Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Goddamn, right after I go and sell the first three at Thieves Landing and all.

Oh well, thanks.

Gold isn't special.
If you have high Honor you get 50% more when selling to most shops (but not Thieves Landing).
If you have low Honor you get 50% more when selling at Thieves Landing (but nowhere else).
This applies to all items, so sell at the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dan Didio posted:

Goddamn, right after I go and sell the first three at Thieves Landing and all.

Oh well, thanks.

It actually depends on your Honor, apparently. If you have a high honor you get a better deal everywhere other than Thieves Landing, where they don't like your goody two shoes ways. If you have a low Honor you get the better deals at Thieves Landing

e: Badgers :argh:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

El Seano posted:

What are all of your favorite little touches in the game?

Shooting stars in the night sky.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Hal Gill username posted:

It actually depends on your Honor, apparently. If you have a high honor you get a better deal everywhere other than Thieves Landing, where they don't like your goody two shoes ways. If you have a low Honor you get the better deals at Thieves Landing

e: Badgers :argh:

There should have been another 'scummy' town in Mexico, like Agua Caliente from For a Few Dollars More.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So, after spending hours searching for beavers last night I got on today.

Right as my character got up from his spawn point, guess what? Five beavers.

gently caress this game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got the "more than a fistful" achievement just for doing part of the Aztec Gold mission. Is that supposed to happen? I only had about $1,000 cash on me.

Can't tell if I actually got to keep the gold since it mixed in with my treasure hunter gold if so.

a sad model
Jun 25, 2010

leidend posted:

I got the "more than a fistful" achievement just for doing part of the Aztec Gold mission. Is that supposed to happen? I only had about $1,000 cash on me.

It's just about collecting 10k over the course of the game, whether you spend it or not.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
I just accidentally saved over my pre-endgame save :(

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I'll assume since nobody found a way to check which co-op missions you have gold on that there is no way. That's pretty annoying considering the last trophies I need to get my first Platinum are the get gold on all co-op missions and reach level 50 ones.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
For the life of me, I can't get Gordo the Boar to spawn in singleplayer. Argh.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Are Goons still doing multiplayer on the 360? I'm thinking about hitting some of the co-op missions but right now I'm just leveling up and going about it that way. Name's ZBU, I should be on tonight.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Argali posted:

For the life of me, I can't get Gordo the Boar to spawn in singleplayer. Argh.

Sort of along those lines, I found Khan the legendary jaguar to be kind of a disappointment, danger-wise. No worse than a regular cougar.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Are Goons still doing multiplayer on the 360? I'm thinking about hitting some of the co-op missions but right now I'm just leveling up and going about it that way. Name's ZBU, I should be on tonight.

I mostly do Gang Shootouts and last I tried, it's still not working.

Although if anyone is ever doing co-op, (Hardcore)Gang Shootouts or a little bit of Free Roam send me an invite.

gt: fennesz

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
THEN COLLECT 2 MORE OF EVERY OTHER HERB AVAILABLE! :argh:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

midge posted:

THEN COLLECT 2 MORE OF EVERY OTHER HERB AVAILABLE! :argh:
remember to select the challenge in your journal and press Y to see what you've done and what you still need to do!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's not that bad. Just use a survivalist map and go in any order you want. You don't need to get the 10 violet snowdrops first. Also, hitting down on the d-pad zooms out the mini-map and makes the nearby herbs appear sooner as opposed to you having to get right up on them before the icons pop up.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 27, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not much into player vs player deathmatches, but the free roam and co-op gang hideout stuff is so much fun. This is the first PS3 game so far I've enjoyed playing online, despite running into a few assholes.

I went to help one guy clear out Solomon's Folley and afterwards he invited me to his posse and I accepted. He then promptly shot and killed my horse and knifed the poo poo out of me. I left his posse but he kept spamming posse invites as I went my own way, so I turned and took a few potshots at him from afar and took off. He then followed me and started shooting at me so I shotgunned him in the face and stole his horse and made him ragequit. :smug:

It's just too bad that most of the free roams I enter are drat near empty with only two or three guys in them. And they always want to do deathmatches which I hate because I can't manual aim worth poo poo. :( I want to try out the new co-op stuff but I guess I should get a headset first.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
It's best not to play the deathmatches, because they are very glitched. For example, my friend playing the Xbox 360 version was invisible to the enemy, so he could shoot them without any trouble. We later found out this is a popular glitch that randomly happens to players, making DM pretty dumb.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

jvempire posted:

It's best not to play the deathmatches, because they are very glitched. For example, my friend playing the Xbox 360 version was invisible to the enemy, so he could shoot them without any trouble. We later found out this is a popular glitch that randomly happens to players, making DM pretty dumb.

