Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Philip J Fry posted:

- Shoving people into campfires
The entire 'shove' mechanism is really just like having a dedicated 'be an rear end in a top hat' button.

Shoving someone in front of a train just as it's pulling into the station is the finest way to abuse that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

soggybagel posted:

With the 'shoot 500 enemies from a mounted weapon' achievement, does it matter who I shoot. I noticed it said enemies. Can i just kill random folks riding around and will that count towards the count or do they have to be engaged already fighting me?

Has to be an enemy (i.e. shooting at you). The easiest way to get up there seems to be going to getting a posse in Free Roam to try and hold El Presidio from the Army with the gatlings and cannons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

- Murdering anyone

- There's a functional Gatling gun sitting on top of a building in one of the towns in Mexico.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

IRQ posted:

- There's a functional Gatling gun sitting on top of a building in one of the towns in Mexico.
It's the town no one goes to though.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Carbohydrates posted:

What was the significance of that, again?

Anyone? I feel like I'm missing the reference.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Slantedfloors posted:

It's the town no one goes to though.

That's why it's better to head up to El Presidio and man the northwestern gatling gun/cannon.

G_Bomber
Jun 22, 2007

by Debbie Metallica
I came for the Jew wares. (on her tits)

:smithfrog::regd10:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone had one of the "legendary" animals for the hunting challenges vanish?

I was going after the boar for the final hunting challenge, and he showed up on my radar as soon as I got into Stillwater creek, along with the "Kill gordo and collect the pelt message.

The blip was near the river, and about 5 seconds after it showed up, it vanished and hasn't reappeared.

I've tried going back to the area several times (at different times of day)and Gordo hasn't respawned, so I'm thinking he might have ran into the river and died, which makes it impossible to collect the pelt and complete that challenge.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

All that being said, you know what? It's post endgame anyways, so why the hell am I holding back? gently caress it, it's murderin' time. I think I've earned it.

Yeah I just did the same thing. Earned my $5000 bounty riding into Armadillo, murdering any living creature within sight, looting the bank and the saloon and hightailing it out of there only to harass random civilians on the roads. After no one was left to oppose me of course.
I harassed these two dudes riding next to one another. Blew one of their heads off so the other would go and get a posse to start chasing me. Instead something like 12 US Marshals instantly spawn lining the ridge no more than 75 feet away from me and start tearing me to shreds. Luckily I lifted the Armadillo stagecoach and used that for cover.

Speaking of stagecoaches and wagons, why did I never realize off-roading wagons was the most gratifying over the top thing in this game? I just discovered that you can knock cacti over if you hit them hard enough with a wagon. This game.

Mastiff posted:

I really, really HATE the multiplayer experience in this game -- and I think it's because I enjoyed the singleplayer so MUCH. I really wish we could get beyond horrible grindy games where you kill other players for points, because that wasn't what RDR was ABOUT. I wanted to share RDR with other humans but that's just not possible. Maybe it's just a solitary experience, and maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Yeah singleplayer and multiplayer are two wholly different beasts. I don't know what scheme you play singleplayer with but I highly suggest the Hardcore Free Roam for just dicking around and Hardcore Gang Shootout if you want something more focused. But then again I may be biased because I'm a pretty good shot so I frequently decimate the competition.

Double-Action Revolver > *

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'd like to end up in a Free Roam where people aren't dicks and hunt and/or shoot you down. Fuuuck.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Man, finally got to pick this up, raced home and popped it in and 10 minutes into playing, my PS3 fan turned into a loving jet engine that drowns out the sound on the tv. What a bummer. :(

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

fennesz posted:

LeMat Revolver > *

Fixed it for you.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

der juicen posted:

Fixed it for you.

Fires too slow fer my tastes. Maybe you forgot about my trigger finger pardner? :smug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

der juicen posted:

Fixed it for you.

Once I got the Le Mat I found myself just shooting into air just to listen to it fire. The sound in this game is ridiculous.

