Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
So close to getting my platinum trophy... but GODDAMN I suck at killing people in multiplayer. Either that or headshots are only insta-kill when I get my brains hollowed out... gently caress

On the plus side, I haven't run into too many people who are racist pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

Has anyone had this glitch happen to them? I caught a bounty alive in Mexico and returned him to one of those mexican lawmen. He went through the usual motions of "Ah, gracias amigo!", gave me the money, and then promptly pulled out his pump-action and unloaded 5 shells into my back as I was doing the whole walking away animation.

I'll admit that it was funny until I realized the game didn't autosave fast enough after I dropped him off so my alive bounty didn't register as completed for one of the outfits. What bullshit.

Wild Bill Hiccup
Mar 27, 2010

rSkan posted:

Has anyone had this glitch happen to them? I caught a bounty alive in Mexico and returned him to one of those mexican lawmen. He went through the usual motions of "Ah, gracias amigo!", gave me the money, and then promptly pulled out his pump-action and unloaded 5 shells into my back as I was doing the whole walking away animation.

I'll admit that it was funny until I realized the game didn't autosave fast enough after I dropped him off so my alive bounty didn't register as completed for one of the outfits. What bullshit.
I had similar stuff happen, I think one time was with a bounty like you just said, another time it was after the last De Santa mission. I had just completed it and was standing outside his villa when I got shot the gently caress up for no reason and died.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I accidentally ran over a dog on my horse, got a $3 bounty and was instantly killed by the 2 lawmen standing right next to me with high powered pistols.

I'm glad to see police tactics haven't changed in 100 years. :patriot:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddammit, I spent almost all of last night replaying old missions to get the Spurred to Victory achievement, not realizing I already have it. The secret achievement I'm missing is the Heading South on a White Bronco one.

Stupid secret achievements. :argh:

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

I had similar stuff happen, I think one time was with a bounty like you just said, another time it was after the last De Santa mission. I had just completed it and was standing outside his villa when I got shot the gently caress up for no reason and died.

I can't remember what Mexico mission it was but it might have been the same where when I was walking away from the town I walked past the five finger filet table and the Mexican soldier suddenly leapt up from the table and unloaded on me.

I managed to kill him and ride away but it scared the poo poo out of me.

I also had some dude taking pot shots at me with a rifle from the balcony of the police station in Chuparosa after one mission but killing him didn't give me a bounty (unlike with the soldier).

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I was just riding a bounty in from Tall Trees, trying to out run the enemies that were chasing me, when a god drat bear comes out of no where and kills the guy that managed to get right next to me. Almost makes me feel bad for my previous anti-bear sentiments

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I am a free-roam player killing rear end in a top hat and I regret nothing. To spice things up, try using a knife to kill people while riding horseback! Jousting is surprisingly fun.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I am a free-roam player killing rear end in a top hat and I regret nothing.

Same here. I kill blue dots, pink dots, green dots... no discrimination. Whatever dot is closest on my map, I seek and destroy... on my donkey.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I like to focus on the guys doing hideouts. The one with the mine cart is the best, chucking dynamite down at them as they try and push the cart uphill.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
The best is tracking down a posse heading somewhere really obvious (Hideout/El Presido/Blackwater), camping out in the hills ahead of them, and sniping all of them and their horses.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

using throwing knives.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

God dammit why are there no beavers or skunks in this game?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was a guy on free roam the other day that figured out how to glitch under the mansion in Escalera and become a public enemy while sniping anyone and anything that walked in through the only entrance of the gates. I chucked a few sticks of dynamite in and boom, got some xp for taking down an outlaw.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

ruddiger posted:

There was a guy on free roam the other day that figured out how to glitch under the mansion in Escalera and become a public enemy while sniping anyone and anything that walked in through the only entrance of the gates. I chucked a few sticks of dynamite in and boom, got some xp for taking down an outlaw.

