Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa
Mista_T, you must have sustained brain damage at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mista _T
Nov 11, 2000

Mix it with Curly and Larry and Moe, WOOP-WOOP WOOP-WOOP WOOP hey, YO!

Parantumaton posted:

Mista_T, you must have sustained brain damage at some point.

But probably not enough to make a language built around significant whitespace, and for that, I'm thankful.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that only in the COC could anybody derail a thread about CURLY BRACES.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mista _T posted:

code:
if (blah) {
    dosomestuff();
    dosomemorestuff();
}
Ugh. It's like the braces were an afterthought in the last style and the guy who wrote the code was only comfortable in BASIC and had to put up with braced blocks in C.
The guys who popularized that style are the guys that created/popularized C.

Mista _T
Nov 11, 2000

Mustach posted:

The guys who popularized that style are the guys that created/popularized C.

It still doesn't mean that it doesn't look like rear end.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Just giving you an FYI.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mista _T posted:

The start and end are easily found while reading the code.

it is a good thing that questions of style and taste in language are down to cold hard facts.

See if we used whitespace s-expressions xml none of this would be a problem oh gently caress it
for fucks sake gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Mista _T
Nov 11, 2000

Oh god, tef! He's going into convulsions! Call an ambulance! Someone call a loving ambulance! DON'T YOU DIE ON ME YOU BASTARD

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Mista _T posted:

The only brace style that really irks me is the "left on same line as opening block, right not indented with code."

code:
if (blah) {
    dosomestuff();
    dosomemorestuff();
}
That's my preferred brace style, and yours somehow manages to be worse than Horstmann. :colbert:

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Mista _T posted:

I picked up the style, and I found it to be the most readable. The start and end are easily found while reading the code.

How the hell ist that abortion more readable than going straight down to find the point the block ends?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

BigRedDot posted:

That's my preferred brace style, and yours somehow manages to be worse than Horstmann. :colbert:

One true style right here.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
Post screenshots of stuff you're working on!

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa
FYI, brace discussion continues at glorious YOSPOS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3321214

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
The work on this project has consumed much of my life and I have no time for side projects anymore. Since it debuted at NCTA, I think it should be kosher to display a screen capture.

Edit: I apparently have to redact that. Despite being show to the public / press / other vendors at NCTA I still can't show it. gently caress this industry. Apparently, you would think I work in a matter of national security.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 28, 2010

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Please tell me you're developing a fluid interface. I have a brand-spanking new digital cable box with DVR and HD, and the interface is to sluggish to change channels and to get the programs schedule that I want to throw my remote at it.

Seriously, you put in a loving powerful processor to decode HD video and decrypt all that data, but you make an interface straight out of 1997 with no picture-in-picture, program preview or more than 140 characters in the show description? loving shame on you, Cablecom.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Sir Davey posted:

Please tell me you're developing a fluid interface. I have a brand-spanking new digital cable box with DVR and HD, and the interface is to sluggish to change channels and to get the programs schedule that I want to throw my remote at it.

Seriously, you put in a loving powerful processor to decode HD video and decrypt all that data, but you make an interface straight out of 1997 with no picture-in-picture, program preview or more than 140 characters in the show description? loving shame on you, Cablecom.

Maybe. :smith: I will say it is an improvement over older interfaces.

HFX fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 27, 2010

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mista _T posted:

But probably not enough to make a language built around significant whitespace, and for that, I'm thankful.

Is that a jib(ba jabba) at Python? :colbert: We need to have a little talk.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

I rolled my own heightmap-specific terrain mesh simplification algorithm.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Contero posted:

I rolled my own heightmap-specific terrain mesh simplification algorithm.

But I think the real question here is what brace style did you use???

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Sir Davey posted:

Omg this. I've been saying this for a while now. Everyone does this. 1080p capable hardware but the most horribly designed, slowest loving UI on the planet. It's ridiculous. I figured with the release of the Wii we'd start seeing pointer-driven interfaces for TV stuff. Hasn't happened yet but I still expect it to. Just imagine how bad the interfaces will be then!

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Omg this. I've been saying this for a while now. Everyone does this. 1080p capable hardware but the most horribly designed, slowest loving UI on the planet. It's ridiculous. I figured with the release of the Wii we'd start seeing pointer-driven interfaces for TV stuff. Hasn't happened yet but I still expect it to. Just imagine how bad the interfaces will be then!

