Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Is there something I'm missing to this poo poo?

Buy a shotgun and aim it in the general direction of anything. Problem solved! Alternatively, buy a repeater and aim it at their heads. Two shots to the torso or one to the head will kill basically any human opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

midge posted:

How the hell do I do sharpshooter Rank 10?
Is this the disarm thing? I did it by going to the saloon in Thieves' Landing and taking cover behind the counter. From there I shot a guy in the leg which made all the patrons go berserk and pull out their guns. Then I just went into dead-eye and disarmed all of them.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

ChibiSoma posted:

Ohhh my god I've never been so bored by a game in my life.

I dunno if it's the old west setting, the clunky controls, or the fact that the game starts off as slow as any game ever possibly could. But good god drat. How long does this fuckin' thing take to get moving at a reasonable pace? I've mostly been dicking around since god only knows where missions are. Done all the stuff I can do in Armadillo for now, so the only thing is Bonnie's poo poo, and herding may be the most tedious, awful thing in any game ever. I thought the regular, small herd was bad. Then we hit the big group of cows and my desire to play completely fell out. It doesn't matter that it's easy, it's loving boring.

I really do want to like the game. The voice acting's great, the story seems like it has legs, and I enjoy the combat. But anything that doesn't involve one of those things can just suck a dick.

Am I stuck doing bland-rear end farm work until more story stuff opens in Armadillo? Should I just ride around messing with the yahoos in the country? Become an outlaw? Anything to spice things up. I rented the game, and that was a good move on my part, because this definitely isn't my type of thing. There's a good game under all this junk, I guess it's just pushing through all that junk to reach it's the problem. What kind timeframe here, goons? At what point do things really pick up the pace and get moving?

Edit: Add 'gently caress hostage missions' to this. Seriously, what the hell. Yeah, this is a great mechanic. One hostage dies, you start over. I guess I save my bullet time for the one holding a gun to the lady's head. But given you lower your gun when you open the door, that gives you a very short time frame to raise, click, aim, and shoot.

Ainsley McTree posted:

You're what, two missions into the game? Goddamn, give it some time

I have a better idea - send it back to the shop and buy COD.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

midge posted:

I'm also not looking forward to winning Five Finger Fillet in Mexico for the uniform patch.

Just write down the patterns on a piece of paper and don't even look at the game, just look at the controller. It might take a couple of attempts to learn them but then it's easy.

midge posted:

This works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9yv6UKfws

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I'm having a hell of a time trying to win Liar's Dice without losing any dice. I even got a game in Mexico against one person, I won all of the time, but always lost one die sometime. Oh well, I made a good chunk of change at least.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Just make really small bids and let the two computers call each other out until one of them loses all their dice. Hopefully the other person doesn't have any left either and it's really easy to play that way.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
That makes sense, thanks.

I'm not sure why, but I shot my first bobcat in game and it's the first time I felt remorse for killing anything.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

BerkerkLurk posted:

I'm not sure why, but I shot my first bobcat in game and it's the first time I felt remorse for killing anything.

Wait till you kill the buffalo.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

BerkerkLurk posted:

That makes sense, thanks.

I had trouble too but the Red Dead Wiki has some really solid tips for it. Its basically bidding what you actually have. Being honest pretty much wins the game. I still lose a die every now and then but I've won losing no dice before. I had to learn it for one of the stranger missions.

I also don't shoot any small game unless I have to. So rabbits, armadillos, skunks, beavers, bobcats are all safe around me. I don't usually have to bother anyway as I'm usually being raped by cougars and wolves.

Now I've finished the game I'm pretty much going round hunting for fun, occasionally doing a stranger mission or challenge. What's confusing me is the find all locations achievement. It hard to believe there's still places I've not been too that'd count as a location, I mean the storyline takes you pretty much everywhere on the map I thought. Though I had no idea there was a lake until remember my family

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got all the locations just by buying all the maps. I didn't even realize I did it until the achievement popped up.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Slantedfloors posted:

Nah, it's sheep for me. They emit the saddest little noise imaginable.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

I can't bring myself to kill one. :smith:

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
What are you meant to do with the random encounters where someone asks for a lift and then steals your horse? I've only had two appear and I killed them both but nothing happened. Don't you usually get fame for completing those mini sidemissions?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I got all the locations just by buying all the maps. I didn't even realize I did it until the achievement popped up.

I complete forgot about the maps and just realized I haven't even STARTED doing the treasure hunts :D.

THIS. GAME.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

midge posted:

This one's easy if you do the Fort Mercer gang hideout and use the Evans Repeater to disarm-snipe from the second floor - if you can't get 6 disarms in 22 rounds, you need some help!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Lord of Sword posted:

What are you meant to do with the random encounters where someone asks for a lift and then steals your horse? I've only had two appear and I killed them both but nothing happened. Don't you usually get fame for completing those mini sidemissions?

I think it's just one of those side missions to add flavor to the game. It would be nice though if they had an actual "help a stranger to town" mission just so you wouldn't automatically know that everyone asking for a ride is going to try and jack your horse.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

It would be nice though if they had an actual "help a stranger to town" mission just so you wouldn't automatically know that everyone asking for a ride is going to try and jack your horse.

