Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've just read all of Hajime no Ippo over the last few weeks starting all the way from chapter 1 up to Woli.

Honestly it's a really really strong manga with Woli being the only black mark against it. There is nothing redeeming about the Ippo Vs Woli fight. Absolutely nothing.
I even like the Malcom Gedo fight reading it again. He actually has a really good personality about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Infinitum posted:

I've just read all of Hajime no Ippo over the last few weeks starting all the way from chapter 1 up to Woli.

Honestly it's a really really strong manga with Woli being the only black mark against it. There is nothing redeeming about the Ippo Vs Woli fight. Absolutely nothing.
I even like the Malcom Gedo fight reading it again. He actually has a really good personality about him.

The Woli fight just ended up being who had the bigger bunch of plantains.

At least the other fights were against people with tons of experience and we're geniuses, and to top it off we only got to see Ippo hit him maybe 3 times? Someone refresh my memory, the first hit hardly even counts, then there were what 2 punches to Woli's liver?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

897 raw is up.

What happens:

- Woli is all LET'S GO GUYS :3 OW JESUS gently caress. Oh yeah, fist bruise in my ribs. Shah.
- Ippo spends a pretty good amount of time reflecting on the fight. Unsure what hes stewing over in particular. Probably LOL HOW THE gently caress DID I ACTUALLY WIN.
- There is a banana fight. And dick grabbery. No, seriously :( Oh Takamura.
- Coach basically tells Aokimura and Itagaki to prepare for their fights now that Ippo is done. Chapter ends showing the fight stats (time, KO, Ippo's resulting record)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HOW CAN IPPO BE WALKING?! He should be hospitalised for like a month after that fight

Woli fight pisses me off so much

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Samurai spirit, man :respek:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
- Maybe you shouldn't let your boxer get clocked in the head a thousand times per fight.

- gently caress you! He is japaneeeeeseeeeeeee!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Not made by me, but this is awesome and seems like an entirely possible scenario. :v:

http://i46.tinypic.com/mn1d0x.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/28iuult.jpg

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Mr. Deathy posted:

Not made by me, but this is awesome and seems like an entirely possible scenario. :v:

You forgot that Ippo is japanese.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Mr. Deathy posted:

It would be perfect it Ippo's sentences all ended with -dani.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Chapter 897

At least it's over, and we're back to penis humour, so maybe the next fights won't completely suck.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Everything in this manga except for the Woli fight feels like it happened 50 years ago, so for a moment there I forgot that Kimura and Aoki are in different weight classes and thus would not face each other in the Class-A tournament (although I'm sure there's probably a rule against entering more than one boxer from the same gym in the same weight class).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

Everything in this manga except for the Woli fight feels like it happened 50 years ago, so for a moment there I forgot that Kimura and Aoki are in different weight classes and thus would not face each other in the Class-A tournament (although I'm sure there's probably a rule against entering more than one boxer from the same gym in the same weight class).

Itagaki and Ippo are in the same weight class. They just aren't allowed to fight each other.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Serious Frolicking posted:

Itagaki and Ippo are in the same weight class. They just aren't allowed to fight each other.

funny you should mention that

898 is basically More heavy set up for Ippo VS Itagaki, with more Itagaki laughing it off and going "THAT'LL NEVER HAPPEN LOL" It also seems like his goal for his match against Karasawa will be beating him faster than Ippo did. Which like, seems kinda impossible, but should be entertaining, and should also mean that it won't take a million chapters

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

898:

Karasawa was a neat opponent with good backstory if I recall right. He was hyped up as a new-wave champion, and Ippo completely wrecked him. As someone on I-O forums said, I hope that Itagaki tries rushing too much and either wears himself out or makes no progress. He probably won't lose, sadly, but I want him to get a reality check, badly. It's silly in itself to try and compare his results versus Ippo's, particularly because they're different boxer types entirely. Itagaki is big on counters and speedy moves whereas Ippo is rush-and-smash, using his head as a weapon against his oppponents' fists.

That was the last truly awesome fight of Ippo's. I hope that his second appearance isn't sullied by god-moding :mad:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CaptainRat posted:

I still Remember the Miyata/RBJ fight. :smith:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/898/01/

Itagaki needs a better role model.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I don't even remember these people Itagaki is supposed to fight.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Did Mori change up how he draws Itagaki's face? It seems to have changed but I can't quite put my finger on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nahxela posted:

I don't even remember these people Itagaki is supposed to fight.

I vaguely remember Saeki, but I'm drawing a blank on the other guy.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!

Saeki is when Ippo fought him and had one eye completely swollen shut. He managed to beat him because his rhythm was perfect.

Karasawa was the first fight Ippo had right after he "learned" the tekken by knocking logs into the side of the hills. He absolutely beasted the hell out of him.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Did Mori change up how he draws Itagaki's face? It seems to have changed but I can't quite put my finger on it.

