Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Ace Oliveira posted:

Anyway, are there any beavers in Mexico? I need their fur for the mission with that guy who build his own "plane".

No, you can't complete that task until you go back up North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Regarding the whole minigames online idea, I think it'd be really cool if you actually had to wager something. Adding currency to the multiplayer would be kind of dumb, though, since its only purpose would be for gambling. So I had an interesting solution: you wager the experience you've earned.

Of course, there's gotta be some measure implemented to prevent someone from being an idiot and going all-in with a level 50 character and dropping to 1 in one fell swoop. They could make it so you can only bet experience increments of 5 levels at a time. Basically, in one game, if you're level 43, you'd only be able to wager enough experience to drop down to 40. If you did lose, and played again, you'd only be able to wager enough exp to drop down to 35, etc.

illionaire
Apr 18, 2005

It's all about the
Yenjamins,
baby

Mr Teatime posted:

You dont know that! :(

I mean the point of what john is doing the whole game is to get his family back and its pretty drat clear when your doing the missions with the son he doesnt want him to do the bad things he did, so turning round and saying "yeah jack kills people now" is pretty sad

Ohhh.. Now I feel bad for killing Ross's wife and brother.

... With fire.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

fennesz posted:

e: ^ I like to think he's Cormac McCarthy's father/grandfather. :unsmith:
I'm reading the Border Trilogy because of this thread and I like this idea a lot.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Just platinumed the game.

I don't know if there was more of an epic feeling than the final hunting mission. Walking up the mountain and knowing there was a super bear up there was one thing, actually seeing it, and its giant size/facepaint (or is it scarred?) is another.

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

Tall Trees is the worst. They might as well as called it Paranoia Mountain. All I'm trying to do is to pick some very pretty flowers for my survivalist challenge. Everytime I spot these flowers, I have to do several 360 views around my immediate area before I jump off the horse, run to the flowers, and then run for my life back to my horse before those grizzly bears appear out of nowhere and murder me.

The worst is when they trick me by sending out their sacrificial bait of a bear that stands out in the open. It's like they draw straws or something and the loser must sacrifice himself by standing out in some clearing, waiting for lone John Marston to blow his brains out so the rest of them can spring their trap. So sure enough, I end up blowing him away and then run up to skin him, thinking that was a "a little toooo easy", and BAM! 100 grizzlies run out of the woods and eat me alive!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
SO you can't change outfits towards the end of the game. WTF? How am I supposed to get sharpshooter 10 now :/

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

How the gently caress do I kill a bear with one shot holy gently caress. That is seriously like a nightmare - I let them get right in my face and put one between their eyes but they just won't die.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

the truth posted:

How the gently caress do I kill a bear with one shot holy gently caress. That is seriously like a nightmare - I let them get right in my face and put one between their eyes but they just won't die.
What are you shooting them with? The Buffalo Rifle will kill them.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

the truth posted:

Buffalo Rifle. Worked every time for me.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Pandanaut posted:

Just platinumed the game.

I don't know if there was more of an epic feeling than the final hunting mission. Walking up the mountain and knowing there was a super bear up there was one thing, actually seeing it, and its giant size/facepaint (or is it scarred?) is another.

Now do it in a thunderstorm. poo poo was epic.

And he was missing an eye.

Edit: And you can one-shot a bear with a buffalo rifle or a point-blank shot from the semi-auto shotgun.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the truth posted:

The pump shotgun in deadeye works perfectly too.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'll try it with the Buffalo Rifle next time, thanks. I'm done for the night - something about the graphics in Tall Trees is giving me a headache.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

rSkan posted:

Tall Trees is the worst. They might as well as called it Paranoia Mountain. All I'm trying to do is to pick some very pretty flowers for my survivalist challenge. Everytime I spot these flowers, I have to do several 360 views around my immediate area before I jump off the horse, run to the flowers, and then run for my life back to my horse before those grizzly bears appear out of nowhere and murder me.

