Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

nuyhij posted:

KracKiwi, I'm sorry to hear about Pippin. And I agree with Hungry Joes Smile and some of the other posters: this thread makes me downright depressed sometimes, with all of the bunny passings. I can't get myself to think about losing my seven-year-old Dutch. But then I remember that the buns mentioned in this thread are loved and well taken care of.

Which is why stuff like this pisses me off: http://www.slate.com/id/2249562/entry/2257070/. A father gets a rabbit for each of his daughters, and after the family dog kills one of them, he buys a replacement to console the rabbit-less daughter. The dog kills the new rabbit, the daughter is upset, so she gets another new one.:(

That guy is a loving idiot. "Oh noes my dog keeps killing bunnies. I just keep on buying them. Aw shucks."

Who the gently caress... well actually no I understand this type of person. Its the type who says "What its just a rodent, like a rat with big ears." And for some reason their incorrect knowledge of lagamorphs means its alright to abuse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm sorry to everyone who lost a loved one recently :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

KenMornignstar posted:

That guy is a loving idiot. "Oh noes my dog keeps killing bunnies. I just keep on buying them. Aw shucks."

Who the gently caress... well actually no I understand this type of person. Its the type who says "What its just a rodent, like a rat with big ears." And for some reason their incorrect knowledge of lagamorphs means its alright to abuse them.

But I am sincerely heartened by the overwhelming tide of people who rose up to voice their disgust at his actions. Surprisingly, a lot of people seem to realize that rabbits need very specialized care and aren't just cage-dwelling, pellet-munching, living toys for their children. Alright internet. :)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Serella posted:

But I am sincerely heartened by the overwhelming tide of people who rose up to voice their disgust at his actions. Surprisingly, a lot of people seem to realize that rabbits need very specialized care and aren't just cage-dwelling, pellet-munching, living toys for their children. Alright internet. :)

When I was about 12, my sister dropped one of my dutch rabbits outside and the dog got it. I never received a replacement for her though because I had six other bunnies. I've never forgiven her for it, or my mom who made me let her carry the rabbit around.

One thing I'll never understand these days is why people are as clueless about rabbits as they are. I'm not perfect, but I understand, unlike my cousin, that a pet taxi does not make a good rabbit cage(yes, a permanent, all-day home).

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Bunny rabbit!

His name is Jericho, Jerry for short. This photo is from when he was about one month old, he's about 9 months now.

During the summer he gets really hot and frizzy. We keep brushing him in the hopes that his fur will finally shed a bit but he hasn't done a full-on shedding cycle yet. Angoras supposedly shed two or three times a year, but I guess he's still a bit young yet.

He has a roommate, Nona. She's a little jealous of the attention Jerry gets so she usually just stays away from him. Thankfully she has no front claws, a few times when Jerry has gotten super close to investigate her, she's smacked him on the nose and run off. NO TREATS FOR JEALOUS KITTIES.

Normally he isn't all that keen on hanging around and getting petted. Maybe because he can't feel it that well under all the fur, but he much prefers to explore constantly and will not have us interrupting him. You can tell he likes us though when the bag of treats comes out, plus he's always super excited when we wake up in the morning.

Lately he's been doing something a bit strange though. Not every night, maybe once a week, he'll come into the bedroom and start stomping (he has free reign of the house all the time, has a big cage but we don't put him in it). It's loud enough to wake us up, last night he did it and I got a good look at him and he's actually jumping up about a foot and then slamming his foot down. When he noticed we had woken up he scampers under the bed and continues to stomp, though much quieter since he can't jump. I read that rabbits stomp when they're warning of a predator, or when they're showing off as a dominance thing. He's been neutered and has no other bunnies to impress/threaten, and he's never considered the cat a threat or anything before. Is he actually trying to wake us up to get attention maybe?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
He could smell something outside. Ender once freaked out and stomped up a fest when I was in college. There was a raccoon right outside my window.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

That seems likely, word is there's been a coyote or two hanging around the neighborhood. I really don't want him to get so worked up that he hurts himself. Picking him up and letting him hang around on the bed for a while seemed to calm him down, but he's already been stomping at that point. Maybe keeping the windows closed from now on will help.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Through The Decade posted:

OMG IT'S A GIANT FLUFFBALL EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Seriously, my brain shut down at that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Rabbits also thump when they want attention and you aren't giving it to them. Keep in mind as crepuscular creatures their natural cycle is sunrise and sunset to be the most active.

IF my rabbits decide they want attention and we aren't quite attentive enough they run in front of us and thump until we do what they want, which is sometimes a head rubbing, but more often they just want us to look at them.

After having rabbits for the past 5 years and researching them a lot, I realize that they constantly look at each other; and since they can see in 360 degrees, they can do it easier than we can. But they like to look at you and want you to look at them. Otherwise you're just being an rear end in a top hat according to them.