I like taking down public enemy folks who are dumb enough to do it on top of the saloon or whatever in Armadillo. Snipe from the hills, get called a dick. aah, good times.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Are you being facetious?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I couldn't care less about that, I was just hoping I could actually ride a horse instead of having to run everywhere. :(

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

ruddiger posted:

There's a chance that was me, as I stumbled onto the glitch for the first time three days ago, and apparently everyone else already knew about it. As I'm playing around with my new found method of becoming Public Enemy, people were making 10 second pit stops in Escalera to toss dynamite at me before continuing to wherever.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I just found out you can beat the poo poo out of witnesses to stop them from reporting you.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

My apologies if this question has been asked...

So I'm running around as Jack and I'd just as soon reset my honor and fame.

Is it possible to do this and make it stick? It feels... out of place to have so much.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday
Is there some kind of secret to killing cougars with the knife? Every time I actually manage to find one they just kill me instantly.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

What a Judas posted:

Are you being facetious?

Oh no, I'm just having a lot of trouble finding beavers and skunks. I wasn't thinking "Oh look a Western game. They better put beavers in it."

Doctor Chef
Nov 3, 2005
"Clothes Pigs?"

Argumentable posted:

Is there some kind of secret to killing cougars with the knife? Every time I actually manage to find one they just kill me instantly.

Shoot them in the leg at least once to wound them and then finish the job. I sometimes will also just ride around on my horse swinging my knife but this is a crappy strategy and is only useful to big scaredy-babies like myself who forget to save thirty minutes of challenge progression and don't want to die again.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

Doctor Chef posted:

Shoot them in the leg at least once to wound them and then finish the job. I sometimes will also just ride around on my horse swinging my knife but this is a crappy strategy and is only useful to big scaredy-babies like myself who forget to save thirty minutes of challenge progression and don't want to die again.

Oh, here I was under the impression that I had to attack them completely with the knife

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I'm hopelessly addicted to this game. I'm in Mexico currently, I'm trying to max out all my challenges before going to the next area(Blackwater area I guess). i've got survivalist, sharpshooter, treasure up to that point, but gently caress the "5 foxes, 5 skunks, 5 whatever it is" pelts. I can't find anything I need right now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Argumentable posted:

Oh, here I was under the impression that I had to attack them completely with the knife

No, just the killing blow. Same deal when you have to knife a bear.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
So I just finished Twin Rocks in 1:56. I had 22 kills, 0 deaths, a max kill combo of 22, and how much experience did I get? 461.:what:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Argumentable posted:

The lasso is your best friend. While it won't hogtie an animal, a hit with your lasso will stun it for about 3 seconds. Use the start>weapons menu to instantly change between lasso and knife.

I didn't realize you only needed the killing blow w/ your bowie, so I ended up killing both grizzly bears and cougars with only a blade and a rope. The nervousness is well worth it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Hilario Baldness posted:

So I just finished Twin Rocks in 1:56. I had 22 kills, 0 deaths, a max kill combo of 22, and how much experience did I get? 461.:what:

Alright, now I just beat that with 1:46 with identical kills and combos and it gave me even less experience. Did they completely nerf Twin Rocks or what?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Alright, now I just beat that with 1:46 with identical kills and combos and it gave me even less experience. Did they completely nerf Twin Rocks or what?

I thought there were diminishing returns based on your level but I've never tested it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is something wrong? I've [endgame spoilers] taken control of Jack, and there seem to be no other missions. Just endless free roam. I've bought the last paper, too. I've had the ending spoiled for me - aren't I supposed to kill Ross? I went down to Lake Don Julio based on the newspaper article but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, I can't get two cheat phrases to work - "I'm an American. I need guns." and another one with an apostrophe that ends in a period. I forget what it is. What's the exact punctuation for those? 360 version, by the way. EDIT: It's "It's not pride, it's honor."

All in all, I'm looking forward to the fun that comes from joining the metatag. :)

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 29, 2010

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pirate Jet posted:

Is something wrong? I've [endgame spoilers] taken control of Jack, and there seem to be no other missions. Just endless free roam. I've bought the last paper, too. I've had the ending spoiled for me - aren't I supposed to kill Ross? I went down to Lake Don Julio based on the newspaper article but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Have you talked to the stranger in Blackwater?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I put the list of known cheats so far on Page 3. There's a couple phrases in the game world that are off either in spelling or punctuation from the actual cheat.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Have you talked to the stranger in Blackwater?