And I'm not even a TFR goon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The pump-action shotgun is my personal favorite. It just sounds so big and meaty and lethal, and even if you don't kill a guy straightaway, he'll be in no shape to keep fighting. And firing it at multiple guys on horseback is really satisfying, hearing that loud boom and watching them (and usually their horse) go tumbling. And if you aim square at the horse it drops dead instantly and the guy goes flying about 20 feet into the air.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
So, I just found out that the whole not having another passenger on your donkey is bullshit. I picked up a donkey and was just riding around mexico and ran into the lady who (at first I was 100% sure it was going to be an ambush, since there was actually a broken down wagon behind her) wants you to take her into town and bandits chase you while you do so. I was all "aw shucks" since I didn't have a horse, but I road up to her, pushed B, and she jumped right on.

They are telling you the truth in that you can't transport hogtied enemies on a donkey though :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

fennesz posted:

Double-Action Revolver > *

der juicen posted:

LeMat Revolver > *

Them's funny ways to spell "Schofield". :clint:

I like break-action guns. v:shobon:v

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

100% Reward spoilers

The Bureau Uniform plus the Bandana is a rip-roaring good time. Cops ignore you as you go on your killing spree and you don't do anything to your honor. Finally getting to explore the stuntman physics by shooting anyone and everyone.

One thing I finally learned is that while dead bodies will eventually fade away. They leave their hats. I think I had a couple hundred hats in this one small spot of Blackwater from all the killing.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I thought the voice actress for Bonnie was about as bad as it could get...then I heard Jack. It sounds like they got a mumbler with no teeth to do his lines.

Now for a story about how the game can bring people together. My wife was loving around on her laptop while I was playing RDR, and she was only sort of paying attention. I was doing a mission for the Mexican rebel guy (whatever his name is) and he said something about how the most dangerous weapon is truth. John replies with something like "Well, I wish I would get people trying to kill me with TTRUUTH!" The way he said truth sounded like a retarded donkey, and my wife and I laughed about it for several minutes. Now, several days later, just one of us saying "TTRUUTH!" makes the other laugh.

My wife also REALLY likes pushing hookers down stairs when she fucks with this game.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Found a new way to beat the master hunter challenges.

I'd done everything except for killing Brumas the bear and Gordo the boar, and I ended up killing both animals without firing a shot.

When I went after Brumas, I got about halfway up to his cave when the game spawned him about 15 feet in front of Marston.

Unfortunately for Brumas, the game happened to swawn him right on the edge of large dropoff, which he promptly fell off to his death. I would have preferred to have just shot Brumas, since it took me about 20 minutes to get down the hill and find where his corpse had landed.

Gordo on the other hand got killed by some excellent timing and random luck. Unlike his ursine cousin, Gordo spawned somewhere without a cliff, but he neglected to look both ways before crossing the railroad tracks, and got flattened by a well-timed locomotive as he was attempting to charge me.

I love this game.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Them's funny ways to spell "Schofield". :clint:

I like break-action guns. v:shobon:v

Real men use the High Power Pistol.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
!!!!!QUOTE-STRAVAGANZA!!!!!!!!!

Robot Hobo posted:

The entire 'shove' mechanism is really just like having a dedicated 'be an rear end in a top hat' button.

Shoving someone in front of a train just as it's pulling into the station is the finest way to abuse that feature.

I would love R* forever if they retroactively updated GTAIV with this mechanic. The shove in that game is too soft. Still spent a good hour pushing old ladies with shopping down the stairs, though.

Green Puddin posted:

I'd like to end up in a Free Roam where people aren't dicks and hunt and/or shoot you down. Fuuuck.

This is getting on my tits a little too. I just managed the $5,000 bounty challenge (I was something like $5,080 or thereabouts) when some dick came from across the map to shoot me. He stayed for the ride and me and my buddy got something like a 20 kill streak on him. He then stayed still for a bunch of kills, hoping we'd go away or some poo poo. When I got off my horse to walk right in front of him, he started shooting. Problem for him was, I had a semi-auto shotgun equipped. Goooood-night Irene.

