Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Squizzle posted:

That's a portion of the whole small enough that I'm pretty sure it constitutes fair use:

Thanks for this :D Printing out my own stat block for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

Anisotropic Shader posted:

I don't think Wizards would add two more races that could be wis/con. I'd also think that thri-kreen would be wis and dex or str to make them the perfect rangers.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Dwarves and now Muls cover Wis/Con, so why make Thri-Kreen that was as well? I do think Dex will be their non-negotiable stat, though. The biggest emphasis I tend to see on the bugs is that they're fast. So, that's my reasoning behind +2 Dex and +2 Wis or +2 Str. But, it's really just speculation. I do have to say, though, I rather like the idea of that spread as it does make them stand out as really awesome as either kind of ranger.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wis + dex/str would make them good at all types of melee-focused or ranged-focused ranger, but less good at a melee + range thrown weapon ranger. It'd also let them be optimal PHB fighters (dex always + str/wis lets them be good tempests and brawlers), the new wis-possible warlords, all primals but barbarian (being able to get str/dex makes them good whirling barbies), and most divine classes. Dex + str/wis adds monks to the list. I'd be fine with either of those lists; you can handle most things I'd think of as archetypal thri-kreen things with them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rodney, I don't know if you're still reading, but: I know you probably can't reveal anything too specific, but what aspect of the design for modern Dark Sun are you proudest of?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Dedekind posted:

Head-Smashed-In Elf Jump?

And the most nomadic race in the fluff was the elf, and there was no "this is because they are in tune with nature and do not wish to strain the land" spin put on it. The Thri-Kreen were flat-out noble savages.

Didn't the 2e Fighter's Handbook have a kit that was explicitly called Noble Savage?

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

whydirt posted:

Didn't the 2e Fighter's Handbook have a kit that was explicitly called Noble Savage?

Don't think so. Poking around, looks like it had the Noble Warrior, and a bunch of barbarianesque kits (Amazon, Barbarian, Savage, Wilderness Warrior), but none of them were named or even designed to be "noble savage."

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
loving sweet. One of my players picked up the Free RPG Day adventure for our group today. With that plus the Encounters material, our campaign will be well underway by the time the books even come out. So pumped.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also managed to pick up the adventure, and the production values! It is mighty, the map looks great, and the character sheets are possibly some kind of dry-erase material.

Are the D&D "Encounters" this quality? I may need to get back into doing organized stuff.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

moths posted:

I also managed to pick up the adventure, and the production values! It is mighty, the map looks great, and the character sheets are possibly some kind of dry-erase material.

Are the D&D "Encounters" this quality? I may need to get back into doing organized stuff.

It's all like this. Except the Shaman doesn't have a daily, which is odd (In the Free RPG day game).

The bitch I found today in Free RPG Day, is I was planning on spending like 2 hours max at the store.... 7 hours. Played the D&D adventure for the first encounter, and then our group picked up the Pathfinder adventure and ended that early for Call of Cthulu. The store had set up the games 1 hour apart, so it was more of a sample everything day. :v:

By any means, the point of the aside is that we played the D&D adventure and had 0 issues playing the game. Granted we know D&D and play the encounters sessions together, but we didn't have to reference anything outside of the adventure book unless we wanted some sort of rules lookup, like if we were curious of if a ranged touch attack would provoke an attack of opportunity or something.

Pathfinder though we had to have one of the guys in our group to run to his house, get his books, and come back, because the adventure that was provided had 0 info about the monsters outside of page numbers to reference in the book, and all of the skills/spells had 0 information outside of a description of 3.5 rulings. Like "Spell-like abilities" but didn't actually mention what the spell does. For instance, I played the gnome summoner and had 6/day summon spells, yet the game didn't actually tell me WHAT I summoned or any stats to speak of for something that could be summoned.

Call of Cthulu was run by a guy who played it before and played often, while it was all of our first times playing ever, and was quite fun, and ended up keeping me there till they closed the store at 7, and we were actually going to make it out with one fatality in the party, and I ALMOST died, but lived with 2 hp, and almost gone insane.

Succulent Thighs
Mar 22, 2003

Missed out on the adventure because Denver sucks dicks when it comes to game stores participating in stuff like this. Is it worth the $15 some assholes are charging on ebay?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Succulent Thighs posted:

Missed out on the adventure because Denver sucks dicks when it comes to game stores participating in stuff like this. Is it worth the $15 some assholes are charging on ebay?

It's a decent but small adventure, maybe 15 shipped, but that expensive I'd think. Only reason I$'d go for it is it has a warlock which is great, I really love the class. $10 seems to me a good price for an adventure though. If anything, wait and see if they release it as a free .pdf in the next few weeks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the latter half of the adventure is kinda lovely, but the first half is awesome, especially with arena combat re-written to something fun.

