Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bonnie.

My thoughts too but not really cheap yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337335

Would this be a dumb idea? I've always kind of wanted one after I missed out on a nice deal on one months ago. Although I rode by one and it was ridden by a rather small woman.... the ergonomics looked funny and the bike was rather large, but I still kind of WANT it. Looks like I can get the side fairings and front fairing for about 125$ a piece on ebay. Seems decent condition otherwise with new tires and chain/sprocket an 15k total miles.

Argh I don't want to have to explain the the folks why I got another (3rd) bike. It'd be kind of a nice running mini-project though.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Except the non working brake lights (could be simple, could be the start of a huge nightmare), the crash at 40mph, etc. etc.

I'd say it's worth closer to 1000-1500$, especially considering the DMV is going to get you for at least 200$ on the purchase of the bike.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I just let slip a beautiful 1973 CL350 in candy panther gold (that beautiful green) in Minnesota. I'm still in California. It was $550. I was prepared to fly there and ride it back. Just like last time. :negative:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Rontalvos posted:

I just let slip a beautiful 1973 CL350 in candy panther gold (that beautiful green) in Minnesota. I'm still in California. It was $550. I was prepared to fly there and ride it back. Just like last time. :negative:

Too bad. I probably could've held it for ya if it was in the Twin Cities area.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

eviljelly posted:

Too bad. I probably could've held it for ya if it was in the Twin Cities area.

I'm guessing Minneapolis/St Paul is the twin cities area? It was in St Cloud.

You see this poo poo come up on craigslist again you loving let me know. Not this EXACT bike but the same color/configuration. This goes for all of you. I will fly out. Oh god that green. :swoon:

Click here for the full 984x734 image.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 17, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone needs to buy this. And this.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Someone needs to buy this.

All of those tiny bikes would be so useless for me, but oh-so-awesome :swoon:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rontalvos posted:

You see this poo poo come up on craigslist again you loving let me know. Not this EXACT bike but the same color/configuration. This goes for all of you. I will fly out. Oh god that green. :swoon:

Buy one local to you and take it to a paint place. It should be trivial for any decent paint shop to mix that color for you. I can't imagine a shop charging more than a couple hundred bucks to shoot the parts for you if you bring them in.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Buy one local to you and take it to a paint place. It should be trivial for any decent paint shop to mix that color for you. I can't imagine a shop charging more than a couple hundred bucks to shoot the parts for you if you bring them in.

Sure I could, but that would be cheating. It wouldn't feel right and I'd always know it's not correct. Plus I haven't found a place that makes reproduction decals for the '73s so it could never be just right.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

I'm getting this.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1797839709.html

1973 Honda CB450 $650

I'm sold. This is going to be my first bike.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

charliecantsurf posted:

I'm getting this.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1797839709.html

1973 Honda CB450 $650

I'm sold. This is going to be my first bike.

Jump on that poo poo real quick. Email him asap saying you'll come by tomorrow. I waited a few hours after discovery for a similar bike at a similar price and I was 4th in line to see it, I didn't get it.

prof.vanhellsing
Dec 30, 2008
I'm still searching for a ninja 250. I stumbled upon this one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1797937716.html

The bike looks decent. I don't care much about the scuffles on the fairings. My only concern is about the current registration of the bike which is out of date. Should I get the owner to register the bike first before I buy it from him because there might be hidden fees?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Someone needs to buy this.

Now that would be one hell of a fly and ride

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prof.vanhellsing posted:

The bike looks decent. I don't care much about the scuffles on the fairings. My only concern is about the current registration of the bike which is out of date. Should I get the owner to register the bike first before I buy it from him because there might be hidden fees?
From what I understand of your wacky state, you will have to pay back registration and late fees if he doesn't. You can use it as a bargaining tool, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

prof.vanhellsing posted:

IIRC, the fees will be the ~50$ that the owner of the bike says they are. He says he's willing to knock 50$ off the price for that, I'd go for it. Jump on it though because good priced beginner bikes sell fast, and that looks about perfect.

prof.vanhellsing
Dec 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

IIRC, the fees will be the ~50$ that the owner of the bike says they are. He says he's willing to knock 50$ off the price for that, I'd go for it. Jump on it though because good priced beginner bikes sell fast, and that looks about perfect.

This sounds about right. But what if there are more fees on the bike that I don't know about. Is this possible? I just don't want to be stuck paying way too much money to get it registered.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

prof.vanhellsing posted:

This sounds about right. But what if there are more fees on the bike that I don't know about. Is this possible? I just don't want to be stuck paying way too much money to get it registered.

Check that he has the registration paper that shows the dates it expired. If he does and there's a sticker, the chances of it being a scam are so low as to be infinitesimal.

