Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
However that said a complete beginner might be better off with the vstar then? I've really only ridden in my MSF so I dont want something overly powerful in anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

However that said a complete beginner might be better off with the vstar then? I've really only ridden in my MSF so I dont want something overly powerful in anyway.

Either would be fine for a beginner.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ChiTownEddie posted:

If it's a runoff between the V-star 650 Custom/Classic and the Shadow Spirit/ACE 750, go with the latter. They're dimensionally interchangeable, but the Shadow's got a slightly more powerful motor hauling less bling down the road. Facts and opinions here:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/honda_shadow_spirit_750/index.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/yamaha_v_star_650_classic/index.html

I wouldn't be put off by the performance numbers. We're talking about smooth power delivery and not something that's going to buck you out of the seat. And if you're bitten hard by the bug and wind up clocking crazy miles, this may save you from having to prep and unload a bike in 1-2 years. If you're worried about dropping it, get one that's been pre-pranged. Sit on them and go with your instincts, because chances are you're going to live there for the foreseeable future.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
Let me preface by saying I have ridden a few dirt bikes and motorcycles in the past, but not for any length of time. Mostly just around the block or messing around on someones property.

What I am wanting to do is pick up a dual sport bike that I could get comfortable with and eventually take on an adventure through South America. I would be making the trip from Ohio and don't really have time limitations. I am of course wanted to do this on a budget. I am aware of the problems getting the bike from Central America to South America so I'd rather not make this post about that.

Currently I am looking at Honda's CRF230L, XR650L and of course Kawasaki's KLR650. Can anybody offer me any input on these bikes, modifications that would be made to make it viable, alternative suggestions, etc..? I am aware of some of the obvious ones like wanting a larger fuel tank on the Honda's. What else would I be looking at. What should I expect to pay for a used bike in good condition? What years should I look at? Other considerations or experiences you guys have had?

I'm 24 years old, 5'11 and 175lbs. If that helps at all. I am thinking the CRF230L isn't even an option. There's no way it'd be viable to highway riding.

Moonbloodsflow fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Marv Hushman posted:

:words:

Thanks alot for the advice man. I'm definitely going to give them both a try! :cool:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Wants to get bike.

You should be signing up for MSF yesterday to get your license and then worry about picking up a bike. With that said, even the KLR isn't great on the highway but I think it's the best option out of the ones you've listed because it's cheap, parts are cheap and plentiful, and it'll handle a variety of surfaces adequately.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Moonbloodsflow posted:

adventure through South America. I am of course wanted to do this on a budget.

Pre-08 KLR650. Get the big gas tank, doohicky, crash bars and the usual stuff. Should be able to get something pre-farkled for $2k or less.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ChiTownEddie posted:

Thanks alot for the advice man. I'm definitely going to give them both a try! :cool:

Keep in mind those stats are a decade old, so they've had that long to refine both bikes. The deltas should be roughly the same, but you can't go wrong with either.

Assumed you were in the used market, but if you're going new and want something closer to a standard, take a gander at the Shadow RS too. Haven't ridden it, but it appears they took a Sportster and made it...enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBxbLb62-Q

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"

Tsaven Nava posted:

Pre-08 KLR650. Get the big gas tank, doohicky, crash bars and the usual stuff. Should be able to get something pre-farkled for $2k or less.

Is there a reason for sticking with the Pre-08's other than price?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Is there a reason for sticking with the Pre-08's other than price?

They re-designed the whole bike in '08 and the new engines (at least for the '08 model year) have been suffering top-end oiling issues. They also added big giant ugly fairings that get broken the first time you ever drop the bike.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The new model have half decent front brakes, though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sklnd posted:

The new model have half decent front brakes, though.
Take the money you save buying a KLR650-A and spend a couple hundred bucks of it one of the upsized aftermarket brake kits.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Marv Hushman posted:

Assumed you were in the used market, but if you're going new and want something closer to a standard, take a gander at the Shadow RS too. Haven't ridden it, but it appears they took a Sportster and made it...enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBxbLb62-Q

You know, I really dig that style of bike for an everyday commuter and that Honda looks to be about perfect for what I am looking for in a commuter bike. Well, it did look perfect until I looked at the specs on it.

Chain drive instead of belt?
2.8 gallon fuel tank?
Drum rear brake?
Single disk front brake with a 2 piston caliper on a 507lb bike?
5 speed transmission?

Who is this bike made for and what type of riding are they supposed to do with it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

You know, I really dig that style of bike for an everyday commuter and that Honda looks to be about perfect for what I am looking for in a commuter bike. Well, it did look perfect until I looked at the specs on it.

