Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
So, my DM is running a Dark Sun thing in 4e even though it's not out yet, and I'm planning on playing a Thri-Kreen ranger. To prepare I've been reading up on whatever stuff I can find of them. Most of the stuff I found was pretty old, though, from when they were still basically preying mantises with hands slapped one them. Can anybody tell me more about their empire and how they live? Or point me someplace I can read up more about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
All I remember is that they find elves tasty and gather in hunting parties / tribes.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Or point me someplace I can read up more about them?

Thri-Kreen of Athas

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.

Squizzle posted:

:eng101: Of the three kank castes, only those of the food producer caste actually produce the honey-globes! Brood queens and soldiers--and I must assume that the spitters are some type of soldier--do not.

They obviously were carrying some as packed lunches. :colbert:.

Regarding how to get into the feel of thri-kreen - they are voracious eaters that never sleep and their most basic form of community is the pack or clutch. Carnivores, the thri-kreen of athas are keenly in touch with the land in which they inhabit, never over-hunting or unduly straining the ecosystem like other races might. Their definition of "food" does not exclude sentient races. While thri-kreen have no natural dislike of elves, those that taste elf flesh can become "addicted" (they really like it) and pursue more elven prey from then on.

The original boxed set described them as being obsessed with the hunt - which makes sense as they are always hungry and on the move in the wild. A ranger fits with this concept perfectly, especially the thri-kreen's wisdom about managing the fragile food web of the wastelands. Another roleplaying element to remember is that when joining a party, a thri-kreen can bee seen as especially aggressive or bullish as it vies for dominance of its new "pack".
Once the pecking order is determined, however they become fearlessly loyal to their new clutchmates and unquestioning in their defense.

Thri-kreen own.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

One thing I really like about playing Thri-kreen is that they don't "get" sleep. Having to sleep is totally alien to them, and they think it's just the stupidest thing they've ever seen.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone figured out what Thri-Kreen and Mul's racial stat modifiers are? I'm assuming Thri-Kreen have Con as one and Muls get Str as one but I dunno.

Edit: apparently Thri-Kreen are Dex/Wis. Because we don't have enough of those already or anything. And it's kind of odd that they share Elves' stats, considering.

vvvvv yeah i was thinking of making that joke too

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 18, 2010

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

CombatWombat posted:

Edit: apparently Thri-Kreen are Dex/Wis. Because we don't have enough of those already or anything. And it's kind of odd that they share Elves' stats, considering.
You are what you eat.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laex posted:

I've run the Dark Sun Encounters (dunno if its :filez: got a scanned copy but its not something that can be bought anyways V:shobon:V ) for my group and they are loving it, the way the rules handle survival and lack of supplies is easy to track and understand :3: and I can't wait to see more info on themes.

Please yes, I can't make it to any but would love to run it for my group/force someone from mygroup to run it.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I've managed to obtain a copy, so I'm now just waiting on a ruling from a Mod on whether or not we're able to share this.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Anisotropic Shader posted:

A ranger fits with this concept perfectly, especially the thri-kreen's wisdom about managing the fragile food web of the wastelands.
I played a Thri-Kreen ranger once in 3e. He got nicknamed Ranger Tick. :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Crap, my local game/comic shop isn't participating in Encounters or Free RPG Day, because it doesn't result in enhanced sales for them.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Crap, my local game/comic shop isn't participating in Encounters or Free RPG Day, because it doesn't result in enhanced sales for them.

With that reasoning it's a wonder your local game/comic shop stocks RPG material at all. Not really known for selling well or carrying stores through lean times.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

my FLGS is running a sale on pre-orders for materials related to the free RPG day stuff, there are going to be a ton of people there Saturday

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anisotropic Shader posted:

the thri-kreen of athas are keenly in touch with the land in which they inhabit, never over-hunting or unduly straining the ecosystem like other races might.

as a side note, I hate this characterization wherever it appears whether it describes sentient bug men or noble redskinned savages. life doesn't work that way

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Liesmith posted:

as a side note, I hate this characterization wherever it appears whether it describes sentient bug men or noble redskinned savages. life doesn't work that way

come on dude the plains indians existed in natural harmony with the buffalo and didn't overhunt that poo poo at all it is common knowledge

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Getting people into your store and enjoying products which you sell in your store doesn't increase sales? news to me.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gomi posted:

come on dude the plains indians existed in natural harmony with the buffalo and didn't overhunt that poo poo at all it is common knowledge

imagine four buffalo on the edge of a cliff

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
Has anyone succesfully downloaded the pregen characters for the Free RPG thing? every time I try to the .zip is corrupted.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The store I work at participates in Encounters, but not Free RPG Day. It didn't participate in Free Comic Book Day either, though. So, while the Encounters gets people in to play, our store is a wee bit too small to start throwing out free stuff at the moment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The most badass thing about thri-kreen is their total disregard for treasure. If it isn't food or something that facilitates killing food, gently caress it.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

The most badass thing about thri-kreen is that they are 8-foot-tall talking insects :colbert:

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

Strontosaurus posted:

The most badass thing about thri-kreen is that they are 8-foot-tall talking insects :colbert:

that eat elves :colbert:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Liesmith posted:

I don't think it's so much "in tune with nature blah blah blah" as it is "when prey in one area becomes scarce, the Thri-Kreen know to move on and get dinner somewhere else to stop the prey from disappearing altogether."

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I've managed to obtain a copy, so I'm now just waiting on a ruling from a Mod on whether or not we're able to share this.

