Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In that race mission you do for Wess, were the other racers supposed to shoot at you and stuff? Cause I got pretty far ahead around the second checkpoint and never saw any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Capsaicin posted:

Okay. Also, is there ever any reason for me to use a pistol? My Repeater Carbine seems to be going pretty well.

I reckon you should always use your pistol indoors and in very close combat, the rifles rather fittingly need alot of space around your cover to negotiate certain angles, which is dangerous for you at close quarters.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just completed the single player to 100%. Had a lot of fun doing it too. With only two achievements left I can't help but want to grind out to level 50 in multiplayer and finish mowing down 500 people with a mounted gun. At least we get the co-op DLC soon which will add something fresh into multi for working your way to level 50.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I hated Seth and was so glad to never see him again after infiltrating Fort Mercer. Guy just freaked me the gently caress out.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hated everyone who wasn't Bonnie or Marshall in the first area.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hated everyone who wasn't Bonnie or Marshall in the first area.

How could you hate Irish? Seriously... how?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Irish has a place in me heart.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Capsaicin posted:

In that race mission you do for Wess, were the other racers supposed to shoot at you and stuff? Cause I got pretty far ahead around the second checkpoint and never saw any of that.

Nah they just try to run you off the road, or that may be just the game mechanics.

As for pistols vs anything else or revolvers vs automatics, it's largely personal preference (automatics are better stats usually but the game isn't that hard anyway). If you're in really tight quarters a pistol can have a slight edge, and for killing certain small critters you will want to use something that won't cause them to explode...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fuzz posted:

How could you hate Irish? Seriously... how?
Okay... no, I guess I don't. Seth was terrible, and Nigel West Dickens got on my nerves super fast, but Irish was such a ridiculous coward and drunk buffoon that was pretty entertaining. I guess I'm really just bitter there weren't more missions with Marshall.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Bonnie's voice acting was terrible and made me hate every minute with her. Irish was awesome.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

enigmahfc posted:

Bonnie's voice acting was terrible and made me hate every minute with her. Irish was awesome.

I think Bonnie was supposed to be annoying like Renee Zellwegger

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Green Puddin posted:

Irish has a place in me heart.

He had some of the best voice acting in the game (sometimes bad accent and all) The speech he gave saying goodbye to Marston was really great. "You're a feck ugly man and an angry one, but a good man." (close approximation)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Okay. Also, is there ever any reason for me to use a pistol? My Repeater Carbine seems to be going pretty well.

At very close range the aim interface doesn't always seem to work correctly for me if I have a rifle equipped. Pistols also draw faster, which can be an advantage if you're doing a horseback escape and want to be able to quickly shoot people chasing you (John puts his gun away very soon when riding).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Okay... no, I guess I don't. Seth was terrible, and Nigel West Dickens got on my nerves super fast, but Irish was such a ridiculous coward and drunk buffoon that was pretty entertaining. I guess I'm really just bitter there weren't more missions with Marshall.

Same here. It's weird how much I despised the whole friends calling you thing in GTAIV but I would love nothing more than to shoot some outlaws and knock back some whiskey with the ol' Sheriff of Armadillo.

bobzmuda posted:

I think Bonnie was supposed to be annoying like Renee Zellwegger

You're mad. I got more of a "Girl Next Door" vibe from her, which is why she looks so much like Kendra :downsrim:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 20, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Seth was the best colour character in the game for me, hands down. It's a shame there wasn't more of him. If the debunking of the Old West is a tale of selfishness, anti-romance and greed, Seth was the greed.

I thought he was a great character, and the sunburnt face and sort of worn down, black fingertips were brilliant touches.

I also greatly enjoyed his final mission where you assault the abandoned mansion. When I did it, it was night time, raining heavily and there was thunder and lightning. Made it the best moment I'd had up to that point in the game. Fantastic.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone notice how they keep recycling Marston's line "Why? What's happening?". Kinda getting on my nerves.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I'm still on the first area of the game, why am I being shot at in Thieves' Landing? People just opened fire on me, I don't think there's a bounty on my head but is there any way to check?

EDIT: Checked and there isn't a bounty.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Wow, what a finish. I liked all the characters, Seth, Irish, West, Bonnie, all good.

So, I only need to do all the gang hideouts in 24 hours to get my 100%. What's the best way to do this? fast travel, or riding? Is there a particular order that is better than others?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

quote:

I'm still on the first area of the game, why am I being shot at in Thieves' Landing? People just opened fire on me, I don't think there's a bounty on my head but is there any way to check?

The guys at Thieves Landing are just dicks. There's no law enforcement and they're mostly gang members, and they don't like you.

quote:

So, I only need to do all the gang hideouts in 24 hours to get my 100%. What's the best way to do this? fast travel, or riding? Is there a particular order that is better than others?

e: Riding is better than fast travel. Start from Fort Mercer, go to Pike Basin, then Twin Rocks, Tumbleweed, and finish at Gaptooth Breech. You can start in the morning and finish before sundown.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 20, 2010

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

I just beat the game yesterday with 97.8% completion - do I need to do all of the bounties and then beat all of the US gang hideouts in 24 hours to get 100%? Or can I ignore the bounties?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
sign up on the rockstar social club site to see what you need. Take it with a grain of salt though because that website is broken as gently caress

porktree posted:

Wow, what a finish. I liked all the characters, Seth, Irish, West, Bonnie, all good.