The worst is when they trick me by sending out their sacrificial bait of a bear that stands out in the open. It's like they draw straws or something and the loser must sacrifice himself by standing out in some clearing, waiting for lone John Marston to blow his brains out so the rest of them can spring their trap. So sure enough, I end up blowing him away and then run up to skin him, thinking that was a "a little toooo easy", and BAM! 100 grizzlies run out of the woods and eat me alive!

Yeah they did that poo poo to me as well. I killed the one bear and was trying to skin it when another one came boiling out of the woods and attacked. Survived the first attack but before the 'getting up' animation was even completely finished, yet another bear swooped in to make sure of the kill.

No idea how they ever got that trading post built, they must be paying protection to the bears.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ace Oliveira posted:

I didn't know that 29 year old girls could be cougars.

This is the old west. If you're 35+ you're considered a grandpa.

It'd be awesome if it's revealed that Seth is only in his thirties (the frontier weathered him).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Good god, I'd forgotten how bad the wolves were in this game after a month or so of not playing. I was hunting foxes around Lake Julio, since I remembered seeing a few there (I think), and the whole time I was there I must've killed about 20 wolves. It seemed like every time I'd kill a pack a new one would show up before I could reload. Then one of those "guy getting chased by cougars" events happened as my horse was getting eaten alive by a wolf pack. I pretty much gave it up after that.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
..and while I'm ranting why the gently caress doesn't Chuparose not have a loving stagecoach. I loving hate Mexico. 2 stagecoaches in the entire country.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Stagecoaches? Heh. :smug:

Camping is the mans way of traveling.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

rSkan posted:

Haha, I know what you mean. I'd just picked like 10-15 flowers, and as I was running to the next area I find out that there's now four bears following me. However, I'm stupid and instead of going "oh god why are there four of them" I went "HEH, I can take 'em" then proceeded to die violently after I got the first one down.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Remmiz posted:

Stagecoaches? Heh. :smug:

Camping is the mans way of traveling.
Ridin' there yourself on a horse is the man's way of traveling. I'm on my second playthrough and I've made it a point to never use any sort of fast travel. Just me and the wilderness, yessiree.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Ridin' there yourself on a horse is the man's way of traveling. I'm on my second playthrough and I've made it a point to never use any sort of fast travel. Just me and the wilderness, yessiree.

Yeah I did that my first playthrough. Although I think I'm going to start another one deriving all of my funds from gambling or robbing banks. Speaking of which, is there any way of actually robbing a train? Or is killing the conductor and watching it skid to a halt as good as it gets?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Just finished the game, and I gotta say killing Ross with the pistol he gave to John was satisfying. I also had the ending ruined for me, which is disapointing, but I like to think that John knew full well that he wouldn't get a happy ending, so I was feeling the same dread he was...or something

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:dance:

I just carved up a wolf and got vittles!

I love this game.

Also, gently caress the level 10 survivalist challenge. Bad enough I made it through the level 7 without getting assraped by Yogi, but now I gotta get 10 more flowers, and 2 of every other kind? Jesus.

Also, gently caress the level 10 sharpshooter one too.

Weirdest random event so far - 2 guys beating the poo poo out of each other at the top of the map. Literally follow the river ALL the way upstream on the left side of that mountain, and you will go very very far up there. There isn't any mission marker or anything, I just got lost.

Out in the middle of Bumfuck, Egypt is a pair of pissed off guys just loving beating the hell out of each other for a good 10 mins. One guy wins, and just starts the 4 day walk back to civilization :psyduck:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, gently caress the level 10 sharpshooter one too.

There is actually a super, super easy way to do this one. Go to a tavern and get behind the bar, pull out your gun, and everyone else will draw theirs. Then just pick them off. Make sure you have some dead eye refill items, and preferably use the automatic pistol. I shot every bullet except one clip of 15 since I am so use to reloading to prevent myself from loving up.

macka_x
Feb 3, 2004
Litany of Curses
So my free theme token arrived today for downloading the RDR trailer on XBox live. Possibly takes out the crappiest theme ever award for consisting of nothing but background of a random western street in red and black. All sub menus have no background at all. Thats it. Is this just limited to the Australia XBox live experience or did everyone have their time wasted?

