Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Hmmm...it must be random then. Fortunately on this playthrough I made a save with everything completed, right before the final mission.

My next task is to finish the game, then get the Federal Bureau outfit so I can gun down Ross in rear end in a top hat bureau style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

If you keep any of the gold bars and legendary animal hearts/parts until the very end they are removed from your inventory when you take over as Jack, except for the pelts for some strange reason.

You must've had a bug, because I've 100%'d and I still have all the legendary animal skins and all my gold bars the only things I have to remember my pa.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

Hmmm...it must be random then. Fortunately on this playthrough I made a save with everything completed, right before the final mission.

My next task is to finish the game, then get the Federal Bureau outfit so I can gun down Ross in rear end in a top hat bureau style.

You can't get that outfit until you finish the game entirely. Which includes doing what you spoiler tagged.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

rSkan posted:

This is another thing that bothers me besides wishing for better awards on treasure hunts. Are there any stranger missions that are, you know, interesting or even worth doing? I think after I completed each one of them, all I could think was "That's it?" I guess it's supposed to tell a little story but I didn't find too many of them that great.
They just flesh out the world and the weird people in it. I enjoyed them all, honestly, but the best are definitely I Know You, Flowers For a Lady, and Eva in Peril.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

did i just meet god wtf

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

ydaetskcoR posted:

You can't get that outfit until you finish the game entirely. Which includes doing what you spoiler tagged.

I meant finish the main part, not 100% it. I'm pretty sure you can get it before you do the final stranger mission.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

You must've had a bug, because I've 100%'d and I still have all the legendary animal skins and all my gold bars the only things I have to remember my pa.

Yeah, I also have 100%'d the game, and I also kept all that stuff.

Stocking posted:

did i just meet god wtf

It was the Devil, man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

shadok posted:

It was the Devil, man.

Yeah, I brought this up earlier, and I guess it's open for interpretation... but why would you think that the Strange Man is God when the Devil would be so much cooler and more in keeping with the mood and themes of the game?

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Philip J Fry posted:

I meant finish the main part, not 100% it. I'm pretty sure you can get it before you do the final stranger mission.

Nope, it's 100% game completion, and that includes that stranger mission.

Wore Legend of the West outfit for that one because it's :krad:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

That is a brilliant idea. I even know what legendary revolver to use: (supposedly) Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special.

Might need a bigger holster.

I, for one, was disappointed by the game lacking a mare's leg.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I brought this up earlier, and I guess it's open for interpretation... but why would you think that the Strange Man is God when the Devil would be so much cooler and more in keeping with the mood and themes of the game?

I'll spoiler this just in case, but I'd love to be able to talk about this plotline without spoiler tags..

The Devil tempts you into committing evil acts. If anything he admonishes you for the evil you've committed, and raises a very real and excellent moral question: if you've killed dozens or hundreds of people how is it possible to become a 'good' person? Does saving someone from committing an act of adultery actually make you good if the blood of so many people is on your hands? (Simialar question: does Darth Vader realizing he's made an error at the end of Star Wars absolve him of the atrocities committed by his hand, and by the Empire he's supported? Apparently so in the Star Wars universe but that's never sat well with me.)

To me the strange man seems more like an angel of judgement, at least in traditional Christian mythology.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

im just amazed they managed to throw that in and it actually felt cool and atmospheric instead of cheesy/ out of place

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Stocking posted:

im just amazed they managed to throw that in and it actually felt cool and atmospheric instead of cheesy/ out of place
Considering his seemingly neutral stance on everything I always took him to be death

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
so whats the name of the final mission so I know when to save

also whats the easiest way to level to 50 in multiplayer?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Bum the Sad posted:

Cheating a week ago.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Bum the Sad posted:

Set up camp and save right after the climax mission for Tall Trees.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

dexplosivo posted:

Nope, it's 100% game completion, and that includes that stranger mission.

Wore Legend of the West outfit for that one because it's :krad:

Oh, you're right. I was thinking of the Marshal outfit that you get for beating all the US hideouts in 24 hours.

Bum the Sad posted:

Do as many 'G' missions as you can in Blackwater (I think there's only 2 or 3) and then all of the 'McD' ones. The last one for McD is 'The Prodigal Son Returns (to Yale)' and the next to last for G is 'Great Men Are Not Always Wise'.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 1, 2010

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007
He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence.

