Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I wanted to shoot him so bad but yeah, I loved his character. Or loved to hate, rather.
Yeah, completely. It seems like nothing I wanted to happen in the storyline happened and it pissed me off at times. I guess that's a characteristic of good story-telling, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

fennesz posted:

Same here.

I do cocaine for science!

There's been a number of scientists/mathematicians who have taken drugs to keep themselves stimulated and being able to continue their work.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ydaetskcoR posted:

There's been a number of scientists/mathematicians who have taken drugs to keep themselves stimulated and being able to continue their work.

I know it's just the fact he was obviously an addict is what I found so funny.

I wanted to leave him for dead after Nastas got shot and when Dutch came a knockin'. gently caress that guy.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

for Master Hunter II Rank 3 in MP, does the challenge reset if you accidentally leave Greenhollow to kill all the boars? I swear I killed 20 of those fuckers and Gordo never showed up. They also maul me a lot, and it gets frustrating.

It took me like 3 tries over as many days to get Gordo to finally show up, and when he did I killed him with a sniper rifle and it didn't register, so I had to do it again. gently caress that challenge. I must have killed at least 200 boars before I finally completed it.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Hello Buddy posted:

I thought MacDougal was one of the best made characters in the game by Rockstar. Riding alone side him and listening to his "intellect" was pretty amusing. I especially like the dialogue between him and Nastas about the trees and buffalos.
He was really in that love to hate category for me. At the beginning of the mission you're talking about, I was a little disappointed when I blasted his horse in the face and I failed the mission

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

fennesz posted:

I know it's just the fact he was obviously an addict is what I found so funny.

I wanted to leave him for dead after Nastas got shot and when Dutch came a knockin'. gently caress that guy.

Nastas was my favorite character in the game outside of John. I got Jon's death spoiled for me, and I was assuming that since you had never seen your family to that point, Nastas would be who you continued on as. Or, I was hoping that, at least.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, what isn't checked off? Do you have the Redeemed Trophy/Achievement?

Clearly if I had the achievement, I wouldn't be bitching. According to the Social Club, all I have left to collect is the US Army Uniform, which I already have.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 21, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Nastas was my favorite character in the game outside of John. I got Jon's death spoiled for me, and I was assuming that since you had never seen your family to that point, Nastas would be who you continued on as. Or, I was hoping that, at least.

Clearly if I had the achievement, I wouldn't be bitching. According to the Social Club, all I have left to collect is the US Army Uniform, which I already have.

I just did too. I haven't finished the game.

:(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, completely. It seems like nothing I wanted to happen in the storyline happened and it pissed me off at times. I guess that's a characteristic of good story-telling, though.

Well, if you happen to read the paper (keep reading those papers, folks) around the endgame/post-endgame period you find out that after returning home he once again gets thrown out of the university, his report of West Elizabeth is mocked and rejected, and he's destined to spend the rest of his life as a destitute drug addict. So yeah, not quite the outcome I hoped for but at least things don't turn out quite so well for him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So does the game just not recognize if you threw a lady on the train tracks while wearing a bandana, or is Dastardly just plain bugged? Because I spent half an hour waiting on a train.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

If you already have it in the game, then you should have 100%. It's not like the game uses the SocialClub website to determine what you have. You must be missing something else or you already have the Trophy/Achievement. Maybe you're missing one of the map locations?

RBA Starblade posted:

So does the game just not recognize if you threw a lady on the train tracks while wearing a bandana, or is Dastardly just plain bugged? Because I spent half an hour waiting on a train.
You've gotta get it faster than that. Don't put her on the tracks until you see the train coming. I honestly think there's a time limit from the time you set her on the tracks to the time she gets hit by the train.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 21, 2010

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Just finished this game for the first time. Amazing.

RIP John Marston.

Now for goon multiplayer.

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!
Not quite sure how you guys feel about the end but i dont really like playing as jack. :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crows Turn Off posted:

You've gotta get it faster than that. Don't put her on the tracks until you see the train coming. I honestly think there's a time limit from the time you set her on the tracks to the time she gets hit by the train.

