Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eberron's had, what, three or four articles? And most of them are adventures?

Dark Sun is going to have more DDI support than that before it's even released. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The Alienist, the best paragon path

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Squizzle posted:

Eberron's had, what, three or four articles? And most of them are adventures?

Dark Sun is going to have more DDI support than that before it's even released. :cool:

I love Eberron too, but good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I'm so glad that you guys devolved into children begging for files and arguing over what to call halflings right after the nice developer showed up. God forbid we give the impression that we're not a bunch of total loving losers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

All I did was talk about psurlons and the uncanny effect.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Squizzle posted:

All I did was talk about psurlons and the uncanny effect.

You and MML are cool. It's those other jerks being dumb dicks.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I hope Rodney hasn't been scared away. :ohdear:

PeterWeller posted:

You and MML are cool. It's those other jerks being dumb dicks.

:hfive:

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Kerison posted:

Furthermore, your fundamental argument is one steeped in English words with English meanings. "Man-eater" is what you're being a geek about, and "man-eater" is what I said anthropophage does not mean. And I stand by it, because "man-eater", used to mean "human-eater" or "people-eater", i.e. the English phrase, is vague and therefore not useful as a definition. If you mean human-eater, say human-eater. If you mean people-eater, say people-eater. "Man-eater" means "an eater of men." Why confound the issue by pissing in your definition of "man"?

That you insist in trying to correct me is indicative of how much of a smarmy, pedantic, and unlikable douchebag you are.

How is "man-eater" vague in the slightest

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

PeterWeller posted:

I'm so glad that you guys devolved into children begging for files and arguing over what to call halflings right after the nice developer showed up. God forbid we give the impression that we're not a bunch of total loving losers.

Aw, that's just adorable. gently caress Rodney.

King Bowflexious posted:

How is "man-eater" vague in the slightest

In the sense that it means several things, depending on what you mean by man. I made that pretty clear in the post you quoted, so I don't know why I have to repeat myself, but since you apparently did not read what you quoted I will go ahead and say that again: man can mean either "male" or "humanity"!

Kerison fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 1, 2010

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

You're right, this thread used to be awesome, and I apologize for my part in turning into a cesspit.

Lets talk about how awesome Black Sun is!

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Kerison posted:

In the sense that it means several things, depending on what you mean by man. I made that pretty clear in the post you quoted, so I don't know why I have to repeat myself, but since you apparently did not read what you quoted I will go ahead and say that again: man can mean either "male" or "humanity"!

Yes "man" can mean either of those things. But "man-eater" refers to humanity, I have literally never heard it in any other context or definition. When people use the word "mankind" do you have the same reaction?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

King Bowflexious posted:

Yes "man" can mean either of those things. But "man-eater" refers to humanity, I have literally never heard it in any other context or definition. When people use the word "mankind" do you have the same reaction?

No, because "mankind" is not being attached to a foreign word's definition.

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Kerison posted:

No, because "mankind" is not being attached to a foreign word's definition.

Okay, that makes sense.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I played my second encounter ever last night as Yuka and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've been reading up on D&D for the last month, and listened to the PA and Robot Chicken pod/webcasts. I'm not sure why I'd never gotten into tabletop games before but now I'm putting together files for my first DM without even playing a campaign first.

Evidently Dark Sun is difficult and PCs die often, I understand that. But I'd like to ask for advice whether the DM who is running this encounter is loving with me because he doesn't like me or whether the encounter was designed like that.

We rolled initiative against 3 Dust Devils and a Lizard-caster guy. The lizard targeted me and hit me with a poison+ongoing. On my turn I ran over to him and jumped on the rock and successfully grabbed him, and immediately the DM rolled a primary attack(miss) then a secondary attack with maggots(hit) for 1d12+ongoing, broke my hold, and threw me 3 spaces into a silt pit.

Admittedly I have very little experience but that move seems ridiculous for a lvl 1 encounter.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Gin posted:

I played my second encounter ever last night as Yuka and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've been reading up on D&D for the last month, and listened to the PA and Robot Chicken pod/webcasts. I'm not sure why I'd never gotten into tabletop games before but now I'm putting together files for my first DM without even playing a campaign first.

Evidently Dark Sun is difficult and PCs die often, I understand that. But I'd like to ask for advice whether the DM who is running this encounter is loving with me because he doesn't like me or whether the encounter was designed like that.

We rolled initiative against 3 Dust Devils and a Lizard-caster guy. The lizard targeted me and hit me with a poison+ongoing. On my turn I ran over to him and jumped on the rock and successfully grabbed him, and immediately the DM rolled a primary attack(miss) then a secondary attack with maggots(hit) for 1d12+ongoing, broke my hold, and threw me 3 spaces into a silt pit.

Admittedly I have very little experience but that move seems ridiculous for a lvl 1 encounter.

The encounters are too difficult, it's just the way they were written. Chris Tulach has apologized for his brother's lovely encounter design:

angrylinuxgeek posted:

Chris Tulach just sent out a big e-mail the other day basically apologizing for his lil' bro who designed the modules. If your DM runs it by the book and doesn't really read the module ahead of time, people will die every week.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Gin posted:

Yeah, your DM made something up on the fly. Since you were poisoned, he could have slide you 3 squares & slowed you as a minor action, but there's no damage rider. But only on his turn, there's no reaction or anything.

On the other hand, he did go easy on your group because the Magus had a Bust 3 that throws out 1d6+3 damage (my entire group got hit by this).

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Ok, fair enough. I like a few of the other players in the group so I wanted to know whether I should stick with this DM for the encounters. There are other DMs and other local stores I could go to instead, but I am having fun and learning a lot.