It rarely happened post-patch, pre-DLC though. Now, I can't even get into any other playlists.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It takes hours for mento get into free roam and I've never successfully gotten into a shootout or quick match since day 1 the game came out. Is this normal? I have ports open correctly

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Vile posted:

It takes hours for mento get into free roam and I've never successfully gotten into a shootout or quick match since day 1 the game came out. Is this normal? I have ports open correctly

I don't think I've ever gotten into a MP group without joining a friend in session or being invited, game always puts me into an infinite loading screen, even with the game installed poo poo takes forever for me.

Co-op was fun except for the raft one where 2 teammates immediately spawned in deep water and died. Later 3 of us died and the other was on the wrong side of the river due to lovely spawns/glitching and had to ride all the way around to the bridge so we ended up getting silver on that one.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hal Gill username posted:

Sort of along those lines, I found Khan the legendary jaguar to be kind of a disappointment, danger-wise. No worse than a regular cougar.

Actually, he's even easier. He appears on your map way ahead of time, giving you plenty of time to get into positon and Dead-eye him in the head 12 times with the Henry Repeater. Most normal cougars just jump at you from behind when you're not paying attention or picking herbs.

Also, yes MP is extremely broken for me and has seemed impossible to play after the patch.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Actually, he's even easier. He appears on your map way ahead of time, giving you plenty of time to get into positon and Dead-eye him in the head 12 times with the Henry Repeater. Most normal cougars just jump at you from behind when you're not paying attention or picking herbs.

Hell, all the legendary animals were a bit of a pushover compared to their normal counterparts. Lobo isn't as dangerous as a normal wolf because they always run in packs. Brumas wasn't dangerous because he isn't subject to The Law of Exponential Bears that normal grizzlies follow. Gordo and Khan you can both see before they charge or gently caress you from behind.

I will say though, that this game has taught me how to show proper respect for cougars, bears, and rattlesnakes because they will gently caress your poo poo up.

All in all though, one of the best games I've ever played, and the first Rockstar title I've bothered to 100%. Just fantastic all around. It's a shame the MP is so broken at the moment, I would've liked to jump in to it now that the single player campaign is done.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was in Mexico and happened across a Stranger featuring a man beating a girl. I stopped him and he demanded $200 to let her go. So I shot him. Then it told me I 'failed'. Huh?

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.

The Lone Badger posted:

I was in Mexico and happened across a Stranger featuring a man beating a girl. I stopped him and he demanded $200 to let her go. So I shot him. Then it told me I 'failed'. Huh?

It's one of the stranger missions you have to pay him the $200

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mikeh269 posted:

It's one of the stranger missions you have to pay him the $200

I just don't understand why Marsten would pay $200 when bullets cost less than 50c. I've killed better men over reasons a lot more trivial.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress.

I unlocked the army uniform today, and then suddenly all the bounty locations on the map went away.

I am not looking for anyone right now, I haven't accepted a bounty, and I have finished the last bounty I was looking for, but son of a bitch those loving bounty locations are gone.

They aren't even on the outside of the buildings where they should be.

If I have to restart or use an old save, I am gonna be pissed. I JUST loving won a game of horseshoes right before this poo poo happened.

The really annoying part was actually beating the sharpshooter level 10 challenge, dying, and then finding out "OH gently caress HAHAHAAH NO YOU DUMB poo poo YOU GOTTA DISARM 6 PEOPLE WITH THE SAME GUN AGAIN, AND gently caress YOUR INVENTORY CAUSE ALL THEM BULLETS YA USED?!?! HAHAHA loving GONE DUDE!"

:argh: drat YOU RDR!!!

I really don't think I can 100% this game. I have some kinda mental block against five finger fillet. I can get like 90% of the code working and then I stab myself in the hand like a spastic bastard.

Edit - just cause it makes me feel :smug:
Biggest fall survived with horse 255.76 ft.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 27, 2010

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dr Geek posted:

I'll assume since nobody found a way to check which co-op missions you have gold on that there is no way. That's pretty annoying considering the last trophies I need to get my first Platinum are the get gold on all co-op missions and reach level 50 ones.

DLC trophies don't count toward platinum in any game.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Oh really? That's awesome. I still want to get all the Golds tho, I think I only have one left now.

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm getting tired of playing with pubbies? How do I add/search for metatags? Or are there no goons playing?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I really don't think I can 100% this game. I have some kinda mental block against five finger fillet. I can get like 90% of the code working and then I stab myself in the hand like a spastic bastard.

Just don't look at the screen. The pattern is always the same and its much easier if you look at the controller while you do it. Looking at the screen messes me up but if I look at the controller I can do it in turbo mode.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi I'm on live now and would like to free roam / coop / anything. Gamertag : j0hn mccaln

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
I just got this game this week and I'm love it, but I just attacked Fort Mercer. How far am I in the game? And when will I get a new revolver? I'm still using the Colt SAA that I got early in the game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhh my god I've never been so bored by a game in my life.

