Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just started playing this game, and one of the first things I did was to shove some smarmy dude in a top hat off of a cliff for talking in riddles. Hopefully murdering a Stranger doesn't permanently lock me out of 100% completion :v:

I've been having a blast just shoving people around until they try to punch me, then climbing tall ladders when they chase me and having mini Mortal Kombat fights up on exposed platforms where I try to punch people into open space. It's also fun to get into the front car of the train and shove the conductor around, since doing so causes him to wig the gently caress out and teleport around.

Best thing I've done so far was to bump into a guy, get angry when he was rude to me, tie him up, and leave him in the middle of a pack of wolves. I don't understand how anyone can do any of the storyline missions; I always get sidetracked with the sheer amount of rear end in a top hat freedom the game gives me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I don't have this game on me at the moment, but does it support system link? I'm hoping to get my own TV and Xbox in a few months and I wanna play some free roam with my roommate. That'd work, right?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just started playing this game, and one of the first things I did was to shove some smarmy dude in a top hat off of a cliff for talking in riddles. Hopefully murdering a Stranger doesn't permanently lock me out of 100% completion :v:

You just murdered the best sidequest.

Don't read up on it though! I did and I got ending spoilered to hell and back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For the second time I saw a stagecoach at the side of the road and a woman standing out front with some obvious dirtbags a few paces behind, waiting to rob me.

The first time I killed all the crooks, captured the woman and left her on the train tracks. After all she tried to get me killed!

Yesterday I saw the same set up and capped all the bad guys, hopped off my horse to lasso the woman and noticed that instead of running this time she just knelt there. I tied her up and tossed her on my horse, just to see how long I could ride around with her.

When I decided to drop her off at the convent I noticed that the onscreen prompt said "carry victim."

Victim? Oh poo poo. Are there two types of roadside ambushes, one where the woman is complicit and one where she's forced to lure Marston in? I was glad that I shelved my plan to douse her with bait and leave her for the wolves.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Dick Trauma posted:

For the second time I saw a stagecoach at the side of the road and a woman standing out front with some obvious dirtbags a few paces behind, waiting to rob me.

The first time I killed all the crooks, captured the woman and left her on the train tracks. After all she tried to get me killed!

Yesterday I saw the same set up and capped all the bad guys, hopped off my horse to lasso the woman and noticed that instead of running this time she just knelt there. I tied her up and tossed her on my horse, just to see how long I could ride around with her.

When I decided to drop her off at the convent I noticed that the onscreen prompt said "carry victim."

Victim? Oh poo poo. Are there two types of roadside ambushes, one where the woman is complicit and one where she's forced to lure Marston in? I was glad that I shelved my plan to douse her with bait and leave her for the wolves.

it says that for anyone you tie up i think.

i think my game is bugged because it wont let me get the saloon fighting achievement

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
It says "victim" no matter who you hogtie.

There actually are two versions of that encounter, though. One is the bandit ambush, and another one where she actually does need a ride into town.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Why... would you do that? :psyduck:

edit: Seriously, restart the game.

the truth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 21, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

the truth posted:

That's actually the best thing, considering who the stranger turns out to be. Also, I'm pretty sure that if you kill a stranger they respawn after a few days of gametime. I killed the pimp in that one mission because, well, he was a scumbag, and the mission reappeared on my map shortly after. Unless the mission specifically calls for you to kill the mission giver, or they die in the normal course of the mission, they usually just respawn later.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ah, ok. I didn't know they respawned.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

Ah, ok. I didn't know they respawned.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the game you can kill respawns within 2-3 game days, unless they're supposed to die in a mission.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
I killed that racist, opium smuggling gently caress down in Chuparosa with the added benefit of keeping his $1,000 and looting another $200 from his corpse.

I can't imagine there's anyone who plays this that would let him live.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

dexplosivo posted:

I didn't! I also killed the flowers guy. Poor bastard :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

the truth posted:

Because we don't like them fancy-talking manipulator types out here :colbert:

Also it was worth it to watch him and his crazy moustache tumble comically down the cliff.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Because we don't like them fancy-talking manipulator types out here :colbert:

Also it was worth it to watch him and his crazy moustache tumble comically down the cliff.

