Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

2ndclasscitizen posted:

loving hell, the Friends In High Places achievement is killing me. I tried the method of standing on top of that building across from the Blackwater station, but all the drat cops kept hiding around the edges and on the main street where I couldn't hit them. Tried the Amarillo sheriff's office but one of them kept glitching through back wall and killing me.

Any other good spots to get it?

I had this problem and wondered whether it was due to having a max honour rating. I think if you have lower, more cops come after you more vehemently. It is possible there, though. I cleared out and lost my wanted level 4 or 5 times before getting a high enough bounty. A better area in Blackwater is that set of two roofs with a ladder to a higher roof. If you move between those two areas, you can cover more area in relative safety (be sure to use your cover properly though) and catch the coppers that are hiding a little more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, having the ending ruined for this game would really suck, I really enjoyed it the first time. Having it spoiled would be like watching the sixth sense knowing all along that the guy in the hairpiece turns out to be bruce willis the whole time

What's funny about this is that back when Sixth Sense first came out my dad didn't want to see it at all until I told him the twist.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.

Philip J Fry posted:

There's a building on the corner across from the train station with an 'L' alleyway behind it and beside it. The one behind it has a low wooden fence that is effectively an impassible wall for any NPC and in the corner is a small concrete stairway with a metal railing. Just take cover against the corner in the alleyway (across from the stair pad) and shoot anyone that comes down the alley from the main street in front of the train station.

Once you've got the 5K bounty, whistle for your horse and tear the hell out of there and wait for the 'WANTED' to go away. Then turn around and go right back to the train station to use your pardon letter.

Yep, and here I thought I was the only one who used that spot. Also great for head shots and getting public enemy X amount of times.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Hilario Baldness posted:

Alright, now I just beat that with 1:46 with identical kills and combos and it gave me even less experience. Did they completely nerf Twin Rocks or what?

They did nerf it, but the varying xp is because the more people in your freeroam, the more points you get. They don't have to be anywhere NEAR the hideout, but if you grind twin rocks in a full 16 player freeroam, you'll get more points than, say, you and two other people.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Philip J Fry posted:

There's a building on the corner across from the train station with an 'L' alleyway behind it and beside it. The one behind it has a low wooden fence that is effectively an impassible wall for any NPC and in the corner is a small concrete stairway with a metal railing. Just take cover against the corner in the alleyway (across from the stair pad) and shoot anyone that comes down the alley from the main street in front of the train station.

Once you've got the 5K bounty, whistle for your horse and tear the hell out of there and wait for the 'WANTED' to go away. Then turn around and go right back to the train station to use your pardon letter.

poo poo yes, thank you very much.

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007
He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence.
Does the most wanted achievement require you to actually stay wanted as a public enemy for ten minutes and THEN escape, or can I get public enemy, escape the police, and then just stay alive for ten minutes?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Judge Holden posted:

Does the most wanted achievement require you to actually stay wanted as a public enemy for ten minutes and THEN escape, or can I get public enemy, escape the police, and then just stay alive for ten minutes?

Stay alive for ten minutes (while Wanted) as a public enemy, then escape.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

The Lone Badger posted:

Skunks: Go to Armadillo at night. Ride along the road behind the shipping company (where the stagecoach parks) up around the movie theater, back and around the stagecoach building and repeat. Just keep riding this circuit, you should see plenty of skunks and raccoons.

Beavers: North of Thieves Landing, in the West Elizabeth zone, there's a little patch surrounded by roads. It has a fox symbol on it. Whenever I've camped there until dawn/dusk I've woken up to swarms of beaver.

Thanks, I got the beavers last night just northwest of Beecher's Hill, a whole group were there and I laughed and killed every one of those stupid beavers. But I've heard good things about the back of the stagecoach. The Red Dead wiki has some editing problems at times and I wasn't really sure of what to do.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

loving hell, the Friends In High Places achievement is killing me. I tried the method of standing on top of that building across from the Blackwater station, but all the drat cops kept hiding around the edges and on the main street where I couldn't hit them. Tried the Amarillo sheriff's office but one of them kept glitching through back wall and killing me.

I just went to my safehouse in Armadillo. You can shoot them from the balcony and start up a save in one of the extra slots to save up all of your bounty progress. Eventually they stop coming when you take out enough in a wave, just save and keep going when you wake up. Stock up on health so you don't feel the shame of losing to just one wave. Then you can reload a previous save if you like having honor.

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007
He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence.

Slantedfloors posted:

Stay alive for ten minutes (while Wanted) as a public enemy, then escape.

So if I'm going for it on a roof in Blackwater, I've got to keep the cops interested me that whole time? That makes this a lot more difficult.

e: Just confirmed that that's not true. You can lose the wanted level with the AI immediately after you become a public enemy as long as you end up staying alive for 10 minutes.

Judge Holden fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 29, 2010

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Judge Holden posted:

So if I'm going for it on a roof in Blackwater, I've got to keep the cops interested me that whole time? That makes this a lot more difficult.