Good luck with that. I could write a thesis on why you won't see this happen, but once again I'd open myself up to termination and litigation. I really need to find a new job.

See my above redacted post.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Babbies first software renderer, uses GDI, a DIB section. It also has a really basic quake style console, and can load, draw, and scale bitmaps, which it uses for text drawing.

It can't fill triangles yet though or load models, so I've just been copy pasting the model verticies / indicies. :(

slovach fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 28, 2010

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

HFX posted:

Good luck with that. I could write a thesis on why you won't see this happen, but once again I'd open myself up to termination and litigation. I really need to find a new job.

Can you talk about what some of the limitations to making a snappy UI on those set top boxes are? Every single one I have used has been pretty slow and clunky, except for the TiVo one, but that was back in standard def days. Haven't used their HD stuff.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

HFX posted:

Really? So is it because of Nintendo patents or internal industry politics and other assorted bullshit? Seems like a company could come in and make a sweet rear end set top box UI and just sweep the industry, much like Apple did with the iPhone. Do the box manufacturers have close ties with the networks or something? Heh can you even answer any of that?

slovach posted:

It can't fill triangles yet though or load models, so I've just been copy pasting the model verticies / indicies. :(

Hey that's cool man, you gotta start somewhere! No sense in writing a model loader for untested rendering code :).

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Really? So is it because of Nintendo patents or internal industry politics and other assorted bullshit? Seems like a company could come in and make a sweet rear end set top box UI and just sweep the industry, much like Apple did with the iPhone. Do the box manufacturers have close ties with the networks or something? Heh can you even answer any of that?

Well, if you count HTPC boxes as STBs, then Microsoft did it back in 2003 with their Media Center system, which has always been smooth and fluid (in particular I prefer MCE2005 to Vista/7's WMC UI, largely the colour scheme: Blue+Green works better than Blue+Aqua).

I assume Microsoft already did this in "pure" STBs with their Mediaroom platform (the new name for MicrosoftTV), so far only a few STB manufacturers have actually implemented it (BT being one of them, for BTVision). I base this on how Mediaroom uses the same UI artwork as WMC. There's a video of it with the BT Vision skin on YouTube.

IRT your question: I understand that companies more concerned with immediate sales and profiteering (and pleasing non-technical execs who never actually use the product) would focus more on features and bullet-points that look good on paper. You can't put "smooth and functional, fluid low-latency UI" on the front of a TV or STB box, the only thing you could put is "SomeStupidTrademarkedName UI!" which is only the case with gimmicky UIs that are in many ways worse than what you'd expect (a la HTC's Windows Mobile alternative home-screens). It's just a matter of bosses deciding to spend developer resources on things deemed more important than UI latency. Patents don't come into this, I think he's just afraid of having to bad-mouth his bosses on a public forum.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hoborg posted:

Well, if you count HTPC boxes as STBs, then Microsoft did it back in 2003 with their Media Center system, which has always been smooth and fluid (in particular I prefer MCE2005 to Vista/7's WMC UI, largely the colour scheme: Blue+Green works better than Blue+Aqua).

I assume Microsoft already did this in "pure" STBs with their Mediaroom platform (the new name for MicrosoftTV), so far only a few STB manufacturers have actually implemented it (BT being one of them, for BTVision). I base this on how Mediaroom uses the same UI artwork as WMC. There's a video of it with the BT Vision skin on YouTube.

IRT your question: I understand that companies more concerned with immediate sales and profiteering (and pleasing non-technical execs who never actually use the product) would focus more on features and bullet-points that look good on paper. You can't put "smooth and functional, fluid low-latency UI" on the front of a TV or STB box, the only thing you could put is "SomeStupidTrademarkedName UI!" which is only the case with gimmicky UIs that are in many ways worse than what you'd expect (a la HTC's Windows Mobile alternative home-screens). It's just a matter of bosses deciding to spend developer resources on things deemed more important than UI latency. Patents don't come into this, I think he's just afraid of having to bad-mouth his bosses on a public forum.

Actually, it is exactly because our NDA's are so draconian. I'm not supposed to talk to anyone out side of a team about what I do or don't do apparently.

