Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

- Golden Guns: Double fame for kills made with them, but they're the weakest guns in the game so you'll stop using them rather quickly
Not sure if it is golden guns or just general bugginess but after every major cutscene, my game always switches back to my golden Cattle Revolver and golden repeater. It is really, really annoying because it taints my saves and takes me awhile to recognize that poo poo is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

When I saw the credits my game didnt play the end credit song. I just got the regular occasional mexican horn sound bite every minute or so. Boo.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Obsurveyor posted:

Not sure if it is golden guns or just general bugginess but after every major cutscene, my game always switches back to my golden Cattle Revolver and golden repeater. It is really, really annoying because it taints my saves and takes me awhile to recognize that poo poo is wrong.

In a lot (all?) of the cutscenes John is wearing the two starter guns, presumably so they didn't have to create various versions of the scenes with all the potential weaponry. I'm not sure why that means you come out of the cutscene with those weapons equipped though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tewratomeh posted:

Everybody always mentions the song you hear on entering Mexico, but I don't remember anybody bringing up the song that plays near the end of the game when you're heading home from killing Dutch up in the mountains. Something about that song just fit so perfectly, it was just such a calm moment after spending the whole game fighting and struggling. And then you get home and everything is alright again, for a little while at least. But having that song play sort of lulls you into a false sense of security, and you almost feel like the game's coming to a close and all will be well.

(ENDGAME)And then those ominous violin chords a la There Will Be Blood randomly start popping in while you're walking around the ranch or on Ranch missions. You know something terrible is coming, but there's nothing you can do to prevent it other than stopping the game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hal Gill username posted:

In a lot (all?) of the cutscenes John is wearing the two starter guns, presumably so they didn't have to create various versions of the scenes with all the potential weaponry. I'm not sure why that means you come out of the cutscene with those weapons equipped though.

The only time I had poo poo change around on me was when I was chasing down a certain boyo named ___Dutch____. For whatever reason it kept switching me back to my Bolt Action Rifle. No, I want my Henry Repeater goddamnit!

P.S. In regards to horses, I'm pretty sure the American Standardbred is the fastest, the Hungarian Halfbred is a little tougher, and the Kentucky Saddler is a good balance between the two. Because after playing the overwhelming majority of the game with the same Kentucky Saddler I definitely notice a speed difference with the American Standardbred.

America is #1 after all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

fennesz posted:

The only time I had poo poo change around on me was when I was chasing down a certain boyo named ___Dutch____. For whatever reason it kept switching me back to my Bolt Action Rifle. No, I want my Henry Repeater goddamnit!

P.S. In regards to horses, I'm pretty sure the American Standardbred is the fastest, the Hungarian Halfbred is a little tougher, and the Kentucky Saddler is a good balance between the two. Because after playing the overwhelming majority of the game with the same Kentucky Saddler I definitely notice a speed difference with the American Standardbred.

America is #1 after all.

But... Kentucky is in America?

Also the Saddler handles fast turns way better than either of the other two top tier horses... it's been said by a few people in the thread, including myself. Repeatedly.

fennesz posted:

I don't consider Kentucky to be in America. :smug:

... Good point. I bow to your superior reasoning! :mmmsmug:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 18, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

But... Kentucky is in America?

Also the Saddler handles fast turns way better than either of the other two top tier horses... it's been said by a few people in the thread, including myself. Repeatedly.

I skimmed most parts of the thread, repeatedly, because I haven't been even remotely close to the end until now. I didn't want my little self spoiled.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I don't see the bad experiences with Free Roam that a lot of people complain about. Not to toot any horns, but I guess I'm good enough to hold my own if anybody tries to attack.

Yesterday I was in a posse and nobody had mics but me, but we all had an understanding and we went from gang hideout and challenge to another, sometimes even just galloping together down a path during a rainstorm, it was beautiful.

Then later some other guys who joined the posse started killing another 2-person posse, so the guy in our posse who did the killing had his horse shot by me and I told him "punishment for shooting innocent people". Then one of the guys from the other posse just takes me out right after, so I proceed to kill him a few times until he starts high tailing it. I chased him for 10 minutes from Gaptooth Ridge all the way to Tall Trees where I caught up with him at Tanner's Reach. Poor fella got in over his head with the cougars there, and was fending them off. It wasn't looking good for him, so I put a bullet in his head to spare the suffering. Then after I gave him a posse invite as an act of truce, so he joined me in a few challenges. When it was time to log off I thanked him for the epic chase across the frontier, and went on my way.