Carbohydrates posted:

They just flesh out the world and the weird people in it. I enjoyed them all, honestly, but the best are definitely I Know You, Flowers For a Lady, and Eva in Peril.

I personally thought Flowers for a Lady was a typical Rockstar bullshit move where they sacrifice the tone that has been consistent throughout the majority of the game for a cheap gag. I was actually quite surprised that the game didn't do that kind of thing more often.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

Considering his seemingly neutral stance on everything I always took him to be death

For some reason these ideas never occurred to me, I thought he was like a reflection of one of Marston's possible lives, if things had been different.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
God, Allende is such an rear end in a top hat. Not only is he a fascist dictator, but he also makes his men find women for him to rape. It's disgusting, but it makes him a worse villain than most villains that you'd in a video game. He's also smug as hell.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Bum the Sad posted:

Spam Pike's Basin. If you go solo it's worth 1900-2000 XP a pop, and relatively easy if you have a sniper rifle. A bonus is that the Evans Repeater is in a tent by one of the crates you're supposed to blow up.

or go to El Presidio and become a public enemy, and shoot the gently caress out of the Mexican Army with the cannons. This can be addicting, but it will also gain some unwanted attention from other players who'll want to kill you

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
You only get 5xp a pop for killing the Mexican army though and yeah you'll have to hold out against players after a while as well because cashing in on bounties at El Presidio can be a pretty quick way to level up (not to mention hilariously funny to snipe a dude off a cannon straight after joining the free roam session and then pocketing the $3k bounty).

It's not a good way to level up in anyway.

Stick to grinding the gently caress out of the hideouts I guess. If you're any good at the competitive multiplayer modes you can earn almost as much as grinding hideouts with less repetitiveness but sometimes than can vary wildly depending on the quality of your team mates and enemies.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Tewratomeh posted:

I assumed it was God because he seems so quietly pissed about John's past and is offering a chance (a last chance?) to do better. I think you can read it a bunch of ways though and none of them are necessarily right.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dr.Smasher posted:

or go to El Presidio and become a public enemy, and shoot the gently caress out of the Mexican Army with the cannons. This can be addicting, but it will also gain some unwanted attention from other players who'll want to kill you

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to kill someone doing this last night. El Presidio is like a drat castle, if the guy didn't blast me with the cannons on my approach and I made it in, he could run and hide in the windowless store room with a shotgun and shred my face as I came in for him blind.

Presidio's really a bastard's camping spot but I expect the guy got crazy XP off of doing this for about an hour as he was good and held out without getting sniped. I finally would have gotten the fucker but the mexican army stole my kill after I caught the guy in the open and plugged him twice. Think everyone moved on after that.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

ydaetskcoR posted:

You only get 5xp a pop for killing the Mexican army though and yeah you'll have to hold out against players after a while as well because cashing in on bounties at El Presidio can be a pretty quick way to level up (not to mention hilariously funny to snipe a dude off a cannon straight after joining the free roam session and then pocketing the $3k bounty).

It's not a good way to level up in anyway.

Stick to grinding the gently caress out of the hideouts I guess. If you're any good at the competitive multiplayer modes you can earn almost as much as grinding hideouts with less repetitiveness but sometimes than can vary wildly depending on the quality of your team mates and enemies.

Depends on the kinds of kill chains you get, I guess. I was getting 20 XP for every Federale I was blowing up multiple times

plus the 75 I got for blowing up the 3-man posse that tried to run in while I was doing my thing. that was great blasting them on their horses

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Hal Gill username posted:

I assumed it was God because he seems so quietly pissed about John's past and is offering a chance (a last chance?) to do better. I think you can read it a bunch of ways though and none of them are necessarily right.

I'm still of the opinion that the Stranger being God makes no sense, seeing as how making the "moral" decisions has him tell John they won't ever meet again. It makes way more sense for him to be the Devil in that case. I've never helped the guy get laid/robbed the nun, though, so I don't know if that's just his boilerplate response.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

doo doo thief posted:

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to kill someone doing this last night. El Presidio is like a drat castle, if the guy didn't blast me with the cannons on my approach and I made it in, he could run and hide in the windowless store room with a shotgun and shred my face as I came in for him blind.

Presidio's really a bastard's camping spot but I expect the guy got crazy XP off of doing this for about an hour as he was good and held out without getting sniped. I finally would have gotten the fucker but the mexican army stole my kill after I caught the guy in the open and plugged him twice. Think everyone moved on after that.

