Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Oh yeah, how do you manage to cheat at poker? I have the special suit and everything, but when I press Y I get caught practically immediately. Is there some trick to getting that stupid arrow to stay in the center?

You press Y, then move the arrow all the way to the side, and then you get to kill somebody in a duel.

If you want to do it wrong and actually stay in the game for some reason, The Lone Badger's advice is good. Also, my experience has been that if you cheat too many times in quick succession, you're more likely to get caught. Just hold on to that stolen card and wait until it'll be useful, or swap it for a better card and hold onto that one until you need it. As long as you've got a card up your sleeve, it's just a matter of waiting to see when it'll make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Two tricks:
First of all, hit the 'cheat' button the moment the deck is in your hand. If you wait at all you won't have time to get the needle in the center.

:doh: That's what I was doing wrong...I figured it didn't matter *when* you hit Y or whatever mystical glyph it is on the PS3.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok, I have a stupid question. Who the hell is the dark-haired chick on the cover of the instruction booklet (and lots of other promo stuff) supposed to be? Is it Abagail? She's the only candidate I can think of but that drawing doesn't really look much like her character in the game.

It obviously doesn't really matter but I was waiting to meet whoever that was at some point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hal Gill username posted:

Ok, I have a stupid question. Who the hell is the dark-haired chick on the cover of the instruction booklet (and lots of other promo stuff) supposed to be? Is it Abagail? She's the only candidate I can think of but that drawing doesn't really look much like her character in the game.

It obviously doesn't really matter but I was waiting to meet whoever that was at some point.

It's no one, just a random woman. I think she's a multiplayer skin, though, if that matters.

She's just some random person in singleplayer, though. Like the girl they had in the loading screens for GTA4.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

fennesz posted:

Don't read this unless you have 100%. This might be a foolish question but, why do you feel Jack is bad and not good? Because he grew up knowing how to ride a horse, skin an animal and fire a gun? I didn't get the sense that Jack was bad in the slightest, I figured he lived the good life with his mother up until she died and afterward didn't know what else to do besides kill the man who ruined his childhood and his family. Obviously I'm a completely different person in an entirely different time but I know I'm a good person and I would have done the same thing.

e: ^ I like to think he's Cormac McCarthy's father/grandfather. :unsmith:

I know this is a few days old, but I don't think Jack is necessarily bad or not good, but he was really into that story about the son who avenged his gunslinging dad. You can hear in his voice when he tells his horse to "WORK, YA drat NAG!" that he's got some anger in him, and who wouldn't after losing your parents? Mostly it's an excuse to finally let myself murder townspeople because I didn't feel right doing it as John.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It seems pretty clear that Jack is understandably angry, whether that makes him bad or not I guess is up to the player. Unfortunately for me his 'lets go! LETS GO!' line sounds almost exactly like Eric Cartman.

Dan Didio posted:

It's no one, just a random woman. I think she's a multiplayer skin, though, if that matters.

She's just some random person in singleplayer, though. Like the girl they had in the loading screens for GTA4.

Well. That answers that then, cheers!

Biggest regret from the game I think is that you don't get a chance to track down that no-good Fordham as well. He was really running his mouth about Abagail and I was hoping John would get a chance to put a bullet in him.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

It seems pretty clear that Jack is understandably angry, whether that makes him bad or not I guess is up to the player. Unfortunately for me his 'lets go! LETS GO!' line sounds almost exactly like Eric Cartman.