I loving love Free Roam.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

fennesz posted:

The Kentucky Derby, bourbon, and fried chicken, some of the best things America has going. :fsmug:

(I'm not from Kentucky, but I sure love bourbon)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tewratomeh posted:

Everybody always mentions the song you hear on entering Mexico, but I don't remember anybody bringing up the song that plays near the end of the game when you're heading home from killing Dutch up in the mountains. Something about that song just fit so perfectly, it was just such a calm moment after spending the whole game fighting and struggling. And then you get home and everything is alright again, for a little while at least. But having that song play sort of lulls you into a false sense of security, and you almost feel like the game's coming to a close and all will be well.
I never got to listen to either of the drat songs. In Mexico, I arrived there but for some reason never heard so much as a drat chord. And towards the end, I heard the singing start... at the exact moment I got off my horse to pick a flower I was missing for the final Survivalist challenge. Song stopped, never to return. :argh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had to finally try out this "shove button" everybody was talking about. Didn't quite go so well my first time. I was in Madrugada, following a guy down the steps and getting ready to shove. Unfortunately I was so used to drawing and firing that my finger instinctively pulled the left trigger and I wound up shooting the poor guy in the spine, execution style.

The second time ended with me killing most of a posse and fleeing with a $150 bounty on my head before I even got out of town.

Edit: Also, why is it that when I want a showdown with the Law nobody does poo poo but when I'm just minding my own and shoving people a l'il bit I have posses and lawmen all over me? The Law was all over me for shoving that guy in Chuparosa, but when I kidnapped a Chinese man, took him all the way to El Presidio and blew him up with a cart of TNT, killed five people in the fort and then hogtied about four guys and set them on fire in the middle of a room nobody ever came. No bounty, no nothing.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 19, 2010

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

I had to finally try out this "shove button" everybody was talking about. Didn't quite go so well my first time. I was in Madrugada, following a guy down the steps and getting ready to shove. Unfortunately I was so used to drawing and firing that my finger instinctively pulled the left trigger and I wound up shooting the poor guy in the spine, execution style.

The second time ended with me killing most of a posse and fleeing with a $150 bounty on my head before I even got out of town.

The first time I tried it was on a dude standing near a broken piece of railing. He managed to fall of the second story balcony and land on a hooker.

It was beautiful

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Crows Turn Off posted:

The ending wasn't about John's redemption, it was about Jack's redemption. You can only get the "Redeemed" achievement by completing Jack's final stranger mission, making it evident that the real redemption involves Jack killing Ross.

You have to kill him.

Wait... you could do stranger missions as Jack? The only thing I saw was the go find the old dude and shoot him.

I really was hoping the end would be different I wanted to see Jack not kill the guy, that was the whole point of everything his dad did, wasn't it? I guess it fits in with the theme of the game, no matter what you do, you get hosed it seems. There is no happy ending.

Also one of the last missions, it had a really nice touch going back to see Bonnie and her kicking the dirt and looking sad when she knew John was out of her life. I sort of felt the same way!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How close am I to the end? I just killed Bill Williamson in Mexico and I'm concerned that I won't be able to get 100% before the ending creeps up on me and forces me to start over.

On that note, where's the "point of no return" in this game?

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

Karthe posted:

How close am I to the end? I just killed Bill Williamson in Mexico and I'm concerned that I won't be able to get 100% before the ending creeps up on me and forces me to start over.

There is no point of no return. The sandbox is open to you at the end of the game.

You might want a separate save kept to one side once you are in Blackwater though. I kinda wish I had kept one but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Woah, shotguns are powerful. Much longer ranged than in most games (where you have to place the barrel in contact with the enemy's tonsils) and hit like a truck full of chainsaws.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Woah, shotguns are powerful. Much longer ranged than in most games (where you have to place the barrel in contact with the enemy's tonsils) and hit like a truck full of chainsaws.

Counterpoint: I sat on the roof in Blackwater with the pump action aimed at the ladder when someone climbed up. The first time I killed him easily enough but the second time he knew where I was and thus actually shot back. I fired 2 pump action shells at him at near point blank and before I could fire the third he finally got up the ladder and insta killed me by unloading the high power pistol into my general direction.

gently caress the high power pistol.

The semi auto and the sawn off are alright but while the sawn off can be brutally effective at one shotting people it will only do it from within 3 feet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Lone Badger posted:

Speaking of, I really can't figure out why on earth they let you buy the semi-auto shotgun waaaaaay back in early mexico but don't let you get the inferior pump-action shotgun until the end of the game.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

There's not really a point of no return, but...

Basically start double-saving once you've gotten into the 3rd act a bit. The end of the game can produce mixed reactions.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

IRQ posted:

Speaking of, I really can't figure out why on earth they let you buy the semi-auto shotgun waaaaaay back in early mexico but don't let you get the inferior pump-action shotgun until the end of the game.
They give you great stuff in Mexico. The semi-auto, double action revolver, Henry rifle, and bolt action rifle are all super useful through the end of the game.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009
Where do you get the double-action revolver?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

HatSmack posted:

There's a mexican town infested with bandits. At the end of it one of them is being held hostage and, because he's and army commander, he has a double-action revolver. Fail to save him, unintentionally or otherwise, and he drops it upon death.