Blargh, we need this ruling so I can print out the page from the last encounter we just did. Got Yuka a beetle mount and I need the stats for it. :(

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I did send an email to the 2 mods that have email addresses listed, asking for clarification, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

(Or I'll get probated for bothering the mods.)

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheAnomaly posted:

I don't think it's so much "in tune with nature blah blah blah" as it is "when prey in one area becomes scarce, the Thri-Kreen know to move on and get dinner somewhere else to stop the prey from disappearing altogether."

that's super generous of you. if you're right it's only a little dumb but I suspect it's the in tune with nature thing, simply because that's a noble savage trait and thri-kreen already have a bunch of those.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Liesmith posted:

imagine four buffalo on the edge of a cliff

Head-Smashed-In Elf Jump?

And the most nomadic race in the fluff was the elf, and there was no "this is because they are in tune with nature and do not wish to strain the land" spin put on it. The Thri-Kreen were flat-out noble savages.

Dedekind fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 18, 2010

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

KGBAgent185 posted:

Blargh, we need this ruling so I can print out the page from the last encounter we just did. Got Yuka a beetle mount and I need the stats for it. :(

That's a portion of the whole small enough that I'm pretty sure it constitutes fair use:

2 KANK SOLDIERS
Level 4 Soldier
Large natural beast (mount)
XP 175 each

HP 54 (bloodied 27)
AC 20, Fortitude 17, Reflex 16, Will 14
Speed 8
Resist 5 acid, 5 poison

Initiative +7
Perception +8

Traits:
Grabbed Advantage (mount): A friendly rider 4th level or higher mounted on the soldier has combat advantage against any creature grabbed by the soldier.

Standard Actions:
(Melee Basic) Bite * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +9 vs. AC, or +11 against creatures grabbed by the soldier. While the soldier has a creature grabbed, it can use bite against the grabbed creature only.
Hit: 2d4 damage, or 2d4+10 damage against creatures grabbed by the soldier. In addition, the soldier grabs the target.

{Melee} Kank Venom (poison) * Recharge 5, 6
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature grabbed by the soldier); +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is slowed and takes ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends both). First Failed Saving Throw: The target is immobilized (save ends).

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.

Liesmith posted:

that's super generous of you. if you're right it's only a little dumb but I suspect it's the in tune with nature thing, simply because that's a noble savage trait and thri-kreen already have a bunch of those.

It could be worse, they could be a race of travelling nomads that practice thievery as an art and are not trusted by more settled races and only trust those of their particular tribe or clan.

Wagons sold separately.

edit: To be fair this isn't the point you were getting at and I'm dumb as hell. :downs:

edit 2:

Dedekind posted:

Head-Smashed-In Elf Jump?

I've never heard of buffalo jumps before and I am totally using this in my Dark Sun game.

Anisotropic Shader fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 18, 2010

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Wizards! What have you done?! :argh:

There is water in the official Dark Sun dungeon tiles! And by that I don't mean moisture got in the pack. Possibly the least apt place to put it, I dare say. Well now not necessarily the worst place I guess it could be used for an oasis but still!

I am tutting at you for this Wizards, tutting so hard.

Still the 3d adobe house and 3d wagon are both nice! :3:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
That's actually a lake of deadly poison.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That lake is filled with salty fanboy tears.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
The maps in Encounters described the blue as 'silt'. Also said if a player got stuck in it they started sinking.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

Attilla posted:

Wizards! What have you done?! :argh:

There is water in the official Dark Sun dungeon tiles! And by that I don't mean moisture got in the pack. Possibly the least apt place to put it, I dare say. Well now not necessarily the worst place I guess it could be used for an oasis but still!

I am tutting at you for this Wizards, tutting so hard.

Still the 3d adobe house and 3d wagon are both nice! :3:

can it be used for a cistern? :colbert: I know its the wastelands and so but there has to be some water around unless Athasians can survive drinking silt.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone! Thri-Kreen are just so goddamn cool, I'm really looking forward to this character. I'm going to try and get my hands on the Thri-Kreen of Athas, then, so I can learn even more.

CombatWombat posted:

Has anyone figured out what Thri-Kreen and Mul's racial stat modifiers are? I'm assuming Thri-Kreen have Con as one and Muls get Str as one but I dunno.

We already know that they have Dex and Wis, but most new Races have that 'or' stat thing going on, including Muls who I've heard are supposed to be +2 Con, and +2 Wis or Str. So I think Thri-Kreen might have a choice between wisdom and either str or con, myself.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone! Thri-Kreen are just so goddamn cool, I'm really looking forward to this character. I'm going to try and get my hands on the Thri-Kreen of Athas, then, so I can learn even more.

We already know that they have Dex and Wis, but most new Races have that 'or' stat thing going on, including Muls who I've heard are supposed to be +2 Con, and +2 Wis or Str. So I think Thri-Kreen might have a choice between wisdom and either str or con, myself.

With respect to Thri-Kreen you mean Wis and either Dex or Con, right?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The thri-kreen battlemind for Encounters and the thri-kreen shaman from DDXP appear to have been built on a +dex/+wis racial base. Both builds benefit from +con, and so I assume that if it were an option, they would have been built that way. Both also benefit from wis, for whatever that's worth.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

I don't think Wizards would add two more races that could be wis/con. I'd also think that thri-kreen would be wis and dex or str to make them the perfect rangers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

W'lkrr, Athas Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

W'lkrr, Athas Ranger.
Are we going to have Chk'Nrss jokes now?

• Locked thread