Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ydaetskcoR posted:

Up near the Bear camp or whatever there's a random chest in a small clearing to the side of the road. When I first came across it I hopped off my horse to plunder me some free moneys when all of a sudden I got rushed by 3 grizzlies.

This actually touches on something that disappoints me now with sandbox games and, to an extent, games in general. "Special" treasures seem to be on the way out. I love finding some treasure chest tucked away in some ridiculously hard to find spot and I think "oh this probably has some cool gun in it or something" and it will just have like...4 bucks. What's the point in hiding treasure chests in cool-to-find spots only to just make them worthless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
There are special treasures in RDR, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

shadok posted:

No that's okay don't give me examples or anything.

As far as I saw there were no non-mission related unique item treasure chests in RDR.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Weirdest random event so far - 2 guys beating the poo poo out of each other at the top of the map. Literally follow the river ALL the way upstream on the left side of that mountain, and you will go very very far up there. There isn't any mission marker or anything, I just got lost.

Out in the middle of Bumfuck, Egypt is a pair of pissed off guys just loving beating the hell out of each other for a good 10 mins. One guy wins, and just starts the 4 day walk back to civilization :psyduck:

Same thing happened to me, but in Diez Coronas. Also, a boar chased me a around a woman drinking herself to death over a dead man's body in the hills north of Hennigan's Stead. I tried to get it to trample her, but no dice.

BonoMan posted:

As far as I saw there were no non-mission related unique item treasure chests in RDR.

He's probably talking about the treasure hunting challenges.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

shadok posted:

Where and what? The only "special treasures" I know of are those that are part of the Treasure Hunter challenges, and technically they're part of a mission series. I guess a few odd outfit scraps could count as special, or the random chests that contain $20 or a little more. Maybe the cabinets that have ammo in them?

As far as I know there are no random weapon pick-ups or items found in any chest that you can't just buy in a store.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hell I'd settle for something cool and story related. Doesn't even have to do anything...just maybe hint at some side story or something? I mean it's so easy to get money/ammo in the game that there just became no reason to ever mess with a treasure chest.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I'm in Tall Trees doing the 7th hunter challenge and picking some flowers for the last survivalist challenge when I'm ambushed by a bear. Knowing more would show up after killing it, I decided to stick around and wait for them so I could get the achievement for killing/skinning 18 of them. In the end I didn't get it because night fell and I got way too paranoid and freaked out being in the middle of the woods when it's so dark and with truck-sized grizzlies sneaking around me. :saddowns:

Fake edit: I got bearanoid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There is something kinda hinted at for a new story related mission.

Late game spoilers?

When you unlock tall trees/great plains/etc, there is a cabin out in the middle of Tanners Reach, where every time you go to it or near it, Marston sounds all creeped out about it. "This ain't right.." or "Where is everyone?", and the cabin is actually a pretty nice little cabin. Fires lit at night, etc. You can't save in it, but it's there. Kinda spooky. I thought it might be something they didn't have time to finish out, like a Tumbleweed mission or something.

Yea, it's reaching for something to be hinted at, but it's kinda fun/creepy at the same time :unsmith:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Late game spoilers?

When you unlock tall trees/great plains/etc, there is a cabin out in the middle of Tanners Reach, where every time you go to it or near it, Marston sounds all creeped out about it. "This ain't right.." or "Where is everyone?", and the cabin is actually a pretty nice little cabin. Fires lit at night, etc. You can't save in it, but it's there. Kinda spooky. I thought it might be something they didn't have time to finish out, like a Tumbleweed mission or something.

Yea, it's reaching for something to be hinted at, but it's kinda fun/creepy at the same time :unsmith:

He says that at a bunch of little "deserted" areas around the map.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

BonoMan posted:

Typically the places you find scraps for outfits at in early game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Whenever he mentioned something like that it was usually followed by an animal attack when I played through the game so I always figured whoever was there got wiped out by wild animals. :v:

Also I was excited when at the start of the game I was reading a newspaper in Armadillo and it mentioned there was a lodge or something along those lines for sale in Aurora Basin but when you get there you can't buy it. :( I wanted to live there as some kind of a deranged hermit who only comes out to stab bears in the face.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Late game spoilers?

