Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Hey, I've got a question:

What happens if you start 'The Wronged Woman' before the last mission, then complete it after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Kragger99 posted:

Second from the left on the top row is Aztec Gold. I'm pretty sure all these are still available after all the missions are completed.

Oh wow....I never found that one. Looks like i am heading back to mexico. In a stage coach, which I will not skip.

I always liked how there was an achievement in GTA 4 for taking a long cab ride and not skipping it. I wonder if there is one in this game. Looks like I am about to find out.

Edit:
Son of a...
As soon as I posted this, my stage coach was run off the road by bandits attacking a DIFFERENT stage coach, and the bandits killed my driver. gently caress.
this loving game.
I love it.

Edit 2:

I walk to thieves landing. I catch the coach there. That coach gets destroyed crossing the train tracks at Macfairlanes ranch. I am now standing over the dead bodies of my driver, the 2 horses, and a innocent passerby caught up in the carnage. The stage coach is on it's side, on the platform of Macfarlane Ranch train station. I am going to catch the coach here and see what happens. I think God doesn't want me to get to mexico.

Edit 3

This driver wont go any further than just outside Fort Mercer, I guess he is too much of a pussy to drive past the big bad bandits. I get out of the coach, and am pounced by a bobcat. The adventure continues.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 18, 2010

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

What happens if you start 'The Wronged Woman' before the last mission, then complete it after?

No idea about that one, but if you do the last part of 'Atzec Gold' after finishing the game apparently Basilio comments on how you look younger.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished the gatling gun train mission in Mexico and absolutely loved how before the mission, De Santa told you, "My friend, if you make it back, we shall pay you... twenty thousand pesos." Then you finish the mission and receive about $80.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Fly Molo posted:

I just finished the gatling gun train mission in Mexico and absolutely loved how before the mission, De Santa told you, "My friend, if you make it back, we shall pay you... twenty thousand pesos." Then you finish the mission and receive about $80.

You get the actual reward after a few more missions.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Well, that was an amusing glitch.

Just had to do the mission where you stop the rebels from stealing the supply train after it gets to that little town, and when the cutscene that shows the dynamite strapped to the bridge played, it apparently hadn't loaded that part of the scenery, as the dynamite was hovering in the middle of a big, brown void. Then when the bridge did blow, it didn't actually fall apart like it was supposed to. there were lots of splashes and the sounds of the pieces crashing down, but the bridge remained intact. It was made all the more hilarious by Marston walking up to where the gap was supposed to be, and looking down in disbelief at... a perfectly fine, unharmed bridge.

Also, when Ricketts is admonishing you for playing both sides of the fence, I couldn't help but chuckle seeing as how I hadn't done any missions for DeSanta or the rebels, only his. It was a bit of a "What the hell are you even talking about?" moment.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

I do really love being able to end a Wanted pursuit by just killing all the lawmen. Very refreshing for a Rockstar game.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I shoot their drat dog that I assume found me, also.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

How often do people gently caress around in Free Roam here? I've played the Single Player to bits, but haven't had too much fun online.

also: how do you sign up for the social club? Clicking "Sign Up" on the site just dumps me at a page with a xenon sign.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 18, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

How often do people gently caress around in Free Roam here? I've played the Single Player to bits, but haven't had too much fun online.

also: how do you sign up for the social club? Clicking "Sign Up" on the site just dumps me at a page with a xenon sign.

I would suggest that you mess around in Gang Shootouts or other various game modes to get used to

1. How people play. They're vindictive assholes.
2. Used to the aiming schemes. You should either be using Casual or nothing. Unless you're playing Hardcore that is.

Then I'd jump into Free Roam. I can't even count the number of times I've had a teammate kill me because I "stole" his kill or took "his" gun, etc. As soon as you realize everyone will probably try to kill you on sight, you'll do fine in Free Roam. Unfortunately I like to take my time with things so Free Roam isn't something I play alone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Slantedfloors posted:

I did everything for that mission before finishing the game except for visiting the grave afterwards, which I did with Jack and it worked fine.

I don't get why so many people were sperging over the end game aside from Jack's ambient dialog being pretty irritating

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

fennesz posted:

I would suggest that you mess around in Gang Shootouts or other various game modes to get used to

1. How people play. They're vindictive assholes.
2. Used to the aiming schemes. You should either be using Casual or nothing. Unless you're playing Hardcore that is.

Then I'd jump into Free Roam. I can't even count the number of times I've had a teammate kill me because I "stole" his kill or took "his" gun, etc. As soon as you realize everyone will probably try to kill you on sight, you'll do fine in Free Roam. Unfortunately I like to take my time with things so Free Roam isn't something I play alone.

Any big groups of goons ever get on and posse up and then run trains on everyone?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think I beat the game...

John is dead and now I am him son, any missions left? Any sweet revenge? Or is it just free roam?