Use dynamite. This is the solution to any problem in free roam when someone is camping. The explosions will easily blow through the walls. You can even chuck dynamite on to the roof in Blackwater from the ground if you get it just right.

Hell, in El Presidio you can jump on a couple of the cannons and just fire at that building and the explosions will kill anyone inside there easily.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Man, Tall Trees sure is a beautiful zone. Good-looking trees, wildlife in the background, atmospheric guitar, heavy breathing. Wait, my horse doesn't

BWUUUUURH! DEAD

Bears are loving terrifying.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Hal Gill username posted:

Indeed. For instance, I think he's just some dude and the only reason I didn't kill him at the end was because I drank a whole bunch in Blackwater right before doing that mission so I probably missed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Indeed. For instance, I think he's just some dude and the only reason I didn't kill him at the end was because I drank a whole bunch in Blackwater right before doing that mission so I probably missed.

Ugh, the ending where he shoots at him is such a lovely one. Does it change if you do bad things instead of good?

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

I'm in Blackwater and cleaning out the people at the poker table there seems to be almost impossible. I'm not too bad at poker but I'm getting some really bad, bad cards all the time and it really stands out. It's unusual because I can never even land a pair a quarter of the time.

It got to be such bullshit that I left the table, calmly put on my bandana, and threw a stick of dynamite on the table and blew all the other players to pieces.

Maybe I just suck?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Judge Holden posted:

I personally thought Flowers for a Lady was a typical Rockstar bullshit move where they sacrifice the tone that has been consistent throughout the majority of the game for a cheap gag. I was actually quite surprised that the game didn't do that kind of thing more often.

I didn't see it that way at all. I called it after meeting the guy that gives you the mission. What I personally like about the game is the way almost all the stranger missions are pretty dark or depressing. It really polarizes the "romance" of the wild west. It really would be a very very poo poo time to be around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

midge posted:

I didn't see it that way at all. I called it after meeting the guy that gives you the mission. What I personally like about the game is the way almost all the stranger missions are pretty dark or depressing. It really polarizes the "romance" of the wild west. It really would be a very very poo poo time to be around.

I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honor, the nobility. But it turns out it's just people killing each other!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honor, the nobility. But it turns out it's just people killing each other!

It really does boil down to that line. I've never been remotely interested in that part of history and don't even possess the basic history that North Americans seem to learn in grade school (I'm a brit). Yet Rockstar made what I can appreciate to be a quasi-realistic interpretation of it. I've also really enjoyed the RDR-wiki some of the insight and references are pretty engaging. Such as the trophy reference to the whole "killing the buffalo to starve the Indians".

It's actually made me pine for some of the movies my dad used to watch!

midge fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 1, 2010

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007
He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence.

midge posted:

I called it too, but I still thought it was a cheesy move. Spoilers about stranger missions and the rest of the game in general ahoy: Cannibilism, sure. Going mad from eating cactus and wanting to see California, sure. A guy who wants to gently caress a horse, sure (well, maybe not). But "A Rose For Emily" in a shack that's basically played for laughs is far and away a different tone--and a cheaper one at that-- than the rest of the game, even the portions about grave-robbing. For me it undermined the seriousness that the game was striving for elsewhere. A game that is trying to tell a story about the grim demise of an era in exchange for another that achieves the same violent ends through a different methodology is ill-served by a necrophilia joke shoe-horned in. It would have been much better if she were buried in the back-yard and the husband just couldn't admit it to himself, but instead it's a painfully lingering shot of a silly-looking corpse and "hey man stay for tea she makes great tea." This is probably the first game that has come along that actually treated nudity and sex in a borderline grown-up way, it has a strong story about the emotional ties that are formed through family and violence, it does an excellent job of world-building and using that world to build its themes, but every once in awhile there's this outright adolescent bullshit that kills all emotional investment. I don't know, that's the one moment that left a really bad taste in my mouth and totally pulled me out of my suspension of disbelief.

But I'm one of those "games should be trying harder to be art" assholes, so by all means ignore me.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Ugh, the ending where he shoots at him is such a lovely one. Does it change if you do bad things instead of good?