I have not, but there was no stranger icon there. I'll go do that, thanks.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Pirate Jet posted:

I have not, but there was no stranger icon there. I'll go do that, thanks.

See, this is another thing I really like about the endgame - there's more than a minor chance that you won't even spot the full ending right away. I mean, I immediately went to Blackwater in a "right, let's see if I can find me some government fuckers to shoot as revenge for pop". Turned out the start of the ultimate revenge was waiting for me .

That's why I had the most perfect experience with the ending. I didn't need prompting nor any guides for it, exactly as I imagine R* was hoping people would play it. The beauty of it being you don't have to play it that way, you're not funneled into it with some kind of mission prompt like "pa's dead, maybe it's time to take a trip to Blackwater" and I think that's brilliant.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Every now and again, there's a guy that does need a ride to town, but I think they're usually near a broken down wagon (that isn't an obvious bandit ambush). I've only had it happen like once or twice.

If somebody tries to steal my horse, I just lasso them off and give them a ride to the nearest town. Apparently, people die if they're dragged across the plains for miles. :smith:

Whenever I get horsejacked, I just whistle. The horse bucks the guy off and comes running back to you. Then you can get on and run the guy down.

For everyone like me that keeps getting empty free roams, what modem are you using? I've been doing some research and I think I've nailed it down as being a problem with this loving Motorola DSL modem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh no, I'm just having a lot of trouble finding beavers and skunks. I wasn't thinking "Oh look a Western game. They better put beavers in it."

Skunks: Go to Armadillo at night. Ride along the road behind the shipping company (where the stagecoach parks) up around the movie theater, back and around the stagecoach building and repeat. Just keep riding this circuit, you should see plenty of skunks and raccoons.

Beavers: North of Thieves Landing, in the West Elizabeth zone, there's a little patch surrounded by roads. It has a fox symbol on it. Whenever I've camped there until dawn/dusk I've woken up to swarms of beaver.

Vertigo posted:

I'm hopelessly addicted to this game. I'm in Mexico currently, I'm trying to max out all my challenges before going to the next area(Blackwater area I guess). i've got survivalist, sharpshooter, treasure up to that point, but gently caress the "5 foxes, 5 skunks, 5 whatever it is" pelts. I can't find anything I need right now.
For skunks and raccoons go to Armadillo (see above). Foxes are most numerous in West Elizabeth (and particulary in the patch I mentioned for beaver) but there are some in New Austin. I've never seen one in Mexico.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 29, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
loving hell, the Friends In High Places achievement is killing me. I tried the method of standing on top of that building across from the Blackwater station, but all the drat cops kept hiding around the edges and on the main street where I couldn't hit them. Tried the Amarillo sheriff's office but one of them kept glitching through back wall and killing me.

Any other good spots to get it?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
There's a building on the corner across from the train station with an 'L' alleyway behind it and beside it. The one behind it has a low wooden fence that is effectively an impassible wall for any NPC and in the corner is a small concrete stairway with a metal railing. Just take cover against the corner in the alleyway (across from the stair pad) and shoot anyone that comes down the alley from the main street in front of the train station.

Once you've got the 5K bounty, whistle for your horse and tear the hell out of there and wait for the 'WANTED' to go away. Then turn around and go right back to the train station to use your pardon letter.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

...! posted:

For everyone like me that keeps getting empty free roams, what modem are you using? I've been doing some research and I think I've nailed it down as being a problem with this loving Motorola DSL modem.

I'm using a Netopia 2241N-VGx and have never gotten multiplayer to work, even after firmware updates and DMZing the PS3. This is the only game I've had problems with, so I'm wondering if any 360 owners are having issues too.

I wish it would at least give me an error message so I'd have an idea of where to start looking instead of just sticking me in an empty game and acting like nothing is wrong.

• Locked thread