Anybody have a copy of that email?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here's a thread for Dark Sun Encounters Q&A started by the module's author.

http://community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons/go/thread/view/91301/24970169/Ask_the_Author_%28Fury_of_the_Wastewalker%29?pg=1

Knock yourselves out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kerison posted:

Aw, that's just adorable. gently caress Rodney.

I know man. gently caress that guy from WotC who joined SA specifically so we can talk to him about Dark Sun. Let's sperg about semantics some more. You're a loving treasure, Kerison.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

PeterWeller posted:

I know man. gently caress that guy from WotC who joined SA specifically so we can talk to him about Dark Sun. Let's sperg about semantics some more. You're a loving treasure, Kerison.

Thanks bro, I love you too. Would you have preferred a more direct "gently caress you"? I mean, it's not like you can just snipe at me without some sort of comment in return, so I don't really get what you're after here except more turmoil.

Kerison fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 2, 2010

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Also, Rodney is a professional and isn't going to tell you gently caress all that he isn't saying on every other forum he posts in, because he knows he'd lose his job. But by all means, suck his cock and beg for more. I specifically don't read those other forums because I can't stand developer fellatio. gently caress you for trying to turn TGD into that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just because we wouldn't necessarily get any information that other forums wouldn't doesn't mean it's not nice to have him here in the first place. We just want to ask him questions. Go take a nap, you're grumpy.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 days!
Soiled Meat
I'd like to say that jealousy doesn't suit Kerison.

Unfortunately, it's all he ever seems to wear.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Etherwind posted:

I'd like to say that jealousy doesn't suit Kerison.

Unfortunately, it's all he ever seems to wear.

You apparently don't know what jealousy is, Etherwind.
Or literally anything about me.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I heard kerison is a complete racist.

This is absolutely true.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Why are we bitching at Kerison when Etherwind, humanity's worst human, is in the thread again...?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Squizzle posted:

Why are we bitching at Kerison when Etherwind, humanity's worst human, is in the thread again...?

Because Kerison is the one being an agressive shitposter over the dumbest topics.

Kerison posted:

Also, Rodney is a professional and isn't going to tell you gently caress all that he isn't saying on every other forum he posts in, because he knows he'd lose his job. But by all means, suck his cock and beg for more. I specifically don't read those other forums because I can't stand developer fellatio. gently caress you for trying to turn TGD into that.

Kerison posted:

Thanks bro, I love you too. Would you have preferred a more direct "gently caress you"? I mean, it's not like you can just snipe at me without some sort of comment in return, so I don't really get what you're after here except more turmoil.

Look at these two, one right after another, going form "MY INTERNET HONORU~" right into pointless "no gently caress YOU dad!" Of course we're gonna focus on him more then Etherwind making a lame burn.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

I heard kerison is a complete racist.

This is absolutely true.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

shotgunbadger posted:

Look at these two, one right after another, going form "MY INTERNET HONORU~" right into pointless "no gently caress YOU dad!" Of course we're gonna focus on him more then Etherwind making a lame burn.

heh, honoru~

correction: no, as much as i wish to express how much of a douchebag you are for your insipid, no-nothing commentary by throwing hate speech at you, even i feel bad.

Kerison fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 2, 2010

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I get it now.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Squizzle posted:

I get it now.

Aw, Squizzle, no you don't. My trying to offer a word to somebody became arguing with an rear end in a top hat with a bad attitude, which became every other rear end in a top hat with a bad attitude's problem. I may have a bad attitude, too, but I'm certainly not the only one. What reason is there to be civil in uncivil discourse?

Kerison fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 2, 2010

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can was stop making the DARK SUN thread suck?

Let's talk about Thri-kreen. They're like mantis men who make weapons out of spit!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gas

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wait I started this thread

ffffffffff

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Aranan posted:

Can was stop making the DARK SUN thread suck?

Let's talk about Thri-kreen. They're like mantis men who make weapons out of spit!

Also, they don't need water, are the unwitting forward scouts of an advanced mantis-men empire, and represent the future of sentient life on Athas!

I dunno about that part, really. Ever since I read Mind Lords of the Last Sea, I've become convinced that unless the sun was drained again, some druids and some preservers and some clerics would be able to work together and keep a few pockets of life going almost indefinitely.

But I am a helpless sucker for hope like that. If I made a Dark Sun movie, it would end with the happy villagers dancing around the new flowing wells, while the wanderer(s) either walked into the wastes or looked on, "Seven Samurai"-style. :3:

If the main book doesn't come with rules for building and running villages, I hope there's a supplement for that. Because there should be. Because I'm frightened by combat and just want to draw floorplans and plant flowers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
They don't need water? That's news to me.

Bug men who don't need water or sleep and can make their own weapons out of spit and sand... they really are the future.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I think they still need water. All living things need water, apparently. They might not need as much, but I would figure they still need it and they'll be affected by dehydration just like anything else. Totally don't need to sleep, though, so they'll just eat the elf in the party and then just shrug when you ask him where they went.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kobold posted:

I think they still need water. All living things need water, apparently. They might not need as much, but I would figure they still need it and they'll be affected by dehydration just like anything else. Totally don't need to sleep, though, so they'll just eat the elf in the party and then just shrug when you ask him where they went.

They have to remain completely motionless for four hours, though, so if there are two elves they can take turns watching the Kreen.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also, the Thri-Kreen of the tablelands aren't part of the Kreen Empire. They are distant cousins to them and, if I remember correctly, are looked down upon highly by all the castes of the empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kerison posted:

Go back to hating black people or something and stop making GBS threads up this thread.

• Locked thread