Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Repelex posted:

It seems to me that they're talking about the events that happen after you first encounter Dutch to when John is chasing him up to the cliff
(approaching endgame spoilers)

In my game, as I was chasing him out the opening of the cave as it faded into his death scene, I clearly heard a shot ring out during the fade to black. I assumed that was my character plugging him when you see him briefly there going into the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

This may have been answered already, but I've already had the game spoiled enough thru reading thru this thread, that I'm afraid to go back and check it out again.

Any tips for the hunting challenges involving knifing animals? I got the wolves with no problem, now I'm cougars, and I keep getting beat to poo poo by them. I managed to get one cougar knifed with no problem because it got stuck on a cactus when it was coming at me. The next few have been , literally, murder trying to get another one.

Any tips?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I know you can knife from your horse but I'm not sure if you can hit cougars. Knifing from the horse works really good for bears though.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Policenaut posted:

There's a rooftop in Blackwater that's also pretty good for it, I forget the exact location but it's a building in front of the train station which has only 1 way up so if you get some rear end in a top hat trying to kill you, you can just sit in front of the ladder top with your semi-auto shotgun and blow his brains out.

The best place I found was in Chuparosa, either go to the upper floors of the police station place and jump across to the roof of the church or climb up on the wooden market stalls and jump across to the roof of the saloon. Lawmen can't get up there so they can't flank you and if you go to the centre of the roof it's very difficult for anyone to shoot you so you have a better chance of fighting off attacks from players. The saloon is probably the best place because if a player is trying to get up to you you have more time to shoot them while they are climbing up and about the only other place they can reliably attack from is the balcony of the police station and there is a low wall at your position you can use for cover.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

How do you get to this nowadays? I tried checking mine after I had to buy a new 360 to make sure it was still Open but the Network Test on the Xbox does not seem to show it anymore.

I didn't see this answered, so if you still want to know: Look up your IP address online and enter it in the address bar in a web-browser. Doing so will take you to your router where you can make a couple of changes like changing your NAT setting. Depending on your router it should be a simple option somewhere, otherwise try the instructions in this link: http://www.xbox360forum.com/xbox-forum/threads/51908-How-To-Open-NAT.-xbox-360.

Vertigo posted:

This may have been answered already, but I've already had the game spoiled enough thru reading thru this thread, that I'm afraid to go back and check it out again.

Any tips for the hunting challenges involving knifing animals? I got the wolves with no problem, now I'm cougars, and I keep getting beat to poo poo by them. I managed to get one cougar knifed with no problem because it got stuck on a cactus when it was coming at me. The next few have been , literally, murder trying to get another one.

Any tips?

Double pressing (X) for 360 or square for PS3 while aiming makes you roll to the side. Most animals and especially the bear can't handle strafing, so outflanking them is the key to success.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Remmiz posted:

I know you can knife from your horse but I'm not sure if you can hit cougars. Knifing from the horse works really good for bears though.

You can indeed. I got the two in around ten minutes hanging around Fort Mercer area. Shoot cougar in arse twice with a pistol, cougar runs off, chase down it with a little drive by knifing. Job done.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I wanted to get a posse together tonight with the express purpose of getting the "Hit the trail" achievment tonight, i just figure anyonbe whos been having trouble with this we could just have a large gang of ruffians to defend each other from random attacks.

GT: Slayer15977

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 25, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Vertigo posted:

Any tips?

Remember that your lasso stuns any think that isn't, er - lassoable. For example, if you lasso a bear it gets locked into a get-that-loving-poo poo-off-of-me animation and it's unable to move or attack for a few seconds. Also remember that you can roll while locked onto a target with your knife too.

I find it more fun to do this way instead of wounding it with a firearm first, but then again I'm a loving dork and I plan to replay the game without using the minimap.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Slayer1597 posted:

I wanted to get a posse together tonight with the express purpose of getting the "Hit the trail" achievment tonight, i just figure anyonbe whos been having trouble with this we could just have a large gang of ruffians to defend each other from random attacks.

"Hit the trail" is really really easy. 24 hours is twice as much time as you need to make the trip, and even on a full server you probably won't even see anybody else along the way.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Smoke604 posted:

You can indeed. I got the two in around ten minutes hanging around Fort Mercer area. Shoot cougar in arse twice with a pistol, cougar runs off, chase down it with a little drive by knifing. Job done.