As he gets to know you better he will demand more attention. He will consider himself top of the rabbit pyramid as well. Because when he demands that you pet and groom him him, you do. Which is basically him saying, "Yo I'm the top bunny here you will pet me right now." We ALWAYS do, which just reinforces his belief system. Luckily most people don't mind being on the low end of the "I get to pet the bunny" totem pole.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

God yes, my rabbit will give a really loud thump the moment he sees I'm home. He HAS to make sure I know he's there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

KenMornignstar posted:

Rabbits also thump when they want attention and you aren't giving it to them. Keep in mind as crepuscular creatures their natural cycle is sunrise and sunset to be the most active.

Or when you aren't feeding them on time :argh:

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.

alucinor posted:

Make sure that your vet plans to perform a total ovariohysterectomy - both ovaries and uterus removed, not just one or the other.

Thanks - the girls are booked in for the procedure in a couple of weeks. I asked the clinic and they'll be getting the full removal.

edit: on the topic of hatred for harm done to bunnies, this story was in the news here a few months back http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10628132. There's crazy and there's crazy and then there's using a bunny as a weapon.

Hungry Joes Smile fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 19, 2010

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Since everyone was interested in my cage a few pages back, I took pictures:

This is the whole shebang. The goal was to make it as huge as possible, because you guys said to. It used to be two separate cages, but Camille and Pepper aren't trying to eat each other's faces off any more so everybun lives together. That's a sheet of coroplast on the bottom. I used to have a rug, but the vet poo poo a brick. She wanted me to put brown paper on the bottom and replace it, but holy poo poo wads the coroplast is easier.

Camille and Pepper frequently thank me for all their cage space by sitting in the corner most of the day.

Litterbox view. I can't find bigger/better hay feeders then these things that don't look like they'd be too tall for my bunnies. If you have a suggestion, by all means. You can also see the bungalo -- Pepper tore the bottom out of it, so now it lives out the rest of its days in a cardboard box lid. Bunnies use it for covert hiding missions.

I'm really proud of this invention. Camille and Pepper love cage chewing -- some times, when they're out playing, they'll hop back in their cage and chew the bars. I don't even know what the hell that means in bunlanguage, since they've already been let out. So, I got plastic baby chains and hung them over their favorite chew spot. It's made out of the same material as plastic baby keys, and getting in a fight to the death with baby chains is way healthier/more amusing then cage chewing.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bean posted:

Camille and Pepper frequently thank me for all their cage space by sitting in the corner most of the day.

they might be trying to find cover from the evil vultures that circle your room. Try putting something they can sit under or make a little cube bu attaching two to make a 90degree angle for them to sit under :)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

luscious posted:

they might be trying to find cover from the evil vultures that circle your room. Try putting something they can sit under or make a little cube by attaching two to make a 90degree angle for them to sit under :)

Agreed. Debbie used to hide all the time, but then I bent a single grid and zip-tied part of a grass mat to the top. She will spend hours sitting under it. She also has a loft to sit under, and there is a house on top that has hides in when I vacuum. I'm lucky that she actually makes use of the huge area(6gridx4grid) by running laps and throwing toys every night around 3am.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bean posted:

drat dude, that's amazing.

It looks kinda open to me though. What about putting an upturned cardboard box in a corner with a hole cut out so the buns can hide in it?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro's stash of Kleen Mama's hay ran out and we stopped in at a local pet store to pick up some Oxbow to hold her over until the new shipment arrives on Wednesday. When we got in, we noticed a glass enclosure divided in two full of bunnies. They were on aspen shavings without hay or water. It hurt my heart to see the yellow bottoms of their feet and my wife had words with the cashier about how they needed some hay. :sigh:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Update on Sascha-face. She decided to eat the first three days after the vet visit. She isn't displaying any signs of dizziness and is standing up and running around again. However last night she decided she wasn't hungry anymore and wouldn't eat. She didn't eat this morning either.

So it was force feeding time. We wrapped her in a towel and stuff her face full of the herbivore food the vet gave us. She was not happy, but she swallowed everything. I get to hit her again with it tonight.

PS: Bunnies do not like the taste of antibiotics. I have never seen a rabbit act like a dog with peanut butter in his mouth but every time we feed her the antibiotics she sits there smacking her lips and glaring at us like we killed her. Pretty funny stuff.

EDIT: So after getting home and wrapping her up to syringe feed her, she struggles free and kicks the syringe. A big blob of food shoots out and lands on the couch. She turns around and licks it all up. I sit there dumbfounded and then squirt it all on to a little plastic disc and the rabbit hops over and makes these great little happy grunts as she devours the entire thing.

I am so confused right now.