I'm guessing it's in place for future DLC.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
With regard to those areas, there's one on the top of a small hill in Mexico. It's a half-ruined sort of small villa thing where John says "where is everyone?". It might just be me, but it looks like that building in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, where Eastwood sees that very young soldier dying amongst the wreckage of a cannon fire riddled building and Clint gives him his cigar.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I wasn't thinking of the treasure map stuff, I was thinking more of the outfit pieces that are in unique treasure chests, but maybe those don't count because they are "mission related". There are also at least two unlockable avatar rewards in treasure chests in the 360 version. If those don't count either because they're not in-game rewards then I guess you're right.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shadok posted:

There are also at least two unlockable avatar rewards in treasure chests in the 360 version. If those don't count either because they're not in-game rewards then I guess you're right.

How do you know if you get one of these? Do you get a notification informing you, or does it just become a new option the next time you open the avatar customization menu?

\/\/\/ I don't think I've EVER unlocked one then. :smith:

Edit: I must have since you get one from shooting hats off. Hmm.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a system notification, like getting an achievement.

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

BonoMan posted:

This actually touches on something that disappoints me now with sandbox games and, to an extent, games in general. "Special" treasures seem to be on the way out. I love finding some treasure chest tucked away in some ridiculously hard to find spot and I think "oh this probably has some cool gun in it or something" and it will just have like...4 bucks. What's the point in hiding treasure chests in cool-to-find spots only to just make them worthless?
This right here is where I think Rockstar screwed up. So you get these cool treasure hunts where you have to find these unique locations all on your own and by the time you get the first one, you know what to expect for the rest of them. The same animation of a taking rocks of a chest, opening it, getting another treasure map and another gold bar that's worth a little more than the last one. Not only that, you have to travel to a shop and sell the gold bar to get money. Why not just fill the drat chest with money at that point?

It could have been perfect. 10 randomized unique items for each of the 10 treasure chests. Maybe it could be a unique revolver used by a legendary gunslinger? Maybe it could have been a new outfit that has a unique perk/effect when you wear it? Nope. Gold bars every loving time.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Aren't there unique items for your 360 avatar hidden in some random/hidden chests?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rSkan posted:

This right here is where I think Rockstar screwed up. So you get these cool treasure hunts where you have to find these unique locations all on your own and by the time you get the first one, you know what to expect for the rest of them. The same animation of a taking rocks of a chest, opening it, getting another treasure map and another gold bar that's worth a little more than the last one. Not only that, you have to travel to a shop and sell the gold bar to get money. Why not just fill the drat chest with money at that point?

It could have been perfect. 10 randomized unique items for each of the 10 treasure chests. Maybe it could be a unique revolver used by a legendary gunslinger? Maybe it could have been a new outfit that has a unique perk/effect when you wear it? Nope. Gold bars every loving time.

Gold Bars are cool. Finding yet another stack of $200 is not.

Although I do think it would be cool if there were unmarked chests containing new weapons or tools. But you realize there are chests in the game that contain scraps to new outfits with added bonuses, right?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Would be cool to allow you to wear different hats, dusters and boots with your outfits. They could have different bonuses and be hidden in chests or given as mission rewards.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

meatsaw posted:

Aren't there unique items for your 360 avatar hidden in some random/hidden chests?

There's a t shirt in (end game spoilers I guess)your ranch if you go into the loft and open the chest there.

