Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Remmiz posted:

Like boobs.

And boob physics. Don't forget the boob physics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think so. I mean, I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it stays in your inventory.

You can definitely lose the Duster coat, though.

Ah, that's good! I don't actually care about the coat because I only wear the fancy clothes (for getting into poker duels) and the poncho (for shoving Mexicans down staircases) anyway.

Is there a detailed list of the benefits/drawbacks of each honor level somewhere? I do want to become the most legendary rear end in a top hat ever to walk the west, but I'm worried it'll make the game annoying due to constant bounty hunters or shops not serving me or something.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Paint-Drinking Pete posted:

I got my first ever accusation of hacking a game over xbox live today after going 23 and 2 in a gang shootout. I've never felt more like a cowboy in my entire life.

Pardner, yer cheatin'! Yeah the closest I've ever come to that in RDR is going 22-0 in a Hardcore Gang Shootout and one guy saying "Wow, that guy must be good."
I had never felt more like a cowboy either. My inner child was elated.

Speaking of multiplayer, have they fixed the invisibility bugs in shootouts yet?

e: Wait, the duster is honor related? What else do you get for being an rear end in a top hat besides the horse then? It wouldn't make sense for goodies to get two things and assholes to get one.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

UGGGH. Please people, when starting a new game try and remember which save you have the 100% in.

:ughh:

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I have a question about horses. Apart from the mission where you have to do it, I've never broken a horse. I've never bought a horse. Every time my horse dies I whistle and another magic horse comes trotting over.

1) What type of horse do I have? How can I find this out?
2) Why should I ever think about spending so much money on a horse that might be better?
3) What happens if I buy a 3 star horse and it dies?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

You're just getting some plain horse.

What you're buying is a deed for a horse. Basically if you go to your items and use the deed, that's the horse that will respond to your call. If the horse dies, you don't have to spend any more money because you can just use the deed again. You can use it as many times as you want.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 5, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
1: No idea, check the wiki in the first post cause that's how I found this poo poo out.

2: Horses with 3 star ratings are awesome, and fast.

3: Deeds are infinite. That means when a cougar rapes your horse, and it will happen.. you can just go into your inventory and activate the deed (just like taking medicine or using chewing tobacco) and it will save your game and activate the horse. Wait a few mins and then whistle and the new horse will come trotting up.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
Deeds are fantastic, the best part being you only need to buy three of them. The three stars are all generally easy to come by, and once you break them in you can buy the deed for them and have a fast port-a-horse ready to go.

It does make me wonder though why they put so many deeds in to the game yet provide you with a three-star horse so early. I thought they'd make me work a little longer before getting in to the great horses.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
guess I'll buy a horse deed then. I think I can get the saddler already.

So if my horse dies and I just whistle for a new one without first using the deed again will I end up with a bog standard lovely horse again? I'm just wondering why you need to use the deeds over and over again when as far as I can tell, I have an endless supply of magic horses at my command anyway.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

So if my horse dies and I just whistle for a new one without first using the deed again will I end up with a bog standard lovely horse again? I'm just wondering why you need to use the deeds over and over again when as far as I can tell, I have an endless supply of magic horses at my command anyway.

Some people (me) like to break their own horses. I'd rather start out on the bottom and work my way up.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

This game. This loving game.

I was doing the hunter quest thing where you have to find 5 boar tusks and 3 armadillo shells...

I got the armadillo bits and went off to the mountainy area that has a picture of a boar on the map.

I see no boars, so I set up a camp fire; I awaken at midnight.

A boar! Yes! So I kill the thin-----MEOWWWWWW Ahhkkk cougar poo poo poo poo poo poo as I get knocked off my horse. But no worries I kill the thin----MEOOWWWWWW gently caress gently caress ok killed it no proble---Arooooooo!!! Wolf pack!!! So I started shooting a few wolves and then one jumps out and bites my arm and my guy is frantically flapping his wolf-gripped arm when MEOOOWWWWW *more* fuckin cougars? No problem though, the cougar is now fighting the wolves!

I manage to fend off the wolves, and the cougars, I hop on my horse to go search for the assload of dead pigs that I'd killed along with the hoard of kitty cats and wolves when MEOOWWWW fuckin cat killed my horse! So I kill that cat then *another* one pops out of the bushes and knocks me rolling down some hill and finally kills me :qq:.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That... doesn't sound normal at all. Did you accidentally use some bait while trying to make camp?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

That... doesn't sound normal at all. Did you accidentally use some bait while trying to make camp?

A bunch of animals show up to murder you when you're looking for a totally different animal that never shows up? Sounds like hunting in RDR to me.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

sounds normal to me. Every time I go up to that mountainy bit near the snowline I get all sorts of poo poo going down. I had a similiar experience trying to get the boar tusks and the "knife two cougars to death" challenge.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes nature just says "Yea.. gently caress this guy."

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

While poking around Mexico I get killed by giant gangs of rear end in a top hat wolves all the time, but I've never had huge mobs of different kinds of animals go mental around me before. The closest I've seen was when I dispatched a group of coyotes and was promptly attacked by several wolves.

