Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right now I'm thinking of throwing in a catch can in the PCV to help get the oil vapors out of the intake stream (seeing as DI engines can't clean the intake valves). Any opinions on which methods work the best to do this?

Also, as someone who is admittedly rather satisfied with the MS3's power level but at the same time wouldn't mind a little more if it's cheap and safe to the engine...are there any cat-backs that actually add any power without going crazy loud, or is it not worth the time and expense? I'm not looking to ever go to a bigger turbo or anything on that scale.

Finally...I'm starting to get annoyed with the condition of my car's engine/transmission mounts (I don't think they've failed but they definitely aren't all that firm). Any recommendations on what the best bang-for-the-buck ones are out there? Maybe sticking on the soft side, I do drive the drat thing 50 miles a day.

For reference, I have an 08 GT with MSCAI and air straightener, AWR 88 duro rear motor mount, Cobb shifter weight, and a Cobb knob. Catch can is also a worthwhile mod and its actually next on my shopping list, but haven't gotten a chance to do some reading. I generally look at Cobb first, which is mostly because they are local to me and support our club.

Which brings me to say, while I'm not the most knowledgeable on the big power mods, I am fortunate to have a very active, friendly, and sociable local community (and Cobb Tuning closeby) that answers a lot of my questions and saves time on research. In other words I've learned a lot since I'm friends with just about every MS3 driver in the DFW metro area, so I'll hear some firm opinions (ie Cobb vs Hypertech) on what to do with the car especially because people have different preferences on parts. They'll offer to take me on a drive and talk in depth about how a particular mod works. More importantly, that's also how I learned to really think about how much you want to put into the car, and to keep purchases in line with goals. In my case it's a daily driver, so I lean towards driveability.

A VIP account at Mazdaspeedforums.org is actually a good purchase for anyone who diy's mods (I'll pm you regarding why). stay away from *shudder*, 24/7. Only go there to post up parts to sell since it gets lots more traffic.

Catback imo is not a good purchase in terms of cost to power gain, it's mostly just for sound. A test/race pipe (think it's even called mid pipe) will have better gains and it's still pretty safe.

The mounts are pretty subjective too since the feeling and nvh isn't really quantifiable. If possible you should ask other locals (who already have them) to ride or drive their car. You should go with something softer based on your commute. I just suggested the mounts since a buddy on my local clubs forum showed me a dyno pull with a MS3 on stock mounts, but you could see what was going on under the hood. The movement was.. a little frightening to say the least.

air- fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
After owning my car for almost two years, I've got the mod bug pretty hard. But for some reason I can't make myself buy the drat Cobb SRI. Its the one I want, but I'm just scared it'll screw something up.

Everyone reassure me it'll be great so I can buy the drat thing already.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
If you can turn a wrench/screwdriver you'll be fine. Just handle the MAF sensor carefully.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Said screw it and went ahead and ordered it. Back ordered until mid-July :negative:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've got about a year and half left on my warranty, but I'm ready to start thinking about and planning some boost for my Mazda5. I was lead to believe that there were some kits available for the plain Mazda 3 that should be adaptable to the Mazda5, but I'm not finding much. What I do find is all shops I've never heard of, but maybe that's doesn't mean much.

I'm looking for modest gains here, nothing great. Just something to help the poor thing pull out of the lower RPMS. The Mazda5 is heavy, and an untimely upshift can leave you in a hole the engine can't really dig out of (we can talk about the somewhat retarded automatic some other time). So I'll need a turbo that spools quick, or maybe a supercharger. Driving though the mountains around Chattanooga the other week on my way to Florida (and then back) really demonstrated how wanting the engine can be. I'm really not looking for a racer, just something more drivable in daily type situations.

I was kinda interested in this:
https://www.f2usa.com/products/06%252d09-Mazda3-Supercharger-Kit-2.3-Manual-Stage-1.html

Besides the stupid-rear end "stage 1" nomenclature, it kinda sounds like what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Seems like a clever kit, but that video shows off some pretty prominant compressor surge. It's the fluttering sound when he lifts off between shifts. That sound is air being forced back over the turbine blades when the throttle plate closes. The kit says it has a bypass valve, but it may be set too tight.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

trouser chili posted:

I've got about a year and half left on my warranty, but I'm ready to start thinking about and planning some boost for my Mazda5. I was lead to believe that there were some kits available for the plain Mazda 3 that should be adaptable to the Mazda5, but I'm not finding much. What I do find is all shops I've never heard of, but maybe that's doesn't mean much.