I'd also like to know. If it doesn't, what was the point?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Judge Holden posted:

I called it too, but I still thought it was a cheesy move. Spoilers about stranger missions and the rest of the game in general ahoy: Cannibilism, sure. Going mad from eating cactus and wanting to see California, sure. A guy who wants to gently caress a horse, sure (well, maybe not). But "A Rose For Emily" in a shack that's basically played for laughs is far and away a different tone--and a cheaper one at that-- than the rest of the game, even the portions about grave-robbing. For me it undermined the seriousness that the game was striving for elsewhere. A game that is trying to tell a story about the grim demise of an era in exchange for another that achieves the same violent ends through a different methodology is ill-served by a necrophilia joke shoe-horned in. It would have been much better if she were buried in the back-yard and the husband just couldn't admit it to himself, but instead it's a painfully lingering shot of a silly-looking corpse and "hey man stay for tea she makes great tea." This is probably the first game that has come along that actually treated nudity and sex in a borderline grown-up way, it has a strong story about the emotional ties that are formed through family and violence, it does an excellent job of world-building and using that world to build its themes, but every once in awhile there's this outright adolescent bullshit that kills all emotional investment. I don't know, that's the one moment that left a really bad taste in my mouth and totally pulled me out of my suspension of disbelief.

But I'm one of those "games should be trying harder to be art" assholes, so by all means ignore me.

Not at all. I think necrophilia is a little overkill. How can other levels of questionable sanity be "acceptable" yet this is not? In a time when making a friend would be fairly hit and miss (given the questionable morals of most) hanging onto the one companion you had through sheer illusion is preferable to riding to the nearest city and trying to make new friends; insane or not!

In addition, sometimes a little light relief is required in any medium when the subject can be harrowing.

I'm dragging out the last two missions simply because I'm not ready for the end yet. I've avoided spoilers as best I could, but the writing is on the wall (meaning internet!).

EDIT : I think I'll start my movie spree with this

midge fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 1, 2010

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007

midge posted:

Not at all. I think necrophilia is a little overkill. How can other levels of questionable sanity be "acceptable" yet this is not? In a time when making a friend would be fairly hit and miss (given the questionable morals of most) hanging onto the one companion you had through sheer illusion is preferable to riding to the nearest city and trying to make new friends; insane or not!

In addition, sometimes a little light relief is required in any medium when the subject can be harrowing.

I'm dragging out the last two missions simply because I'm not ready for the end yet. I've avoided spoilers as best I could, but the writing is on the wall (meaning internet!).

The story has plenty of comic relief that doesn't sacrifice the overall tone; the professor, Irish, and Seth are just a few examples. You don't see Tuco in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly stop off to gently caress a corpse, but he's plenty funny. Necrophilia is funny in a slapstick way, and particularly so in that scene, where the framing of the shot lingers purposely on the grotesquely smiling face while the husband talks about her as if she were alive. The reason that "A Rose for Emily" or McCarthy's Child of God work as drama instead of comedy is because they treat necrophilia with utter seriousness and both McCarthy and Faulkner tell their stories with a degree of respect for and tenderness toward their main characters. There's no punchline. Rockstar games have always been somewhat akin to a guy with tourettes and a penchant for dick jokes trying to tell a story with resonance, and they ALMOST purged that immature streak in this one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Judge Holden posted:

Wow, gotta be honest with ya, I didn't see it that way at all. For instance, I didn't think it was trying to be a joke. I found it a little bit unnerving and quite a bit sad. He was just a guy who couldn't let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

rSkan posted:

I'm in Blackwater and cleaning out the people at the poker table there seems to be almost impossible. I'm not too bad at poker but I'm getting some really bad, bad cards all the time and it really stands out. It's unusual because I can never even land a pair a quarter of the time.

It got to be such bullshit that I left the table, calmly put on my bandana, and threw a stick of dynamite on the table and blew all the other players to pieces.

Maybe I just suck?

You might suck. But here's some tips. Save at the top, then go down and play with the Elegant Suit. Get caught cheating. Win the duel, and continue cheating, getting caught, and killing players until there is only one left.

The AI generally doesn't bluff. Just play it safe, start stringing them along when you've got a winning hand, and it shouldn't take too long. Don't play it like a real game, the AI isn't that advanced. You get the hang of it after awhile just playing against one other person. You'll eventually get that scrap.

Speaking of Poker, I had a blast in single player tonight getting wasted, running into people, cleaning up at poker, then getting wasted again. I know how annoying the GTA friends were, but it made me wish I had friends I could call up in this game. Getting video game wasted with Packie was always fun for some reason.

• Locked thread