My main complaint with the free roam poo poo is the sort of thing that happened last night. I was going into free roam to create a posse with my PSN friends, so that I could then start a gang deathmatch mode so we could play all on the same team. I entered the world in front of a posse of about 5 or 6 who kept loving killing me immediately upon spawning.

when this happens, you lose your menu until you respawn. It took me about five times longer to do something that would have been a case of a couple of menu selections. Bunch of poo poo. Also, the team balancing needs to be fixed so badly. I had a great hardcore team deathmatch round where it was 8 on 8. Couple of people left at the end and the next game was something like 9 against 5. Couple left and then it was something like 8 against 3.

This is loving stupid and needs to be fixed.

IRQ posted:

How do you get the high power pistol in free roam? I've seen many, many dudes 15 levels lower than me that have it.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Gazmachine posted:

How do you get the high power pistol in free roam? I've seen many, many dudes 15 levels lower than me that have it.

It spawns in a chest on the roof of a building at the Tesoro Azul gang hideout.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

stuff about Free Roam

Well I try not to be such a huge douche in RDR so if you want to posse up for whatever let me know. PSN is HappyPantsDance

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Bunch of poo poo. Also, the team balancing needs to be fixed so badly. I had a great hardcore team deathmatch round where it was 8 on 8. Couple of people left at the end and the next game was something like 9 against 5. Couple left and then it was something like 8 against 3.

This is loving stupid and needs to be fixed.

Yeah I played a Hardcore Gang Shootout earlier today that was a 1v2 and I was by myself. I got absolutely demolished in the opening duel (not easy to survive with 2 dudes aiming at your head) and didn't die the rest of the game. poo poo's easy when you don't have to rely on teammates.

Before I forget, does anyone know what exactly sets off an enemy to appear on your radar? From what I can gather it's

1. Sprinting
2. Shooting
3. Jumping (Maybe?)

Although I'm pretty sure if you crouch and shoot you don't appear on enemy radar. Again, I could be wrong though.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

I finished it today. Was expecting an ending that would have you leaving home again, but drat. Still, I got to take revenge on Ross with the very same pistol he gave John.

IRQ posted:

High Power supremacy!

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
Doing high-speed drive-by shootings with the Sawn-Off is incredibly satisfying. It's also the best way to execute Bounty targets on their knees. I just wish I could use it for duels. Absolutely the best gun. El Mariachi knew his poo poo.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
It would be great to try to get a full goon posse together for some cooperative play this weekend. If nothing else we could get the Posse Up! achievement. My 360 gamertag is Alrindel, I'm in the Euro timezone.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

weg posted:

It spawns in a chest on the roof of a building at the Tesoro Azul gang hideout.

Cool, thanks. Does it then stay with you forever, or do you need to grab it every time?

Green Puddin posted:

Well I try not to be such a huge douche in RDR so if you want to posse up for whatever let me know. PSN is HappyPantsDance

Sounds cool, shall do so. If you're on before me, add me. GaryDooton is the name. Thinking of changing my forums name to this. Once I have any hint of disposable income, that is.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Mastiff posted:

I really, really HATE the multiplayer experience in this game -- and I think it's because I enjoyed the singleplayer so MUCH. I really wish we could get beyond horrible grindy games where you kill other players for points, because that wasn't what RDR was ABOUT. I wanted to share RDR with other humans but that's just not possible. Maybe it's just a solitary experience, and maybe that's why I liked it so much.

I can't understand why they didn't include the obvious co-op mode, where the other person plays Marston and the other his horse.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I thought cougars were bad. You really have to listen to hear a bear's growl, otherwise, BEAR PUNT.

e: AND THEY CAN HIT YOU TWICE INSTANTLY GfdufwuqfdwuofqAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGH. 5 bear skins, gone.

Metanaut posted:

I can't understand why they didn't include the obvious co-op mode, where the other person plays Marston and the other his horse.

It'd explain why my horse keeps loving WANDERING. AND RUNNING AWAY FROM ME AFTER I CALL IT.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 17, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

I would love R* forever if they retroactively updated GTAIV with this mechanic. The shove in that game is too soft. Still spent a good hour pushing old ladies with shopping down the stairs, though.