I'm looking for modest gains here, nothing great. Just something to help the poor thing pull out of the lower RPMS. The Mazda5 is heavy, and an untimely upshift can leave you in a hole the engine can't really dig out of (we can talk about the somewhat retarded automatic some other time). So I'll need a turbo that spools quick, or maybe a supercharger. Driving though the mountains around Chattanooga the other week on my way to Florida (and then back) really demonstrated how wanting the engine can be. I'm really not looking for a racer, just something more drivable in daily type situations.

I was kinda interested in this:
https://www.f2usa.com/products/06%252d09-Mazda3-Supercharger-Kit-2.3-Manual-Stage-1.html

Besides the stupid-rear end "stage 1" nomenclature, it kinda sounds like what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
You will do this immediately.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Sublime Process posted:

Said screw it and went ahead and ordered it. Back ordered until mid-July :negative:

That's odd. I hear about people picking them up from the Plano store all the time, you may want to give them a call.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Just had my gearbox rebuilt under warranty by Mazda. WWONG WONG noise whenever I am driving slowly at full lock?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

My 2010 Speed3 does that when pulling out of parking spaces at full lock or close to it, I assume this is normal but I'll ask at my first change.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

You will do this immediately.

Oh god no, that just seemed a nightmare job to complete.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SynMoo posted:

Seems like a clever kit, but that video shows off some pretty prominant compressor surge. It's the fluttering sound when he lifts off between shifts. That sound is air being forced back over the turbine blades when the throttle plate closes. The kit says it has a bypass valve, but it may be set too tight.

Well, since I have an automatic transmission, I wouldn't see compressor surge happening as much, correct?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I suppose you'd see it less, sure. It's a problem that can be easily fixed by using a faster acting valve or a lighter spring/adjustment on the BPV.

Seems like a decent kit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Well, since I have an automatic transmission, I wouldn't see compressor surge happening as much, correct?

Sure, as long as you plan on barreling into every turn at WOT :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, as long as you plan on barreling into every turn at WOT :v:

What else would I do?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

What else would I do?

:golfclap:

What about sourcing some of the hardware from MS3/MS6 guys who decide the stock K04 isn't cutting it anymore? Seems like you could maybe get the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger, and the intercooler would need to be an aftermarket front-mount anyway based on what C&D found when trying to make the MS5.

I'm honestly kind of amazed how much grief they had integrating the wiring of the two cars together.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Take that with a grain of salt. They didn't give a lot of detail, and these could be guys that just plain hate copper. I know a lot of people that ignore the electrical side of the equation in all sorts of automotive applications and the end result is electrical tape, wire nuts and all sorts of weirdness. I'm not saying that these guys are fuckups, but for some guys, wiring to them is like paperwork to Rambo.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

CEL at 35xx miles in my 2010 MS3. Any common issues that I don't know about?

Heading to the dealer.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SynMoo posted:

CEL at 35xx miles in my 2010 MS3. Any common issues that I don't know about?

Heading to the dealer.

Well if it's anything like my Mazda5, you failed to torque the gascap to 150ft-lbs the last time you filled up and thus have a leak in your evaporative emissions control system.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

It has a separate light for that scenario, and I always click it several times.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

That must be new for 2010.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

P0300 - Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

Fan-loving-tastic. Probably just bad gas, but I've gone to the same station for 90% of my fill ups. I've driven it way harder on way hotter days than today on this tank, so who knows.

I was in 3rd at around 3500 RPM giving enough throttle to hold my speed in a corner before powering out. CEL flashed without any noticeable shudder mid turn.

I could clear it, but I'll take it to the dealer anyway to doument the issue incase there is something more around the corner.
That and the driver's seat is loose.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Sounds better than the cold weather fuel cut I used to get with my home-made SRI.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Try removing your gas cap and screwing it back on. That's (typically) what had caused the vast majority of CELs for me, so that's my first idea for troubleshooting. But take your car to the dealer for a code like that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Eugh. That is not fun. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

So, if I wanted to throw some bolt-ons (because I am a hopeless retard when it comes to doing any meaningful work on my car) to my 06 MS6, what should I look at? I remember the old Mazdaspeed intake was recalled because it caused excessive vibrations or some poo poo, but I imagine Cobb or whoever else makes parts has probably worked that out by now. I know the airbox is ridiculously restrictive, so I was hoping to throw some parts on and get some appreciable gains in, if nothing else, sounding cooler :v:

I'd check the other Mazda forums but I don't exactly trust their intelligence.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

Fan-loving-tastic. Probably just bad gas, but I've gone to the same station for 90% of my fill ups. I've driven it way harder on way hotter days than today on this tank, so who knows.

I was in 3rd at around 3500 RPM giving enough throttle to hold my speed in a corner before powering out. CEL flashed without any noticeable shudder mid turn.

