Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

"[panic posted:

"]
5'9" -- I read something about them being small and thought it would be a nice benefit. :)

Add the VLX to your eval list if you're in the market for low-slung and well behaved. It's been around for nearly 20 years, parts are plentiful, and asking price starts at around 2K depending on the usual factors. You'll probably get every dime of your money back in resale. The same can't be said for a new Rebel, or a new anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

harm0nic posted:

I found a dealership in Houston selling a '99 SV650n for $3000. It only has 7k miles, so I'm guessing they're gonna justify the price due to the low mileage. Does mileage really make that much of a difference in the value?

I know this is highly circumstantial, but since KBB values the '99s at $1500 and NADA pegs it at $1700, is there any chance I could walk in there with, say, $1800-$2000 cash and get them to bite?

It's possible, but dealerships tend to be dicks about that. I'd at least give it a try, the market is bad enough that it might work.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'd have to look at any mods to it, but even though the bike isn't worth much more then $2k, I doubt they'll come down much. Eventually, someone* will walk in who doesn't know any better, who will pay them that much for it.

*year-and-a-half ago me

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I guess whats nice about buying a used bike from any reputable dealer is that they usually check the wear items and make sure the bike is good to go before selling it, as opposed to some private seller selling you a bike for what seems like a really low price until you find out the registration is backed up a year, and the bike needs new tires/oil change/chain&sprockets, brakes, etc.

Then again if you know what to look for and know how to do a few little maintenance things yourself it's no biggie.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I feel sorry for you people that live in a state where they expect you to pay back registration. In Alabama, if you don't pay to register your bike, then your bike isn't registered. It's a novel concept and really makes me worry that Alabama may be a bastion of common sense. I'm only comforted in the knowledge that it isn't common sense that has the Alabama system working this way, and instead is just someone not realizing they could screw people out of more money by doing it like that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

I feel sorry for you people that live in a state where they expect you to pay back registration. In Alabama, if you don't pay to register your bike, then your bike isn't registered. It's a novel concept and really makes me worry that Alabama may be a bastion of common sense. I'm only comforted in the knowledge that it isn't common sense that has the Alabama system working this way, and instead is just someone not realizing they could screw people out of more money by doing it like that.

Don't get your hopes up, I think it's that way everywhere but CA. :haw:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/1818303891.html

Helping someone shop, anything to watch out for on a 74 honda cb200t? Seems like it would make a good first bike. For $1000 obo with 5k miles but still being ridden, seem like a good deal?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The wife wants to shop for a newer bike. I guess she is not excited about continuing to ride her 1984 V30 around after it gets fixed, and she sums it up with "it feels like a bicycle".

We have been reviewing what is out there and, in her words, "I'm having a goldilocks problem. This bike is too sportbike. This bike isn't too sportbike enough." I take that to mean a standard with some sporty characteristics.

Her riding experience consists of several thousand on her V30 Magna, which I want to say makes just shy of 70hp, and a Buell XB12X, which makes over 100. In terms of performance, she wants to take a step up from the Honda, while maintaining some comfort over distance.

Price-wise, we are looking at the $5000-$10,000 range.

Age-wise, we are just getting off the old-bike-blues with her V30's carb failure, so we are looking specifically at EFI for this purchase, her requirement (though I think she could be convinced to accept a single-carb).

Stuff we've been looking at:

- Suzuki SV650, we've located an '05 at the bottom end of the price range, I think this would be great for some light touring and summer commuting.

- Suzuki Vstrom 650, these typically fall at the higher end of our budget

- Kawasaki Versys, this could be a winner if we can locate one that isn't blue. Though we have found a new demo unit. Any reason to avoid a warrantied demo ride?

- Kawasaki ER-6n, pretty much same story as Versys

- BMW G 650 Xcountry, I'm concerned about distance comfort and longevity with the 650 thumper. It's a less sporty, more dualsport model, which she seems to be fond of, having enjoyed the Ulysses

Aside from the classic SV650, does anybody have any experience with these models? Pro-tips? Gotchas? Stuff to look out for?

