Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Green Puddin posted:

Was that you punishing me for shooting your horse that one time by making it a point to kill my horse and literally walking to the waypoint? Because for some reason I found that hilarious.

That was me, I found it hilarious too! I was actually in the middle of :350:, just holding down L2 to let the horse follow the trail when you killed him! Then I just started walking slowly because you'd been complaining about me going slow on my wagon. :D That was a good session when our posse grew though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

I seriously want to play liar's dice with real people. It's fun in the game but the AI has logic flaws because AI can't actually lie.

Yes, surely nobody would interrupt your game by shooting you in the head a dozen times for no reason. That sort of behavior just doesn't happen in RDR multiplayer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mastiff posted:

Yes, surely nobody would interrupt your game by shooting you in the head a dozen times for no reason. That sort of behavior just doesn't happen in RDR multiplayer.

I can't do multiplayer so I have no goddamn idea. :buddy:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mastiff posted:

This is probably the best answer as to why we can't play that or poker in mp. Granted they could just make you invincible or invisible or something so the game wouldn't be interrupted.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For a 'hero' I'm sure killing a lot of innocent people.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Mastiff posted:

I've been staying away from the free roam multiplayer stuff, it doesn't really appeal to me after doing most of the same things in the single player game. I've been playing nothing but gang matches though and they're fun as hell. I even had to run off for a few hours in the middle of playing one the other day and handed the controller to my roommate saying he can keep playing, throw on the tv or whatever only to come back to him still playing 3 hours later and getting first place in the match.

So, on the subject of the multiplayer gang matches, the best use I've found for dead eye so far is raising it with your pistol then setting up shop with a rifle and hitting people with enough shots to kill them in rapid succession using dead eye. Maybe it's just because I seem to be a lot better at hitting those headshots with a pistol than a rifle. Anyone find a better use for it?

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Ennio Morricone while playing the multiplayer, anyone have any recommendations for other western style music like his?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Brightman posted:

This is probably the best answer as to why we can't play that or poker in mp. Granted they could just make you invincible or invisible or something so the game wouldn't be interrupted.
My buddy and I were swapping RDR stories at work. His best was playing poker in a saloon and a guy, drunk as all gently caress, euphoria collapsed on the poker table. No one in the game moved an inch.

ULTIMATE POKER FACE.

The best part was they just kept playing a few hands until he finally slinked off.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

Fairly sure that Rockstar said they're not doing Episode-style DLC for RDR.

Then it makes the inevitable sequel that much more satisfying. The whole pre-World War I atmosphere is brilliant and full of promise on its own. If it's one thing Rockstar does well, it's zeitgeist.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Then it makes the inevitable sequel that much more satisfying. The whole pre-World War I atmosphere is brilliant and full of promise on its own. If it's one thing Rockstar does well, it's zeitgeist.

Yeah I just want more. This is essentially the game I always dreamed of playing as a kid (well I wanted to actually live it, but who didn't?) and I just wish it didn't end.

P.S. Mexico was the best part of the game. Landon Ricketts is a true fuckin' bro.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It was posted before that they also didn't expect to make their money back on this game, and they already have. The demand for more is going to be there so I wouldn't be surprised at all if more dlc than planned comes our way.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I never played Red Dead Revolver and I just assumed that it was the story of John Marston running with Dutch's gang, and Redemption was the sequel. I finally looked it up on Wikipedia and, of course, Revolver had nothing to do with John Marston, it was a completely different story.

ProfessorGroove posted:

It was posted before that they also didn't expect to make their money back on this game, and they already have. The demand for more is going to be there so I wouldn't be surprised at all if more dlc than planned comes our way.

Well, a lot of the time, DLC "episodes" end up being content that was planned for the original game but got cut before release, usually because it wasn't finished in time. So the question is, how much of that was there in this case?

shadok fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 19, 2010

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Welcome to every conflict in history.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wow....

Kinda :tinfoil:

Just got hosed up by the Berenstain family in Tall Trees, and I give up, close down the xbox, and hop online. First story I see on CNN is "Grizzly bear on loose after mauling"

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The auto-shotgun is a murder machine. The bolt-action rifle is a murder machine. Anything used with Deadeye Level 3 is a murder machine. Everything about Mexico is murderous.

What's the best way to catch the train? I want to get level 3 sharpshooter, but I can never catch up with that thing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
One bullet from a Springfield or Bolt Action rifle between the eyes will stop a bear cold. Even better, the Carcano sniper rifle from 70 yards away.

See my best-selling pamphlet, Bears, Furry Assholes of the Northern Forests.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the best way to catch the train?

Find it on the map, see where it's going, ride to the next station and hop on when it's stopped.

shadok fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 19, 2010

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
End game spoiler For some reason, whenever I get drunk as Jack, every step I take he screams like a stuck pig. Makes the same noises as when John would fall down or bump into stuff, but with every loving step. He really can't handle his alcohol - I'll be walking away from the bar and he's constantly "OW. Aaargh. Ooof." etc. This happens all the time, even after saving or turning the ps3 off. Does this happen to anyone else?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wow....

Just got hosed up by the Berenstain family in Tall Trees, and I give up, close down the xbox, and hop online. First story I see on CNN is "Grizzly bear on loose after mauling"

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

Get yer buffalo rifle out, buy a load of tobacco and snake oil, then go into dead eye and aim right between the eyes. Don't tag them, just make use of the slow motion to get the crosshair right on his furry, Simon Cowell forehead and fire. They go down in one, no problem.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

ProfessorGroove posted:

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Ennio Morricone while playing the multiplayer, anyone have any recommendations for other western style music like his?