Guess I can try online now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

I think I beat the game...

John is dead and now I am him son, any missions left? Any sweet revenge? Or is it just free roam?

Guess I can try online now.
If you haven't seen the credits, you haven't beaten the game.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Just finished trying out the multiplayer. Shootouts are mad fun, I didn't really see any vindictiveness. I found free-for-alls with 4-5 players the best, though. It came down to creeping around Armadillo waiting for someone to start shooting and give away their position, and then stalking them for a kill. It wasn't nearly as frustrating as the 16 player gang games, I felt like I actually had room to think and move around.

Free Roam kinda sucked at first. There were some assholes but mostly it was just really empty and disorganised. Eventually I made a posse myself and ran around with some other guy in a stagecoach doing the hideouts, which redeemed the whole thing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Mercury Crusader posted:

Coincidentally, Aztec Gold was also the last stranger mission I needed before 100% the game.

Same here.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

strwrsxprt posted:

If you haven't seen the credits, you haven't beaten the game.

Okay, there we go. This game was awesome. John Marston owns. One of my favorite characters, his voice work is amazing and his character is as tough as balls.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Any big groups of goons ever get on and posse up and then run trains on everyone?

I missed out on the release rush of goons (that I know anyway) griefing people in RDR Free Roam, so I wouldn't really know.

I'm sure you could spam the metatags and get a pretty decent group going though.

e: Legend of the West outfit is lame as gently caress.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
On this evening, I was crossing the Great Plains of the Northwest, when - on the top of a hill - there stood the last of the Buffalo. Silhouetted against the setting sun, the solitary animal appeared like a silent memento for this noble race of creatures that once roamed the plains in such great abundance. A tear ran down my dusty cheek, leaving a salty trail of regret, as I contemplated the perishability of all things living and beautiful. The big beast snuffled the grass, then turned to me with muscles the size of melons moving effortlessly beneath its shaggy hide. As our eyes met, I thought I could see a glimmer of recognition in its suprisingly peaceful eyes. For just one fleeting moment there was some kind of mutual understanding, that, yes, we are - in some way, through a link far in the past of this here earth - part of one and the same. Then I shot him between the eyes for five gamerscore.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Discomedusae posted:

Free Roam kinda sucked at first. There were some assholes but mostly it was just really empty and disorganised. Eventually I made a posse myself and ran around with some other guy in a stagecoach doing the hideouts, which redeemed the whole thing.

Was that you punishing me for shooting your horse that one time by making it a point to kill my horse and literally walking to the waypoint? Because for some reason I found that hilarious.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sco Dylan posted:

Just use normal, then it snaps on but won't lock on.

You just have to navigate your cursor NEAR an enemy and tap AIM to get a snap, then you are free from there.

You're right, this is better. Thank you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

GhostDog posted:

On this evening, I was crossing the Great Plains of the Northwest, when - on the top of a hill - there stood the last of the Buffalo. Silhouetted against the setting sun, the solitary animal appeared like a silent memento for this noble race of creatures that once roamed the plains in such great abundance. A tear ran down my dusty cheek, leaving a salty trail of regret, as I contemplated the perishability of all things living and beautiful. The big beast snuffled the grass, then turned to me with muscles the size of melons moving effortlessly beneath its shaggy hide. As our eyes met, I thought I could see a glimmer of recognition in its suprisingly peaceful eyes. For just one fleeting moment there was some kind of mutual understanding, that, yes, we are - in some way, through a link far in the past of this here earth - part of one and the same. Then I shot him between the eyes for five gamerscore.

Manifest... DESTINY :911:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GhostDog posted:

This is beautiful. Can I put this in the OP?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

IRQ posted:

I don't get why so many people were sperging over the end game aside from Jack's ambient dialog being pretty irritating

Well that's pretty much it, what more do you need? It isn't about my immersion, it's about playing a character like John who's cool and gruff and fits right in to the gameworld vs. playing a character like Jack who is basically a smaller and more annoying version of John.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

I just got to mexico. How far into the game am I?

You could say that you're ... so far, so far away.

From the end. :haw:

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

IRQ posted:

The reason for my slight dislike was that I felt very attached to John. I had played the whole game making him a decent guy -- doing what was right. Then to get him screwed over at the end just felt like all my work was for nothing. Once I beat the game I turned off my console and didn't even think of playing again for a day or two. However, after playing a bit as Jack I am starting to get past that and it doesn't bother me as much. John is gone and there is nothing I can do (except start a new game I suppose.)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ShowTime posted:

This is beautiful. Can I put this in the OP?

