tying a nun who had seen me hog-tie someone who had seen me hog-tie someone who had seen me hogtie someone...

I probably should have just paid the 10 dollars.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Wait, you guys actually pay the witness/bounty? I usually just chase them down and knife them to death.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I remember one time I opened up a cabinet at a church, which counted as stealing. So some guy ran off to tell police. Well I didn't want that, so I hog-tied him, and then some other guy saw that. So I ran after him. At one point I was hog-tying a nun who had seen me hog-tie someone who had seen me hog-tie someone who had seen me hogtie someone...

I probably should have just paid the 10 dollars.

This poo poo kind of pisses me off. I was in the bank in Armadillo trying to crack the safe so I hogtie the teller that's in there, and sure enough as soon as I'm finishing hogtying the guy, someone walks in, sees what's going down and tries to run for the cops, so I hogtie them... and someone else comes into the bank, and I have to hogtie them... and ANOTHER PERSON comes into the freaking bank.

I hogtied about five people before I could even get close to the safe and even then, cops were waiting for me as soon as I busted that bitch open.

It ended Young Guns-style in a bloody shootout, me crashing my way out the back door whistling for my horse, and riding off with like 50 bucks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

El Seano posted:

Just played a game of horseshoes at Las Hermanas...he hit 4 ringers in a row. What the gently caress. It was a $10 bet too so it's not like the difficulty was ramped sky high or nothing.

I also just completed Eva In Peril...:(

Honestly with all of the fantastically badass poo poo going on in this game, for some reason the conclusion to Eva in Peril is probably my favorite thing in this game so far.

I mean, come on a duel at sunset over the grave of a girl who just wanted more out of life than to be a prostitute in the middle of the Mexican desert. I shot that bastard in the head so many times.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

Honestly with all of the fantastically badass poo poo going on in this game, for some reason the conclusion to Eva in Peril is probably my favorite thing in this game so far.

I mean, come on a duel at sunset over the grave of a girl who just wanted more out of life than to be a prostitute in the middle of the Mexican desert. I shot that bastard in the head so many times.

Oh yeah, that had to be done. I still don't get why he was digging her back up. It just seemed to be adding in a necrophilia subplot where it wasn't necessary. I mean, he just killed her, it was sad and tragic enough.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh yeah, that had to be done. I still don't get why he was digging her back up. It just seemed to be adding in a necrophilia subplot where it wasn't necessary. I mean, he just killed her, it was sad and tragic enough.

I thought he was in the process of burying her, and Marston interrupted him.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Even better than that is the fact that he refuses to offer a reasonable explanation as to why he killed her, except that "she was a whore!". That detail really, really makes it for me.

All the storytelling in the minigames really elevates the story and gives the game world a sense of character I can't recall being in any other game. It's the perfect game-centric way of making you care more about your environment.

It's a real step up from the likes of Bioshock and games where you find remnants of something gone before, and notes that you have to read to find out more about what happened there. Not that this is a terrible idea, but I think Rockstar may have set a new precedent for the way you enhance storytelling within a game without pulling you out of the game too much.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Anyone know how to get the Gold Medal trophy? I have plenty of Gold medals for story missions. I also have some for missions where it says "shot accuracy xx%", which I presume are combat missions. I even replayed a few that I had a bronze medal for just to be sure. What am I doing wrong?

By the way, I like how you can replay old story missions after beating the game. When I started one and saw and heard John Marston I felt a weird sense of sadness. What has this game done to me?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
For an easy gold medal (you need one on a combat mission for the achievement), replay the mission you do with the marshal where you follow the gang dude from the Armadillo saloon to the Pleasance House. I think it's the first combat mission in the game. Skip all the cutscenes and run ahead of the Marshal to your horse, ride as fast as you can, then try to get as many headshots as you can. There's only 5 or 6 guys total.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Eva in Peril spoilers. I thought he was in the process of burying her, and Marston interrupted him.

Yeah this is what I thought too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

Wait, you guys actually pay the witness/bounty? I usually just chase them down and knife them to death.

Shooting people in the kneecaps and/or hogtying them is a strange form of "payment", I have to say.

And I don't, as a rule, kill innocent people since the game goes way out of its way to make you feel really bad about it. Beating and stabbing and shooting non-lethally is fine by me, but I draw the line at murder unless it's hilarious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

I try that, but it seems like every time I kill a witness, someone witnesses me doing it, which creates a never ending chain of witness killing until someone finally manages to slip away and find a cop. It's just easier to pay them.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Gazmachine posted:

Bioshock has this narrative habit of offering you the whole complete outline of a subplot right at the beginning, like a book report, and then gradually filling in the specifics in excruciating detail-- but not in a way that gives you any more insight or challenges your assumptions about the narrative arc, just in a way where voice actors doing super affected 30s radio voices gradually confirm exactly what was already set up. The first game has this problem at times but the second one has it over and over and over and man it's annoying, it's so labored and produces so little.

Red Dead Redemption is a lot better on that count. It doesn't overwork the context of each little bit of plot and there are several nice touches (the glass eye in the treasure cache) that are allowed to resonate a little without being ground down to a super fine point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
With the 'shoot 500 enemies from a mounted weapon' achievement, does it matter who I shoot. I noticed it said enemies. Can i just kill random folks riding around and will that count towards the count or do they have to be engaged already fighting me?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

swamp waste posted:

(the glass eye in the treasure cache)
What was the significance of that, again?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Tewratomeh posted:

Shooting people in the kneecaps and/or hogtying them is a strange form of "payment", I have to say.

And I don't, as a rule, kill innocent people since the game goes way out of its way to make you feel really bad about it. Beating and stabbing and shooting non-lethally is fine by me, but I draw the line at murder unless it's hilarious.

Cases of hilarious murder include, but are not limited to:

- Blowing up dynamite camps

- Hogtying people to railroad tracks

- Dead-eye throwing dynamite at random passers-by that are going really fast on horseback

- Hogtying people and leaving them in Tall Trees to get mauled by the local wildlife

- Shooting the random guys getting chased by wolves/bears in the kneecaps

- Murdering anyone in Mexico

- Murdering anyone in West Elizabeth

- Murdering anyone

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
- Hogtying a bunch of people and putting them in a pile under a hanging oil lamp
- Shoving people into campfires

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
After helping a guy get his horse back, shove him off of it once he gets on (tap right trigger with no weapon out / not aiming), which makes the horse go running off at full speed with him chasing after it. Never gets old.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Cases of hilarious murder include, but are not limited to:

- Blowing up dynamite camps

- Hogtying people to railroad tracks

- Dead-eye throwing dynamite at random passers-by that are going really fast on horseback

- Hogtying people and leaving them in Tall Trees to get mauled by the local wildlife

- Shooting the random guys getting chased by wolves/bears in the kneecaps

- Murdering anyone in Mexico

- Murdering anyone in West Elizabeth

- Murdering anyone

All that being said, you know what? It's post endgame anyways, so why the hell am I holding back? gently caress it, it's murderin' time. I think I've earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really HATE the multiplayer experience in this game -- and I think it's because I enjoyed the singleplayer so MUCH. I really wish we could get beyond horrible grindy games where you kill other players for points, because that wasn't what RDR was ABOUT. I wanted to share RDR with other humans but that's just not possible. Maybe it's just a solitary experience, and maybe that's why I liked it so much.

• Locked thread