2.8 gallon fuel tank?
Drum rear brake?
5 speed transmission?

Who is this bike made for and what type of riding are they supposed to do with it?

Look, they understand you're not going to ride for a long time, you want the ability to adjust your gearing for maximum sound off the line, you want the reliability of drum brakes, that modern braking systems are so good you don't need more than one rotor at the front, and that 6 speed transmissions reduce engine speed too much on the freeway so you'll never be able to use the vibrations to pre-warm your bar trash pillion.

It's the perfect bike, really.

Have you considered the 919? I had a chance to ride one recently and it's a pretty goddamn good bike. The one I rode was pretty much stock minus rearsets, a superbike bar, and some remus exhausts. Sounded great with the quiet cores in, not too loud. Very nice workhorse of a bike that'll go for ages.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Have you considered the 919? I had a chance to ride one recently and it's a pretty goddamn good bike. The one I rode was pretty much stock minus rearsets, a superbike bar, and some remus exhausts. Sounded great with the quiet cores in, not too loud. Very nice workhorse of a bike that'll go for ages.

The 599/919 is in my wheelhouse, they're just hard to find in my area and overpriced compared to the competition when you do find one. I'm also looking at the SV650, Ninja 650R, Yamaha FZ6, and Bandits of different sizes. So far the SV650 and Ninja 650R are appealing to me the most in the looks and function departments, with the SV650 leading the way.

Realistically it will come down to what's available within a reasonable distance, in decent shape, with a decent price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

The 599/919 is in my wheelhouse, they're just hard to find in my area and overpriced compared to the competition when you do find one. I'm also looking at the SV650, Ninja 650R, Yamaha FZ6, and Bandits of different sizes. So far the SV650 and Ninja 650R are appealing to me the most in the looks and function departments, with the SV650 leading the way.

Realistically it will come down to what's available within a reasonable distance, in decent shape, with a decent price.

Yeah I forget that not everyone has access to the awesome motorcycle markets of CA.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yeah I forget that not everyone has access to the awesome motorcycle markets of CA.

It just depends on what type of bike you want. I have my choice of every make, model, and year of dirt bike, cruiser, or stretched and chromed liter bike/Busa here. Anything outside of that is pretty iffy.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

frozenphil posted:

2.8 gallon fuel tank?
Drum rear brake?
5 speed transmission?

I think there was some wire crossage--this was directed at ChiTown, who is looking at entry-level cruisers. He's buying this motor or one close to it; it's possible he'd rather have it sitting in this frame. Forward controls aren't for everybody.

As for the specs, I'm not seeing a problem. It's an EFI Sporty 883 with liquid cooling, ground clearance, 80 fewer pounds, stock spokes that you can see, a seat that doesn't suck, and grips that aren't rejects from the Huffy factory. I'd ride it to hell and back, as long as there were gas stations every 100 miles :)

Odds are it will go away after 2 model years like the Kaw W650 if it isn't sued out of existence first. Naw sir, for you, I'd keep it retro, but I'd recommend nothing less than this:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/09/honda-cb1100-to-be-unveiled-at-tokyo.html

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

I think there was some wire crossage--this was directed at ChiTown, who is looking at entry-level cruisers. He's buying this motor or one close to it; it's possible he'd rather have it sitting in this frame. Forward controls aren't for everybody.

As for the specs, I'm not seeing a problem. It's an EFI Sporty 883 with liquid cooling, ground clearance, 80 fewer pounds, stock spokes that you can see, a seat that doesn't suck, and grips that aren't rejects from the Huffy factory. I'd ride it to hell and back, as long as there were gas stations every 100 miles :)

Odds are it will go away after 2 model years like the Kaw W650 if it isn't sued out of existence first. Naw sir, for you, I'd keep it retro, but I'd recommend nothing less than this:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/09/honda-cb1100-to-be-unveiled-at-tokyo.html

I know it was directed at someone else, I was just commenting on it because at first I was all like "woah, that would make a sweet commuter". Once I got to researching it and reading the specs I was less than enthused.

Most of my objections about the bike really center on the brakes and the puny gas tank. My Ninja 250 can get away with a single disk, twin piston front brake because it weighs 350lbs. Even then, though, it's just barely adequate. The gas tank on the Shadow RS would mean I would be hitting the reserve every single day I commuted on it.

I can deal with the chain drive and 5 speed transmission, it would just be nice to have a belt on a commuter as well as an additional gear in the transmission.