Also if there are any other bikes out there that would fit the bill for her, based on the examples given, I am ears.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Where are you that a V-Strom is in the upwards of 10K?

I've ridden the SV650, DL650, and the G650 X-Country.

Given the desires you mentioned, I'd say that the DL650 would be the best fit. It's a bit heavier and will be the most comfortable for long distances of those three, I expect it's as comfortable as the Versys and would have more luggage options for touring. People seem to have no trouble putting miles on these bikes and the engine is notoriously reliable.

The G650 has a great motor and would be the best out of them all as far as dual sporting goes but you need to rev that 650 engine to really make it dance. I got 50K out of my first F650 rotax engine and I abused the heck out of it. There are those out there that have seen 100K.

With the DL the main thing you need to look out for is to protect the oil cooler and throw some crash bars on it. Look into bar risers if you plan to ride it in the dirt.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seattle area. We're looking at dealerships, hence the steep pricing on the Vstroms, the 650s seem to hover around 7500, that is too much IMO.

What she REALLY wants is a H-D XR1200X, budget be damned, but those aren't out until August, and we have a big trip planned before they release.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Are you anti-CL then? Dealers you're always going to pay the dealer premium and won't get as much bike. What about a VFR?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not really anti-CL, but we want to finance a portion of it until we sell off the VF, Immediate budgetary pressures and all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Without having any idea of what your finances are like, would you be able to talk to your bank/credit union and open a line of credit or similar? (Or is that a terrible idea, CA?)

As for your options, I've been riding a DL650 for about a year and I love the heck out of it. Basically seconding everything PlasticSun said, though I might not worry about the oil cooler if I wasn't going to take it on gravel roads. The Versys is pretty identical, but I wouldn't offroad it much at all with the underslung muffler. If you can go used with a LoC, you might also consider the DL1000 - apparently the motor isn't as nice to live with as it is on the 650, but it's closer to the power your wife is used to.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

Without having any idea of what your finances are like, would you be able to talk to your bank/credit union and open a line of credit or similar? (Or is that a terrible idea, CA?)

We were intending on using a CC for part of the cost; we have a very low rate on the card. Lower than our CU offers on a LOC or vehicle loan, and one advantage there is the title isn't tied up with the bank in case we need/want to sell it without a headache. I'm sure it's a "terrible idea". But this thread isn't about "how to arrange finances".

Anyhoo, I sent the KLR and DL links to the wife and she doesn't like the sprung fenders at all. So I guess those are out unless you can show me an unsprung fender kit :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Sprung fenders"? Y'mean like the rear fenders that are big hunks of plastic, that count as sprung weight?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

We were intending on using a CC for part of the cost; we have a very low rate on the card. Lower than our CU offers on a LOC or vehicle loan, and one advantage there is the title isn't tied up with the bank in case we need/want to sell it without a headache. I'm sure it's a "terrible idea". But this thread isn't about "how to arrange finances".

Anyhoo, I sent the KLR and DL links to the wife and she doesn't like the sprung fenders at all. So I guess those are out unless you can show me an unsprung fender kit :)

If the card rate will stay low and predictable and you remember to make those payments, it's not that terrible an idea. The rub is if you miss a payment and suddenly the interest rate goes up to 30%, then it's a terrible idea.That and the added fees for a cash advance. You should be able to arrange a loan yourself through the credit union that will match or beat any deal you would get through a dealership. There is no magic there, they go to the same banks you have access to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Z1000?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Phy posted:

"Sprung fenders"? Y'mean like the rear fenders that are big hunks of plastic, that count as sprung weight?
I'm presuming fenders that are attached to the body at the top of the forks, like a KLR, rather than being attached and hugging the wheel, like on a V30 Magna.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

clutchpuck posted:

What she REALLY wants is a H-D XR1200X, budget be damned, but those aren't out until August, and we have a big trip planned before they release.

If she'd like a sporty cruiser-ish bike have you looked at the BMW R1150R or the R1200R? Great bike and amazingly easy to ride. I've got an 1150R in Denver I'd let go for $4500, and I wouldn't be hesitant to hop it in today and ride it to alaska.

