Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Behonkiss posted:

-Do we find out exactly what's going on with John and Williamson? I'm hoping this is a game that fills in the blanks as things go on, because I feel very disconnected from what's going on so far, like the game actually started a while ago and I've come into the middle of it.

It's the usual rockstar 'man arrives in town with a shady past that he will slowly reveal over the course of the game' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Tumbleweed is one spooky town, but did you know it is ACTUALLY haunted? I just spent five minutes skulking around the mansion basement endlessly tormented by the voices of those I've killed.

After you cross the bridge before you enter town, veer left up the path until you see the windmill. Once you're at the windmill, slide down and head near the barn, then go into the mansion. You will hear voices and even run into invisible people.

What I think happened:

What I'm guessing happens is that the criminals are already pre-loaded into their spots in Tumbleweed, but just invisible. When you walk into town you trigger the criminals to decloak and spawn. However, if you walk into town from a different direction you won't trigger the criminals to decloak, but they'll still be there. You can bump into them and they'll still say stuff if you go near them or shoot. I lit up the basement in dynamite and didn't see any blood/bodies, so I assume they're invincible as well.

If you approach Tumbleweed you'll trigger the criminals to spawn in town and in the mansion. Curiously, the criminals in the mansion seemed to be initially friendly to me. This is also a really hassle free way to complete the third treasure hunt mission

Can anyone else duplicate this?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the thread posted:

flowers for a lady

Really the payoff is in how excited John is to finally do some right in the world and there's a point in the reveal you can tell he's just "So this is how it's going to be, World. Alright. Whatever."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can I get the Kill 500 People with a Mounted Weapon achievement by using that mounted gun above your one safe house I think is in Matadero? It's the last single player achievement I need.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm going to be on playing some multi, I just got this thing so I don't know what's going on.

GT: Euron Greyjoy

Which metatags still have room?

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

ruddiger posted:

Can I get the Kill 500 People with a Mounted Weapon achievement by using that mounted gun above your one safe house I think is in Matadero? It's the last single player achievement I need.

Yes, any mounted weapon (Gatling, Maxim, Cannon) works.

If you have a buddy to help out, you can go to El Presidio in Free Roam and take turns on the Gatling by the front gate. Kill the soldiers in the fort and Mexican soldiers will start spawning and riding straight at the gun. The person not on the Gatling keeps watch over the rear door, since otherwise the occasional soldier sneaks in that way.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

ruddiger posted:

any mounted gun in any mode. Gatling gun above El Matadero, sure! Cannons in El Presidio, sure!

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

Yes. Also, in multiplayer, I like to use the female Mexican characters and spam the taunt button. No idea what she's going on about. I think I heard "culo" in there somewhere.

Another thing that annoys me about multiplayer: there's no "howdy" button. It's "gently caress your shitface, bitch" or nothing.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any reason to buy anything other than a 3 star horse?

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

Not really. But you could buy a cheap deed for quick save trick.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where the Bollard gang bounties are at?

I am slowly but surely working my way towards the 100% mark, and damned if I can find a bounty with em. I thought it was Armadillo but that's the Walton gang.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know where the Bollard gang bounties are at?

I am slowly but surely working my way towards the 100% mark, and damned if I can find a bounty with em. I thought it was Armadillo but that's the Walton gang.

MacFarlane's Ranch. Took me a while to realize it had a bounty board too.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I'm on the 3rd treasuremap and solving them myself without looking at a guide was very rewarding. I still maintain the first one is misleading, and the last step of the 2nd one is hard to pinpoint exactly, as well as requiring a long ride if you go too far down the hill!

The 3rd one is easy I'll be going directly to that place when I get home from work but I wonder... can you get that treasure before you even get the 3rd map or does it only spawn there once the map is found?

Mr Cuddles fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 2, 2010

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

GamingHyena posted:

Maps from vendors are a fast and thourough way to reveal all locations on your map, a requirement for 100% completion stats.