I could clear it, but I'll take it to the dealer anyway to doument the issue incase there is something more around the corner.
That and the driver's seat is loose.

I agree, I don't see any reason why you want to clear it out. You have a warranty, it's their job to figure out why it went off, not yours.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
"The investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration involve more than 290,000 Mazda3s from the 2007-2009 model years and nearly 50,000 Z4s from the 2003-2005 model years." from http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsJKv-MjusjBQDClPwRWUA4ysU6wD9GMVJBO0

So... lovely. Would like to see a list of VINs.

Lilbeefer, dude who has his gearbox rebuilt, was there anything wrong with your power steering system?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

SynMoo posted:

They did as I suspected. Cleared the code, drove it around and let it go when the code didn't return. Could have been bad gas, moisture somewhere... whatever. At least it's documented if it happens again. They also said the seat having that bit of play was normal, and was different from the passenger seat since it doesn't have the height adjustment.

Can anyone with a 2010 3 please try rocking the seat back and forth (from behind it in the back) and see if the bottom moves when you move the top? Compare it to your passenger seat? Does the drivers seat move a bit more?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Need a good site for discounted oem Mazda parts, anyone have a link or two? Protege5 needs new ignition wires

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
2010 Mazda3, my first car I "own" and my first manual :3:

And yes I have fuzzy dice (it has pictures of my family in the sides of the die) :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK I know this is really fussy sounding, but my driver's seat squeaks on my 2006 3. It wasn't bad for a long time but lately it does it a lot and can be annoying for passengers. I took it to the dealer, where they have a TSB for that, but I guess it's not covered under warranty as it's maintenance or something? Has anybody encountered that? I don't want to pay $160 to lube up my rails...

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Battle Cattle posted:

"The investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration involve more than 290,000 Mazda3s from the 2007-2009 model years and nearly 50,000 Z4s from the 2003-2005 model years." from http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsJKv-MjusjBQDClPwRWUA4ysU6wD9GMVJBO0

So... lovely. Would like to see a list of VINs.

Lilbeefer, dude who has his gearbox rebuilt, was there anything wrong with your power steering system?

If I'm not mistaken the 3 from those years has electric power steering. The speed 3 is hydraulic. I do think the new revision of the speed 3 is electric though.

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

For anyone wondering about it, I just got my Hypertech ECU tune in last week. I flashed it once, and while it did remove the torque/boost limiter in first and second, the other gears felt slower. I reflashed again and it pulled MUCH better in every gear. 1-2 are now insane, and I don't feel like I'm just going through those gears to get to my fun third gear. Only other modifications I have are the Mazdaspeed CAI and a streetunit rear motor mount.

For anyone looking to get a little more pep out of their daily, I'd recommend it. I'll post some before and after dyno numbers up after I get her on there. I picked mine up for $350 off of truck add ons dot com.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How well does the Hypertech tune play with goat-piss gas (i.e. Arizona's 91 octane E10 poo poo)?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Need a good site for discounted oem Mazda parts, anyone have a link or two? Protege5 needs new ignition wires

MazdaMotorsport, but you'll have to "fab up" some results from a couple autocross events... :tinfoil:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Battle Cattle posted:

Not that I am aware of... just the "wong wong" noise from the diff on full lock, which I have read cam be remedied by decent diff oil...

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

How well does the Hypertech tune play with goat-piss gas (i.e. Arizona's 91 octane E10 poo poo)?

I have no idea. I run 93 gas 99.9% of the time. There are a few threads about it on mazdaspeedforums if you can wade through all of the poo poo posts. Quick search over there didn't bring up much for me.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Does the Hypertech have any of the gee-whiz features of the Accessport like rev-matching and no-lift shift?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Well I ordered that intake, but as I said, its backordered. No rush on it though, I'll be too busy to install it anyways; so the wait won't kill me.

But now I'm considering a rear motor mount. I'm not a race driver, I rarely flog the car and when I do, its only for a highway on-ramp. So, in short, I want a soft mount that'll do its job better than stock but still not vibrate me to death like a paint shaker. From what I've heard, SU's mount does a fair job but I've heard its common for heat to mess with them?

Could someone due a compare and contrast on CP-E's mount and SU's? I just about only know one's urethane and the other is rubber right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Does the Hypertech have any of the gee-whiz features of the Accessport like rev-matching and no-lift shift?

No. The Hypertech tune doesn't come with as many features as an AP.

Basically it's meant as a set it and forget it approach, which is part of the debate and why some (myself included) would have a problem with it. This product is for folks who don't wan't to learn the ins and outs of a very complex topic. Most people shouldn't be messing with mods, much less *tuning*, without fully understanding the changes to your car as well as the potential consequences. ronaldrape, are you also using a dashhawk?