Also, nice to note that the code expires today, the very day I was sent the code. The usual rushed shambles of a promo.

macka_x fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 30, 2010

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Just finished the game, and I gotta say killing Ross with the pistol he gave to John was satisfying. I also had the ending ruined for me, which is disapointing, but I like to think that John knew full well that he wouldn't get a happy ending, so I was feeling the same dread he was...or something

I think John knew he was going to die. He wanted to get his family out of the government's hands so he could spend some last few moments with them and protect them for when he knew the government would be coming for him. If he didn't hunt down Dutch, Williamson, and whatshisface, they'd have killed him anyways, and then his family would still be with them. He was just making the situation as best as he could.

This makes it sadder when you realize John was cramming as much education about how to live into Jack as he could because he knew that soon he'd be the only man in the family. :smith: Didn't John also mention a few times that he knew he wouldn't be at his ranch very long? I might be totally wrong on that one.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
This is my story. I call it "trains are cool".

trains are cool
As I was giving Seth a ride on his corpse wagon some bandits started chasing us. The trail we were following happened to be adjacent to the railroad, and there just so happened to be a train choo-choo'ing alongside us just minding it's own business. I decided to veer off the trail and cut past the train to see if the bandits would give up the chase.

Nope, the leader of the pack followed me and was struck by the train. The :horse: and his :bahgawd: had exploded into a fine bloody mist.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Trains feel like such a large disappointment in this game. They're tiny, as soon as you pull your gun out they stop moving, and they're not in multiplayer. At all. So much for my dreams of teaming up with friends to rob trains out in the wilderness where nobody can see.

It's still really, REALLY cool that you can jump from a horse onto a moving train, though.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Bloodcider posted:

In the hills north of Hanging Rock, where the American Appetites quest leads, I have found a lot of cougars. You should look there. Those hills are loving deadly.
This, Plainview and around Fort Mercer.
Use bait, run and they will come

Damone
May 3, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I think John knew he was going to die. He wanted to get his family out of the government's hands so he could spend some last few moments with them and protect them for when he knew the government would be coming for him. If he didn't hunt down Dutch, Williamson, and whatshisface, they'd have killed him anyways, and then his family would still be with them. He was just making the situation as best as he could.

This makes it sadder when you realize John was cramming as much education about how to live into Jack as he could because he knew that soon he'd be the only man in the family. :smith: Didn't John also mention a few times that he knew he wouldn't be at his ranch very long? I might be totally wrong on that one.

I remember John constantly telling Jack he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lines like: "Are you going to leave again Pa?" Were usually replied by John with a no. I think he really thought for a moment, he was done and could lead an honest live.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Damone posted:

I remember John constantly telling Jack he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lines like: "Are you going to leave again Pa?" Were usually replied by John with a no. I think he really thought for a moment, he was done and could lead an honest live.

But then again he didn't seem all that surprised when he realized who was coming at that fateful evening. I think he just wanted to have his final piece of normal, peaceful life with his wife and son, like the calm just before a storm. I believe he certainly knew it was very possible for Ross to kill him just because.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

dexplosivo posted:

From what I've been seeing online, apparently you can clear out your system cache, go in to RDR and refuse the update (because it did nerf that XP), head in to System Link multiplayer alone, and get un-nerfed XP for hideouts. I haven't yet tried it yet myself, because I don't know if I want to put that much time in to grinding a single hideout alone for hours on end, but it might be an option.

How exactly does one clear out the system cache?

If I decide not to what is now the fastest way to gain XP, just doing Coop missions?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
SON OF A BITCH!

Man I am getting tired of the game glitches in this game. I love it, but god drat they are annoying.

I loving finally get sharpshooter level 10, SAVE my goddamned game, even go so far as to activate a horse deed. Naturally when a bear loving slaps the soul from my body, I DON'T HAVE THAT ACHIEVEMENT ANYMORE!!!!! I reload the save, and poof, it's still gone!