Why, the first game's soundtrack, of course!

http://www.myspace.com/ostofreddead

e: Because of this game I went out and got a couple packs of dice. I've played Liar's Dice with about 8 different people over the past week and it's awesome in real life, especially when you have at least five people at the table. It's so easy to play that everyone figured it out right away and we had some pretty tense matches going. Playing it in the game doesn't compare at all.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 19, 2010

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ProfessorGroove posted:

The theme from the Magnificent Seven is the most AH HELL YES music to listen to while riding at high speed. I would think that Rodeo by Aaron Copland would work too (and if Rodeo sounds familiar, it was used in the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" commercials.)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Lone Badger posted:

The auto-shotgun is a murder machine.

It really is, even when you fire only one shot. And then you remember that's semi-auto so you start firing one-after-another and goddrat... you can wipe out most of a gang and their horses before they can get a shot off on you. Well, as long as you're at medium-to-close range. But that thing fires really, really fast.

That, the bolt-action rifle and the Mauser pistol, way over-kill. And sometimes it feels so wrong since most of the people in the game have nothing better than repeaters and revolvers, while you're mowing them down with the latest in mass-murdering technology.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Who said John Marston was a hero?

BLY78
Apr 16, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the best way to catch the train? I want to get level 3 sharpshooter, but I can never catch up with that thing.

Ride up along side the locomotive and press X/square to jump on, or you could just wait for it at a station

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BLY78 posted:

Ride up along side the locomotive and press X/square to jump on, or you could just wait for it at a station

Oh yeah, I seem to recall that game mechanic being used in a mission, but I never thought to try using it outside of that mission. I assumed it was some context-sensitive thing and you could never do it again.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Mastiff posted:

Who said John Marston was a hero?

I'm presuming he's referring to the rank of his current honour level. The top rank is called "Hero".

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wow....

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Double Action Revolver, Mauser, High Powered Pistol. Make sure you hit them in the head though or you'll have to put one or two more in them to keep them down. The Henry Rifle, Bolt Action Rifle, Evans Repeater and Semi-Auto Shotgun are all great choices as well.

Oh yeah, depending on how quickly you're able to fire weapons you can fire the Mauser faster than just holding down the trigger (yeah it's full-auto) if you treat it like just another semi-auto. Just one of those touches I thought was really nice.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2010

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gazmachine posted:

I'm presuming he's referring to the rank of his current honour level. The top rank is called "Hero".

Ohhhh fair enough.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm sure this thread must be littered with posts like this but seriously, I just finished the single player and wow

the ending

:smithicide:

A video game has never made me so sad

I've also never taken such joy as in slaughtering all Ross's family members with firebombs and filling their corpses with lead

edit: Personally I was hoping that I could leave Ross alive to suffer the loss of his family or punish him in some way worse than death, obviously that wasn't an option but I'd already done in his brother and wife by then. I also went straight for them immediately after seeing John die so I was pretty eager to take it out on anyone I could. Alot of citizens and lawmen died on that journey.
v v v v v

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 20, 2010

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Pertaining to the ending what did you folks have against Ross's family members? They did no wrong. In fact, I hogtied Ross's wife and brought her with me to Mexico so she could see how much of a douche he was before I iced him, but then she sort of accidentally got involved in a cougar-related incident somehow and didn't make it. But I wanted to make sure that Ross's brother knew what a dick his bro was, so I hogtied him and he somehow ended up facedown in the river and drowned to death. Whoops. Also, six shots to Ross's face.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I left his family alone. Ross copped it, obviously, but I left his family alone. I guess I figured they'd have to live with the consequences of his actions much like Jack and his mother had to live with John's. It felt more right that way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I hogtied Ross' wife and then slit her throat to be merciful, but I left his brother alone. I had really hoped that somehow it'd come up that Jack had killed Ross' wife, and thus he could feel a similar horror of loss just before I did him in.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

I shot the lot of em v:shobon:v

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The disappointing part of the ending was that just shooting the bastard before you talked to him made you fail the mission.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I didn't think to kill them because I didn't care

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
I hogtied em and doused them in bait, just like most other people I met

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Picked this up the other day and I just finished the mission for the Marshall Hanging Bonnie MacFarland, so I'm a few hours into the game. I'm doing missions for the Snake Oil Salesman and the graverobber right now. Is the map I start out with all the area that I get to explore? From Gaptooth Branch to Thieves Landing? It really doesn't seem that big.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capsaicin posted:

Picked this up the other day and I just finished the mission for the Marshall Hanging Bonnie MacFarland, so I'm a few hours into the game. I'm doing missions for the Snake Oil Salesman and the graverobber right now. Is the map I start out with all the area that I get to explore? From Gaptooth Branch to Thieves Landing? It really doesn't seem that big.

There's more to the right, and a whole bunch of new land down south you haven't seen.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Capsaicin posted:

Mexico is goddamn huge

the graverobber is awesome, BTW. I think he's my favorite of all the characters you meet, followed closely by Landon Ricketts.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay. Also, is there ever any reason for me to use a pistol? My Repeater Carbine seems to be going pretty well.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Capsaicin posted:

Okay. Also, is there ever any reason for me to use a pistol? My Repeater Carbine seems to be going pretty well.

Pistols are a bit faster, both in fire rate and reload.

Also, style.

EDIT: Later in the game, the high-powered pistol and Mauser do a lot for making pistols a big hitter just like any other gun type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Capsaicin posted:

Later in the game, like Coughing Hobo said, they come in to their own. I started using mine quite a lot around the start of the second area. The Schofield Revolver, Bolt Action Rifle, and Semi-auto shotgun make quite a powerful combination.

• Locked thread