Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, gotta be honest with ya, I didn't see it that way at all. For instance, I didn't think it was trying to be a joke. I found it a little bit unnerving and quite a bit sad. He was just a guy who couldn't let go.

Didn't stop me from bumping her head off and freaking him out.

Just finished up Mexico the other day, and was pretty upset by the lack of awesome song/mission to enter West Elizabeth like there was upon leaving New Austin. Seemed a little anti-climatic.

Then I went and murdered a bear in Tall Trees, and all was right in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Didn't stop me from bumping her head off and freaking him out.

Just finished up Mexico the other day, and was pretty upset by the lack of awesome song/mission to enter West Elizabeth like there was upon leaving New Austin. Seemed a little anti-climatic.

Then I went and murdered a bear in Tall Trees, and all was right in the world.

It's made up for it on the way to Beecher's Hope after the Dutch mission. And the credits theme isn't too shabby either.

Edit: In a non-spoilery fashion, there's another instance of it and it's pretty good as well.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

BodyMassageMachine posted:

There is a song. But it stops if you jump off your horse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TheRealGunde posted:

There is a song. But it stops if you jump off your horse.

Uh, there's no song at that bit, pretty sure. There's only two songs that play in the game and that's entering Mexico and heading home.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone offer tips for knife-fighting a bear? I can't seem to get in knife-range without being in front of it, and then it does a double-swipe that instantly kills me.

I know I can weaken it with gunfire first, but it still survives one knife slash and after that slash it immediately kills me.

Edit: Normally it hits me once, knocking me down and severely wounding me. If I touch it with the knife it knocks me down then dashes forward and hits me again, killing me.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 1, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Can anyone offer tips for knife-fighting a bear? I can't seem to get in knife-range without being in front of it, and then it does a double-swipe that instantly kills me.

I know I can weaken it with gunfire first, but it still survives one knife slash and after that slash it immediately kills me.

Try doing it on horseback. When I did the single player hunting challenges I did them the hard way on foot and died a lot, especially against the cougars. When I did them in multiplayer, I just rode around Tall Trees until I spotted a bear and then I selected the knife and rode that big furry mother down spamming the trigger. This worked for cougars as well.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

The Lone Badger posted:

Lasso stun it then circle round to its side, slash away and then repeat when it retreats to charge at you again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks, the jousting did it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finally figured out a god damned way to get that level 10 sharpshooter.

I crashed the poker game at Armadillo, took out 2 guys there, and wandered into the bar and took out the remaining ones :clint:

God drat that was horrible. At least I unlocked that "Legend of the West" outfit.

I think I have to win at 5 finger fillet and do a few more bounties, and I am done! 100% BABY!

Also, side note here. Bears don't only rape YOU in the game, or you and your horse. They also gently caress up anyone in the area. I had a bounty pop up in Aurora Basin, and 2 bears took out all but 2 of the guys shooting at me. Nothing like walking up and hearing people shooting at you, hearing that roar of the bear, and seeing it charge headfirst into a group of people screaming various curses and whatnot. The only thing better was seeing the survivors of the FIRST attack get mauled in the trees while running away because of another bear.

I kinda felt bad about killing em after that. I thought they had earned a bit of the bounty, but they tried to eat Mr Cloppity, and that poo poo don't stand, son. :clint:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 1, 2010

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
I'm setting out on an epic journey. Going from Escalera to Blackwater on foot. Going to be interesting to see what adventures occur.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda felt bad about killing em after that. I thought they had earned a bit of the bounty, but they tried to eat Mr Cloppity, and that poo poo don't stand, son. :clint:

I thought I was the only person who named my horse. Huckleberry and I have seen some exciting times together.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So is there anyway to reliably start a game of co-op? Every time I try I get stuck on infinite loading screens.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

El Seano posted:

I'm setting out on an epic journey. Going from Escalera to Blackwater on foot. Going to be interesting to see what adventures occur.

I've thought about trying that. Let me know how many in game days/nights it takes.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Within half an hour of starting this game I'd laughed my rear end off twice already. Once when I accidentally shot the guy I was supposed to be saving in the leg and he crawled off and died somewhere and I still got honor for it.

Second when I accidentally shot my own horse in the back of the head.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Cuddles posted:

Second when I accidentally shot my own horse in the back of the head.

I did this at least half a dozen times during the single player campaign, usually during a surprise wolf attack where I would panic and just start blasting away.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

It's even better when you're being attacked by one of those bandito "hide behind the stagecoach" groups and you hop off your horse, take a few shots at the little fellas, then decide "eh, gently caress this and gently caress these guys" and whip out the dynamite, hurl it, and then watch in horror as your horse, driven to panic by all the gun fire and running around like wild, runs into the blast radius of your dynamite and is turned into a ragdoll along with the banditos.

Rest in peace, Blanco Nino. Your death was hilariously stupid and senseless. My next horse will be named in your honor.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've thought about trying that. Let me know how many in game days/nights it takes.

It's surprisingly quick, I set off at about 8am in Escalera by 8pm I set up camp at Warthington Ranch and saved to get back to daylight. I was at Blackwater a few hours later. Even more bizarre is the game says it was only a distance of 7 miles.