Purchasing new from a dealer may not be the best way to go. Like others have said, a home equity loan or a line of credit from your bank to purchase a bike with 10K miles for half the price of a new one is a much better buy than going with dealer financing at full price.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

I'm presuming fenders that are attached to the body at the top of the forks, like a KLR, rather than being attached and hugging the wheel, like on a V30 Magna.

Yeah, but the Strom line has a low-mount front fender, which is why I thought he meant the rears.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Gnomad posted:

If the card rate will stay low and predictable and you remember to make those payments, it's not that terrible an idea. The rub is if you miss a payment and suddenly the interest rate goes up to 30%, then it's a terrible idea.

Luckily, I do believe this is illegal now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

Yeah, but the Strom line has a low-mount front fender, which is why I thought he meant the rears.

Sorry I meant DR, not DL, when I made that comment. I think I misread almost an entire post back there. Good going, me.

Went and checked out a new strom 650 and 1000. Seems comfortable. The dude at the dealership said the 650 has about as long legs as the 1000, just takes a little longer to get up to speed. Is this BS?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 1, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No, the larger one is heavier and although it has more torques, people really seem to prefer the 650. I'd personally probably go for the 650 myself. The difference is negligible, you don't buy a DL to go to the drag strip, after all.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Related note and an open question to all--does anyone know what it is about the greater Minneapolis/St Paul area that makes it a mecca for quality vintage UJM bikes and motorcycles in general? Even by raw numbers, it tends to have the most CL cycle ads--last time I bothered to count, I think it dwarfed whole regions of the country. I've read vague accounts of it being "bike friendly," but it seems to defy logic, at least climate-wise.

The summers are perfect for riding bikes, and those bikes are then stored inside for 4-5 months every winter. Then the wife/gf says "get this poo poo out of the garage" and on to craigslist it goes.

"bike friendly" refers more to bicycles I think, but maybe the love of bicycles transfers over into motorcycle ownership as well? Mine did.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

I guess whats nice about buying a used bike from any reputable dealer is that they usually check the wear items and make sure the bike is good to go before selling it

Not really. When I bought my first bike (Had no idea what I was doing) they sold it to me with a rear tire that was so worn down that the steel threads were starting to show. Buying from a used dealer gives you no real assurances besides the fact that the bike will (probably) be in sort-of running condition when you get it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

clutchpuck posted:

- Suzuki Vstrom 650, these typically fall at the higher end of our budget

The Wee is well BELOW your budget in terms of price. I got mine with hard bags and all the farkles for $3400, and you see them on ADVrider all the time for $4-$5k with all the accessories and low miles.

I like my Wee quite a bit, and from every other Wee/Vee rider I've spoken with, the 650 is a better bike in almost all ways. The only real advantage the 1000 has is that it comes with markedly better front suspension, but there's a lot of mods you can do to the 650's forks to get them up to par.

The 1000 is heavier and the weight is distributed differently, so handling suffers a bit more then you would expect. There's also been some issues with the 1000 engine (stumbling/hesitating around 4k rpm) that Suzuki still denies to this day, and many riders have had to go to an aftermarket engine computer to fix.

On paper sure the 1000 has more power, but unless you're coming from a RR sportbike, the 650 is plenty fast for almost all sane situations. It's still faster then 95% of the cars on the road, and will loft the front wheel in second gear if you poke it hard enough.

The 650 also gets great mileage, handles well, isn't as hard on tires and chains and brakes, and comes with a 1" lower seat.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 2, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

clutchpuck posted:

What she REALLY wants is a H-D XR1200X

I cannot figure out how the hell that thing weighs 580lbs. Where the gently caress is all that weight? Is the frame filled with lead shot?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Tsaven Nava posted:

I cannot figure out how the hell that thing weighs 580lbs. Where the gently caress is all that weight? Is the frame filled with lead shot?