I dunno if it's the old west setting, the clunky controls, or the fact that the game starts off as slow as any game ever possibly could. But good god drat. How long does this fuckin' thing take to get moving at a reasonable pace? I've mostly been dicking around since god only knows where missions are. Done all the stuff I can do in Armadillo for now, so the only thing is Bonnie's poo poo, and herding may be the most tedious, awful thing in any game ever. I thought the regular, small herd was bad. Then we hit the big group of cows and my desire to play completely fell out. It doesn't matter that it's easy, it's loving boring.

I really do want to like the game. The voice acting's great, the story seems like it has legs, and I enjoy the combat. But anything that doesn't involve one of those things can just suck a dick.

Am I stuck doing bland-rear end farm work until more story stuff opens in Armadillo? Should I just ride around messing with the yahoos in the country? Become an outlaw? Anything to spice things up. I rented the game, and that was a good move on my part, because this definitely isn't my type of thing. There's a good game under all this junk, I guess it's just pushing through all that junk to reach it's the problem. What kind timeframe here, goons? At what point do things really pick up the pace and get moving?

Edit: Add 'gently caress hostage missions' to this. Seriously, what the hell. Yeah, this is a great mechanic. One hostage dies, you start over. I guess I save my bullet time for the one holding a gun to the lady's head. But given you lower your gun when you open the door, that gives you a very short time frame to raise, click, aim, and shoot.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 27, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

^^^ Do all of Bonnie's missions first. They are the "tutorial" missions. Plus, you get the lasso from her, which is awesome. If you haven't done very many of her missions, then you are maybe like 1% of the way through the game.

Ace Oliveira posted:

I just got this game this week and I'm love it, but I just attacked Fort Mercer. How far am I in the game? And when will I get a new revolver? I'm still using the Colt SAA that I got early in the game.
Maybe a third of the way through the game. Make sure you do a lot of the Stranger Missions and Challenges. :)

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 27, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ChibiSoma posted:

:words:

You pretty much just do one or two more missions for Bonnie before that's all over, and after the final Bonnie mission you can hogtie anybody and drag them behind your horse, or tie them up and slit their throats or...

...seriously there's a bunch of poo poo to do in this game after it opens up (which is soon, it sounds like). If you're still bored after doing the early farmhand missions and start doing actual Wild West Outlaw poo poo, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

ChibiSoma posted:

Ohhh my god I've never been so bored by a game in my life.

I dunno if it's the old west setting, the clunky controls, or the fact that the game starts off as slow as any game ever possibly could. But good god drat. How long does this fuckin' thing take to get moving at a reasonable pace? I've mostly been dicking around since god only knows where missions are. Done all the stuff I can do in Armadillo for now, so the only thing is Bonnie's poo poo, and herding may be the most tedious, awful thing in any game ever. I thought the regular, small herd was bad. Then we hit the big group of cows and my desire to play completely fell out. It doesn't matter that it's easy, it's loving boring.

I really do want to like the game. The voice acting's great, the story seems like it has legs, and I enjoy the combat. But anything that doesn't involve one of those things can just suck a dick.

Am I stuck doing bland-rear end farm work until more story stuff opens in Armadillo? Should I just ride around messing with the yahoos in the country? Become an outlaw? Anything to spice things up. I rented the game, and that was a good move on my part, because this definitely isn't my type of thing. There's a good game under all this junk, I guess it's just pushing through all that junk to reach it's the problem. What kind timeframe here, goons? At what point do things really pick up the pace and get moving?

Just give it up, it's not your thing. I would wager a guess you don't like western movies or The Godfather type movies either.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

To be fair, the rancher missions do suck horribly. I made a save after finishing them so when I start a new game I don't need to replay them. I was pretty angry when I found out I had to herd cows again near the end of the game.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
GTA4 started out with simple tutorial missions so the fact that anyone is blown away by how "boring" the Bonnie missions clearly shows that they are new to this genre.

For me, any feelings of boredom of tedious-ness were wiped away by how engrossing the environment is. Yes, herding animals is boring on face value but the beautifully crafted ambient environment SHOULD be enough to stifle your boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interocitor
Jun 26, 2003

No no, farther TOWARD the kill zone please!

Stare-Out posted:

accidentally clicking on the stick during combat and scuttling away from enemies like some retarded crab-person. :argh:

This is me in just about every Rockstar game :downs: It's so loving annoying when you're low on health trying to run away and instead you start sneaking.

Also, those loving beavers took me days to round up. DON'T believe their lies! All the youtubes and poo poo I watched show a bunch of beavers in the north that never spawned for me. Hung out baiting and killing bears and cougars for days and not one of those fuckers showed up!

Some of the videos are taped in freeroam, and perhaps the spawn rates are different when you have the Daedalus mission or something. Also, certain animals are more prone to spawning at different times of day etc.

Then I remembered seeing something that looked like a beaver once by the Pacific Union camp. Never sure, because I blasted it with the buffalo rifle and never saw the carcass. I head up there, and sure enough! By the river, right behind the camp, a spawn point just shits out beavers all day.

Interocitor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 27, 2010

• Locked thread