I'd let that CB1100 poo poo on my chest, but sadly that will never be an option for me because I live in America and we don't get any cool standards here.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

frozenphil posted:

I know it was directed at someone else, I was just commenting on it because at first I was all like "woah, that would make a sweet commuter". Once I got to researching it and reading the specs I was less than enthused.

Most of my objections about the bike really center on the brakes and the puny gas tank. My Ninja 250 can get away with a single disk, twin piston front brake because it weighs 350lbs. Even then, though, it's just barely adequate. The gas tank on the Shadow RS would mean I would be hitting the reserve every single day I commuted on it.

I can deal with the chain drive and 5 speed transmission, it would just be nice to have a belt on a commuter as well as an additional gear in the transmission.

I'd let that CB1100 poo poo on my chest, but sadly that will never be an option for me because I live in America and we don't get any cool standards here.

All true, and the bottom line doesn't help either. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm told when a belt goes it politely exits to the rear without taking a chunk of motor with it. I have zero experience with SVs and Ninjas and such, so I don't really feel qualified to chime in. Mine have all been impulse buys that I shoehorned into the role of the week, so you're way ahead of me. Can't wait to see what you decide.

I didn't realize they'd backed away from the 1100. I thought that was a go.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
So after riding two up with me my girlfriend decided to do the MSF! So now she's looking at bikes. Price range is up to about 1000-1200.. , she prefers a cruiser or standard. Doesnt like sportbikes or SMs. She's also quite petit so size and weight needs to be taken into consideration. She can barely get the toes of both feet on the ground when sitting on my SV.

Bike wise she's been looking at things like rebels, gz250, viragos and whatever random UJMs pop up in that price range. The rebels seem to go for a little more, but I assume we could get one in that range. I wanted to suggest to her a sachs madass but theyre $2700 new and noone is selling any second hand around here that I've seen. neat bikes though.

Is there anything else you could recommend for her?

Also, does this seem like a good price? I'd expect we could talk him down a bit.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1806439195.html

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I will throw my voice out in support of the GZ250. I had one for 6 months and loved it so very much. Were I not 6'4" and pretty much the weight limit of the bike on my own, I'd have probably kept it. However, I like taking to the highways, and that bike was having none of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What about the GS500?

That seems a bit high for that bike but if everything is in good working condition, you're far better off spending a bit more and buying a nice runner than trying to "save" on a bike that just needs a little work .

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

quote:

* 2002 DUCATI MONSTER 750 $1000 TODAY* - $1000
I bought this bike at a auction, Has 16,XXX miles, Has fresh bright red paint on it, decent tires, Its a nice all around bike but needs some misc stuff such as ignition, brake & clutch levers, brake and clutch foot pedals, I will give you a bill of sale with this bike along with the paperwork that i got when i bought it from the auction so you can obtain a clean texas title, call 214-650-7455 this wont last at this price!! thank you *WILL DELETE POST WHEN SOLD THANK YOU*

I'm betting the five finger auction.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What are the major differences between a Honda Shadow ACE and a Spirit?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Unzip and Attack posted:

I believe just different styling cues, the aero has big swoopier fenders, while the ACE (American Classic Edition) had smaller fenders and an overall leaner look, even though dimensionally they were about the same. Only think about the spirits is that I think after they discontinued the ACE the spirit took over, looks pretty similiar to me.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The ACE was replaced by the Sabre; they share the classic Softail styling cues. The Spirit has a leaner Sportster/Dyna look, and the Aero, as mentioned, has long, low swooping lines, coffin taillight, etc. Mechanically, they're identical.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Unzip and Attack posted:

Same as ^ they said. The value proposition of the ACE, I believe, was to evoke the cruisers of the 40s and 50s with some gorgeous two-tone color combos and styling. Whitewalls look completely at home on them. The Spirits are aimed at the bare-bones crowd and come in only a handful of colors--this year I think there are only two.

There may be an inch or two diff in any given direction.

Oh, and with the ACE you can fling tha goofy pillion pad at will when you're running solo.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 28, 2010

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
A coworker of mine is looking to get back in to riding after a couple years hiatus. He saw a Shadow on our company's for sale page and asked my opinion.

quote:

2002 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe $3500
38K Miles
750CC
Close to $1500 in additions.
A few things:
Mustang seat, passenger seat, and sissy bar.
Cobra straight pipes. (This thing is very very loud.)
Cobra floorboards.
Grips
Highway Bar
Saddlebags, and Small bag that sits behind sissy bar.
Windshield

There is nothing wrong with it, the tires are in great shape, and it is tagged until February 2011. It does have higher miles than some bikes, but uses no oil, no problems mechanically.