Oh. Well that makes it even more annoying then because I missed the train by seconds on that attempt and was the reason I had to wait so long. :saddowns:

At least I had a book (Dune!) to read.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All that hype about stabbing cougars and I accidentally find a way to cheese it by killing them inside Beecher's Hope. They didn't even attack me in there, and they're fenced in.

Also got the one-shot bear kills without the buffalo rifle (semi-auto shotgun). Just wait until their face is nearly on the business end and fire. Takes balls of steel to wait that long but they won't swipe until it's too late.

Unless you miss.

I've played this game almost as long after the game as I did before the campaign ended, and this is from a guy who didn't even want to play Mass Effect 2 twice.

Still haven't even explored multiplayer either.

Best game ever.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished it tonight (didn't 100% it, but hey, that's why they leave the sandbox open v:v:v )

Holy poo poo the ending is loving.... just not what I expected.

It's awesome, sad, frustrating, annoying, all at the same time.

I think as far as storyline and theme goes, this is probably the best game I have ever played.

As far as "rear end in a top hat fun" goes, Saints Row 2 still holds that top level, but having John kick people after shooting out both kneecaps and disarming them in a duel ranks pretty god damned far up there :buddy:

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

RBA Starblade posted:

Make sure that you dont just get any lady but a lady of the night, it has to be a prostitute I believe, try to use the map to see where the train is and head it off so you dont have to wait, and make sure you're looking at the train hit her or else it wont work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just used one of those woman who lure you into the stagecoach banditos when I did it.

Dunno if she was a whore or not, but she was spreading it around after she died, that's for sure :v:

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Wang posted:

Make sure that you dont just get any lady but a lady of the night, it has to be a prostitute I believe, try to use the map to see where the train is and head it off so you dont have to wait, and make sure you're looking at the train hit her or else it wont work.

I used a nun.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any reason not to sell the gold once you do the treasure map missions?

Edit: On that note, is there any reason not to sell animal meat / hides/ etc?

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Wang posted:

I used a prostitute the first time I tried it and it didn't even give it to me until I used a normal lady.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

Is there any reason not to sell the gold once you do the treasure map missions?
Not really. The only thing you might want to hold into it for would be when you get paid more for selling stuff (if you're playing as a Hero).

GamingHyena posted:

Edit: On that note, is there any reason not to sell animal meat / hides/ etc?
You get more money for animals that are not from around that area. Like, if you sell boars in Mexico where there are none, they're worth more money.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I just had an amazing thing happen. I was in Blackwater after a long session and after playing my entire game as a good guy, I saved and planned on going on a killing spree, just to gently caress around for the first time really. I stepped outside the bar and started pushing the nearest nerd around. Pushing him over, into walls and stuff.

So I'm starting to think "I'll finish him now, put a bullet in his head." when out of nowhere, a nun runs up behinds me and tells me that she's heard of my good deeds and hands me the Obscuridad. I couldn't shoot the dude after hearing something like that. So I saved my game and was thankful it finally turned up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Awcko posted:

I used a prostitute the first time I tried it and it didn't even give it to me until I used a normal lady.

I used a normal lady and it didn't work until I went to that convent in Mexico and jacked a nun. That's a great place to do horrible things to people without consequences btw, since there's nothing but nuns there.

What a horrible person I am. :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My nun appeared in Tall Trees to give me the trinket, and then she tried to walk into me to go past me, making John go "Hey, watch it sister!", the nun say "Good manners are free young man, I suggest you try and aquIREAAAAHHGGUUGGHHH" because a bear jumped up and slapped the hell out of her.

Uppity old bitch :colbert:

Appreciate the God bling though. Dunno if it works too well cause holy gently caress I was getting shot a lot after that, but hey, free bling.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

leidend posted:

Also got the one-shot bear kills without the buffalo rifle (semi-auto shotgun). Just wait until their face is nearly on the business end and fire. Takes balls of steel to wait that long but they won't swipe until it's too late.

Speaking of balls of steel, it's great fun to play "chicken" with trains as they pull into a station. Guess where the train is going to stop and get as close as you can to the train without moving at all.

I do this whenever I see a train pull into a station. I haven't killed any horses doing it yet and my personal best is something like 3 feet. :smug:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really. The only thing you might want to hold into it for would be when you get paid more for selling stuff (if you're playing as a Hero).