Of course. Red Dead Redemption FanFiction :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Remmiz posted:

The reason for my slight dislike was that I felt very attached to John. I had played the whole game making him a decent guy -- doing what was right. Then to get him screwed over at the end just felt like all my work was for nothing.
That's how I felt at the end; it was even quite emotional (for a videogame, at least) as I realised that he was going to get shot to poo poo once he walked out of the barn. John's quest to gain what's right there in the game's title - redemption - by doing the right thing for his family and the other people he encountered was all rendered worthless because Ross was a vindictive rear end in a top hat who didn't like loose ends. It was thematically appropriate, yes, but still kind of a downer. I'd come to rather like John.

By the way, in the endgame, is there anything extra if you disarm Ross in the final duel rather than killing him? I was tempted to try it, just to see if Jack would give some "I'm a better man than you" speech, but I panicked and ended up emptying my automatic's entire magazine into his face. Which was pretty satisfying, I have to admit.

And then I shot all his ducks.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Payndz posted:

By the way, in the endgame, is there anything extra if you disarm Ross in the final duel rather than killing him? I was tempted to try it, just to see if Jack would give some "I'm a better man than you" speech, but I panicked and ended up emptying my automatic's entire magazine into his face. Which was pretty satisfying, I have to admit.

You can't disarm in any story duel unless it specifically tells you to, which, so far as I remember, means in a single stranger mission. I tried a dozen times on the guy in Blackwater before I just said gently caress it and filled his head with lead.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Payndz posted:

You have to kill him, trying to disarm him will cause you to lose the duel. I found that out the hard way. So I loaded an earlier save before I had picked up the mission at all and instead of not killing his wife and brother(cousin?) I blew their brains out too.

e:fb

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Payndz posted:

That's how I felt at the end; it was even quite emotional (for a videogame, at least) as I realised that he was going to get shot to poo poo once he walked out of the barn. John's quest to gain what's right there in the game's title - redemption - by doing the right thing for his family and the other people he encountered was all rendered worthless because Ross was a vindictive rear end in a top hat who didn't like loose ends. It was thematically appropriate, yes, but still kind of a downer. I'd come to rather like John.
The ending wasn't about John's redemption, it was about Jack's redemption. You can only get the "Redeemed" achievement by completing Jack's final stranger mission, making it evident that the real redemption involves Jack killing Ross.

quote:

By the way, in the endgame, is there anything extra if you disarm Ross in the final duel rather than killing him?
You have to kill him.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

You could say that you're ... so far, so far away.

From the end. :haw:

I wish there was a way to play that song again, I was really enjoying that moment and screwed it all up by shooting a deer and getting off my horse to skin it.

VV (I meant in game, but that works. :v: )

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 18, 2010

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

sirbeefalot posted:

I wish there was a way to play that song again, I was really enjoying that moment and screwed it all up by shooting a deer and getting off my horse to skin it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
I like this video for the song, its got some great video of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEM7R60X8Cc

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Just beat the game and got a nice little endgame glitch: There is a single splotch of blood about head height right on the spot where John got gunned down. Never forget, Jack. Never forget. :911:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does this game have any DLC content that you only get with a new copy? I want to snag a goon's used copy at some point, but I might have to get it new if I'm going to have to pay 15 bucks anyway for a different colored horse or whatever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does this game have any DLC content that you only get with a new copy? I want to snag a goon's used copy at some point, but I might have to get it new if I'm going to have to pay 15 bucks anyway for a different colored horse or whatever.

There was stuff you only got with preorders, and none of it is available for purchase now, unless you buy it off someone with a code already.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm on my second playthrough. I missed it the first time because I called my Saddler when I got to Mexico, so this time, I wanted to enjoy it. Less than a minute in, I spotted a Hungarian Half-Bred, so I lassoed it, but I didn't want to get off to tame it and lose the music, so I ended up just running around in circles with it lassoed for a good five minutes or so.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The DLC is all preorder stuff only (so far) but none of it is critical. They are:

- Deadly Assassin: gets ya more deadeye, but the eyepatch looks dumb as poo poo and the method to acquire it is kinda buggy
- Golden Guns: Double fame for kills made with them, but they're the weakest guns in the game so you'll stop using them rather quickly
- War horse: it is a good horse, but there are other good horses, and I think the Standardbred is faster and the Halfbred is tougher.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I didn't pre-order the game, but I did the Best Buy store pick-up thing along with Super Mario Galaxy 2, and got the War Horse. Some RDR wiki thing says the War Horse has a bit higher speed of the Standardbred and higher toughness than the Half-Bred, but I didn't really notice the difference when swapping horses around, and the Standardbred seems faster to me. Regardless, the War Horse seems to die from cougar attacks and snake bites just as easily as any other horse I have. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Everybody always mentions the song you hear on entering Mexico, but I don't remember anybody bringing up the song that plays near the end of the game when you're heading home from killing Dutch up in the mountains. Something about that song just fit so perfectly, it was just such a calm moment after spending the whole game fighting and struggling. And then you get home and everything is alright again, for a little while at least. But having that song play sort of lulls you into a false sense of security, and you almost feel like the game's coming to a close and all will be well.

• Locked thread