Aside from a brief yet entertaining murder spree at the Macfarlane ranch because I accidentally shot a man and then had to kill a string of 4 eyewitnesses and the occasional cougar attack not much happened. Quite disappointing overall.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I have been busy and not paying attention and I now realize the free DLC came out last week... have any other PS3 goons not played it yet / only played it a little and want to do some rootin' tootin' co-op cowboy antics with me tonight or Saturday night?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Judge Holden posted:

The story has plenty of comic relief that doesn't sacrifice the overall tone; the professor, Irish, and Seth are just a few examples. You don't see Tuco in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly stop off to gently caress a corpse, but he's plenty funny. Necrophilia is funny in a slapstick way, and particularly so in that scene, where the framing of the shot lingers purposely on the grotesquely smiling face while the husband talks about her as if she were alive. The reason that "A Rose for Emily" or McCarthy's Child of God work as drama instead of comedy is because they treat necrophilia with utter seriousness and both McCarthy and Faulkner tell their stories with a degree of respect for and tenderness toward their main characters. There's no punchline. Rockstar games have always been somewhat akin to a guy with tourettes and a penchant for dick jokes trying to tell a story with resonance, and they ALMOST purged that immature streak in this one.

I think you're kind of reaching with the necrophilia interpretation, honestly. He just seemed like he couldn't let go. There was really no "comic relief" for me as I played out the end of that mission, just "whoa, this guy's lost it. Let's hope I get out of here without having to kill him."

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Lumpy posted:

So I have been busy and not paying attention and I now realize the free DLC came out last week... have any other PS3 goons not played it yet / only played it a little and want to do some rootin' tootin' co-op cowboy antics with me tonight or Saturday night?

Played them a lot but they're fun. PSN SaltySteve

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

sirbeefalot posted:

I think you're kind of reaching with the necrophilia interpretation, honestly. He just seemed like he couldn't let go. There was really no "comic relief" for me as I played out the end of that mission, just "whoa, this guy's lost it. Let's hope I get out of here without having to kill him."

That seemed to be Marston's reaction, too. He looked like he just wanted to get the gently caress outta there.

Anyway, where do I have to search to find the Bollard Twins gang outfit? All I need to do now is find the scrap at Thieve's Landing, but I can't find the scrap in there.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Lumpy posted:

I've not managed to get into playing them yet. I'll be around Saturday night. PSN : chatwood-

Ace Oliveira posted:

That seemed to be Marston's reaction, too. He looked like he just wanted to get the gently caress outta there.

Anyway, where do I have to search to find the Bollard Twins gang outfit? All I need to do now is find the scrap at Thieve's Landing, but I can't find the scrap in there.

Goto the outfit and select "track". This will give you a general location of the next scrap, no matter how you get it.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Ace Oliveira posted:

It's in a chest in the warehouse towards the entrance of town. Has big doors you have to slide open. I think guys shoot at you if you go in there, though, so heads up.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

El Seano posted:

It's surprisingly quick, I set off at about 8am in Escalera by 8pm I set up camp at Warthington Ranch and saved to get back to daylight. I was at Blackwater a few hours later. Even more bizarre is the game says it was only a distance of 7 miles.

Aside from a brief yet entertaining murder spree at the Macfarlane ranch because I accidentally shot a man and then had to kill a string of 4 eyewitnesses and the occasional cougar attack not much happened. Quite disappointing overall.

A little over a day? :I

That's too bad. I'm still going to try it. Thanks for the report! :)

Judge Holden
Apr 18, 2007
He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence.

sirbeefalot posted:

I didn't actually read it as comic relief; I was responding to midge saying that the scene was in the game as comic releif. Maybe I am going too far with the necrophilia interpretation, but I still read it as a moment of cringe-worthy cheese, a cheap attempt at sledge-hammer shorthand storytelling that fell far short of its goal. I'm a professional writer, and I often have to be an apologist among my peers for videogames, which I honestly think have the potential to elevate the way stories are told. Most of the time, though, developers are like "hey man look how hosed up this game is gently caress yeah whooo" *skateboards into the sunset*

Red Dead Redemption took an unconventional setting for a game, told a great story (that got a bit meandering in places and a bit repetitive in places, true), and did it without sacrificing its reason for existence (gameplay). There were a few moments, though, when I would be embarassed to show my colleagues the game, and that scene was one of them. It's one of those moments where I think to myself, "Eh, maybe Roger Ebert will be right for another few decades."

fake edit: I'm not really trying to start a thing here. I don't really have a super strong opinion about it. But we're here to talk about the game, and it seems more interesting than a dozen pages of "hey how do you knife a bear?" "use your lasso" "hey how do you knife a bear?"