You get more money for animals that are not from around that area. Like, if you sell boars in Mexico where there are none, they're worth more money.

Beaver Hides are my bread and butter. Made $3,000 in one go unloading Beaver Meat/Skin, Bear Meat/Fur and Fox Meat/Fur. Too bad there's nothing to spend it on. :(

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 21, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My nun appeared in Tall Trees to give me the trinket, and then she tried to walk into me to go past me, making John go "Hey, watch it sister!", the nun say "Good manners are free young man, I suggest you try and aquIREAAAAHHGGUUGGHHH" because a bear jumped up and slapped the hell out of her.

Uppity old bitch :colbert:

Appreciate the God bling though. Dunno if it works too well cause holy gently caress I was getting shot a lot after that, but hey, free bling.

Ahahahaha, amazing. Oh my christ, I've just thought, there absolutely has to be a "bears everywhere" cheat. Imagine how amazing it would be to have them running through Blackwater, loving poo poo up.

I just tried to lure one into town but they just turn away at a certain point. Why? It would be so amazing to have a bear tearing through Blackwater.

On a totally unrelated note, loving hell bastard cunting hellfires, I'm trying to get a ringer in horseshoes for the trophy (looking to platinum my first game ever) and it's poo poo as gently caress. I've even had it spin around the peg and then land a few centimetres away from the peg and it doesn't count. SAHSF:hawdlghwefjowhj, is all I can say. Why the poo poo can't I go into deadeye for this?

EDIT: ridiculous typo, ended up spelling "platinum" as "plllanutim"

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is anyone else having problems getting multiplayer to work? I can fart around by myself in Free Roam and gain levels just fine, but I can never find any other players to join for any game type. I figured it was my shitass wireless routers screwing things up at first, so I ran a cable to my PS3 and still had no luck. After a "gently caress this poo poo" moment and DMZ'ing my PS3, I still can't ever connect to any other players. Even worse, this is the only game that is having problems. What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

fennesz posted:

Beaver Hides are my bread and butter. Made $3,000 in one go unloading Beaver Meat/Skin, Bear Meat/Fur and Fox Meat/Fur. Too bad there's nothing to spend it on. :(

A satchel full of horse deeds and maxed out consumables. If you did that already, then gamble, gamble, gamble until you're dead (or the other guys are for cheatin').

...yeah, at the beginning of the game, I was excited I could use money to buy things like provisions and the like, but after a while it becomes a non-issue. :(

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

...yeah, at the beginning of the game, I was excited I could use money to buy things like provisions and the like, but after a while it becomes a non-issue. :(
Especially considering that if you do the Challenges, you eventually can make your own provisions.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
The last race mission you do for Wess Dickens is a lot harder than the first. I remember racing towards the finishline on my second try, all out of horse pills, when my horse bucked me off with one horse length to go. :mad:

Also it was kind of the wolves to bring all of their friends when I was knife hunting them. I felt like I was there was a Gauntlet-style wolf generator nearby.

Still, having tons of fun.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

Mr_Person posted:

Is anyone else having problems getting multiplayer to work? I can fart around by myself in Free Roam and gain levels just fine, but I can never find any other players to join for any game type. I figured it was my shitass wireless routers screwing things up at first, so I ran a cable to my PS3 and still had no luck. After a "gently caress this poo poo" moment and DMZ'ing my PS3, I still can't ever connect to any other players. Even worse, this is the only game that is having problems. What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

Sometimes I can't even connect to free roam, other times I can join a game with 15 other people no problem, I have no idea what the issue is but it must be something with the game or Rockstar's servers or something, not your PS3. Just try going into different modes, (i.e. Gang Shootout or Hardcore Free Roam) and see if anybody else shows up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gazmachine posted:

On a totally unrelated note, loving hell bastard cunting hellfires, I'm trying to get a ringer in horseshoes for the trophy (looking to platinum my first game ever) and it's poo poo as gently caress. I've even had it spin around the peg and then land a few centimetres away from the peg and it doesn't count. SAHSF:hawdlghwefjowhj, is all I can say. Why the poo poo can't I go into deadeye for this?