Don't know if there's more, that's all I've got other than the sombrero.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Can someone explain how to properly win mid-late game duels? All I got from the tutorial was that the right stick aims your shots but after I line up my shots my dude just waits for a bit then gets killed. I won the tutorial duel and a few in armadillo but now I'm in mexico and getting schooled; Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the left stick/trigger to win?

edit: Also is it just me or are the co-op missions buggy as hell? I've played 2 and both were bugged: In the first one we were Mexican rebels raiding some place from a raft and at the last area when we spawned I spawned over the lake, immediately falling in the water to my death and had to wait out the round. The second mission I did we were supposed to put gold in a mine cart after raiding a mine then take it out, only the cart's path was completely blocked by a bunch of poo poo that no ammount of dynamite would move so we just had to quit.

oh yeah, I played a third one too: Blow up a mexican army base with dynamite after killing a bunch of dudes with cannons. After completing all of the objectives and hitting the dynamite plunger it blew up the base AND 3/4 members of our team, despite all being at the plunger and what I would assume is a safe distance away, at least we won that mission even though we mostly died.

Free roam is fun until you come across some sniper camping you but gently caress the missions are buggy as hell, I don't know how anyone ranks up in mplayer.

doo doo thief fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 30, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

doo doo thief posted:

Can someone explain how to properly win duel? All I got from the tutorial was that the right stick aims your shots but after I line up my shots my dude just waits for a bit then gets killed.
Left trigger pulls out your gun. Use the stick to move the cursor around. Press the right trigger to mark your shots.

The cursor needs to be white for you to place the marker. If it's red, you aren't going to actually place a marker.

The bars on the bottom-right represent the duel power or whatever you want to call it. The person's bar with the highest duel power will win the duel. You just need to aim for key areas to make that bar go up really high. Head and neck and chest = higher bar power, hands and feet = lower bar power, you know, that sort of thing.

In all duels, except for the story mission duels, marking their gun will automatically make you win the duel. You will shoot the gun out of their hand and gain Honor (because you didn't kill them).

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 30, 2010

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
To win duels, just bring up the reticle as fast as you can onto their their gun hand or head. Then fire (right trigger) when the reticle is white. Your goal is to fill the meter on the right before they do. Firing when it is more white fills it up faster. Also a single shot on their gun hand while the reticle is while will fill it up completely (disarming them); however this doesn't always work in missions where you have to kill them in the duel.

e:fb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just thinking, what was the point of the binoculars? You only get them near the end of the game and they're never really useful then but then I can't think of any time they'd be useful earlier either.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

muscles like this? posted:

I was just thinking, what was the point of the binoculars? You only get them near the end of the game and they're never really useful then but then I can't think of any time they'd be useful earlier either.

I guess they could be useful for scoping out the terrain before you go in to capture a bounty or something but honestly I keep forgetting I have the things.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm new at this. I tried to capture some prisoners last night "HELP MY PRISONERS HAVE ESCAPED" and yeeees. I shot the old lady, and tried to knock out the lame man who was crip-walking around. I punched him a couple of times but he'd just run while I was punching. Once I saw "press triangle to tackle" so I did and I went on top of him, but then he got up. I tried again but he was killed by a pack of wolves.

I feel :saddowns: that a lame man managed to 'outwit' me.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday
I swear the bears in my game are now teaming up with other wildlife. There was a cougar along the road and I wasn't on my horse for some reason, so I pulled out my rifle and got ready to shoot it, when a bear runs up beside me and knocks me off of a cliff.

Then I was chasing a bear around trying to stab it with my knife for that one challenge when he leads me to his pig friend and then they both double team me and I die.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

Argumentable posted:

I swear the bears in my game are now teaming up with other wildlife. There was a cougar along the road and I wasn't on my horse for some reason, so I pulled out my rifle and got ready to shoot it, when a bear runs up beside me and knocks me off of a cliff.

Then I was chasing a bear around trying to stab it with my knife for that one challenge when he leads me to his pig friend and then they both double team me and I die.

BESTIALITY! :chord:

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
I wonder if those animals tag teaming are a intentional touch to the game, or simply a bug. I hope they are the former.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

rSkan posted:

It could have been perfect. 10 randomized unique items for each of the 10 treasure chests. Maybe it could be a unique revolver used by a legendary gunslinger?
That is a brilliant idea. I even know what legendary revolver to use: (supposedly) Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special.