I did this from the third story of the largest building in Chuparosa. The only way up is a little ladder, and provided that the posse/army is interested in you they'll know where you went and follow. It's easy to kill them one-by-one as they come up the ladder and for some reason they always seem to know where you are. I think I was there for 12 or 13 minutes before I got bored and fought my way back to the street.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Judge Holden posted:

e: Just confirmed that that's not true. You can lose the wanted level with the AI immediately after you become a public enemy as long as you end up staying alive for 10 minutes.

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Nope. I lost the wanted level after about 3-4 minutes because no cops were coming around, so I just decided to wait it out and see. After ten minutes, it popped. Way easier and way less fun than I thought it would be.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
Stupid question: How do I get a Rockstar code for the multiplayer download? I googled it and it seems that it came with a preorder for GameStop, but the game's website says its a free download.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
If you are talking about the coop, check the PSN Store or XBOX game addons. AFAIK, you can't download it from in game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ray and Shirley posted:

I love multiplayer, I just wish there was a bit more to do in freeroam.

I would kill for minigames to be available. This game got me addicted to poker so I'm going to have to find a free online source until I make a few bucks to play it with my friends again.

Ray and Shirley posted:

My apologies if this question has been asked...

So I'm running around as Jack and I'd just as soon reset my honor and fame.

Is it possible to do this and make it stick? It feels... out of place to have so much.

Late game spoilers. Don't read this if you haven't completed the game. Well you are the son of one of the most infamous gunslingers in the history of the West. Doesn't it make sense that you'd not only be famous but follow your father's example of being a Hero/Outlaw in terms of honor?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 29, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I wanna play poker and liar's dice in free roam SO BAD. Just make it an event that temporarily suspends you from the game world, like going to the outfitter!

edit: I had a great hardcore free roam session last night. Me and two people in my posse against two other people, everyone with carcano rifles, having this big ol' sniping match in the hills outside of El Presidio. It got pretty intense, actually, especially when I discovered that the bush I was hiding in was only 15 feet away from the bush my target was hiding in.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 29, 2010

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

fennesz posted:

I would kill for minigames to be available. This game got me addicted to poker so I'm going to have to find a free online source until I make a few bucks to play it with my friends again.

Late game spoilers. Don't read this if you haven't completed the game. Well you are the son of one of the most infamous gunslingers in the history of the West. Doesn't it make sense that you'd not only be famous but follow your father's example of being a Hero/Outlaw in terms of honor?

I, like many others, played John as a good guy, but then as Jack became an evil badass because I realized even though my father tried to be good, it only got him killed, so gently caress everybody else! Also, it's kind of satisfying to let loose after hours and hours of being good.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Dr Geek posted:

I, like many others, played John as a good guy, but then as Jack became an evil badass because I realized even though my father tried to be good, it only got him killed, so gently caress everybody else! Also, it's kind of satisfying to let loose after hours and hours of being good.

This is exactly how I played it. Hence my hope for some sort of fame/honor reset.

Doesn't much matter in the end, though. I'm content with the idea of Jack dragging the family name through the muck.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Dr Geek posted:

That's exactly what I did, and what everyone should do if they got the message the game was sending. John was an old cowboy trying to redeem himself, Jack is the same pissed off orphan his dad was.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Jesus, it's hard not to mouse over all those spoiler tags. I guess the story gets much better near the end since you all can't stop talking about it. I like the story, but I don't see it getting much better.

Anyway, what does the money you get in multiplayer do? I haven't seen any uses for it.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Ace Oliveira posted:

Anyway, what does the money you get in multiplayer do? I haven't seen any uses for it.

I think it translates into bonus XP.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I didn't even know about the Friends in high Places achievement when I decided to go on a killing spree just for fun.
I put on a bandanna and just started shooting at everyone. At first, I went into the Blackwater sheriff's office, covered behind the counter and blasted the marshalls and army guys away whenever they tried to get inside.
After that, I went to the bar in Blackwater, covered behind the bar and shot everyone who came in.
I did this for about 2 hours, just killing everyone and everything.
I also shot the telegraph office dude (by accident), so I had to ride back to MacFarlane Ranch with a shitload of marshalls chasing after me.

My bounty was about 15 000$ when I gave the pardon letter. It was fun reading all the crimes I had committed during the spree. :unsmith:

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 29, 2010

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Ace Oliveira posted:

Jesus, it's hard not to mouse over all those spoiler tags. I guess the story gets much better near the end since you all can't stop talking about it. I like the story, but I don't see it getting much better.