If you listen to him more, you can tell that Jack's mind is starting to slip as well and he's falling into the role that he assumes that his father had. When you go out hunting and he keeps mentioning that 'dad said I wasn't much of a hunter,' you realize that his bitterness is starting to affect his mind to the point where he's not misremembering reality, he's changing it so he's a permanent outlaw who always proves someone in authority wrong. His father didn't think he couldn't be a hunter, you dumb son of a bitch. He just said you shouldn't go off and start hunting BEARS on your own. But Jack seems to be really hosed up by the experience of having his entire family die in the span of a few years. Sure, the man responsible is now rotting in the Rio Grande and being used as Beaver food, but that doesn't reverse the incredible trauma that boy has experienced or the resultant mental illness that comes from that. And considering he's emulating his father while dismissing reality, one can only wonder what will really become of Jack Marston and his cowboy ways. He kinda picked the wrong time to become a cowboy now that everything from 1914 onwards starts changing the entire layout of the nation quite quickly. He'll be 35 when the Great Depression hits, and in his mid-forties when World War II begins. Not a good future for a cowboy there.

Mr. Bob Dobalina
Jun 30, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If you listen to him more, you can tell that Jack's mind is starting to slip as well and he's falling into the role that he assumes that his father had. When you go out hunting and he keeps mentioning that 'dad said I wasn't much of a hunter,' you realize that his bitterness is starting to affect his mind to the point where he's not misremembering reality, he's changing it so he's a permanent outlaw who always proves someone in authority wrong. His father didn't think he couldn't be a hunter, you dumb son of a bitch. He just said you shouldn't go off and start hunting BEARS on your own. But Jack seems to be really hosed up by the experience of having his entire family die in the span of a few years. Sure, the man responsible is now rotting in the Rio Grande and being used as Beaver food, but that doesn't reverse the incredible trauma that boy has experienced or the resultant mental illness that comes from that. And considering he's emulating his father while dismissing reality, one can only wonder what will really become of Jack Marston and his cowboy ways. He kinda picked the wrong time to become a cowboy now that everything from 1914 onwards starts changing the entire layout of the nation quite quickly. He'll be 35 when the Great Depression hits, and in his mid-forties when World War II begins. Not a good future for a cowboy there.

:aaaaa: this is why I love Rockstar games, apart from tying nuns to railroad tracks :ssh:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

what's your honor level cause I've killed a fuckton of wildlife and never heard him say that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or he joins the Army and goes to Europe to fight in the Great War and dies in some godforsaken no man's land.

Reverend Rath
Jul 4, 2008
Very confused. Just did the first Seth mission and my stallion is gone. It's replaced with some other random horse. I didn't kill my stallion nor hitch a different horse. What gives?

After I stole the Marshal's horse I never saw my stallion again

e: Oh, they probably shot it is my guess.

Reverend Rath fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 3, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Finally got the Survive as Public Enemy for 10 Minutes achievement. A couple of guys were coming to track me down so I requested a posse invite instead and they ended up teaming up with me to take on the better part of the entire Mexican Army before I rode off into the sunset chuckling.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
All I did was ride up into Cochinay. The law won't follow you and you can hole up in the caves rather easily.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I 100% the game a while ago but now I have some lingering achievements that I'd like to finish out. Namely the 5000 dollar one bounty one. I know a lot of people have suggested going to Blackwater and getting up on the roof but I keep getting impatient (which is admittedly my fault) but I gently caress up and get shot by some random cop...plus the roof overlooking the town square area by the police station has some bad viewing angles. Anyone have a better spot to post up?

Also the achievement for killing 500 people on mounted weapons, can i just keep replaying that one mission with the cannons where the fort gets attacked to rack up the kills that way??

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

soggybagel posted:

I 100% the game a while ago but now I have some lingering achievements that I'd like to finish out. Namely the 5000 dollar one bounty one. I know a lot of people have suggested going to Blackwater and getting up on the roof but I keep getting impatient (which is admittedly my fault) but I gently caress up and get shot by some random cop...plus the roof overlooking the town square area by the police station has some bad viewing angles. Anyone have a better spot to post up?

Also the achievement for killing 500 people on mounted weapons, can i just keep replaying that one mission with the cannons where the fort gets attacked to rack up the kills that way??

Armadillo by the save point. Save your bounty as you go.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Armadillo by the save point. Save your bounty as you go.