They do.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

GamingHyena posted:

I think it's just one of those side missions to add flavor to the game. It would be nice though if they had an actual "help a stranger to town" mission just so you wouldn't automatically know that everyone asking for a ride is going to try and jack your horse.

Every now and again, there's a guy that does need a ride to town, but I think they're usually near a broken down wagon (that isn't an obvious bandit ambush). I've only had it happen like once or twice.

If somebody tries to steal my horse, I just lasso them off and give them a ride to the nearest town. Apparently, people die if they're dragged across the plains for miles. :smith:

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Ray and Shirley posted:

I can't bring myself to kill one. :smith:

Wait until you unlock the buffalo as a MP mount, whistle for it, and have it constantly run PAST you and make you chase it around in circles whistling nonstop like some sort of sentient retarded teapot on fire.

After that you'll be squint anytime you shoot anything so it looks more buffalo-shaped as it dies.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Crows Turn Off posted:

^^^ Do all of Bonnie's missions first. They are the "tutorial" missions. Plus, you get the lasso from her, which is awesome. If you haven't done very many of her missions, then you are maybe like 1% of the way through the game.

Maybe a third of the way through the game. Make sure you do a lot of the Stranger Missions and Challenges. :)

Are you refering to the pistol or the length of the game? It doesn't matter anyway, I completed all the Ricketts missions and he gave me a Schofield and I'm pretty happy with that. :)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I don't know if this has been addressed, but when you're in cover if you hit the fire button without drawing your weapon you'll fire blind around your cover. loving sweet. Only figured that out after a billion hours of play. :)

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Just finished the game. Amazing. Thought I would get bored of it as I easily get bored of GTA and most sandbox games but the story just kept me gripped.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

Minor postgame story question: Is there anything in the postgame that says anything about Bonnie's fate? There's nothing in the final newspaper, and I thought I read somewhere that you can overhear townspeople talk about her getting married or something. Haven't run across that though. I just kinda felt bad for her, poor girl really wanted to get laid.

I was guessing that her fate being unresolved would make her dead certain to be involved in any DLC. But since the only thing I've heard about that is 'no giant DLCs,' I'm guessing she might show up but will probably just continue owning the Ranch and letting it become a town in its own right.

And I need to learn how to close my tags. poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GamingHyena posted:

I did have one where I had to put a girl on the back of my horse and take her to a train station. She's lucky because I almost shot her square between the eyes before she tried to hop on.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007

Lord of Sword posted:

What are you meant to do with the random encounters where someone asks for a lift and then steals your horse?

I've killed every duded-up, egg-suckin' gutter trash hitchhiker I've come across because it only seemed logical that they would steal my horse. It's the old west man, poo poo be real. If they can't lasso their own drat horse then they deserve to die.

On a side note, my horse threw a shoe and bucked me off, caused me to bust a perfectly good bottle of fine Kentucky red-eye, so I killed that sumbitch and then I shot that gutless, yellow pie-slinger of a blacksmith in the back over a matter of $80.

Dr Assinine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 28, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gazmachine posted:

Nah, it's sheep for me. They emit the saddest little noise imaginable.

I used to think that *CRUNCH**SQUEAK* when you trampled a rabbit with your horse was bad, but now I just find it oddly satisfying.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

muckswirler posted:

I don't know if this has been addressed, but when you're in cover if you hit the fire button without drawing your weapon you'll fire blind around your cover. loving sweet. Only figured that out after a billion hours of play. :)

Now use a Native American skin from Dutch's gang as your MP skin and clear out a hideout by blind-throwing throwing knives around corners.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I love multiplayer, I just wish there was a bit more to do in freeroam.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp..

I was trying to herd the buffalo to go through blackwater, and apparently they all decided to commit suicide by riding into the river.

On one hand, I feel kinda :smith: cause they are all gone, on the other hand.. :argh: WHERE'S MY 5G ROCKSTAR?!?!?!

Did not know about the blind fire..

Had a random "HELP I NEEDS TA GET BACK TO TOWN!" mission happen in Aurora Basin of all places (WAY up north on the map). I saw a wolf or something stalking the guy, pulled out the mauser and aimed it (at him unfortunately) and he just yelled "drat! I DONE poo poo MAHSELF!" and ran off.

B'ar got 'im. :clint:

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp..

I was trying to herd the buffalo to go through blackwater, and apparently they all decided to commit suicide by riding into the river.

On one hand, I feel kinda :smith: cause they are all gone, on the other hand.. :argh: WHERE'S MY 5G ROCKSTAR?!?!?!

I almost had the same thing happen to me - I was able to get the whole herd in two runs a couple of game days apart. Killed 10 the first time, and during the second run I had killed all but two who were now fleeing north... in to the path of an oncoming train. Using the Buffalo Rifle, I downed one immediately and was able to kill the last one literally a half second before he got liquefied by the oncoming train. So protip: watch for trains before you piss off the buffalo herd.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stare-Out posted:

Is this the disarm thing? I did it by going to the saloon in Thieves' Landing and taking cover behind the counter. From there I shot a guy in the leg which made all the patrons go berserk and pull out their guns. Then I just went into dead-eye and disarmed all of them.