Also you can just drop the info of the bike into the vin calculator here:
https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do
and that'll tell you the exact fees to the dollar :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

Check that he has the registration paper that shows the dates it expired. If he does and there's a sticker, the chances of it being a scam are so low as to be infinitesimal.

Also you can just drop the info of the bike into the vin calculator here:
https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do
and that'll tell you the exact fees to the dollar :)

Haha. Nice tool there, California. Oh that cockamamie registration system isn't a thinly veiled revenue enhancer, oh no, not at all. :jerkbag:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Haha. Nice tool there, California. Oh that cockamamie registration system isn't a thinly veiled revenue enhancer, oh no, not at all. :jerkbag:

I've just started viewing it as my cost to ride year round.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've learned to ride recently on a friend's bike but know very little about purchasing a new ride. I have read that 250cc is a good way to start out if you don't have a lot of experience on the road (I don't) and I've also read that Virago 250's get great mileage which is a bonus. Any thoughts on this bike and/or the price they are asking?

CRAIGSLIST LINK

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So what do you guys think of a Yamaha VStar Classic (650) as a first bike? I've heard some good things, like the price, and love the look. Of course I need to actually go test drive it, but I was wondering if you guys had any experience with one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

So what do you guys think of a Yamaha VStar Classic (650) as a first bike? I've heard some good things, like the price, and love the look. Of course I need to actually go test drive it, but I was wondering if you guys had any experience with one.

My dad has one and it's a really nice bike for a starter. Very well behaved, nice and smooth, and has a nice sound.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I've learned to ride recently on a friend's bike but know very little about purchasing a new ride. I have read that 250cc is a good way to start out if you don't have a lot of experience on the road (I don't) and I've also read that Virago 250's get great mileage which is a bonus. Any thoughts on this bike and/or the price they are asking?

CRAIGSLIST LINK

That price seems right, and I've never owned one, but the Virago is spoken highly of around here.

As for the 250cc thing, don't get in your head that low CCs = beginner. There are some 250s that will eat new riders alive. While looking at certain bikes, google for their horsepower; anything under 70ish is noob-friendly. However, in the 55-70 range, make sure you can be responsible with the power and not hamfist all the controls, they can still get you in to trouble.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Unzip and Attack posted:

CRAIGSLIST LINK

I think that's far too much to ask for that bike, but I could be wrong. A bike that old that has been ridden that little, I'd be VERY cautious of the tires on it. Seems a fair bet they're the OEs, and they're dried and rotted to hell.

250cc bikes often make good starters, but I'm going to reiterate what AncientTV said. Don't worry about the displacement, worry about the horsepower. There are some pretty high strung 250s out there that I'm not sure I would recommend for a total n00b.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Not bad as a first bike. A little heavy, but the ultra-low seat is confidence inspiring. I've heard some people say that the 650 really lacks for power on the highway though, as in has trouble maintaining 80mph in a headwind. Could be that most cruiser riders insist on gigantic windshields, though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Goon opinions? Questions to ask (other than when he last changed the air filter, last rebuild, hours on the motor etc)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170501300319

I have a KDX250 with a bad motor. It's a 250 and an SR to boot, so is a bit of a pig compared to the late-model 220 I had a year or two ago. Instead of dicking around with a professional rebuild, am thinking I should just pick up a 200 or 220 with a good motor, strip the 250 and sell the frame and bottom end, and use the plastics and cycle parts (which are all in VGC - PO basically did a fairly complete rebuild and hosed up with the motor) for spares.

I want something to do MX practice days and occasional trail riding (or green laning, as we call it in these here parts) that doesn't cost a shitload, as I have two other bikes to spend money on. If anyone has other suggestions that don't involve a Serow/XR250/TTR (I can gently perambulate on my TY, and it does better wheelies)or a nearly-new MX/Enduro bike (£££/$$$) I'd be happy to hear them. :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Unzip and Attack posted:

CRAIGSLIST LINK

You can find much better bikes for that price. Unless you really want it.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I've heard some people say that the 650 really lacks for power on the highway though, as in has trouble maintaining 80mph in a headwind.

I find that hard to believe unless the headwinds are gale force winds.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

My 500 does fine on highways, with a passenger, with a bunch of camping gear. I was doing 80-90 mph and could easily have gone a bit faster.

Hell, people gave me poo poo in another thread because I assumed 250s couldn't do highway speeds with a passenger and luggage.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
edit: disregard

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 22, 2010

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Doctor Zero posted:

You can find much better bikes for that price. Unless you really want it.