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Judge Holden posted:

I didn't actually read it as comic relief; I was responding to midge saying that the scene was in the game as comic releif. Maybe I am going too far with the necrophilia interpretation, but I still read it as a moment of cringe-worthy cheese, a cheap attempt at sledge-hammer shorthand storytelling that fell far short of its goal. I'm a professional writer, and I often have to be an apologist among my peers for videogames, which I honestly think have the potential to elevate the way stories are told. Most of the time, though, developers are like "hey man look how hosed up this game is gently caress yeah whooo" *skateboards into the sunset*

I dunnow. I thought it tied in well to the themes of loneliness and "fruitless pining for what once was" I saw throughout the game.

I didn't get any kind of necrophilia vibe from that scene at all. Just another sad man out in the lonely west wanting to go back to a time that has obviously left him far behind.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Pretty much all the Stranger missions are undermining or inverting expected elements of romance and the Old West. In Flowers for a Lady you are sort of expecting that this is a lovely salt of the earth couple dedicated to each other and living a simple life out on the frontier. Then it turns out one of them is dead (I guess we decided not to spoiler this a while ago?) and the adorable old dude is another crazy after all.

It was sort of heavy handed but it's just part of the theme they have going through the whole game.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Do any of the Stranger missions have happy endings? Most of them are really depressing. I suppose Funny Man was pretty humorous, and he ended up OK.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
he gave up writing and probably wasn't going to do much better at whatever it was he figured he could do next. none of the stranger missions had unambiguously happy endings. maybe the one where the guy is so excited to get his horse back.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

maybe the one where the guy is so excited to get his horse back.
He's the only one who can be happy about the ending, though. He ends up marrying the horse. :gonk:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you get to the end of the game, make sure to buy a paper and read the marriage announcements. There is a horrible, yet hilarious tie in joke to an earlier one.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Finished the game today. I swear I could have taken those soldiers! Goddamn scripted deaths! I had a vat of Tonic and a sack of Vittles! Oh well, I thought it was a good ending to a great game.

I still wish the game paused or at least slowed down when you brought up the weapon selecter wheel thing though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hal Gill username posted:

Pretty much all the Stranger missions are undermining or inverting expected elements of romance and the Old West. In Flowers for a Lady you are sort of expecting that this is a lovely salt of the earth couple dedicated to each other and living a simple life out on the frontier. Then it turns out one of them is dead (I guess we decided not to spoiler this a while ago?) and the adorable old dude is another crazy after all.

Well, that was the only one of the stranger missions I hadn't bothered to finish yet, and I wasn't expecting that ending at all. It would've surprised, moved, shocked and/or disgusted me had I witnessed it firsthand without any knowledge of what was coming up. Ahh well, guess I can put off finishing it for a while longer now (I hate picking plants).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tewratomeh posted:

Well, that was the only one of the stranger missions I hadn't bothered to finish yet, and I wasn't expecting that ending at all.

Really? I saw it coming a mile away. In fact, after the first couple of strangers set the tone, none of them really surprised me except for "I know you" which confused me to the end.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Finally got and started playing this, and I have some questions:

-I'm about 20 minutes in and just finished the tutorial mission with shooting the animals. Do things pick up soon? All the other sandbox games I play get to the real action pretty fast, and this is taking its time.

-Do we find out exactly what's going on with John and Williamson? I'm hoping this is a game that fills in the blanks as things go on, because I feel very disconnected from what's going on so far, like the game actually started a while ago and I've come into the middle of it.

-This is more of a general Xbox 360 question, but my TV is messed up and cuts off the border of the picture, and in games like this with text in the corners it's very apparent and very annoying. I've played some games that allow you to shrink and move the image on the screen until it fits, but didn't find one in this. Is there one somewhere that I'm not seeing? Or is this a setting that can be messed with in the dashboard somewhere?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Behonkiss posted:

Finally got and started playing this, and I have some questions:

-I'm about 20 minutes in and just finished the tutorial mission with shooting the animals.
Dude, you're 20 minutes in. Slow your roll, chief. Going to give you a hint, though, do all of Bonnie's missions first. They're the "tutorial levels" so just get them out of the way (plus, you get something awesome from her). The game teaches you pretty much everything you'll need in these missions, and there is a LOT to do in this game.

quote:

-Do we find out exactly what's going on with John and Williamson?
Nope, he's never mentioned again.

Of course you do. This is a 20 hour plus game (without doing side missions). Give it more than 20 minutes, dawg!

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I'm also a PS3 dude that wants some hot hot co-op action.

PSN: TheJetCityFix

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Behonkiss posted:

-This is more of a general Xbox 360 question, but my TV is messed up and cuts off the border of the picture, and in games like this with text in the corners it's very apparent and very annoying. I've played some games that allow you to shrink and move the image on the screen until it fits, but didn't find one in this. Is there one somewhere that I'm not seeing? Or is this a setting that can be messed with in the dashboard somewhere?

I had that problem until I upgraded from the standard cables to HDMI.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Do non-spanish speaking RDR players just wander around with no clue what the citizens are saying in Mexico?

a japanese pop icon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

a japanese pop icon posted:

Do non-spanish speaking RDR players just wander around with no clue what the citizens are saying?

Yes. Also, in multiplayer, I like to use the female Mexican characters and spam the taunt button. No idea what she's going on about. I think I heard "culo" in there somewhere.

• Locked thread