I did it more or less the same way except in the saloon at Armadillo. If you pull a gun all the Walton Gang guys will jump up and go for their guns as well, and it's pretty easy to disarm them. If that isn't 6 then wait a second because most of them have a rifle they'll go far as well. Once you get the challenge then just waste 'em all, you won't lose honor (if that is a concern) because they're all a bunch of no good sidewindin' hoods. Moonshine is also helpful.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Endgame: This is actually one of the better video game endings that I can remember. With Dutch's speech and that "Mysterious Stranger", along with other conversations and the ambiguity of who's good/bad in the Mexican missions I picked up early on that they were setting it up that John wouldn't be able to escape his past. What did surprise me is that they actually killed him at the end. When the hell does the good guy ever lose in video games? It was a really smart ending. John was the last cowboy in New Austin, and as the game wore on you could see how Mexico was always going to be corrupt with "Freedom Fighters" being as bad as the government. The stark difference between Blackwater and the other american towns really served to show that the West was on its last leg and that the "eye for an eye" mentality was being replaced with the rule of Law. John gets killed because he's stupid enough to believe the people that were playing him played by his rules, when in reality they don't care. It's capitalism. These guys want more power, more money, s they follow the rules and play the system to get the best ending for themselves, old west honor be damned.

Game owns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Samu posted:

Endgame: This is actually one of the better video game endings that I can remember. With Dutch's speech and that "Mysterious Stranger", along with other conversations and the ambiguity of who's good/bad in the Mexican missions I picked up early on that they were setting it up that John wouldn't be able to escape his past. What did surprise me is that they actually killed him at the end. When the hell does the good guy ever lose in video games? It was a really smart ending. John was the last cowboy in New Austin, and as the game wore on you could see how Mexico was always going to be corrupt with "Freedom Fighters" being as bad as the government. The stark difference between Blackwater and the other american towns really served to show that the West was on its last leg and that the "eye for an eye" mentality was being replaced with the rule of Law. John gets killed because he's stupid enough to believe the people that were playing him played by his rules, when in reality they don't care. It's capitalism. These guys want more power, more money, s they follow the rules and play the system to get the best ending for themselves, old west honor be damned.

Game owns.

What didn't own is that somebody accidentally spoiled it for me with a broken spoiler tag (that was only briefly up and of course I come right across it at the time). Doh!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BonoMan posted:

What didn't own is that somebody accidentally spoiled it for me with a broken spoiler tag (that was only briefly up and of course I come right across it at the time). Doh!

Same here, it seems like one of the worst endings to spoil, too. Now I'm at the beginning of the last area, just dragging my feet through the story and doing some more ambient challenges.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the truth posted:

Same here, it seems like one of the worst endings to spoil, too. Now I'm at the beginning of the last area, just dragging my feet through the story and doing some more ambient challenges.

Yeah, having the ending ruined for this game would really suck, I really enjoyed it the first time. Having it spoiled would be like watching the sixth sense knowing all along that the guy in the hairpiece turns out to be bruce willis the whole time

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, having the ending ruined for this game would really suck, I really enjoyed it the first time. Having it spoiled would be like watching the sixth sense knowing all along that the guy in the hairpiece turns out to be bruce willis the whole time
Wow, thanks a lot rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Regarding the ending to this game, are you referring to the surprise Bonnie gang-rape or the fact that John Marston is actually gay?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Wow, thanks a lot rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Regarding the ending to this game, are you referring to the surprise Bonnie gang-rape or the fact that John Marston is actually gay?

I think the real twist was when these two elements combined. Bonnie sure looks like a guy from behind.

EDIT: I don't know...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Coincidentally, I actually had that movie ruined too! I was seeing it like 2 or 3 days after it came out and this couple behind me wouldn't shut up at all. I decided to give them until the "directed by" credit to quiet down. When they didn't, I leaned back and politely asked them to keep it down. He leans forward and says "Bruce Willis is already dead." Took me about 20 minutes for it to really register (at first I was all :wtc:). Ugh.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

BonoMan posted:

Coincidentally, I actually had that movie ruined too! I was seeing it like 2 or 3 days after it came out and this couple behind me wouldn't shut up at all. I decided to give them until the "directed by" credit to quiet down. When they didn't, I leaned back and politely asked them to keep it down. He leans forward and says "Bruce Willis is already dead." Took me about 20 minutes for it to really register (at first I was all :wtc:). Ugh.

Wow...that is the sort of douchebag move that can only be pulled off by someone who saw The Sixth Sense twice in the theatres in 2-3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoomdog posted:

Wow...that is the sort of douchebag move that can only be pulled off by someone who saw The Sixth Sense twice in the theatres in 2-3 days.

Yup. Given the fact that he was treating watching a movie like a stroll in the park, it didn't surprise me he was talking. I mean who the gently caress spends money, to see a movie they've already seen, only to just piss it away by having a conversation about his friends Camaro? gently caress.

• Locked thread