Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Here's the extra 100 Gamerscore from the DLC: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-5509-Red-Dead-Redemption-Updated-to-1100.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's zero-day overload but after downloading the DLC, I can't get into multiplayer at all, it just cycles endlessly through the loading screens.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I was able to get into freeroam just fine, but after finally getting enough people to try some of the co-op missions it hangs on the loading screen. I'm disappointed that you can only play the missions via playlist, though. There is absolutely no way to access them via freeroam. Guess they didn't want you doing them by yourself. Odd, I figured they were going to be glorified gang hideouts.

Also there are character classes with mostly lovely weapons. No idea why they decided to put in character classes for co-op.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Could not join goon Budhisattva no matter what I tried, so finally managed to join for some co-op with pubbies. Got the cattle herding mission and it worked reasonably well, we managed to complete it and gold medal it with nobody dying. Then it went on to one in Tesoro Azul where the enemies never spawned, and then it went on to one in the Gaptooth gold mine where the enemies never spawned.

I don't know if it's Rockstar or XBL or what, but it all seems pretty broken at the moment.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was able to download the DLC from PSN. The store I accessed through the game itself showed absolutely nothing (:confused:), but when I checked the latest things in PSN, there it was in all its glorious redness. Downloaded and installed just fine.

There doesn't seem to be any way to access it yet, though?

I've no idea. I've never downloaded DLC on day one.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 22, 2010

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

I was able to download the DLC from PSN. The store I accessed through the game itself showed absolutely nothing (:confused:), but when I checked the latest things in PSN, there it was in all its glorious redness. Downloaded and installed just fine.

There doesn't seem to be any way to access it yet, though?

I've no idea. I've never downloaded DLC on day one.

Checking now and still not seeing anything. You might have just gotten lucky.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I just downloaded it via loading up the game and then accessing the PSN store through it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Checking now and still not seeing anything. You might have just gotten lucky.

Hmm, interesting. But yeah, it's not showing up in the Installed DLC section from the main menu, maybe it'll pop up when it's actually live.

The DLC seems to be super small though, it was only 15 mb when I got it (unless I've got some freaky "lucky" version of it).

HOLY poo poo I just dropped into multi and GNIAAUURRR and a cougar instantly kicked my rear end holy gently caress

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I have a few questions, hopefully they aren't "spoilers", but I don't think they will be..

1) I was doing a random hunting/flower picking excursion, and I came into a hideout backwards. It was Pike's Basin. According to FAQs, the reward is the Springfield Rifle. None of the Ballards showed up as red dots on my HUD, but they all shot at me. I actually fought my way thru the Basin BACK to the yellow dot rancher who then asked me to help him fight the Ballards to get his herd back. So we rode our horses into the now empty basin, and went right into camp where the cows were in the fenced in area. No message appeared, no honor/fame ++ thing, BUT when I went into town, all of a sudden, I had the Springfield in my inventory....so....when I went back, there was nothing going on. Any ideas if I got credit for that hideout?

2)Is there a "point of no return" in this game? I just completed all the missions available at this point, and it's just the marshall's symbol at Fort Mercer. I just want to finish up some bounties/sidequests/stranger stuff if when I do that mission, I get whisked away to somewhere else and cant' get back to here.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Vertigo posted:

I have a few questions, hopefully they aren't "spoilers", but I don't think they will be..

1) I was doing a random hunting/flower picking excursion, and I came into a hideout backwards. It was Pike's Basin. According to FAQs, the reward is the Springfield Rifle. None of the Ballards showed up as red dots on my HUD, but they all shot at me. I actually fought my way thru the Basin BACK to the yellow dot rancher who then asked me to help him fight the Ballards to get his herd back. So we rode our horses into the now empty basin, and went right into camp where the cows were in the fenced in area. No message appeared, no honor/fame ++ thing, BUT when I went into town, all of a sudden, I had the Springfield in my inventory....so....when I went back, there was nothing going on. Any ideas if I got credit for that hideout?

2)Is there a "point of no return" in this game? I just completed all the missions available at this point, and it's just the marshall's symbol at Fort Mercer. I just want to finish up some bounties/sidequests/stranger stuff if when I do that mission, I get whisked away to somewhere else and cant' get back to here.

There's a point where you'll be locked out of doing side stuff for a few missions, but you can go back and complete everything in the postgame if you are so inclined. And that point is much, much longer into the game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Dr Geek posted:

I just downloaded it via loading up the game and then accessing the PSN store through it.

That does work. Downloading all 15 mb's now.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The DLC seems to be super small though, it was only 15 mb when I got it (unless I've got some freaky "lucky" version of it).

There's no new art assets at all except for some mission voice-overs. All the missions take place in existing locations, so the patch is just some audio files and game type scripts.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I "played" some multiplayer and

uhh

what the gently caress.

Please, people, tell me if your game is behaving normally after downloading the DLC, because I just had the freakiest drat session. I couldn't see the random person I possied up with but he showed up on the radar, and he couldn't see me either. We went to check out Solomon's Folly... and it was deserted. We entered, action music started playing, no enemies popped up and then we just instantly won and got 400 XP for it. Then the guy blew us both up with dynamite, and he ended up permanently stuck in the loading screen that comes up before respawning.

There were also at least like eight other guys on the server, but you couldn't see half of them on the map and :confused:

Pre-patch madness or something? I mean, shouldn't we get a patch to go along the DLC as well?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2010

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I "played" some multiplayer and

uhh

what the gently caress.
Came here to see if this was happening to other people - my housemate just spent half an hour trying to join co-op games and kept encountering invisible buddies. I think they still have some kinks to work out :cool:

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
Is the DLC even more broken than the rest of multiplayer for everyone else?

The river simply refuses to load (just hangs indefinitely until I get bored and quit to dash) and I spent a fair few minutes effectively stuck trying to load the herd (I'd already beaten it earlier fine) because everytime it loaded it failed to load the cows and then claimed all the cows were dead and instantly kicked us to the fail screen. At which point the other 3 people all voted to retry it. Over. And. Over.

Normal multiplayer has been buggy as gently caress for me lately as well including complete lock ups (one of which happened during a loving awesome gatling gun spree in El Presidio with some random other dude where I chewed through about 150 soldiers but of course none of that was saved after it crashed), gang hideouts simply not finishing (no enemies on the map but stuck doing nothing), enemies stuck inside the world geometry and randomly getting disconnected all the time.

It's pretty frustrating how buggy this game is at times but I keep going back to it and the one good stretch of 5 co-op missions I got in earlier were fun as gently caress.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
The first coop mission I tried was in Gaptooth Breach, getting gold from the mine. There were like 30 mine carts in one area all in a pile, and when I tried to push one, my character and the mine cart started spinning wildly in the air and I eventually landed down another path, sideways on the ground, unable to do anything. I really hope they get a patch out soon.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was doing the treasure hunt by Hanging Rock (I only got this a couple of days ago), found the treasure no problem, then this woman came running up begging for a ride, then stole my horse.

I hog-tied that wench, but was wondering if there's a way to turn in these random crooks for cash?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Yea; if you take them to the nearest cliff, untie them and shove them off as they are getting up you can get like $4 or $5 off their dead body.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, sometimes when I'm driving my horse around, I'll see a large bright blue bird (almost a cerulean color) take off from a nearby post/cactus/tree. Is this something special I should try killing immediately, or not?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, sometimes when I'm driving my horse around, I'll see a large bright blue bird (almost a cerulean color) take off from a nearby post/cactus/tree. Is this something special I should try killing immediately, or not?

I wondered the exact same thing for the longest time when I started playing. Then I got lucky enough to catch one midflight and pop into deadeye to shoot it. It's just a songbird and you can kill it for feathers that sell for like $20. Nothing special.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's an achievement for killing one of every species, so shoot anything that looks different.

I couldn't figure out what I had left until I heard the distinctive noise of a seagull at the docks in Blackwater and shot some dot hundreds of feet above me.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also, where the gently caress do I find rabbits?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Capsaicin posted:

Flat grasslands outside of towns.

The best way to do Legend of the West challenges is interspersed with missions. Same with bounties. Doing 4-5 in a row (except for treasure hunts) can be real dull.

Didn't download the DLC yet, waiting til it gets fixed. Plus my xbox is overheating constantly, which sucks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Absolutely EVERYWHERE. The common advice is to simply not look for them, you'll see some real soon.

Wow, I just tried to execute/quick-kill a train driver with a throwing knife, and the game crashed. Gonna try that again.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
When I was looking for beaver, all I found was raccoons. Now that I need raccoons, I can't find the little fucks anywhere.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I tend to see raccoons more at night, are you looking then?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also look around the outskirts of towns. Just like in real life, you can catch them raiding garbage cans and stuff that's been left out.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Also, if you hear a dog barking at night in town, it will probably lead you straight to a raccoon.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Vertigo posted:

I never knew you got the Springfield from Pike's Basic. Maybe that's because on both of my playthroughs, I just bought the Springfield as soon as it was available. I do know you get a shiny new sawed-off from the corpse of the guy behind the wagon at the camp! Anyway, hideouts reset after a bit of time, so if you're worried about getting credit for doing it, just go back and do it again.

leidend posted:

...so shoot anything that looks different.
The American way. :911:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

More real life Red Dead from my province:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/ID=1527384873

I've never seen a grizzly in person but I'm sure glad black bears aren't that aggressive.

Love the guy at the end that said he shouldn't have even fired a warning shot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ShowTime posted:

Also look around the outskirts of towns. Just like in real life, you can catch them raiding garbage cans and stuff that's been left out.

quote:

Also, if you hear a dog barking at night in town, it will probably lead you straight to a raccoon.

poo poo like this why this game is loving amazing.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
Much like others in this thread I have noticed a monumental increase in bugs in multiplayer mode following the patch and DLC. Before the MP patch I never ran into a single oddity, but after the patch the game hangs left and right and I get dropped from matches every other time (or end up left alone when everyone else drops). It is sort of frustrating to have to reboot the console every two games, I must say...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Holy poo poo. All my RDR bro's need to get on right now because this new DLC poo poo is incredibly fun. They aren't just glorified hideouts. The one mission I did involved me and 3 others being besieged inside the Tesoro Azul hideout. We had to prevent them from getting into the fort, then head outside to deal with their defenses. The whole time you are getting shot at by 20+ guys and 2 sets of 6 siege weapons (gatling guns and cannons). I was with 3 pubbies so they were idiots and we failed, so some goons need to get on so we can run the train on these missions.

Basically, this just added a whole new aspect to RDR multiplayer.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

shadok posted:

I don't know if it's zero-day overload but after downloading the DLC, I can't get into multiplayer at all, it just cycles endlessly through the loading screens.

This is happening to me too. It worked this morning :(

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Holy poo poo. All my RDR bro's need to get on right now because this new DLC poo poo is incredibly fun.

Yeah, once you get into a group of four and everyone actually gets logged into the game, the bugs seem to settle down and the missions are good fun. That Tesoro Azul is by far the hardest one and we all died four or five times but we were finally starting to figure out the strategy and on the last attempt we came close enough to get a "consolation prize". Hopefully they will make more of these mission packs, and it would be great if they could make some big enough for 8 players.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

This is happening to me too. It worked this morning :(

Try going into single player first, then use the Multiplayer menu to go to Xbox Live Private, and then from there to Public Mode.

shadok fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2010

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Holy poo poo. All my RDR bro's need to get on right now because this new DLC poo poo is incredibly fun. They aren't just glorified hideouts. The one mission I did involved me and 3 others being besieged inside the Tesoro Azul hideout. We had to prevent them from getting into the fort, then head outside to deal with their defenses. The whole time you are getting shot at by 20+ guys and 2 sets of 6 siege weapons (gatling guns and cannons). I was with 3 pubbies so they were idiots and we failed, so some goons need to get on so we can run the train on these missions.

Basically, this just added a whole new aspect to RDR multiplayer.

My roommate's leaving tomorrow and is going to be out of town for like two weeks, I'm going to be RDR bingin' like a motherfucker.

XBox GT: Rudy Ruddiger

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I joined a buddies multiplayer game. There were no NPC's spawned and you couldn't see anyone else. If you walked up to fort mercer it would auto complete (no NPC's spawning means you got them all!) and give you 400xp. Hit retry, 2 seconds later, complete 400xp! Over and over and over and over

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I joined a buddies multiplayer game. There were no NPC's spawned and you couldn't see anyone else. If you walked up to fort mercer it would auto complete (no NPC's spawning means you got them all!) and give you 400xp. Hit retry, 2 seconds later, complete 400xp! Over and over and over and over

Hello, New Solomon's Folly.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

FateoMcSkippy posted:

This happened to me too, and someone else was in the same session taking advantage of it because I saw constant messages: xxx has entered Tesoro Azul, xxx has left Tesoro Azul, xxx has entered Tesoro Azul, xxx has left Tesoro Azul...

I also noticed that when you get that bug NPCs and horses won't spawn, even when you whistle for your trusty steed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
The tesoro azul co-op mission also just spawned without any enemies. God drat it's hosed.

• Locked thread