Rare weapons unlock throughout the game, and are also part of "Redeemed" requirement.

A jug of moonshine and other similar goodies make later deadeye challenges fairly simple.

I'm sure there's more but hopefully that's what you meant.

e. The bandolier increases ammo capacity, the bandanna is very helpful, there are outfit scraps that need to be purchased, etc. Maybe I misunderstood your question.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Mr Cuddles posted:

The 3rd one is easy I'll be going directly to that place when I get home from work but I wonder... can you get that treasure before you even get the 3rd map or does it only spawn there once the map is found?

The little cache of rocks is there but I'm pretty sure you can't access it until you have the appropriate map. Early on in the game I overheard a character talk about the rumour that there was treasure in (a place) and I went to that place, found the rock pile, but couldn't do anything with it. Later, when I got the map, I went back and collected the gold.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I'm sure there's more but hopefully that's what you meant.

I thought he meant "why would you buy a 1- or 2-star horse".

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

GamingHyena posted:

Tumbleweed is one spooky town, but did you know it is ACTUALLY haunted? I just spent five minutes skulking around the mansion basement endlessly tormented by the voices of those I've killed.

After you cross the bridge before you enter town, veer left up the path until you see the windmill. Once you're at the windmill, slide down and head near the barn, then go into the mansion. You will hear voices and even run into invisible people.

What I think happened:

What I'm guessing happens is that the criminals are already pre-loaded into their spots in Tumbleweed, but just invisible. When you walk into town you trigger the criminals to decloak and spawn. However, if you walk into town from a different direction you won't trigger the criminals to decloak, but they'll still be there. You can bump into them and they'll still say stuff if you go near them or shoot. I lit up the basement in dynamite and didn't see any blood/bodies, so I assume they're invincible as well.

If you approach Tumbleweed you'll trigger the criminals to spawn in town and in the mansion. Curiously, the criminals in the mansion seemed to be initially friendly to me. This is also a really hassle free way to complete the third treasure hunt mission

Can anyone else duplicate this?

I thought this was just a glitch too, but now I'm thinking it's intentional. NPCs and the newspaper both mention Tumbleweed being haunted, and no other place in the game has any glitch like this atleast that I have heard of.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mr Cuddles posted:

I'm on the 3rd treasuremap and solving them myself without looking at a guide was very rewarding. I still maintain the first one is misleading, and the last step of the 2nd one is hard to pinpoint exactly, as well as requiring a long ride if you go too far down the hill!

How is the first one misleading? At first I went to the graveyard where you save some dude from being hanged, but then I stumbled upon the actual location.

The 2nd one though, ugh. That loving hill. I went all the way down and spent forever looking for the thing before I was like "it's ON the hill not BELOW IT!".

Also, apparently if you progress far enough in the single player campaign, you get a lasso which makes catching horses really easy. You don't have to chase them forever and kinda corner them eventually and maybe have a chance at breaking one.

Man I felt dumb.

Does anyone else hog-tie and then toss the petty criminals onto the train tracks?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
a lot of people seem to have had trouble with the first treasure map so I don't feel stupid about it. I think it's just that it's not immediately obvious at what scale it's working or something.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Apologies in advance for this being woefully off-topic but I've been going through all the westerns I can find since buying this game. I've just watched For A Few Dollars More and by GAWD it's great.

One thing that is now bothering the hell out of me is that El Indio's watch plays a tune that was sampled in some (most probably) terrible house music tune. Anyone know what it is?

Sorry, I know, massively off topic...uh...bears are cunts and come out of nowhere.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also, apparently if you progress far enough in the single player campaign, you get a lasso which makes catching horses really easy. You don't have to chase them forever and kinda corner them eventually and maybe have a chance at breaking one.

Man I felt dumb.

Yeah, like a whole 4 missions.

Can't believe so many people just ADD out and can't even finish a couple tutorial missions before trying to conquer the rest of the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Got to admit, the idea of someone chasing down and breaking horses without the lasso is pretty goddamn funny.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does anyone else hog-tie and then toss the petty criminals onto the train tracks?