I'm getting the maps scanned in sometime soon, so I'll :filez: them for ya'll

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I ran the Arena encounter as written and my players demes to have a lot of fun. I did warn them beforehand that the 1st and 2nd encounter was the place to use their dailies, dunno.

The best part was when the warlock, ran to the elves coin receptical, jumped in, tossed all the coins out, and put the lid on, and held it down on the inside

RodneyThompson
Jun 13, 2010

Squizzle posted:

Rodney, I don't know if you're still reading, but: I know you probably can't reveal anything too specific, but what aspect of the design for modern Dark Sun are you proudest of?

I'm pretty jazzed about themes. I really like the way we addressed treasure/metal/etc. in the setting; basically, there's a nice chunk of the book that talks about how to do Dark Sun without having to just do the same old stuff for treasure. Now, keep in mind I was a developer, not a designer, but I'm also really pleased with the way defiling turned out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am not too familiar with a lot of monsters from previous editions, so this may help a DM who is running Bloodsand Arena. These guys show up and aren't really described at all. Spoilering it in case someone plays!

The gith are a race of grotesque humanoids that appear to be a
peculiar mixture of elf and reptile. They are extremely gaunt and
lanky, with long gangling arms and spindly legs. Their hands have
three fingers with no opposable thumb, yet they are able to use tools
and wield weapons. Both their fingers and toes end in sharp claws.
If one could get a gith to stand up straight, he would measure close
to seven feet tall. However, most gith appear to be no more than five
feet tall, for they stand hunched over at the shoulders.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Has there been any word about how the environment is going to be an active hazard to the players in Dark Sun? A while back someone suggested a starvation/sun sickness thing using the disease structure set up in 4e and that sounded like a pretty cool idea.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Well so far (as shown by the Encounters sessions) a new resource is present called Survival Days or something like that. Which are the number of days you can survive in the desolate landscape before I assume you have to start making Endurance checks or whatnot (since I am not running the Encounters thing I do not know what happens when you run out).

You can of course increase this by purchasing or looting or foraging for water and food. I can't well explain it, but hopefully someone else will be able to.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

Aranan posted:

Has there been any word about how the environment is going to be an active hazard to the players in Dark Sun? A while back someone suggested a starvation/sun sickness thing using the disease structure set up in 4e and that sounded like a pretty cool idea.

There's a treasure parcel for supplies called Survival days, each player character needs 1 survival day per day or else they can be afflicted by Sun Sickness, a disease track that starts draining healing surges (or hp if you run out of surges) and as it worsens applies roll penalties, slow and weakened and in the last stage death.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sounds pretty much like what I was hoping for. Thanks. :)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I can actually provide an image for angrylinuxgeek's spoilers, because of a website that has the Monstrous Manual transcribed! It's like they love cease & desist orders:

RodneyThompson posted:

I'm pretty jazzed about themes. I really like the way we addressed treasure/metal/etc. in the setting; basically, there's a nice chunk of the book that talks about how to do Dark Sun without having to just do the same old stuff for treasure. Now, keep in mind I was a developer, not a designer, but I'm also really pleased with the way defiling turned out.

I keep getting confused about which group is design and which is development. It's like close burst vs. close blast: the differences are rather opaque to the uninitiated.

As simple as they seem (at the very early levels of play at which we've seen them so far), themes get me excited in ways I can't explain. My biggest regret about them is that they're only appearing now, instead of having had the opportunity to evolve like every other element of 4E has since first appearing. (If the page count for the Rules Compendium has room for themes, I'd love to see some there. No one would complain if you cut half-elves to find the space.) Of all of the Special Snowflake setting additions (spellscars and terrible backgrounds for FR, dragonmarks in Eberron), themes are the best.

My hope is that themes (and other, more innately Dark Sun things, e.g. defiling) have or develop the same sort of extensive support that tieflings or fighters have, as 4E ages. I'd love to be able to really commit to playing a Wasteland Nomad or Noble Adept or Pirate.

Attilla posted:

I can't well explain it, but hopefully someone else will be able to.