I did exactly this too and for the same reason. He let out an "OoOh Myy" as he fell it was glorious.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Remmiz posted:

So DLC tomorrow! Who wants to team up for some co-op action? My friend who has RDR doesn't have internet at the moment. My XBL gamertag is the same as my forum name.

Is there a word on how much it's going to cost? Just bought this on PS3. PSN: chatwood-

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I shoved the "I Know You" guy of the cliff. He nailed a rock on the way down and went pinballing all the way to the bottom.

What's awesome is that it doesn't even contradict the rest of that plotline

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

midge posted:

Is there a word on how much it's going to cost? Just bought this on PS3. PSN: chatwood-

$0

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

dexplosivo posted:

I killed that racist, opium smuggling gently caress down in Chuparosa with the added benefit of keeping his $1,000 and looting another $200 from his corpse.

I gave him back his money, and was walking out into the courtyard when he called me puta, so I turned and dead-eyed him in the forehead. And of course looted his body. I love this game.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
I just ran into a cow there was clipping in to the ground and holding it's head in a weird manner. Imagine my surprise when I attack it with the knife and it clucks, lets out a cloud of feathers and blood and dies.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

porktree posted:

I gave him back his money, and was walking out into the courtyard when he called me puta, so I turned and dead-eyed him in the forehead. And of course looted his body. I love this game.

Same. And with the rear end who wanted a white horse, I gave it to him, then immediately shot him off, and have been using it myself for the last 24 real-time gaming hours. :smug:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Tewratomeh posted:

That's actually the best thing, considering who the stranger turns out to be. Also, I'm pretty sure that if you kill a stranger they respawn after a few days of gametime. I killed the pimp in that one mission because, well, he was a scumbag, and the mission reappeared on my map shortly after. Unless the mission specifically calls for you to kill the mission giver, or they die in the normal course of the mission, they usually just respawn later.

I did the same thing, it said I failed but then the next part of the mission with the guy about to cheat on his wife was available when I got to Armadillo or Thieves' Landing or wherever that part takes place. That definitely fit in well with the ending!

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Bloodcider posted:

I don't have this game on me at the moment, but does it support system link? I'm hoping to get my own TV and Xbox in a few months and I wanna play some free roam with my roommate. That'd work, right?

I believe they said it does.

And it feels so good...

Speaking of beating the poo poo outta this game, how come it took so long for me to find cool new gang matches? I was already done with Single Player and Lvl 45 or so before I ever got the Diez Coronas Hold Your Own match which was incredible, and I haven't gotten it again since. Then last night sitting at Lvl 50, we got a Grab The Bag in Twin Rocks all over the hills, which I had never played.

Are there any other gang matches that hardly show up? I wish there was a way to select a game, because the Diez Coronas one was the poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

zoomdog posted:

I did the same thing, it said I failed but then the next part of the mission with the guy about to cheat on his wife was available when I got to Armadillo or Thieves' Landing or wherever that part takes place. That definitely fit in well with the ending!

I'll bet it doesn't affect the outcome, though. Like the guy won't judge your character based on what you do to him, just on how you treat others. Which I guess makes sense, but to treat a stranger like that...

Oh, and (please don't read this if you haven't completed the Strange Man quest. Seriously, don't come whinin' to me if you ruin it for yourself): Someone earlier said that we're supposed to assume the Stranger is "God", but I didn't get that impression at all. If anything, the Stranger is the Devil. I figured that was made pretty clear in the end. He might as well have just opened his first conversation with John like "Please allow me to introduce myself..." That might've been slightly less subtle.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
So I was finishing up the Daedalus and Son stranger mission and after delivering all the feathers, beaver, and sage he needed and waiting the requisite couple days I watch the cutscene and he suffers death by falling like a moron. I'm looking down at his dead body and the remains of his dumb machine. Then I look up, and in the distance, there are two men flying through the air flapping their arms like wings, flying like birds.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Jim Barris posted:

two men flying through the air flapping their arms like wings, flying like birds.