I stole this idea from another goon in this thread but if you're feeling vindictive, when you get those criminals who try to steal your horse, hogtie them and put them on the back of a wild horse. Fire your gun in the air a couple times to get it running and enjoy.

You want a horse? I'll get you a horse.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr Cuddles posted:

a lot of people seem to have had trouble with the first treasure map so I don't feel stupid about it. I think it's just that it's not immediately obvious at what scale it's working or something.

If that's the one at Hanging Rock, I thought the treasure was buried behind some rocks nearby that, as you stood at them, you would see Hanging Rock as its drawn in part 1 on the map. I was searching around for like 20 minutes trying to recreate the view from the map from the east of Hanging Rock until I realized that the map was two separate drawings and part two was the back of Hanging Rock itself.

:downs:

Hal Gill username posted:

I stole this idea from another goon in this thread but if you're feeling vindictive, when you get those criminals who try to steal your horse, hogtie them and put them on the back of a wild horse. Fire your gun in the air a couple times to get it running and enjoy.

You want a horse? I'll get you a horse.

I like this idea. I've tried hogtying them and splashing them with bait, but whatever comes to investigate never pays them any attention. I threw one off the cliff at Torquemada, she fell without hitting anything for a solid 6-7 seconds, screaming the whole way. That one actually gave me enough time to start to feel bad about it. :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 2, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sco Dylan posted:

Can't believe so many people just ADD out and can't even finish a couple tutorial missions before trying to conquer the rest of the game.

To be fair, it's kind of a lot of tutorial missions, they arent all really helpful (thank god there's a cow herding tutorial) and the game invites you to go into Armadillo before they're finished. So I spent a good while trying to figure out how I was supposed to capture bounty targets without killing them long before I got the lasso.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

shadok posted:

To be fair, it's kind of a lot of tutorial missions, they arent all really helpful (thank god there's a cow herding tutorial) and the game invites you to go into Armadillo before they're finished. So I spent a good while trying to figure out how I was supposed to capture bounty targets without killing them long before I got the lasso.

Yeah, the game really shouldn't have distracted you with "Hey, look over here! There's a way out of the tutorial now, just go to Armadillo for fun and killin'!" You assume at that point that the tutorial part is really and truly over, but then after doing a few missions in Armadillo it seems like that's it. The game just halts and forces you to go back to Bonnie's ranch to do the tutorials you should've done already and shame on you for leaving Bonnie you bastard. They would've been better off not giving you any other missions until the Bonnie thread was over. It would've made more sense than having you wander off to Armadillo only to be forced to come back anyways.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

I didn;t ever want to leave Bonnie anyway. God bless Bonnie and her bad teeth

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Mr Cuddles posted:

I didn;t ever want to leave Bonnie anyway. God bless Bonnie and her bad teeth

That reminds me, Rockstar is very good at designing teeth in this game. They actually look realistic and not made of plastic like most games. Even though, I don't remember Bonnie having bad teeth.

Jesus, look at me. Spergin out about video game teeth. I should find something better to do.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

That reminds me, Rockstar is very good at designing teeth in this game. They actually look realistic and not made of plastic like most games. Even though, I don't remember Bonnie having bad teeth.

Jesus, look at me. Spergin out about video game teeth. I should find something better to do.

Her teeth are just a bit on the big side, not bad though. Bonnie's such an adorable and lovable girl :3:

Have you played Heavy Rain? The chompers in that game will give you nightmares.

e:

:cry:

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-red-dead-redemption-hates-women/

I laughed like an rear end in a top hat through most of this. And for the Bonnie mission haters:

quote:

Most of this game is amazing. You’ll have shootouts with everyone from hill people to the Mexican army and if you’re more than 10 feet from town, there is always a cougar behind you. However, if you take a mission from a woman, you can forget about all that fun. When you talk to a guy, he wants you to get on a gatling gun and kill buffalo rapists. When you talk to a girl, she wants you to play a rhythm action game to feed her pigs. A woman’s idea of a mission is a scenic wagon ride or driving her fussy cattle out to pasture, and she will be nagging at you the whole goddamn time.