Repeater Carbine works well for this too. One shot (not in the head) puts the cougar into retreat mode, then you can run up and stab it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I was looking for beavers in northen West Elizabeth today when I saw a train pass right by me. I thought I might ditch the beavers and get the "Kill 5 birds from a moving train" challenge instead since I was too lazy to chase down the train in Mexico. Well, I get on the train and start shooting birds for about 10 minutes and jump off in Blackwater to see that only one bird was registered as Killed.

I must have shot about 30 birds during the trip. Anyone know what the hell I might have done wrong? All birds were flying and the train was moving.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

fennesz posted:

I find it more fun to do this way instead of wounding it with a firearm first, but then again I'm a loving dork and I plan to replay the game without using the minimap.

I really wish that the mini map wasnt so necessary for the story. I tried to play the game with it off to begin with but I always ended up losing a target or failing a mission because I didnt know where to go right away.

bruno jarbridge
Jan 10, 2005
Getting loopy on a Friday evening lookin' to play some RDR. Doesn't matter what I'm down for whatever.
gt: bruno jarbridge

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Finally did that stabbin' the cougar challenge. So I go to try for the sharpshooter "Kill three bears with one shot" challenge, mosey on upto Tall Trees and drat it if not one bastard bear came by for two whole in game days of hunting (sunrise to sunset). Finally of course when I copped one I got mobbed but by the time I got myself back to Blackwater I made like $2,000 selling meat, mostly boar. I can't help but laugh when I get hit by a boar, it's just funny as poo poo. It's how they move I think. They can be tough little fuckers too, I've seen one take two shots from a buffalo rifle before now. Cougars and Bears just plain make me jump, I think Cougars should be worse cause of how they snarl as they hit you but Bears are equally bad.

You know a small thing in this game that I like, there are thousands of course but this one I noticed just now. When you go into a store or bar or whatever, the guy behind the counter isn't always there. I went into a General Store earlier to sell the above mentioned meat and not a soul in sight. Then the back door of the shop opened and in walks the shopkeeper to the till greeting me and apologizing. Just a small thing but so realistic as opposed to a character that never ever leaves from behind the till. Then when the stores shut they hit the saloon and you can play against them. I loved this when I noticed it.

What are all of your favorite little touches in the game?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

El Seano posted:

How gunshots have a little *crack* at the end of them. I never noticed it until I hooked my 360 up to some different speakers, very surprising B)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like how John has a tenuous grasp at best of spanish but he tries to speak it anyway while in Mexico. My favorite one was when I walked into a store and he said "Hola! Buenos....hola!"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like how John has a tenuous grasp at best of spanish but he tries to speak it anyway while in Mexico. My favorite one was when I walked into a store and he said "Hola! Buenos....hola!"
YOU are ALL... MUERTO!

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

I've mentioned it before, and I've only seen it twice now but goddamn I love it when enemies kind of sink to their knees and keep firing at you after you've hit them. I think it's random but when it happens it's cool as all get out.

And I like being able to tip my hat to people when I pass them.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Just spent about an hour looking for beavers. Oi.

a sad model
Jun 25, 2010

Pandanaut posted:

They were ridiculously hard to find, for me.

Especially the area I was hunting in, I'd get about one beaver out of every 5 million wolves that would attack.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pandanaut posted:

You know those maps online that say to check the north shore of West Elizabeth and the east side of the river up there? They're loving full of poo poo. Go to Bearclaw camp. It's full of beavers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A friend of mine have been going back and forth on the merits of how good of a game RDR is. The results of that conversation are irrelevant, but it did lead to this:

Me: I just finished RDR last night.

Him: So what'd you think in the end?

Me: I really liked it. Mexico slagged a bit, but it picked up after that.

Him: Yeah it was really good. Did you play any of the epilogue?

Me: Yeah it was fun as hell being Jack and getting revenge for your father's death!

Him: ........huh? Jack? Uh...what?

Me: .....you know...after the end. Um.

Him: There was more? I just got tired of being a rancher and thought that was it. I take it you die.

Me: Awww man no dude you got more missions to do. poo poo, sorry.

Him: oh well...

Hated to spoil that for him, but drat.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Endgame spoilers: So wait, after John dies and unlocking Jack, there's more missions? I have the game in a rental envelope ready to go back to the rental company but I'd happily play some missions to find out why the Feds shot John up. Are they Stranger missions or do they show up on the map as letters after a while?

a sad model
Jun 25, 2010

7seven7 posted:

Endgame spoilers: So wait, after John dies and unlocking Jack, there's more missions? I have the game in a rental envelope ready to go back to the rental company but I'd happily play some missions to find out why the Feds shot John up. Are they Stranger missions or do they show up on the map as letters after a while?