VVVVV I hope he is okay. He is adorable.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 22, 2010

Sarinnanashi
Dec 27, 2004

I'm sure there is a reason for this, but I don't think I want to know it.
Well, I took in my little fat-ball Luna to the vet today. He started to feel bad last night and kept drinking a lot of water over the night. This morning I found him cowering in my closet holding in his stomach and got him to the vet as soon as possible. He is going to stay there overnight as they are working under the assumption it is G.I Stasis and are administering fluids and critical care. They will call me with the results of an the x-ray soon just to make sure he has no other underlying heath problems. My poor little bear :ohdear:

Edit: Picture of him. He is the black one.

Sarinnanashi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2010

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Nibbler doesn't seem to like me holding her anymore.. :( Everytime I get her out of her cage and try to hold her she scratches the gently caress out of me and struggles to get down so she can just run around.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Nibbler doesn't seem to like me holding her anymore.. :( Everytime I get her out of her cage and try to hold her she scratches the gently caress out of me and struggles to get down so she can just run around.

Sounds like perfectly normal rabbit behavior. Most rabbits hate being held. An affectionate rabbit can be defined as one who will come up and lay next to you on the floor for pets, but run away if you try to lift them up.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Do you actually reach into her cage and pick her up or do you just open the door and let her hop out on her own? Because if you're reaching in it's kind of an invasion of privacy.

I mean just imagine being a rabbit for a moment. You're chillin' in your personal space which you've marked off with the appropriate amount of strategic pooping. Now all the other rabbits in the area know it's your crib and they better watch the gently caress out. Suddenly these two giant man-hands reach through your door to make a grab at you, ignoring your scent, your poop marks, the big sign on the wall that says "Mine." They're pawing at you and trying to curl around your body. What would you do?

I've met a rabbit that was okay with being held, but only after they hop out of their cage and approach me on their own. Even then they can only be kept in your lap for a few minutes before they get bored and start squirming.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

I've prepared a handy chart which may help.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Bun has really taken to running circles around/under me the past couple weeks. Every morning without fail when I let him out he runs laps around me for several minutes. I can move one leg at a time and slowly walk down the hall but he just keeps going. Even on hardwood floor he just keeps going. A couple times while doing this he has thumped quite loud, not sure why exactly.

He still has a habit of laying down directly in the sun when he is hot, should I try to discourage this? He is colored black and is old.

Edit: That chart explains why.

CampingCarl fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 24, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I've been leaving the door to the bunny room open all the time (after carefully going over everything to make sure that there's no way that the buns can injure themselves) and Bitsy has been coming into my room to say hi! My plan of having them go wherever they want is working and as soon as I get some carpets going all should be well.

Paterson peed on the blanket that my boyfriend uses though. Why? Because he loves him :3:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

CampingCarl posted:

Bun has really taken to running circles around/under me the past couple weeks. Every morning without fail when I let him out he runs laps around me for several minutes. I can move one leg at a time and slowly walk down the hall but he just keeps going. Even on hardwood floor he just keeps going. A couple times while doing this he has thumped quite loud, not sure why exactly.

He still has a habit of laying down directly in the sun when he is hot, should I try to discourage this? He is colored black and is old.

Edit: That chart explains why.

My big Roo used to do this before he was neutered. Your Bun's intact, right? Even an old man like him probably feels a lil' stirring in his oats once in a while. :huh:

My elderly buns and pigs spend far more time in the sun than I think is appropriate, but like old people, they probably need the warmth. One of my arthritis boys won't hardly move at all anymore except to follow the sun across his cage. I wouldn't worry about it at this point in Bun's life.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The Face seems to be feeling better again. She is eating all her hay normally and all the fresh veggies we put in there. Not as much as she used too but much more than nothing. Her fecal pellets still aren't fully formed, but they are returning to normal.

Anyway my wife decided she would do feeding duties last night. Bad idea. The rabbit struggled to get away and in the process of removing herself from the bunny burrito broke a toenail off. Blood got everywhere and I wake up to my wife screaming that she killed the rabbit and its bleeding like mad.

I hop out of bed and snatch up the Sascha-face who is thumping as loud as possible and flip her over. Outside toenail is gone on a back foot. I put her down and she thumps one more time before running up to my hand and chinning me as hard as she possibly could. Literally just beats my hand down with her chin. Then thumps again and decides we have learned our lesson.

She proceeds to hop over to the syringe my wife dropped and chew on the end trying to eat the food she had struggled to get away from.

Stupid rabbits.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rodent Mortician posted:

I've prepared a handy chart which may help.