Dark Sun: Fury of the Wastewalker posted:

Travel between Athasian city-states is dangerous at best. Even with ample supplies and proper safeguards, travelers are at risk from sandstorms, raiders, thirst, exhaustion, and the punishing sun. The DARK SUN setting abstracts necessary supplies for travel on Athas through the use of survival days. These expendable resources account for food, water, proper clothing, and other supplies. Each survival day allows a single character to travel in the dangerous wastes of Athas for one day without being subjected to starvation or thirst.
Once a character runs our of survival days, there's a Sun Sickness disease track whose attack scales with character level. The Endurance DCs to move up and down the track do not scale with character level, in the version printed here. They're ridiculously high for something that is meant to afflict low-level characters; it's possible that Sun Sickness is meant to be terrifyingly brutal early on, and a trifle at best in epic tier (as in "literally impossible to worsen, even untrained, at level 22 and after"). Even the initial effect hits hard: lose a surge or HP equal to surge value, qhich cannot be recovered until you are no longer sun-sick.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Squizzle posted:

I keep getting confused about which group is design and which is development. It's like close burst vs. close blast: the differences are rather opaque to the uninitiated.

Design = idea men, "hey guys how about this," they get their names on the cover
Development = crunchy math bits, "okay let's make it work" team

Kerison fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 21, 2010

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Squizzle posted:

Also, seriously, there's an easy way to remember it (I figure all of us are familiar enough, but, just in case): Burst has U (you) in it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

pseudosavior posted:

Also, seriously, there's an easy way to remember it (I figure all of us are familiar enough, but, just in case): Burst has U (you) in it.

A Blast Launches At SomeThing,
but in a burst, U R in the middle.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Blast rhymes with assed which is like bending over and holding a match out while you fart.

Reskinned burning hands! 4e rules!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kerison posted:

Design = idea men, "hey guys how about this," they get their names on the cover
Development = crunchy math bits, "okay let's make it work" team

So development is guts, design is glory.

I've been digging through 4E's various Big Books of Things to Stab, and I'm struck by how much of Monster Manual 3 is easily transportable to Athas. The first two installments have nice chunks of Dark Sunnable murderable content, but number three is jam-packed. I'm imagining Apocalypse Spells as wandering remnants of great and reckless works, defiling the land ceaselessly until the PCs destroy them. Arcanians--nearly anything undead can fit in Athas--could work as presented, or as lesser lieutenants of a t'liz or kaisharga. Earthquake and volcanic dragons are one gentle reskin away from being paraelemental monsters--not to mention the elementals themselves that are in the book, and the elemental cults of Imix and Ogremoch. Howlers and oblivion mosses obviously are similar in spirit to prior edition Dark Sun threats. Starspawn? Someone surely can be summoning something other than just psurlons for a favor. Umber hulks almost belong in Dark Sun. And the book has thri-kreen! And this:

I'm :spergin: hard at this.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Yeah, MM3 has a lot of good creatures in it. I can completely see where you're coming from with a lot of the creatures. Also, if you want to follow that one theory of the Athas Crystal Sphere that was linked way back when... then you could easily have some of those Starspawn in the vast darkness just before the edge of the sphere.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
any word yet on whether uploading encounters is yay or nay?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

any word yet on whether uploading encounters is yay or nay?

Has anyone asked a mod?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Someone asked, but no one has relayed word here.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Free RPG Day adventure is on wizards.com: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/freerpgday

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

enigma105 posted:

Free RPG Day adventure is on wizards.com: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/freerpgday

Its corrupted :smith:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Super Waffle posted:

Its corrupted :smith:

Not only that, it's not actually posted, that's just the pregen characters.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

KGBAgent185 posted:

Not only that, it's not actually posted, that's just the pregen characters.

Wow, that's what I get for skimming the text. How useless :(

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
Goblins... goblins!?!? GOBLINS?!?!

Its me, I'm the grognard.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

I frowned and reskinned them as bandits because I told my players about how certain monsters and races had gone extinct in Athas and I didn't want them to call bullshit on me :colbert:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Haha. Me too. It still doesn't diminish how amped I am.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Daskinor will hear of this! He will not be pleased.

we will see who the true grognards are now

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I just got back from the "LAND AWAY FROM THE INTERNET", and I return to hear there are goblins, in my Dark Sun?!?!

Surely you gentlemen must be joking?!? Surely everyone knows that Daskinor, Goblin Death himself, was successful in his mission?!?

It is me...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
so i take it goblins werent in 2e dark sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CombatWombat posted:

so i take it goblins werent in 2e dark sun
Nope. Daskinor, the 14th Champion of Rajaat killed 'em all.

(God bless Wikipedia and all my fellow sperging nerds for actually having a list of the Champions available online.)

Edit: Ritorix, I remembered Daskinor's name, but not off the top of my head which race he was assigned to exterminate... so semi-grognard?

Edit 2: The following races were totally extinct in 2e Dark Sun: Kobolds, Ogres, Trolls, Orcs, Gnomes, Wemics (lion-centaurs), Pixies, Goblins, and (with a surviving enclave living under the Last Sea) Lizard Men.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 24, 2010

• Locked thread