I started all the way west and made my way east. Don't fast travel

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 20, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

To get all US hideouts in 24 hours, start at Gaptooth Breach, head to Tumbleweed, head to Fort Mercer, head to Twin Rocks, then finally to Pike's Basin. In between Twin Rocks and Pike's Basin, it will tell you to take the road through Armadillo - just ignore that and ride through the land. You should have more than enough time just riding and fast travel will make it take longer. I finished it in about 13 in-game hours. Started at dawn and finished at dusk. :clint:

Karthe posted:

I just beat the game yesterday with 97.8% completion - do I need to do all of the bounties and then beat all of the US gang hideouts in 24 hours to get 100%? Or can I ignore the bounties?
The bounties don't count toward the hideouts, but you will need to finish them anyway to get 100%.

YOU SHOULD SIGN UP AT SOCIALCLUB.ROCKSTARGAMES.COM. IT ALLOWS YOU TO TRACK FOR 100%. IT WAS BUGGY AT FIRST BUT THE PATCH FIXED IT.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 20, 2010

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

Throwing knife.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Crows Turn Off posted:

To get all US hideouts in 24 hours, start at Gaptooth Breach, head to Tumbleweed, head to Fort Mercer, head to Twin Rocks, then finally to Pike's Basin. In between Twin Rocks and Pike's Basin, it will tell you to take the road through Armadillo - just ignore that and ride through the land. You should have more than enough time just riding and fast travel will make it take longer. I finished it in about 13 in-game hours. Started at dawn and finished at dusk. :clint:

The bounties don't count toward the hideouts, but you will need to finish them anyway to get 100%.

YOU SHOULD SIGN UP AT SOCIALCLUB.ROCKSTARGAMES.COM. IT ALLOWS YOU TO TRACK FOR 100%. IT WAS BUGGY AT FIRST BUT THE PATCH FIXED IT.

It still doesn't track everything you need though. According to it I have everything needed for 100% but I'm stuck at 99.5%. Can't figure out what I'm missing, even checking against the 100% checklist.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
for Master Hunter II Rank 3 in MP, does the challenge reset if you accidentally leave Greenhollow to kill all the boars? I swear I killed 20 of those fuckers and Gordo never showed up. They also maul me a lot, and it gets frustrating.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
So how does the Wanted system work? The first time I shot someone (the guy that kept beating me at the end of a 20 minute game of loving horseshoes), it said if I got out of sight, I would lose my wanted status, like Grand Theft Auto.

But then my horse fell off a ledge and died on me, which pissed me off so I shot a man, and spent the next 20 minutes running across the map with a lawman trailing me about 3 counties back, obviously unable to see me. My wanted status wouldn't go away. So I finally just gave up and let the guy catch up and kill me.

Hello Buddy
Feb 28, 2004
e-penis--
I thought MacDougal was one of the best made characters in the game by Rockstar. Riding alone side him and listening to his "intellect" was pretty amusing. I especially like the dialogue between him and Nastas about the trees and buffalos.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

porktree posted:

Fast travel eats 6 hours or whatever so no don't use that.

Hello Buddy
Feb 28, 2004
e-penis--
I think I'm missing something here...Are there any more missions when you become jack?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hello Buddy posted:

I think I'm missing something here...Are there any more missions when you become jack?

Head to the train station in Blackwater.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

porktree posted:

Just ride, its super easy.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

The Worst
Feb 25, 2006

death from above
:ohdear:
Is the white horse the best/coolest horse you find? I found it randomly in Mexico and caught it with my pokeball/lasso.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Worst posted:

Is the white horse the best/coolest horse you find? I found it randomly in Mexico and caught it with my pokeball/lasso.

It's the toughest and slowest. The American Standardbred is the fastest, but has poo poo hp/stamina. The Kentucky Sadler (the one you get with Bonnie) is kind of in between.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

The Worst posted:

There's also a black horse that is a little bit faster but you won't be able to find it until you leave leave Mexico and head north.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

It's the toughest and slowest. The American Standardbred is the fastest, but has poo poo hp/stamina. The Kentucky Sadler (the one you get with Bonnie) is kind of in between.

slowest of the three star horses. It's still faster than most of the horses you'll run across.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

BlackJosh posted:

slowest of the three star horses. It's still faster than most of the horses you'll run across.

But nothing is ever faster than the fuckers who come after you after a bounty. Even riding on a road/railway line while they are in the rough they will keep up with you even when you took the proof rather than keeping the bounty alive.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Smasher posted:

for Master Hunter II Rank 3 in MP, does the challenge reset if you accidentally leave Greenhollow to kill all the boars? I swear I killed 20 of those fuckers and Gordo never showed up. They also maul me a lot, and it gets frustrating.

There is a ruin of a burned-out house that you can use as shelter/cover while you're blasting away at the piggies. In fact, there's a building at every Hunter achievement location you can use, although it's cheating because the animal AI can't attack you inside a building.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

It still doesn't track everything you need though. According to it I have everything needed for 100% but I'm stuck at 99.5%. Can't figure out what I'm missing, even checking against the 100% checklist.
Well, what isn't checked off? Do you have the Redeemed Trophy/Achievement?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hello Buddy posted:

I thought MacDougal was one of the best made characters in the game by Rockstar. Riding alone side him and listening to his "intellect" was pretty amusing. I especially like the dialogue between him and Nastas about the trees and buffalos.

I wanted to shoot him so bad but yeah, I loved his character. Or loved to hate, rather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I wanted to shoot him so bad but yeah, I loved his character. Or loved to hate, rather.

Same here.

I do cocaine for science!

• Locked thread