I play this game everyday in hopes that I will see this bug. Still haven't gotten it to happen yet.

I wish Rockstar would put in cheats that would randomize models with entities (cows as chickens, people as birds, bears as birds, etc.)

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
The funniest bug, imo, is when you're playing poker and your opponents all turn into ultra blocky low-res models. It's the ultimate, pokerface.

The Chinese fella at the low-stakes table in Blackwater, especially, looks absolutely hilarious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jim Barris posted:

The Chinese fella at the low-stakes table in Blackwater, especially, looks absolutely hilarious.

That reminded me, has anybody else played the Blackjack in Blackwater? I swear the dealer cheats, since the very first (and only) time I played he got two blackjacks in a row. I didn't bet insurance the first time and lost, and then figured there was no loving way he'd get another blackjack right in a row so I didn't bet insurance and loving lost again.

I was about to kill that bastard but I composed myself and walked on.

Edit: VV Yeah, well, in most cases that's true. But in this case I got burned, and if I recall the other two players both bet insurance. I think they were in on it... bastards.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 21, 2010

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Tewratomeh posted:

That reminded me, has anybody else played the Blackjack in Blackwater? I swear the dealer cheats, since the very first (and only) time I played he got two blackjacks in a row. I didn't bet insurance the first time and lost, and then figured there was no loving way he'd get another blackjack right in a row so I didn't bet insurance and loving lost again.

You should never bet insurance.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Tewratomeh posted:

Edit: VV Yeah, well, in most cases that's true. But in this case I got burned, and if I recall the other two players both bet insurance. I think they were in on it... bastards.

That sort of happened to me, and then I left and blew up the blackjack table with dynamite to begin my $5000 bounty payoff with pardon letter trophy run, which was surprisingly easy :(

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Anyone else messed with the color sliders to get a certain look? Lately I've been playing with Contrast set to 0 and Saturation all the way up. Makes it look technicolor, like a true western :3:

jvempire
May 10, 2009
When I challenged someone to flower picking, some wolves were actually in the area. I had to run back to his camp with a pack of wolves right behind me. He wasn't that much of a sore loser so we murdered all of the wolves, and he got like two rattlesnakes. So the moral of the story is, if you've skipped the flower collecting events because you think it's too "sissy" you aren't a real cowboy. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Will I run into Top Hat Man again? I went to Thieves Landing for him and told his friend to stop fuckin a ho. The quest is still in my journal, but I don't know what to do at this point.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Will I run into Top Hat Man again? I went to Thieves Landing for him and told his friend to stop fuckin a ho. The quest is still in my journal, but I don't know what to do at this point.

He should show up again in Mexico.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think Rockstar should've ditched the tired "Grizzled man looking for the men who wronged him" plot and instead completely focused on the treasure hunting. The game looks great and has some awesome atmosphere, but looking for treasure was the only aspect of the gameplay I actually found to be "fun", instead of just "acceptable way to move the story forward".

I'd love it if someone would make a game that completely focused on treasure hunting and puzzle solving. There would be a huge area explore like in this game, littered with treasure. Some would be easy to find, only demanding that you'd be capable of reading a map, while some treasure maps would have puzzles for you to solve! The possibilities for variations of maps/puzzles are almost limitless.

There'd even be multiplayer, both co-op and PVP. In PVP every player/team would get perhaps three treasure maps, and the first to get all three would win!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

To anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the opening credits sequence from Red Dead Revolver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxEAmWqbVE

Nothing else in the game was quite as amazing as the opening credits, but then it's a hard act to follow. They had Ennio Morricone (or something very, very Morricone-esque) music, the Wild Bunch blood-red freeze frame and even film grain (which they kept up through the whole game). Everything was deeply saturated, too.