Oh ho ho, I once thought like this cause everybody was just about finishing the game when I was just sorta getting into it and every page was spoiler ridden. I actually got the game spoiled for me but I'd actually already figured it out. Here's why:

I thought the main character was the same voice as Johnny Klebitz from GTA IV: Lost and Damned. So I looked that up in the back of the manual and it wasn't. However right below it was the voice of a Jack Marston. This was before I'd even heard much of Jack's son in the dialogue to even assume I'd ever see him in the game. So I figured with such a high billing in the credit's he'd end up as a playable character. I didn't know until it got spoiled here that I ended up playing as a grown Jack. I figured that maybe by the time I came home Jack was old enough to be a little bit of a bad rear end and I'd do a couple missions as him. Maybe him and John fight off some feds or something. I was really happy it ended the way it did but gently caress the guy who loving ruined it on here.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Hilario Baldness posted:

Alright, now I just beat that with 1:46 with identical kills and combos and it gave me even less experience. Did they completely nerf Twin Rocks or what?

From what I've been seeing online, apparently you can clear out your system cache, go in to RDR and refuse the update (because it did nerf that XP), head in to System Link multiplayer alone, and get un-nerfed XP for hideouts. I haven't yet tried it yet myself, because I don't know if I want to put that much time in to grinding a single hideout alone for hours on end, but it might be an option.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Co-op missions are so much fun, especially the Hardcore ones (but Herd is loving hard for me). Using the No Holds Barred class makes leveling up in free roam actually good for something for once!

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I played a fine line between good and evil. My John was the kind of guy who'd cure cancer, but then burn down an orphanage, forever marring the achievement with an act of needless violence.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Nothing more infuriating than riding around for hours looking for a certain animal to complete a challenge. It's as infuriating but less rewarding as real hunting. Where the gently caress are the cougars so I can knife them! (I read the wiki)

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

jacert posted:

Nothing more infuriating than riding around for hours looking for a certain animal to complete a challenge. It's as infuriating but less rewarding as real hunting. Where the gently caress are the cougars so I can knife them! (I read the wiki)

You don't find cougars. They find you.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

jacert posted:

On the hill north of Hannigan's Stead by where the train tracks fork or at Repentance Rock. Both of those spots have so many cougars, you're liable to get shanked by a few of 'em while skinning the first one you kill.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

dexplosivo posted:

You don't find cougars. They find you.

The first time I used bait, I jogged a couple yards away and crouched down in the bushes. After about fifteen seconds of complete silence, I received a colonoscopy from three cougars at once.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I went to Hennigans Stead where I have run into cougars in the past frequently. I find one, get killed by him. I go back and have been running around the same area for over 20mins just waiting for that god drat noise they make. No dice. Arg.

edit: comedy option. the only cougar i've ran into around them parts was bonnie. rawr

Chicago Death Rate fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Many of the animal spawns are linked to the environment. In a lot of areas, cougars only spawn at dawn, and at dusk.

In other news, the most fun in the game for me is still the co-op missions but there's starting to be a real rear end in a top hat factor in the pickup groups (start The River, spawn on the raft, get shot in the back of the head at point blank range). Apparently "cooperative" is not a word for a lot of XBL players. Anyways, I'm trying to start the advanced missions now and they're really pretty challenging. So anybody who wants to hit those (Euro evenings and weekends) drop a line. GT: Alrindel.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
In the hills north of Hanging Rock, where the American Appetites quest leads, I have found a lot of cougars. You should look there. Those hills are loving deadly.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

ending spoilers

All you people saying you turned jack into a murdering killer are bad bad people, all john ever wanted was for his son to not grow up the way he did :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Mr Teatime posted:

ending spoilers

All you people saying you turned jack into a murdering killer are bad bad people, all john ever wanted was for his son to not grow up the way he did :(
Well it's not like you can actually go and become a writer like he wanted.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr Geek posted:

Don't read this unless you have 100%. This might be a foolish question but, why do you feel Jack is bad and not good? Because he grew up knowing how to ride a horse, skin an animal and fire a gun? I didn't get the sense that Jack was bad in the slightest, I figured he lived the good life with his mother up until she died and afterward didn't know what else to do besides kill the man who ruined his childhood and his family. Obviously I'm a completely different person in an entirely different time but I know I'm a good person and I would have done the same thing.

e: ^ I like to think he's Cormac McCarthy's father/grandfather. :unsmith:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 30, 2010

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

Well it's not like you can actually go and become a writer like he wanted.

You dont know that! :(

I mean the point of what john is doing the whole game is to get his family back and its pretty drat clear when your doing the missions with the son he doesnt want him to do the bad things he did, so turning round and saying "yeah jack kills people now" is pretty sad

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

In the Outlaws DLC, what is different in the advanced games besides being able to go in with all your current weapons?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

jacert posted:

I went to Hennigans Stead where I have run into cougars in the past frequently. I find one, get killed by him. I go back and have been running around the same area for over 20mins just waiting for that god drat noise they make. No dice. Arg.

edit: comedy option. the only cougar i've ran into around them parts was bonnie. rawr

I didn't know that 29 year old girls could be cougars.

Anyway, are there any beavers in Mexico? I need their fur for the mission with that guy who build his own "plane".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

GenoCanSing posted:

In the Outlaws DLC, what is different in the advanced games besides being able to go in with all your current weapons?

Expert aim and harder difficulty I think.

• Locked thread