Hahaha this is perfect.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Today's a super hot day, I put a frozen bottle of water in Billy's cage. Usually he completely ignores it or tries to eat it but this time he snuggled up to it. Thank gently caress he got the idea this time. He looks very cool and comfortable :)

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Had this come up in conversation, what is the reason that rabbits go into a trance while upside down? Is it physical(nerves, balance) or mental(fear or confusion)?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

CampingCarl posted:

Had this come up in conversation, what is the reason that rabbits go into a trance while upside down? Is it physical(nerves, balance) or mental(fear or confusion)?

My Google-fu says it's Tonic Immobility, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_death#Tonic_immobility ) an instinctual reaction to a threat.

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.
Audrey has gone psycho. Over the past couple of weeks she's been getting friendlier and friendlier with people, but giving Greta a hard time with attempts at dominance. It was this that let us know that it was time to see the vet, as I talked about in a previous post. The op is still two weeks away.

Well, that "adorable" phase that Audrey hit, where she'd jump up to you for snuggles, appears to have gone and been replaced with an Audrey who jumps up to ATTACK. She's adamant that she's going to burrow or chew through my clothes, and when I try to move her I get a nipping. Thank god we trimmed her claws a couple of days before the behaviour started, or I'd be a mess.

I've put her in the cage for time-out three time already this evening, and now she's a little better. She's sitting calmly beside me as I write this (she's calm - I'm certainly not!)

So is this just a phase? Something that the op will fix? Something I'm doing wrong? (Audrey tries the same poo poo on with my partner too)

and we're back in time out after another scuffle.. Any help or insight appreciated! Here's a pic taken just three days ago when her (foreground) and greta would just cuddle up and sit on my lap no problem.

EDIT: I just had a brain wave and chucked an old towel the poor girl's way. She's going nuts for it, burrowing in it, biting it and generally doing all the stuff she was doing to me. Binkying over it too. Yay. Hopefully this diverts her destructive attention from me for a while.

Edit 2: So after an evening of taking it out on the towel she's settled down a bit and come back to sit on my lap for cuddles a couple of times without any naughtiness. Crazy buns

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hungry Joes Smile fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 29, 2010

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

If I had to guess she just feels a little hyper. Digging in you is not a way of saying she hates you, it's her way of trying to get to the bottom of you. :love:

Try to ride it out and count yourself fortunate that they're already scheduled to be fixed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah all my bunnies dig at me. The little white one especially likes to jump on my belly and dig into it. I think its pretty funny.

I always wonder if they dont know that we are actually an entire object. Not just a face they recognize and changing stuff beneath it that isnt us. They wont dig when I dont have a shirt on but they will when I do.

Strange bunnies.

On another note, Sascha is going back to the vet today. She had a seizure this morning. Luckily I was there and scooped her up. She was rolling pretty hard against the side of her cage. I scooped her up and moved her to open carpet to let it run its course. 5 seconds later she stopped, looked at me confused, hopped back into her cage and begin eating again.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

about how long are peoples bunnies nails? Mine has dark nails and it's really hard to see where the hell the quick is, so I'm afraid I'm leaving them too long :ohdear:

I at least get them cut down so they're not sticking out of the fur on his paws, but they still seem like they might be a bit long.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Billy's nails are getting a bit long too and they're also black in the back. I think I'm just going to take him to the vet. Don't trust myself not to balls it up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My rabbits nails are naturally pretty long. They don't really have pads since a bunny foot is furred all the way around. Ours usually end up being cut a little past where the fur ends.

Although my white bunny is a mutant and each "thumb" nail on her front paws curls backward and outward. She also has freakishly long quicks that stick out about 1/4 past her fur, so she always has longer nails then the other ones.

The fat one has the shortest nails. But I think that has more to do with her digging around the food bowl and breaking off nails.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I always wonder about the nail issue too. I can see the quick easily on Eowyn's nails and can see it on about half of Godewyn's nails. Godewyn's "thumb" nails are freakishly short and never seem to grow, so I don't generally trim them (except for the odd occasion when they do seem to have grown and the end is really jagged).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

KenMornignstar posted:

My rabbits nails are naturally pretty long. They don't really have pads since a bunny foot is furred all the way around. Ours usually end up being cut a little past where the fur ends.

Cool, that's good to know. It'd be easy if I could just see the quick on all of his nails :argh:

He hates having stuff like that done, so we wrap him up in a towel and he spends most of the time chewing on the towel, but it's funny because he's also associated bunny burritos with getting treats afterwards, so as soon as I put him down, he starts running around looking for his treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just a heads up for SoCal rabbit owning goons. Our vet posted this on her facebook:

Dr. Sari Kanfer posted:

RABBIT VIRUS ALERT
Myxomatosis Alert! Three rabbits have died from this virus within the past month in the Southern California area. Please read NOW what you can do to protect your rabbit (s)!!
http://www.mybunny.org/documents/myxomatosis.pdf

I'm pretty worried, mostly because it seems there are no sure fire ways to prevent/treat this.