Yeah Armadillo is the most fun. The law doesn't carry High-Powered Pistols, you can rob the bank each time you raze the town and there are a lot of ways in and out of the town if you need to make a quick exit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

soggybagel posted:

It's actually very very easier to do this achievement in multiplayer. Just go to the fort in Perdido get a bounty and blow the gently caress out of the federales with the canons there. Not only will it get you the achievement, it'll get you hooked on multiplayer.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I did that achievement just now, in that first town when you get to Mexico. I just shot some random people then rode around on my horse outside of town shooting people.

I didn't mean to start going for the 5k bounty, I accidentally stole something out of a closet or whatever, then some federales started shooting me so I jumped out onto the roof, called my horse, and jumped from the roof right onto the thing; it was p cool :smug:.

Also, shooting guys in the legs, then riding them down with your horse is awesome. I always do that to the last po po in the group.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
I felt gypped when I got the White Bronco achievement while doing the $5k bounty -- all I did was ride in and out of Armadillo, it said Marshals were after me, and I guess they couldn't immediately see me because I got the achievement right away.

I was hoping for an epic, drawn out chase and gunfight ending with a leap off of a ridge or something. :v:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hrm. I just got the "A Savage Soul" trophy, so I know the game registers me as that far in the plot, but I seem to have missed the two (Sons of Mexico and No More Fancy Words) Mexican trophies. Am I going to have to start a new game to get them?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
This game!

Just started a second playthrough and came across a man chucking something down an alley. Ever suspicious I mosey on over just to find that he's playing fetch with his dog! :3:

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Baggins posted:

This game!

Just started a second playthrough and came across a man chucking something down an alley. Ever suspicious I mosey on over just to find that he's playing fetch with his dog! :3:

And you shot his dog and hogtied him up and dragged him behind you on your horse right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nthman posted:

And you shot his dog and hogtied him up and dragged him behind you on your horse right?

I actually came across that guy myself and did at least one of those things.

...hogtied the guy, that is, I'm not a monster. :ohdear:

Abercrunchie
Jun 9, 2009
Well, I'm on my third partial playthough of this game (1st time the game disk got scratched accidentally and we returned it, second time the PS3's hard drive died...), and I totally fuckin' love it. I'm only at storming Ft. Mercer with the gatling gun but it's been one hell of a ride so far.

Something pretty strange happened today though: A prostitute near Armadillo stole my horse. I whistled for him back and he returned to me, dumping the chick onto the ground at some point. Pretty darn funny, but I got honor points for it too. Is this some sort of glitch or did I miss something?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Abercrunchie posted:

Something pretty strange happened today though: A prostitute near Armadillo stole my horse. I whistled for him back and he returned to me, dumping the chick onto the ground at some point. Pretty darn funny, but I got honor points for it too. Is this some sort of glitch or did I miss something?

Nope, that's just one of the many mini events that happen out in the wilderness. I've never had the person be a prostitute before, it's always some mad lookin' fellow.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is the larger satchel that you get from one of the challenges bugged for anyone else? As I understand it, it's supposed to carry twice the amount of items that the normal bag does, but whenever I fill it up (10x Medicine, 10x Bait and so on), save, and then load the game the next time I'm back down to 5 of everything. :(

Just 100% the game earlier and had a blast doing it. The last hunting challenges especially were fantastic. Brumas bitchslapped me off Nekoti Rock and my horse soon followed. I paid him back with a couple of Buffalo Rifle rounds to his skull. :clint:

Also I only now noticed the binoculars in the inventory. When do you get these? I knew they were in the game and all but I always thought they'd show up in the weapon menu instead of your bag.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stare-Out posted:

Is the larger satchel that you get from one of the challenges bugged for anyone else? As I understand it, it's supposed to carry twice the amount of items that the normal bag does, but whenever I fill it up (10x Medicine, 10x Bait and so on), save, and then load the game the next time I'm back down to 5 of everything. :(

That seems to be a persistent bug, unfortunately.

You got the binoculars in the mission where Nastas takes you to spy on Dutch in Cochinay. I haven't found them to be terrible useful, to be honest.