He's drawing a bunch of stuff differently now. Since he stopped giving everyone Rob Liefeld proportions they've all developed giraffe necks instead.

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd always wondered how short Ippo was meant to be since his body seemed to be totally wrong for a featherweight.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

No clue, but I'm pretty sure that Mashiba is seven feet tall :shobon:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

You should remember Karasawa. Ippo's fight with him is part of why people hate the recent Ippo fights.

Ippo crushed Karasawa with skill and experience, without really looking troubled once throughout the fight. He finally looked like a real champion.

Then, following that, he seems to have got progressively worse if anything.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The Karasawa bout was in the 600s, I think. Definitely one of my favorite bouts of the series. Ippo completely dominates Karasawa who was hyped up as the true guy to finally slaughter Ippo. To make it even better, it wasn't some fake sort of god-moding a la Woli. Ippo prepares and such for everything and it plays in his favor, big time.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, I just checked and the Karazawa fight happens around chapter 580 (The thing I remember the most about it was that Aoki, Kimura and Superboy had the shits after eating something Takamura bought in one of his trips). That was like 6 years ago!

Edit: Jesus! Aoki was still broccoman and Snoopycool was releasing the chapters.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 24, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Wow, I just checked and the Karazawa fight happens around chapter 580 (The thing I remember the most about it was that Aoki, Kimura and Superboy had the shits after eating something Takamura bought in one of his trips). That was like 6 years ago!

Edit: Jesus! Aoki was still broccoman and Snoopycool was releasing the chapters.
SnoopyCool released some only after another group stepped in and released 20+ volumes. For some reason, SC hit a road block around Sawamura and didn't get moving until these other goons kicked out all those graphic novels. No clue what quality SC's stuff was in at that point :ohdear: They were so horrid starting off.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Takes No Damage posted:

He's drawing a bunch of stuff differently now. Since he stopped giving everyone Rob Liefeld proportions they've all developed giraffe necks instead.

personally I wish he would stop drawing elbows as if their bones were about to poke through their skin

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

ANIME AKBAR posted:

personally I wish he would stop drawing elbows as if their bones were about to poke through their skin

but Miyata is RAZOR SHARP!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oh yeah. 899 raw came out yesterday :v:

Looks like it ends right when the three fighters get to the Hall for their matches. A rather, uh, rushed time-gap. Or was this supposed to happen RIGHT AFTER Ippo's stuff? Anyhow, Itagaki, as predicted, is flustered by his goal. He's focusing on offense too much and is getting knocked around in spars. But we all know he'll go godmode early on and bullet time the hell out of Karasawa :arghfist:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That elbow thing grosses me out too, their limbs look anorexic now. Bony as poo poo :yohoho:

Echoing love for the Karazawa fight. Remember how Ippo pushed him into the corner by sheer force of will? He used to be pretty good at this whole 'boxing' thing what with strategies and techniques and what not. I guess Karazawa's gimmick of doing lots of ab crunches just wasn't enough to faze Ippo, should have jumped around more or something.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I was wondering where my weekly disappointment was! It went up yesterday.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/899/

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I was wondering where my weekly disappointment was! It went up yesterday.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/899/

Don't be like that! This isn't a bad buildup to the fight, and it isn't moving at glacial speed.

You're just down because the series hasn't been good for at least a hundred issues. Lighten up! Be positive! I'm sure this fight won't be horrible and stupid!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Judging by how he vaulted in to this, I'm inclined to believe that the three matches will be over in a few chapters (Itagaki will be 99% of it. Aokimura will get individual pages or something).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm looking forward to this because I enjoy Itagaki entering the Matrix more than Ippo being a punching bag.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Calling it now, Itagaki is putting the bar too high and thus he will gently caress up horribly.

But whatever happens give us more Aokimura :argh:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

Calling it now, Itagaki is putting the bar too high and thus he will gently caress up horribly.
Hoping it comes to a decision, and he's left feeling all :negative:-like

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Geop posted:

Hoping it comes to a decision, and he's left feeling all :negative:-like

I'd take a decision 100000000 times instead of miyata tightrope counter walking with all the deus ex machina victories and equally bullshit defeats that brings.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i had never read this series until two weeks ago, always thinking it would be boring

i am just starting chatpter 184 and it has been one of the most unbelievable buildups to something i have ever read. the last page of 183 would have made waiting to read 184 unbearable. I haven't even hit the ring yet in 184 and it is already so tense it is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i had never read this series until two weeks ago, always thinking it would be boring

i am just starting chatpter 184 and it has been one of the most unbelievable buildups to something i have ever read. the last page of 183 would have made waiting to read 184 unbearable. I haven't even hit the ring yet in 184 and it is already so tense it is insane
:3: Warms my heart to see newer folks' reactions to the series.

The Date fight is definitely one of the highlights of the series. You're in for a treat :dance: And no need to spoiler that stuff. We're caught up to chapter 900 in here for cryin' out loud :shobon: