Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Jan posted:

Grails sucks, Tortoise sucks

Don't be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
No one talking about the new Alcest album? If you liked Souvenirs d'Un Autre Monde, I don't know how much you'd like this new one as it's definitely in a direction that points more toward Neige's previous offerings or maybe even in a new direction altogether (there's an 8 minute ambient song), but nonetheless, Écailles De Lune is still fantastic. Highlight for me is probably "Solar Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rMO61fcgw0

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Maybeshewill started as a 65dos tribute band, it seemed at the time. Now they sound pretty decent.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

thehustler posted:

Maybeshewill started as a 65dos tribute band, it seemed at the time. Now they sound pretty decent.

Yup, picking up a lot of 65dos. They only have the one EP and the one album, right?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

ICA posted:

Yup, picking up a lot of 65dos. They only have the one EP and the one album, right?

Japanese Spy Transcript EP, and two albums, Not For Want of Trying and Sing The World in Four Part Harmony. They also have a split EP with Her Name Is Calla, but the two songs on that are on their second album.

Might be a single floating around too, not sure.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Nah I think that's everything.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.
Went to a friend's album launch/21st birthday party and on the way up, we picked up an ex-bassist from Maybeshewill. She was pretty cool. She also thinks And So I Watch You From Afar are going to explode and hit big next year. Here's hoping because they are really loving good.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

dk2m posted:

No one talking about the new Alcest album? If you liked Souvenirs d'Un Autre Monde, I don't know how much you'd like this new one as it's definitely in a direction that points more toward Neige's previous offerings or maybe even in a new direction altogether (there's an 8 minute ambient song), but nonetheless, Écailles De Lune is still fantastic. Highlight for me is probably "Solar Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rMO61fcgw0

no gently caress you buddy, you made me think he had come out with a new album already.

It is amazing though, had it on loop for a month straight.

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot

leonje posted:

Went to a friend's album launch/21st birthday party and on the way up, we picked up an ex-bassist from Maybeshewill. She was pretty cool. She also thinks And So I Watch You From Afar are going to explode and hit big next year. Here's hoping because they are really loving good.

I hope you hosed her cuz then your story would actually be good, heh.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I like that song by maybeshewill that has the sample from Network, it's an easy to use sample but it's good. It was strange listening to it the first time though because I'd heard another song that used it like the week before and was confused as hell.

And just chiming in to say the new Souvenirs Young America or whatever their name is is awesome.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Technetium posted:

I like that song by maybeshewill that has the sample from Network, it's an easy to use sample but it's good. It was strange listening to it the first time though because I'd heard another song that used it like the week before and was confused as hell.

And just chiming in to say the new Souvenirs Young America or whatever their name is is awesome.

Not For Want Of Trying. That song actually made me hunt down that movie.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Dude you shoulda come to the Scala show a month or two back that me and lottie went to!

I know right :( In the past month or so she's been to a ridiculous amount of awesome gigs :argh: Going over to visit her at the end of August, willing to bet nothing good will be on.

Non circlejerkey content -

Anyone heard the new EF album? Came out in April but am only just getting around to it now..Longing for Colors is the best track I've heard this year. It gets the male / female vocals dynamic down perfectly. I didn't think their second album was any good, but this thankfully blows it out of the water.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That Network sample is in tons of songs, it's good but annoying after a while.

Great film though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha, I've heard at least 4 or 5 post-rock bands use the Network sample. I pretty much feel the same way. It was cool the first time or two I heard it, but there aren't any other dramatic movies to sample in post-rock tracks?

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, it's like they're running out of ideas or something.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Yeah the first time I'd heard the sample used in a song was in the maybeshewill one so it was still sort of fresh and cool, but if you kept hearing it different songs over and over that would def get annoying.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
If you're a fan of The Album Leaf or The American Dollar check out Metavari
http://www.myspace.com/metavari

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

New Ascent of Everest is loving brilliant.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rhgr posted:

I know right :( In the past month or so she's been to a ridiculous amount of awesome gigs :argh: Going over to visit her at the end of August, willing to bet nothing good will be on.

Non circlejerkey content -

Anyone heard the new EF album? Came out in April but am only just getting around to it now..Longing for Colors is the best track I've heard this year. It gets the male / female vocals dynamic down perfectly. I didn't think their second album was any good, but this thankfully blows it out of the water.

Cool, let me know when/where you guys are going an I'll head down and see you guys if you're hitting up any gigs!

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Which one of you keeps asking Caspian if they've listened to the Mercury Program yet on their Facebook page?

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

Steve Winwood posted:

Which one of you keeps asking Caspian if they've listened to the Mercury Program yet on their Facebook page?

Not me. I hate when people fan every band they listen to. My music section just links to my last.fm. It would be awesome if my 2 favorite post rock bands toured together though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i fanned a lot of bands i listen to because a lot of them tend to update on facebook? why you gotta hate? also I didnt see anyone asking about the mercury program on facebook but the amount you talk about them they must be really something special!!!

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

thehustler posted:

New Ascent of Everest is loving brilliant.

I keep forgetting to listen to this. I've heard nothing but good things.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
té's new album is out (敢えて、理解を望み縺れ尽く音声や文字の枠外での「約束」を or 'the purple one' as I'll be calling it). It's mostly like the first half of the last one, only not so much post-rock, more like LITE.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Godspeed tour.

Manchester Academy - Tuesday 7th December
Glasgow Barrowlands - Wednesday 8th December
Bristol Ansom Rooms - Sunday 12th December
London Troxy - Monday 13th December

They'll probably sell out before we decide whether we're going to their ATP or not.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Junkenstein posted:

Godspeed tour.

Manchester Academy - Tuesday 7th December
Glasgow Barrowlands - Wednesday 8th December
Bristol Ansom Rooms - Sunday 12th December
London Troxy - Monday 13th December

They'll probably sell out before we decide whether we're going to their ATP or not.

uuuuuuuuuuugh, I know if I get a ticket they'll announce an Irish date..and if I wait they'll be sold out and WON'T announce an Irish date.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
BOOM, IM THERE.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
Why does every band that comes to the UK decide to play all around the edges and never anywhere near the middle? The middle is closest to everybody by average, and is also where I live. It's a least a two hour drive to any of those so unless they announce more dates that's another tour I'm missing.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I headed to one of the big record shops in Tokyo yesterday, and there were three ailes of the 2nd floor dedicated to Post Rock & Electronica. In the center of the store. I was surrounded by people buying the Japanese equivalent of Justin Beiber or Linkin Park. It was surreal to say the least.

Also I was reading the blurb about 65DaysOfStatic to see what they said about Sheffield (my hometown). They call it an 'entertainment mecca on a similar level to Las Vegas'. Optimism!

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Zero Trust fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 16, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Godspeed ticket for Manchester ordered.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
e: wow, forgive me, I am a shithead. Wrong thread.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

It's a least a two hour drive to any of those so unless they announce more dates that's another tour I'm missing.
oh, gently caress you. Two hours...

I'm hoping they'll come as close as Toronto, which is 2.5 and an international border away.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
London Godspeed ticket ordered, I can't wait.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
If they don't include Montreal in their american tour dates I'll be pissed. :colbert:

Or they can not include it, and reserve a more intimate, awesome concert for their hometown fans, then I'd forgive them.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jan posted:

If they don't include Montreal in their american tour dates I'll be pissed. :colbert:

Or they can not include it, and reserve a more intimate, awesome concert for their hometown fans, then I'd forgive them.

I think if I got to see them at the Hotel2Tango I would just die on the spot.

However, an Irish date has just been announced and my ticket has been bought. :krad:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
any idea when the American tour will be announced? I have to think they'll come to Chicago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I imagine no one will know until the band announces those dates. I can give you my best guess if you'd like though.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Heads up. The new Gifts From Enola album is streaming here:
https://www.absolutepunk.net/giftsfromenola

you have to sign up for an account though, which sucks, but it's better than waiting til July 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Lord of Sword posted:

té's new album is out (敢えて、理解を望み縺れ尽く音声や文字の枠外での「約束」を or 'the purple one' as I'll be calling it). It's mostly like the first half of the last one, only not so much post-rock, more like LITE.

Where are you finding this? iTunes has got nothing, and it doesn't look like their official site or MySpace has been updated in a while either.

Medical posted:

Heads up. The new Gifts From Enola album is streaming here:
https://www.absolutepunk.net/giftsfromenola

you have to sign up for an account though, which sucks, but it's better than waiting til July 13.

This is awesome, possibly my favorite Gifts from Enola disc to date.