One stranger mission. Go to Blackwater by the train station.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Carbohydrates posted:

YOU are ALL... MUERTO!

REMEMBER mi NOME-BRAY!

Gets me every single time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

El Seano posted:

The haziness created by the heat when viewing long distances. If you haven't been up on the ridge (where the railroad goes into Hennigan's Stead) looking over Diez Coronas, go loving do it right now.

Also, the button dedicated to tipping your hat.

a sad model posted:

One stranger mission. Go to Blackwater by the train station.

You will not regret it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

REMEMBER mi NOME-BRAY!

Gets me every single time.

"YO SOY JOHN MARSTON" killed me when I first heard it. No hint of accent, just gruff English.

Also, for the umpteenth time, my Gamertag is HOTDOGDAY12

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Hated to spoil that for him, but drat.

Well, your friend is kind of an idiot and deserved it. Who just assumes they've beaten a game when there's still plot missions available?

Wild Bill Hiccup
Mar 27, 2010
I've heard there's some item you get by having maximum Honor. I've had Hero honor for like half the game so far and I still haven't seen the person who gives you some item...what is the item and what's it do?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Whoever doesn't like Free Roam is an idiot.

I had a guy randomly spawn near me after completing Pike's Basin, and in a show of good faith I put my gun away. He proceeds to point his at me, so I immediately take out the Bolt Action and put one in his forehead. Then he chases me out of Pike's Basin and I take him down a few more times, then I hole up at The Hanging Rock, and get him a few more times. Eventually I'm on like a 12 kill streak.

He chases me up the railroad tracks and I go across the trestle into the dark dark cave and fire back. I take him down a few times with the Carcano, until finally he gets a good run and he's on his horse hauling rear end across the trestle right towards me. I'm firing away with my Bolt Action but not killing him, finally two shots to his horse and it goes face first into the railroad tracks, the guy tumbles off and takes a bad bounce then falls 200 feet off the bridge to the rocks below.

It was loving amazing that a game can be this cinematic just screwing around.

After that we had an incredible gunfight under the wooden framework of the trestle bridge, and a few more chases which he got the upperhand a few times, I'm sure he felt good about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mylan posted:

Well, your friend is kind of an idiot and deserved it. Who just assumes they've beaten a game when there's still plot missions available?

True. I never assume a game is over until the credits have rolled.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Is there any downside to selling the bars of gold you get when you complete a treasure hunter challenge?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Discomedusae posted:

I've mentioned it before, and I've only seen it twice now but goddamn I love it when enemies kind of sink to their knees and keep firing at you after you've hit them. I think it's random but when it happens it's cool as all get out.

At one point a guy did that to me but with his dying shot, he killed my horse. I shot his body a lot.

a sad model
Jun 25, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Is there any downside to selling the bars of gold you get when you complete a treasure hunter challenge?

I sold all mine, but kept the most expensive bar for myself. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they want it :3:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dan Didio posted:

No, just don't do it at Thieves' Landing, you'll get less.

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

I've heard there's some item you get by having maximum Honor. I've had Hero honor for like half the game so far and I still haven't seen the person who gives you some item...what is the item and what's it do?

Some beads that lower the chance of you getting hit by bullets. It's a random encounter, just like anything else. I got them pretty late in the game, after most things were done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Some beads that lower the chance of you getting hit by bullets. It's a random encounter, just like anything else. I got them pretty late in the game, after most things were done.

And I got them right near the very beginning of the game. YMMV.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Goddamn, right after I go and sell the first three at Thieves Landing and all.

Oh well, thanks.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Am I doing something wrong? When I connect for multiplayer, I don't see anyone. Anywhere. PS3, for whatever it matters.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

What a Judas posted:

Am I doing something wrong? When I connect for multiplayer, I don't see anyone. Anywhere. PS3, for whatever it matters.
Similar thing happened to me and a friend on the 360.

Loaded up a co-op match and I couldn't see my friend but I could see one other guy. No enemies spawned. We quit and restarted a new match and it was fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

doctor 7 posted:

Similar thing happened to me and a friend on the 360.

Loaded up a co-op match and I couldn't see my friend but I could see one other guy. No enemies spawned. We quit and restarted a new match and it was fixed.

I've tried several times. I'm not trying to meet up with anyone specific, I'm just not seeing anyone at all in Free Roam (or any of the other game modes I've tried).

• Locked thread