For a more general question, a lot of it has to deal with immediate customers, cost, and general corporate politics / patents / copyrights.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 28, 2010

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

HFX posted:

Actually, it is exactly because our NDA's are so draconian. I'm not supposed to talk to anyone out side of a team about what I do or don't do apparently.

For a more general question, a lot of it has to deal with immediate customers, cost, and general corporate politics / patents / copyrights.

So... can you say why the interfaces are so slow...?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Sweeper posted:

So... can you say why the interfaces are so slow...?

Some of it. You were comparing a HTPC to a STB. Think of the HTPC as a Veyron and your STB as a baseline Toyota Tercel with a booming stereo.

HFX fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 29, 2010

Pakkanen
Nov 16, 2007

Slapped this together over the weekend. Quite buggy, no sprites, no sound, etc.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
STBs live in a highly corporate environment, where engineering is under 10 layers of management and corporate politics. Stuff engineers and users care about is no ones concern.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Rapsey posted:

STBs live in a highly corporate environment, where engineering is under 10 layers of management and corporate politics. Stuff engineers and users care about is no ones concern.

Spoken like someone in the business.

Anyway: http://www.multichannel.com/article/366828-Cable_Tec_Expo_2009_Cisco_Debuts_Blue_IPTV_Guide_For_Cable.php

I found a released article in the press. Therefore I link it to you guys.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Parantumaton posted:

FYI, brace discussion continues at glorious YOSPOS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3321214

It's the cool kids brace discussion okay. :shobon:

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Pakkanen posted:

Slapped this together over the weekend. Quite buggy, no sprites, no sound, etc.

How can you "slap this together" over a weekend?!

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Here's a fun little augmented reality project I've been working on for a magazine.
http://vimeo.com/12729274
Made in Flash

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I guess it involves getting a manual that explains all of the z80's opcodes and reimplementing them in software. Not that I've ever done that before.

Pakkanen
Nov 16, 2007

Fruit Smoothies posted:

:smugdog:

rt4 posted:

I guess it involves getting a manual that explains all of the z80's opcodes and reimplementing them in software.

Exactly.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

ChirreD posted:

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Here's a fun little augmented reality project I've been working on for a magazine.
http://vimeo.com/12729274
Made in Flash

Awesome. I love AR so much. I really need to get with the program and start putting together some AR demos. Got any good resources to get me started?

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Pfhreak posted:

Awesome. I love AR so much. I really need to get with the program and start putting together some AR demos. Got any good resources to get me started?

I have more AR stuff I made if you like to see.

You can fly a RC chopper here:
http://www.vurigmedia.nl/experimental/ar
Or see a project where you control a camera with a marker:
http://www.vimeo.com/12670660

For resources, you can use FLARToolkit to get started
http://www.libspark.org/wiki/saqoosha/FLARToolKit/en

But on top of that there's FLARManager (only flash 10 I believe), with a very nice tutorial here (recommended)
http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play.php?id=114

Good luck!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Not that it isn't loving impressive (I need to learn to implement VMs) but I think a lot of the time that goes into an emulator isn't emulating the main processor but rather all the edge cases that games use to squeeze performance out of the hardware.

So getting a couple games to run is doable in a weekend, but getting everything to run well takes months - the classic 80/20 situation.

Then again the original game boy could be a huge pain in the rear end to emulate and I'm just talking out of my rear end :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Not that it isn't loving impressive (I need to learn to implement VMs) but I think a lot of the time that goes into an emulator isn't emulating the main processor but rather all the edge cases that games use to squeeze performance out of the hardware.

So getting a couple games to run is doable in a weekend, but getting everything to run well takes months - the classic 80/20 situation.

Then again the original game boy could be a huge pain in the rear end to emulate and I'm just talking out of my rear end :)

I don't imagine it's too hard to emulate the original gameboy completely in software from the specification, resulting in a usable speed when run on a modern computer. I believe the hard part in coding an emulator comes from trying to have the emulator run fast enough to be usable when the host system is not much more powerful than the system being emulated, or trying to emulate hardware which is much more complex than an original gameboy.

Of course, I too might be talking out my rear end, and I'd be pretty impressed if I could make such an emulator, so I'm not trying to take anything away from Pakkanen's accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think some of the real difficulty in compatibility is emulating undocumented behavior of opcodes and also finding documentation for weird stuff like the things that control the audio.