Might need a bigger holster.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Im at 98.6%. All I have left to do is a few hunter challenges and 3 bounties.

The bounties aren't the problem. It's knifing that loving bear. 3 Days I have been trying to do this. Every time a second bear pops up as soon as i have engaged the first one and I get double pounced. It is really getting annoying.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Does anything ever come of the letter you have to mail at the end of the "California" stranger mission?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TheRealLuquado posted:

Im at 98.6%. All I have left to do is a few hunter challenges and 3 bounties.

The bounties aren't the problem. It's knifing that loving bear. 3 Days I have been trying to do this. Every time a second bear pops up as soon as i have engaged the first one and I get double pounced. It is really getting annoying.

Use your lasso.

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

fennesz posted:

Gold Bars are cool. Finding yet another stack of $200 is not.

Although I do think it would be cool if there were unmarked chests containing new weapons or tools. But you realize there are chests in the game that contain scraps to new outfits with added bonuses, right?
Yea but all you do is find yet another gold bar anyways, which you have to sell for cash. But I do see what you're saying that finding a gold bar is a little bit more fun than a stack of money.

Also, those chests only give you scraps of the clothing and their locations are identified by "Search (LOCATION)" in the clothing menu. Not much of a treasure hunt that's for sure. It's more like yet another boring task of pulling out your map, marking a waypoint, and going there to find a chest sitting nearby.

Anyways, it's not in the game but it would have been pretty cool if they had put in a few unique items in the treasure chest instead of the usual gold bar.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rSkan posted:

Yea but all you do is find yet another gold bar anyways, which you have to sell for cash. But I do see what you're saying that finding a gold bar is a little bit more fun than a stack of money.

Also, those chests only give you scraps of the clothing and their locations are identified by "Search (LOCATION)" in the clothing menu. Not much of a treasure hunt that's for sure. It's more like yet another boring task of pulling out your map, marking a waypoint, and going there to find a chest sitting nearby.

Anyways, it's not in the game but it would have been pretty cool if they had put in a few unique items in the treasure chest instead of the usual gold bar.

Yeah I kept the last 6 bars of gold I found. But then again I've had an odd fascination with solid metal ingots since I was a kid, don't ask.

In regards to your minimap/map simplifying things too much, turn it off. I did all of the Aztec Gold stranger's mission without the minimap and it made it quite a bit more interesting as well as challenging.

Again, I agree with you. It'd be cool to find an old, rusted flintlock pistol in a chest. Or you should have had to go find each rare weapon like you did with the Double-Action Revolver at the very least. Why? Because it'd be cool and more fun than going to a store and hitting A. Although weapons are arguably the only thing in the game you need money for, so I guess there's that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

Does anything ever come of the letter you have to mail at the end of the "California" stranger mission?

Nah, if you read the challenge info after you complete it, it just says something to the effect of "You mailed off a letter to his family, so they know how much they meant to him" or something like that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

fennesz posted:

Yeah I kept the last 6 bars of gold I found. But then again I've had an odd fascination with solid metal ingots since I was a kid, don't ask.

If you keep any of the gold bars and legendary animal hearts/parts until the very end they are removed from your inventory when you take over as Jack, except for the pelts for some strange reason.

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

the truth posted:

This is another thing that bothers me besides wishing for better awards on treasure hunts. Are there any stranger missions that are, you know, interesting or even worth doing? I think after I completed each one of them, all I could think was "That's it?" I guess it's supposed to tell a little story but I didn't find too many of them that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAL CONNOISSEUR
Oct 1, 2005

by T. Finn

Philip J Fry posted:

If you keep any of the gold bars and legendary animal hearts/parts until the very end they are removed from your inventory when you take over as Jack, except for the pelts for some strange reason.

I kept all of my gold bars when I took over as Jack

• Locked thread