Dunno where you get it otherwise.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

HatSmack posted:

Tesoro Azul.

I just finished it, and the only thing I can say is 'where's RDR2'

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

golem_ii posted:

Tesoro Azul.

I just finished it, and the only thing I can say is 'where's RDR2'

You just finished it. :v:

But seriously, I hope they make another game like this.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

doctor 7 posted:

There's a mexican town infested with bandits. At the end of it one of them is being held hostage and, because he's and army commander, he has a double-action revolver. Fail to save him, unintentionally or otherwise, and he drops it upon death.

Dunno where you get it otherwise.
Otherwise, it's in a chest directly behind you in the building when you're done.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Stare-Out posted:

You just finished it. :v:

But seriously, I hope they make another game like this.

This game is begging for episode treatment like GTA4. Prequel, sequel episodes, both ends of the spectrum are open.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'll be on tonight PSN:Darthbrooks

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

forbiddendelirium posted:

If only there were a monument to all the horses we've loved and lost along the way.

You can either buy a deed, capture that horse again somewheres, or resign yourself to disappointment.

I lost mine after I ran into a huge pile of bandits. I was looting the bodies with my faithful steed tagging along behind me. As I crossed the train tracks to loot the last corpse...

Boom!

Train comes out of nowhere and when I turn around there's nothing left of my Kentucky saddler but horse chili :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Carbohydrates posted:

They give you great stuff in Mexico. The semi-auto, double action revolver, Henry rifle, and bolt action rifle are all super useful through the end of the game.

I preferred the semi-auto pistol to the double action, but yeah that was good too.

The bolt action rifle I used through the end of the game and it was easily my favorite gun. It was better than any of the repeaters unless it was a super close range encounter. poo poo, more then a few times I got off the Gatling gun and just used the bolt action.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This game is begging for episode treatment like GTA4. Prequel, sequel episodes, both ends of the spectrum are open.

Fairly sure that Rockstar said they're not doing Episode-style DLC for RDR.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Just finished it, pretty drat fine game, now it's off to collect the collectibles.

Also last Stranger mission help
As Jack, where do I get this Ross stranger mission? Do I have to finish up all the other ones first before it shows? Because I've been looking around the map for a while after the end game and I haven't seen it pop up anywhere

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Von Dozier posted:

Just finished it, pretty drat fine game, now it's off to collect the collectibles.

Also last Stranger mission help
As Jack, where do I get this Ross stranger mission? Do I have to finish up all the other ones first before it shows? Because I've been looking around the map for a while after the end game and I haven't seen it pop up anywhere

Just walk around in Blackwater for a while and you'll find a new stranger mission that wasn't there before.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

GamingHyena posted:

I lost mine after I ran into a huge pile of bandits. I was looting the bodies with my faithful steed tagging along behind me. As I crossed the train tracks to loot the last corpse...

Boom!

Train comes out of nowhere and when I turn around there's nothing left of my Kentucky saddler but horse chili :(

There were two instances where I was genuinely upset when I lost my horses (both I had rode on for a while, both I lassoed and broke):

- On the clifftop near the Daedalus and Son mission, somehow edged too close to edge and my horse and I toppled down the side. My stupidity killed my friend :(

- Riding through Tall Trees looking to collect beaver pelts, out of loving nowhere brown death rolls in and slaps at my horse, knocking me off, killing my innocent horse. Proceeding to carve me into oblivion.

The second instance is what started my mission of cleansing Tall Trees of bears, of solely bringing about bearmageddon.

Slantedfloors posted:

Fairly sure that Rockstar said they're not doing Episode-style DLC for RDR.

That is depressing :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure my Kentucky Saddler got killed by a cougar. There was one prowling around, and then I found my horse's corpse. I wish there was a button for 'send horse away' :( .

I've got over a thousand dollars so I'll either buy a kentucky saddler deed or save it up for the next gunsmith I meet. A brown horse came when I whistled, is there a way to tell if it's one-star or two-star?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm pretty sure my Kentucky Saddler got killed by a cougar. There was one prowling around, and then I found my horse's corpse. I wish there was a button for 'send horse away' :( .

I've got over a thousand dollars so I'll either buy a kentucky saddler deed or save it up for the next gunsmith I meet. A brown horse came when I whistled, is there a way to tell if it's one-star or two-star?

That was one thing I wish you could do, walk up behind your horse and press R2 and instead of shoving, you slap it on the rear end to make it run off.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Can you play Liar's Dice in multiplay free roam? I love that drat game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You can't play any of the minigames in MP. :smith:

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Nope, no minigames at all in multiplayer which is a drat shame.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The Lone Badger posted:

If it's skinny as hell and looks like it's dying, it's a 1-star. Otherwise, 2. I've only gotten 2-star horses when whistling for one without a deed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I seriously want to play liar's dice with real people. It's fun in the game but the AI has logic flaws because AI can't actually lie.

• Locked thread