Freedom isn't free, nor is it weightless. :911:

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 2, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

At Harley-Davidson, every piece of machinery we make is built from 100% battleship iron, and coated in delicious American cheese. A substantial bike, because you're a substantial rider.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1821407414.html

So, this dude wants $100 for a running EX500 (albiet one that apparently has some issues).

Is this a bad idea? I feel like I could probably fix it up and flip it for at least $5-600, if the stated damage/necessary maintenance is all that's wrong with it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

sectoidman posted:

So, this dude wants $100 for a running EX500 (albiet one that apparently has some issues).

Is this a bad idea? I feel like I could probably fix it up and flip it for at least $5-600, if the stated damage/necessary maintenance is all that's wrong with it.

If it runs, you could easily part it out for well over $100 if you had to. If you have the room for it, and some cash for parts, buy the everlovingfuck out of it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

We have been reviewing what is out there and, in her words, "I'm having a goldilocks problem. This bike is too sportbike. This bike isn't too sportbike enough." I take that to mean a standard with some sporty characteristics.

- Kawasaki Versys, this could be a winner if we can locate one that isn't blue. Though we have found a new demo unit. Any reason to avoid a warrantied demo ride?

Also if there are any other bikes out there that would fit the bill for her, based on the examples given, I am ears.

+1 Versys. Not sure I would have one, but every bike magazine can't be wrong I guess.

Honda 599 with a small screen. New-type Monsters - M1100 or 696/796.

e: also +1 on BMW R-bikes. They're the best boxers IMO.

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 2, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Do it because at 100$ you really can't go wrong if it runs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

sectoidman posted:

Give it to meeeee :argh:

No really, buy it.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I called him earlier and he'd already sold it, drat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well we went out to some dealers today. She really likes the BMW R model but fears it may be "too much motorcycle", but I reminded her that's what she said when she first got on her V30 which now feels like a bicycle. We found a couple with 20-some thousand miles for under $7,000.

What's the deal on those BMW Rs? Those opposed twins are supposed to be bulletproof, right? The sales guy at the dealer mentioned they're 200k engines. Are there other parts of that bike that should be paid attention to? What about the shaft rear end? I seem to recall reading somewhere that those are pretty sophisticated and could run up a big repair bill if something happens with it.

Turns out nobody has a used Strom. Pickens are even slim on Craigslist.

Ran across a couple Yamaha Warriors, too. She said she'd definitely buy one if it was the right price and right color.

Another thing she really liked was an 05 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 but the one she wanted to look at was sold before we got there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The final drive on the R bikes are a known somewhat weak spot, but it's mostly on the GS models where people load them up with tons of stuff.

Also, clutch replacements essentially require ripping the bike in half.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
She is going to try and arrange a test ride next weekend, if its still there, on a 04 R1100S with 25k mi. Doesn't look like anybody rode much 2 up on this one:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I've gone from toying with the idea of a new bike to committing to it pretty seriously. My biggest hold up is figuring out what the hell I want. I currently ride a '79 GS750L. It's my second season riding.

I like the upright seating position. It has to be comfortable on the highway. I like higher seat position of a dual-sport, but that's low on the priority list. I'd also like to stay < $6000. I'm willing to go used, but only a few years old. I don't need more power, but I do like to hit the twisties hard. My current bike is heavier than I would like. It also vibrates pretty ridiculously > 60mph.

The bikes I'm considering so far: sv650, gladius, vstrom650, klr650, versys, fz6
I've sat on most of these, but don't know anyone that owns any of them to take a test ride.

Bikes that are awesome but out of my price range: f800gs, bonneville

If you can provide any guidance, or just throw more options into the mix to further confuse me, that's be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
If you don't like buzzy at 60mph, KLR650 might not be for you. (Disclaimer, I've never ridden one, just going off what people have said) And I don't think it's well suited do twisting it up, even if you did get sumo wheels for it.

I can speak very favorably for a V-Strom 650, it's my daily commuter bike. With some street tires and a couple of minor front suspension mods, it'll do twisties well enough to keep you delighted. And even riding it like a jackass, I still hover around 50mpg.