Oh, and notice "Annie Stoakes" and her very strong resemblance to a certain character from Redemption. I know they were both loosely based on Annie Oakley, but Ms. Stoakes and Ms. MacFarlane bear more than a passing resemblance, they're almost identical. Nice little nod there to the original.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
So I got my first full posse together today and we started causing a ruckus in El Presidio. Ten minutes in three of us are wanted and what seemed like the entire Mexican army was bearing down on us. Cue two other posses showing up and the whole place was a giant meat grinder. Eventually as things started to calm down I was able to escape with my life intact, however some lone level 50 guy on a bull decided he wanted my blood and chased me across Mexico.

I ran all the way to Escalera and holed up in the mansion. Then it all concluded with him running in and ending us both with a stick of dynamite.

Multiplayer owns. Need goons. PSN: McShurto

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

I wish you could go back and get the tutorial messages again without starting a new game. I got confused because I thought it told me I could bid a higher number of the same die or bid a higher die(i.e. one 1 could be outbid by one 6).

No one else seemed to pick up on this, and me saying this is probably going to open up the Liar's Dice talk again, but you CAN outbid by using a higher die. The example you cited yourself is correct. 1 die showing 1 will be outbid by 1 die showing 2, 1 die showing 2 will be outbid by 1 die showing 3, etc. etc. 1 die showing 6 will be outbid by 2 die showing 1's.

Squirrelomancer
Jan 28, 2009
Just beat the game and loved every minute of it. The cues for the music were absolutely fantastic with 'Far away' and 'Compass'. I still have some smaller missions to go but thats no biggie.

I think I am going to start playing multi add me goons!

PSN: Scroofy

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

To anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the opening credits sequence from Red Dead Revolver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxEAmWqbVE

Nothing else in the game was quite as amazing as the opening credits, but then it's a hard act to follow. They had Ennio Morricone (or something very, very Morricone-esque) music, the Wild Bunch blood-red freeze frame and even film grain (which they kept up through the whole game). Everything was deeply saturated, too.

Oh, and notice "Annie Stoakes" and her very strong resemblance to a certain character from Redemption. I know they were both loosely based on Annie Oakley, but Ms. Stoakes and Ms. MacFarlane bear more than a passing resemblance, they're almost identical. Nice little nod there to the original.

I think only one song was actually by Ennio Morricone (Main Titles from 'E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle' - it plays when you're defending Annie's ranch) The rest are tracks from other spaghetti-westerns by many different composers.

I can't post this enough: http://www.myspace.com/ostofreddead

Revolver had a lot of great set pieces though. Fighting the band of sideshow freaks as Jack Swift, riding on horseback after Diego's armored train, fighting through the ghost town and then confronting the undertaker with the gatling gun in his coffin, defending the train to Brimstone from horseback bandits, the saloon fight, etc.

I really missed these kinds of things from Redemption, since they're trying to build a believable world in this game and the most actiony thing they could really come up with is giving you a mounted gun to mow down some guys on horses now and then.

e: All these parts were made awesome by the music they set to them, too. Redemption only has a few ambient tracks and a few action tracks, and it's pretty disappointing.

e2:

Obsurveyor posted:

Once the count for the number of dice goes up, no amount of down with any sticks or d-pad will lower it for me after changing it to a higher die.

You know, I heard the rules are different in America and Mexico. In real life there's a poo poo-ton of different rule sets for the game. They might actually allow you to lower dice in America but not in Mexico. That's what my roommate said, anyway!

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2010

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ShowTime posted:

No one else seemed to pick up on this, and me saying this is probably going to open up the Liar's Dice talk again, but you CAN outbid by using a higher die. The example you cited yourself is correct. 1 die showing 1 will be outbid by 1 die showing 2, 1 die showing 2 will be outbid by 1 die showing 3, etc. etc. 1 die showing 6 will be outbid by 2 die showing 1's.
Once the count for the number of dice goes up, no amount of down with any sticks or d-pad will lower it for me after changing it to a higher die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't think I can ever shoot a racoon in this game again after seeing this sight in my backyard. :3:

Glad to see we haven't killed off all the wildlife yet (I am in the middle of a city).

• Locked thread