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 2, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

Well because it's the first treasure map you're not entirely sure how they work yet. I know I thought I was looking for a formation of 3 large boulders some distance from Hangman's Rock and stumbled upon it just because I had spent 15 minutes on it and couldn't figure it out.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Holy loving poo poo the starting horses in multiplayer are so loving bad they make me want to throw away the game unless I can steal a faster horse quickly. Who the gently caress thought grinding in non-mmo's was a good idea?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GenoCanSing posted:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-red-dead-redemption-hates-women/

I laughed like an rear end in a top hat through most of this. And for the Bonnie mission haters:

The gay sex reference in the beginning is really out of place and makes no sense.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

a japanese pop icon posted:

Holy loving poo poo the starting horses in multiplayer are so loving bad they make me want to throw away the game unless I can steal a faster horse quickly. Who the gently caress thought grinding in non-mmo's was a good idea?

You can get a decent horse fairly quickly. If you do some co-op, a few gang hideouts, or even matches you can level up to a respectable level pretty easily.

Or if you have someone in your posse that has a better horse they can call one and you can grab it.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday
Is there some kind of bug going on with gang hideouts lately or is it just bad luck? Me and a buddy tried to do gaptooth a couple times, and got everything from enemies not spawning to them spawning inside walls and killing us while we're unable to do anything.

We had some problems with other ones, too, like Twin Rocks we didn't have any of the gang members show up on our radar, but they were still shooting us. Then... it just kind of completed with no reason. There were still plenty of baddies around.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Contra Duck posted:

It's the usual rockstar 'man arrives in town with a shady past that he will slowly reveal over the course of the game' thing.

And they make a prequel game extremely appealing.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I hate Slink Bradshaw. That is all.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, the game really shouldn't have distracted you with "Hey, look over here! There's a way out of the tutorial now, just go to Armadillo for fun and killin'!" You assume at that point that the tutorial part is really and truly over, but then after doing a few missions in Armadillo it seems like that's it. The game just halts and forces you to go back to Bonnie's ranch to do the tutorials you should've done already and shame on you for leaving Bonnie you bastard. They would've been better off not giving you any other missions until the Bonnie thread was over. It would've made more sense than having you wander off to Armadillo only to be forced to come back anyways.

Yeah I ended up wandering off and doing a bunch of the flower collecting quests, I thought the Bonnie tutorial stuff was done and figured I'd do someone else's quests for a bit.

What's the deal with this Marston fellow loving drowning? I keep hopping the stupid horse into water thinking he'll just swim; I also fell off the pier in Thieves Landing and drowned.

Oh yeah, how do you manage to cheat at poker? I have the special suit and everything, but when I press Y I get caught practically immediately. Is there some trick to getting that stupid arrow to stay in the center?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Argumentable posted:

Is there some kind of bug going on with gang hideouts lately or is it just bad luck? Me and a buddy tried to do gaptooth a couple times, and got everything from enemies not spawning to them spawning inside walls and killing us while we're unable to do anything.

The public servers seem to be going wonky again. Last night the free roam servers I was on seemed reasonably stable but there was just no way to get into a co-op game, it was just hanging at the loading screen - where you could hear other people on voice chat complaining about hanging on the loading screen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Two tricks:
First of all, hit the 'cheat' button the moment the deck is in your hand. If you wait at all you won't have time to get the needle in the center.

Second, use a light touch. Don't keep pressing the stick until the needle is in the right place, then it'll keep going and be way out in the other direction. Just press it a little bit to get it moving, then tap the other way once it's in the center so it stays there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ray and Shirley posted:

I hate Slink Bradshaw. That is all.

And he just won't die. Or there's some 1910s cloning going on.

• Locked thread