If that isn't the most annoying part of it, it was swiftly followed by The Wronged Woman stranger mission loving up. It wouldn't let me duel the guy, and when I left town it told me I failed, but it won't prompt me to duel him again. If I kill and rob him, well... exactly nothing happens other than me earning a bounty.

:argh: drat YOU ROCKSTAR!!!

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Hilario Baldness posted:

How exactly does one clear out the system cache?

If I decide not to what is now the fastest way to gain XP, just doing Coop missions?

I should've qualified that: You can't clear the cache on the PS3 as far as I know, but on the 360 you can do it from the "Memory" section in System Settings by pressing Y for Device Options with the Hard Drive highlighted.

I haven't done much multiplayer yet, but probably a different hideout like Pike's Basin. Others probably have a better method, but with a second person to blow weapon caches it's something like 1800 xp in a few minutes.

Edit: I should mention you need something loving retarded like 330,000 XP to hit level 50. Even doing unpatched Twin Rocks runs at 1200 XP a minute it's going to take a loving long rear end time. God help you if you want to get a legendary character.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 30, 2010

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

But then again he didn't seem all that surprised when he realized who was coming at that fateful evening. I think he just wanted to have his final piece of normal, peaceful life with his wife and son, like the calm just before a storm. I believe he certainly knew it was very possible for Ross to kill him just because.

Of course he wasn't surprised, he didn't have any enemies left at that point besides the government. It's not that he knew they were coming, they were just the only possibility left at that point.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
Bears.
Explaint o me why bears travel in packs of 9-12? I finish up the kill 3 bears with one shot thing, and find myself fighting off another 6 or 7 of them. Later on, getting level 10 treasure, i run into another 9 or 10 of them, all charging me in single file 3 or 4 seconds apart. I can't believe I hate bears now more than cougars. Knifing one will be impossible at this rate.

Also, horses. i did 17 missions with a hourse. Then I got that nice white one from mexico. Then I did another 16 or 17 when it got killed, and now I'm on some brown one. I don't have 20 missions left in the game ... so, am i now SOL for getting the 20 mission on same horse trophy? I don't really understand how it works, because my white horse has doed a lot of times, but once a bear gets ahold of it, it's gone forever? :wtc:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Catpants McStabby posted:

Bears.
Explaint o me why bears travel in packs of 9-12? I finish up the kill 3 bears with one shot thing, and find myself fighting off another 6 or 7 of them. Later on, getting level 10 treasure, i run into another 9 or 10 of them, all charging me in single file 3 or 4 seconds apart. I can't believe I hate bears now more than cougars. Knifing one will be impossible at this rate.

Also, horses. i did 17 missions with a hourse. Then I got that nice white one from mexico. Then I did another 16 or 17 when it got killed, and now I'm on some brown one. I don't have 20 missions left in the game ... so, am i now SOL for getting the 20 mission on same horse trophy? I don't really understand how it works, because my white horse has doed a lot of times, but once a bear gets ahold of it, it's gone forever? :wtc:

You can replay missions, I'm pretty sure, somewhere in the pause menu or something like that? I'm pretty sure that works.

Also, as for the bear things, gently caress if I know, but I once killed five of them that came at me one after the other because I killed one of them and skinned it and then I got ambushed by three all at once as I waited for my horse to arrive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the Endless Bear Hordes may be a bug, but I hope they don't patch it out. It's hilarious.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

ruddiger posted:

This is the old west. If you're 35+ you're considered a grandpa.

It'd be awesome if it's revealed that Seth is only in his thirties (the frontier weathered him).

I always thought that Seth was actually in his thirties. I think it must've been his voice or how short he was.

Anyway, I'm gonna start doing the hunting challenges now. All this poo poo about hunting bears and other wild animals sounds way too awesome for me to just ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

rSkan posted:

Up near the Bear camp or whatever there's a random chest in a small clearing to the side of the road. When I first came across it I hopped off my horse to plunder me some free moneys when all of a sudden I got rushed by 3 grizzlies.

loving bears are cunning as all hell.

• Locked thread