What mechanic does GTA IV not have in the way of shoving? If you press the attack/jump button while targeting someone and you're close enough you shove them pretty hard. They stumble quite a few feet back, and it's anything but "weak". I don't even know what people are talking about when they mention "The Shove Button" in Red Dead Redemption. Is there something I'm missing, because the only way I know to shove someone in RDR is to just bump into them or punch them.

That being said, bumping into someone until, say, they fall off the docks into the water in Thieves' Landing is pretty hilarious.

Edit: VV I assume that's the "fire" button on its own, then?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 17, 2010

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't even know what people are talking about when they mention "The Shove Button" in Red Dead Redemption. Is there something I'm missing, because the only way I know to shove someone in RDR is to just bump into them or punch them.

Dunno about the 360, it's R2 when you're near a person on the ps3.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

What mechanic does GTA IV not have in the way of shoving? If you press the attack/jump button while targeting someone and you're close enough you shove them pretty hard. They stumble quite a few feet back, and it's anything but "weak". I don't even know what people are talking about when they mention "The Shove Button" in Red Dead Redemption. Is there something I'm missing, because the only way I know to shove someone in RDR is to just bump into them or punch them.

That being said, bumping into someone until, say, they fall off the docks into the water in Thieves' Landing is pretty hilarious.

If you pull the right trigger without any weapons out Marston will shove the person to the ground (but it doesn't work in a straight up fistfight). It's a lot more reliable and fun than how it worked in GTA, from what I remember.

But GTA had massive staircases to push people down, so it's all good.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Anyone know about PSN avatars in this game? I opened a chest in New Austin when doing the single missions and it said I had unlocked a PSN avatar. I don't see anything RDR related though when I go to Account Management.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Discomedusae posted:

If you pull the right trigger without any weapons out Marston will shove the person to the ground (but it doesn't work in a straight up fistfight). It's a lot more reliable and fun than how it worked in GTA, from what I remember.

But GTA had massive staircases to push people down, so it's all good.

But GTA also had cops everywhere that were psychically tied to anything Niko & co touched so as soon as you gave someone too firm a handshake they'd be on your rear end.

Unless one of the expansions pulled the stick out of law enforcement's rear end.

Also, it'd be nice if you got weapon titles by killing gang members or animals with guns. I'd love a Shotgunner title but I absolutely hate PvP for this game (which is why I avoid free roam unless someone invites me

...but no one does

GT: Onimorter :unsmith:)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Morter posted:

But GTA also had cops everywhere that were psychically tied to anything Niko & co touched so as soon as you gave someone too firm a handshake they'd be on your rear end.

Yeah, the main thing I love about the Old West is that it's so easy to get away with being a dick. As long as people are bribed/hogtied/silenced, or as long as you can just murder every cop who gets near you and stay out of sight you'll never remain "Wanted" for long.

I remember many times I've murdered a group of cops before any bounty could be called on me, and the Wanted meter just drained because there were no other witnesses out in the empty desert. In GTA IV, if you murder a cop or two you have the goddamn FIB all over you and you pretty much just have to kill yourself at that point.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I do really love being able to end a Wanted pursuit by just killing all the lawmen. Very refreshing for a Rockstar game.

MC Colon Backslash
Jan 7, 2001

Dealing with it
I've been following this thread forever while playing the game and trying my best to avoid spoilers. Every now and then I'd accidentally highlight some block of text and get some clue as to what happens at the end of the game. It turns out what I thought was going to happen was so far off I was a tad dissapointed in the actual ending.

I thought that I read that John would get murdered by the army and Ross like he did, but then he'd go to heaven and confront god. At that point you would get the option to shoot god or not. I guess that was the stranger spoilers getting mixed in with wether or not to shoot Ross' wife and brother. It'd almost be the same as the comic Preacher which would have been kind of awesome

Imagine my surprise at the end where you're worm food and you just get to ride around as his dorky son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P455W012D
Mar 20, 2007

"Smells like a Squatch"

Carbohydrates posted:

I do really love being able to end a Wanted pursuit by just killing all the lawmen. Very refreshing for a Rockstar game.

So does that mean you do not have to pay off anything then

• Locked thread