EDIT: ridiculous typo, ended up spelling "platinum" as "plllanutim"

I hated horseshoes at first but on my second go I had three ringers in a row. Sighting in with the index finger just a bit to the side of the peg really helped me.

Unfortunately I absolutely cannot wrap my head around Liar's Dice. It makes no sense to me. I've read the posts trying to explain it and it didn't help. I can't even figure out why we each have dice. They seem to play no role in what's happening.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Dick Trauma posted:

I hated horseshoes at first but on my second go I had three ringers in a row. Sighting in with the index finger just a bit to the side of the peg really helped me.

Unfortunately I absolutely cannot wrap my head around Liar's Dice. It makes no sense to me. I've read the posts trying to explain it and it didn't help. I can't even figure out why we each have dice. They seem to play no role in what's happening.
Every "bid" of dice means you're saying "there are greater than or equal the amount of dice I bid". You cannot bid less than the person before you so eventually someone has to make an outlandish claim.

So someone starts off by saying "I bid 1 6 dice." That means he's saying out of all the dice on the table there is at least 1 dice that rolled a 6. The next person has to "up" the bid so he can bid that there are at least 2 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. or he can bid that at least 3 of whatever were rolled.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

some of the mp challenges are hilarious. I've been running throwing myself off of cliffs and rolling around all over the countryside.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dick Trauma posted:

Here's everything you need to know about Liar's Dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-n8nA6xLM

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

It's about lying. You're betting how many of a certain die face are on the table at any given time. Faces are obviously 1-6, and depending on the amount of people you're playing with you can have between 12 or more dice on the table at once (assuming it's 6 dice per player).

So you lie. You say, "I got 3 fours". Maybe you DO have 3 fours, maybe you only have 1 four or 5 fours or NO fours, it doesn't matter. You're betting that there are at least 3 fours on the table. Next person is either going to call your bluff (which would be stupid since 3 fours is very probable) or make a higher bid. Next player always has to make a bid at least one higher. They might say 4 fours or 5 sixes or 7 threes, whatever. When they make a bid that sounds like total bullshit, you call them on it. If they're wrong, they lose a die. If they're right, you lose a die.

If you think their bid is exactly right, you say "Spot On", and if it's exactly right they lose a die, or if it isn't, you lose a die. As everyone loses dice, higher bids become more and more risky because there can only be so many on the table. It also becomes easier to call a spot on.

Of course this is all better in real life when you can gently caress with actual people. In the game it's just a bunch of computer players who never lie/always call bluffs, so I can't really help you. Just bid one more or less than what you have under your cup, that usually works (say you have 3 threes, bid 2 threes or 4 threes, so they don't know what you actually have).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

So someone starts off by saying "I bid 1 6 dice." That means he's saying out of all the dice on the table there is at least 1 dice that rolled a 6. The next person has to "up" the bid so he can bid that there are at least 2 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. or he can bid that at least 3 of whatever were rolled.
I wish you could go back and get the tutorial messages again without starting a new game. I got confused because I thought it told me I could bid a higher number of the same die or bid a higher die(i.e. one 1 could be outbid by one 6).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is my game bugged or is the larger bag you get from one of the challenges really that crappy that if you buy say, 10 medicines which is double you can normally carry without the new bag, save, then load the game you're back down to 5 medicines? Because that's what keeps happening to me. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks to everyone for the Liar's Dice info. I'm looking forward to giving it another go tonight.

And to pushing more whores over. Last night I was in Armadillo and shotgunned some knife wielding rear end in a top hat who was going to stab a hooker. As she was thanking me I promptly pushed her down and Marston said something like "Excuse me, miss!"

It really should be a minigame.

EDIT: I came across three soldiers in Mexico who executed some poor bastard who was begging for his life. Shot him in the back. I kept bumping into one of the three until he was separated from his friends and then I gave him a good shove. As soon as he drew down on me I blasted him. It was worth the $50 fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
So DLC tomorrow! Who wants to team up for some co-op action? My friend who has RDR doesn't have internet at the moment. My XBL gamertag is the same as my forum name.

• Locked thread