The pictures that were posted were nothing special, but no visible damage. He's asking too much, probably wanting to recoup some of the cost of the mods. I figure my coworker should start offering at 2700 and settle for no more than 3k. I have no idea what that "uses no oil" thing is about, though.

Yea/nay?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'd make sure he still has the stock pipes around, and if not, price accordingly. Unless you're a giant fag, a bike with loud pipes gets very annoying, very quickly.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

A coworker of mine is looking to get back in to riding after a couple years hiatus. He saw a Shadow on our company's for sale page and asked my opinion.

Yea/nay?

Don't know where you're located, but the differences may be worth a road trip:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/1815738800.html

And you won't have to undo potentially half-arsed performance mods. And if you're not aware of them already, aggregators such as crazedlist can help immensely with your search. Happy hunting...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

The pictures that were posted were nothing special, but no visible damage. He's asking too much, probably wanting to recoup some of the cost of the mods. I figure my coworker should start offering at 2700 and settle for no more than 3k. I have no idea what that "uses no oil" thing is about, though.

Yea/nay?

I'd say nay, price is pretty high considering the miles and it's a pre-2004 aero (in 2004 the aero's got shaft drives), i'd offer around 2800.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'd make sure he still has the stock pipes around, and if not, price accordingly. Unless you're a giant fag, a bike with loud pipes gets very annoying, very quickly.

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYPxWjyg5w

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
After flirting with getting into riding for about 5 years, I finally signed up for a MSF course in August. That said, I'm starting to shop around a bit for bikes. Right now I'm really digging the Triumph Bonneville. How would that work for something to learn on? V Star is also a possibility.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Triumph Bonnevilles are right at the upper limit for power for a noob (60ish horsepower) and are a tad heavy for one as well at 450lb. I would say it would make an okay beginner bike but there are cheaper, better options that you can learn on and then get the Bonneville once you get all your stupid rookie drops out of the way. We've endlessly discussed this topic on various threads so look around for what we recommend for new riders.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
You are right. I'm looking more at 250cc bikes now. I'm not really a speed demon yet and riding something cheap and easy for a few years is probably not a bad idea.

I'm seeing a lot of Honda Rebels from the last 5 years or so popping up for sale around my area. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a bad place to start? I'm not going to purchase the bike yet but I would like to get something very shortly after the MSF course. There's a whole lot of 250cc bikes in the $4,000 range new (TU250, GZ250, Rebel, V Star 250, etc etc) -- are there any huge differences or should I just pick one that I like and go with it? I see that the Ninja is the most recommended bike, but I'm not really into the sport styling.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

"[panic posted:

"]
You are right. I'm looking more at 250cc bikes now. I'm not really a speed demon yet and riding something cheap and easy for a few years is probably not a bad idea.

I'm seeing a lot of Honda Rebels from the last 5 years or so popping up for sale around my area. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a bad place to start? I'm not going to purchase the bike yet but I would like to get something very shortly after the MSF course. There's a whole lot of 250cc bikes in the $4,000 range new (TU250, GZ250, Rebel, V Star 250, etc etc) -- are there any huge differences or should I just pick one that I like and go with it? I see that the Ninja is the most recommended bike, but I'm not really into the sport styling.

How tall are you? Rebels are really small. Also, remember it's not about the CC it's about the HP. Keep it < 50 and you'll be good.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Doctor Zero posted:

How tall are you? Rebels are really small. Also, remember it's not about the CC it's about the HP. Keep it < 50 and you'll be good.

5'9" -- I read something about them being small and thought it would be a nice benefit. :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

"[panic posted:

"]
5'9" -- I read something about them being small and thought it would be a nice benefit. :)

I would strongly advise sitting on a Rebel before deciding on it, they are REALLY small. I'm 6'0" and my knees hit the handlebars on them. I can't imagine that anyone much taller then 5'6" could ride them that comfortably.

V-Star 650 or older Virago 535 wouldn't be terrible starter bikes either if you like the cruiser style. 40-50hp and pretty manageable, but they are a little heavy (450ish)

Also, look at the Suzuki GS400/GS500, really excellent bikes and there's a poo poo-ton of them around. Great starter bikes, as long as you don't buy a $400 one from Nerobro with gummy carbs that you're still fighting with :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

I found a dealership in Houston selling a '99 SV650n for $3000. It only has 7k miles, so I'm guessing they're gonna justify the price due to the low mileage. Does mileage really make that much of a difference in the value?

I know this is highly circumstantial, but since KBB values the '99s at $1500 and NADA pegs it at $1700, is there any chance I could walk in there with, say, $1800-$2000 cash and get them to bite?

harm0nic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 29, 2010