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006
I've done a couple of missions in the Blackwater/Tall Trees area and I really feel bad for the natives. I know the ignorance of the Europeans is intentional, but sometimes I wish I could crawl into the game and shoot up and eliminate entire towns of white people. Sucks that John Marston is so ignorant about world events but that was the average Joe for you.

I like how the Caucasians think they actually helped the natives by bringing civilization to them. Little do they know that firearms, trains, automobiles, and electricity, telegraphs, etc. actually complicate your life in the long run and lead to our future right here and now where we're basically slaves to our corporate jobs. I could argue that living a simple life as a native pre-invasion, was better than living in a place like England where you're literally walking through poo poo in the streets and dying of small pocks. As a native, one of your few cares in life for the most part was having enough food to eat, starting a family, and earning the respect of your community. Of course I'm not saying that the natives were perfect because they weren't for they waged war with each other all the time. Yeah someone could argue they were living in ignorance of many things just like natives in the Amazon live in ignorance today, but would their lives really be better if we "civilized" them? I say no.

I just wish I could go back in time with a machine gun and mow down Columbus and then teleport over to Europe and detonate a 100 megaton nuclear bomb in England, Spain, and France for good measure.

Also I like how you help the rebels defeat the Mexican military in Mexico only to discover that the new leader in charge is just as bad as the old one. TakeTwo really did their research for this game.

BIOJECT fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 5, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That seems to be a persistent bug, unfortunately.

You got the binoculars in the mission where Nastas takes you to spy on Dutch in Cochinay. I haven't found them to be terrible useful, to be honest.
Ahh, forgot about that. I've found them useful a few times but realized that it's less hassle to just whip out a sniper rifle and use the scope to look around, though the view is larger with the binoculars. I'd use them if they were on the weapon wheel, though.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Her teeth are just a bit on the big side, not bad though. Bonnie's such an adorable and lovable girl :3:

Have you played Heavy Rain? The chompers in that game will give you nightmares.

e:

:cry:

They're so big and thin. The teeth also look exactly like each other. Jesus, people, designing videogame teeth isn't hard.

Ace Oliveira fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 5, 2010

Jtomeo
Jan 10, 2003
Is it possible to have the negative and positive honor rewards at the same time? Do you lose one if your honor swings in the other direction? I want to wear the good guy duster and ride the evil horse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jtomeo posted:

Is it possible to have the negative and positive honor rewards at the same time? Do you lose one if your honor swings in the other direction? I want to wear the good guy duster and ride the evil horse.

You lose them.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
The low honor horse kind of sucks anyways, it's nowhere near as fast as the American Standard-bred, the other black horse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ace Oliveira posted:

They're so big and thin. The teeth also look exactly like each other. Jesus, people, designing videogame teeth isn't hard.

There's a lot more important things to spend polys and processing on than teeth.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

nippon nifties posted:

There's a lot more important things to spend polys and processing on than teeth.

Like boobs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What/when is a good spot to get an American Standard-bred? I can never find any of the stupid things.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I had 2 spawn on that trail following the river in Tall Trees, and immediately they decided to run away from me, and fall into the river :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dan Didio posted:

You lose them.

Does this include the Obscuridad? Because the instant it entered my possession I shoved that nun off a cliff, threw a shopkeeper through a window, and did my damnedest to set all of Escalera on fire.

If I find out that my hellish rampage destroying thousands of points of honor made me lose that, I am going to be a bit miffed!

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
I got my first ever accusation of hacking a game over xbox live today after going 23 and 2 in a gang shootout. I've never felt more like a cowboy in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Does this include the Obscuridad? Because the instant it entered my possession I shoved that nun off a cliff, threw a shopkeeper through a window, and did my damnedest to set all of Escalera on fire.

If I find out that my hellish rampage destroying thousands of points of honor made me lose that, I am going to be a bit miffed!

I don't think so. I mean, I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it stays in your inventory.

You can definitely lose the Duster coat, though.

• Locked thread