Any recommendations? A friend of mine offered to sell me his '02 Honda Shadow for $3000.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Unzip and Attack posted:

Any recommendations? A friend of mine offered to sell me his '02 Honda Shadow for $3000.

Depends on the Shadow. VLX 600 = pass @ that price, ACE 750/1100 = slightly below market and well worth investigating, Spirit = eh, in the wheelhouse, but negotiate anyway. Obviously, condition and extries affect the numbers and your taste/requirements come first. All good stuff, but if you can handle the VLX, you can handle the 750, and you'll likely get more use out of it.

Doh, there was also the Aero and Sabre variants--you get the point. All with different styling cues, dimensions, and powerplants.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 23, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Marv Hushman posted:

Depends on the Shadow. VLX 600 = pass @ that price, ACE 750/1100 = slightly below market and well worth investigating, Spirit = eh, in the wheelhouse, but negotiate anyway. Obviously, condition and extries affect the numbers and your taste/requirements come first. All good stuff, but if you can handle the VLX, you can handle the 750, and you'll likely get more use out of it.

Doh, there was also the Aero and Sabre variants--you get the point. All with different styling cues, dimensions, and powerplants.

I believe pre-2004 Shadows in the 600-750CC range were chain drive, the 2004 + Aero models had shaft drives, which might be kind of nice. i've seen a few for around 3500 or so. Spirits were always chain driven, at some point all shadows, maybe 2006 or 2007 and up were all shafties. Theres the Saber variants which I believe were 1100CC and always shaft driven, not made anymore, probably replace by the VTX series.

If you're interested in cruisers... i've seen a few Suzi Intruders for very reasonable prices, also Kawasaki Vulcans are a few to consider, the Vulcan 500 can be found for pretty cheap if you're looking into a beginner.

edit: Also can anyone give me a perfectly reasonable and logical way I can justify purchasing a 3rd bike for myself? I have like over 8000$ and I kind of want something else but I can't think of what i'd add to my collection.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 23, 2010

prof.vanhellsing
Dec 30, 2008
What are the pros and cons of buying a bike and having someone pretty much gift the bike to you or list on the title that it was sold for a couple hundred dollars instead of the real price? Cost of registration fees would be lower, but I also heard if the bike was "bought" for around $200 that insurance would only cover you for that much in case of collisions. Is this true? Should I cheat the system ??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insurance pays on value to replace, not what you paid, unless you negotiate an actual-value policy, but that's more for things that are worth more than book prices suggest.

Still, you should consider talking to the agent. How much it will save on registration depends on where you are, as well.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

prof.vanhellsing posted:

What are the pros and cons of buying a bike and having someone pretty much gift the bike to you or list on the title that it was sold for a couple hundred dollars instead of the real price?

In Michigan, that's pretty much standard practice. Strangely the only time I got a hassle while registering was the time I bought a salvage bike and really did pay a ridiculously low-price for the bike. v:shobon:v

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Doctor Zero posted:

In Michigan, that's pretty much standard practice. Strangely the only time I got a hassle while registering was the time I bought a salvage bike and really did pay a ridiculously low-price for the bike. v:shobon:v

I find it interesting that they can't address this revenue loss, but they can assemble a multi-agency task force to bust people bringing in nickel deposit cans from out of state.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rontalvos posted:

Related note and an open question to all--does anyone know what it is about the greater Minneapolis/St Paul area that makes it a mecca for quality vintage UJM bikes and motorcycles in general? Even by raw numbers, it tends to have the most CL cycle ads--last time I bothered to count, I think it dwarfed whole regions of the country. I've read vague accounts of it being "bike friendly," but it seems to defy logic, at least climate-wise.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Marv Hushman posted:

I find it interesting that they can't address this revenue loss, but they can assemble a multi-agency task force to bust people bringing in nickel deposit cans from out of state.

Here in NJ they started sending out forms telling used car buyers they underpaid on registration. The problem is they use NADA value, so every used car is underpaid and everyone gets them. I think most people just throw them out.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Doctor Zero posted:

I find that hard to believe unless the headwinds are gale force winds.

Just going off what's been reported to me by other Virago/V-Star riders. No matter what Yamaha rates the 650 engine at, a lot of people are claiming that it feels absolutely gutless at highway speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Tsaven Nava posted:

Just going off what's been reported to me by other Virago/V-Star riders. No matter what Yamaha rates the 650 engine at, a lot of people are claiming that it feels absolutely gutless at highway speed.

I think it was a gripe going back to initial product launch, because I wanted one at the time and researched the hell out of the segment. Wound up with the comparable VLX years later by happenstance. When they say these will keep up with Brand X on the highway, it's absolutely true--you're just going to feel like Yeager closing in on Mach 1 the entire time.