Homicidal cougars aside, the wildlife really adds a lot of atmosphere to this game. I was in a nasty shootout at Gaptooth Breach, fighting some bounty hunters or a gang or something. I was on one side of the little road that runs through the area, while a dozen or so bad guys were on the other. As bullets and screams are flying back and forth, I was surprised to see a single armadillo meandering down the exact center of the road, right out in the open, at the most leisurely, not-giving-a-fuckest pace ever. It was absurd and hilarious, but it somehow fit the setting so well. I'd almost expect to see that sort of thing in an old Clint Eastwood movie or something.

vvv That reminds me of the Lights, Camera, Action! stranger mission. After I completed all of his tasks, the guy just basically said, "alright cool, here's thirteen bucks, get out of here." Offended, I smashed his window with his face, at which point he ran out of the door screaming and was instantly devoured by wolves. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 5, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Grapplejack posted:

A bunch of animals show up to murder you when you're looking for a totally different animal that never shows up? Sounds like hunting in RDR to me.

My favorite is the random events where you save a guy being chased by wolves.

Pretty sure this took place in Tall Trees and I had just finished saving him.

Him: "Thank you Mister! I thought I was a....
*Cougar out of nowhere kills him*
Him: "AUGHHHGHHH!!"
Me: :aaa:

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Thanks for helping me apprehend those criminals Mister Marston *accidentally brush past the deputy on my horse*

WANTED FOR ASSAULTING A LAW OFFICER

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mr Cuddles posted:

Thanks for helping me apprehend those criminals Mister Marston *accidentally brush past the deputy on my horse*

WANTED FOR ASSAULTING A LAW OFFICER

One of the first things I did in Mexico was to get into a fight with a guy, accidentally throw a punch in the direction of an officer from twenty feet away, and immediately get shot to death over the ensuing $5 fine because my previous opponent punched the poo poo out of me when I tried to surrender :saddowns:

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

JayKay posted:

I did that outside of a Mexican town and he was immediately run over by a stagecoach

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was out at Hanging Rock looking for that god damned treasure for a good 25 minutes [spoiler]gently caress TREASURE[/spoilers]. During my scramble from rock to rock I came across a guy sitting next to his dead wife. Nothing's on the mini-map to indicate this was an event so I thought, huh I should go talk to him to avenge his loss or something. NO! He pulls out a revolver and shoots himself. :aaaaa:

Anybody else find anything that was ambient but interesting?

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Mr Cuddles posted:

The deed determines which horse you get. So, if your deeded horse dies and you whistle, you'll get a random one. Use the deed, however, and you'll guarantee that your 3 star horse comes when you call. Also, using a deed creates an immediate quick save point, which can be useful.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

I was out at Hanging Rock looking for that god damned treasure for a good 25 minutes [spoiler]gently caress TREASURE[/spoilers]. During my scramble from rock to rock I came across a guy sitting next to his dead wife. Nothing's on the mini-map to indicate this was an event so I thought, huh I should go talk to him to avenge his loss or something. NO! He pulls out a revolver and shoots himself. :aaaaa:

Anybody else find anything that was ambient but interesting?

There's one that is kinda the opposite of yours. It's a dead guy, and his wife is lying next to him with like a bottle of beer or some other drink. Then she drinks it, lies down next to him, and dies.

Also treasure rocks, those are my favorite quests. Although, the one I'm on now is like "oddly shaped rock on a cliff maybe", which I'm thinking will be as hard to find as that thrice cursed "tree with a skull on it"...

Oh yeah, a tip for newbies. If you're chasing the train through the big tunnel at the far north of the map, don't go full speed out of the end of the tunnel because there's a bit of a drop and you won't have time to stop your horse. I survived the 87 foot fall though :psyduck:.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

JayKay posted:

The last time I tried that I accidentaly missed the wolves and shot the dude in the leg, which gave the wolves the chance to catch up and devour him.

haven't been attacked by a wolf since though...I think we're on a team now

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3: Deeds are infinite. That means when a cougar rapes your horse, and it will happen.. you can just go into your inventory and activate the deed (just like taking medicine or using chewing tobacco) and it will save your game and activate the horse. Wait a few mins and then whistle and the new horse will come trotting up.

The best part of this that the autosave lets you keep everything you've hunted and harvested if you get horribly mauled to death. The very first thing I do, after a bear kills my horse and I quickly stumble up to kill him in deadeye (you can usually nail him head-on as he turns around for a second charge) is summon a new horse and grab that autosave. That way I can keep everything I've collected when I'm slaughtered by the other bears around the corner.

The best part is when you actually survive and make a stand, fending off a wave or two on foot, as you wait through the horse summoning delay. Then finally you whistle and up runs Bullet the Wonder Horse and you hop on and ride and it's all pretty drat :clint:

Also, the bolt-action rifle is surprisingly good for close range bear headshots in deadeye.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

2 quick questions

How do I go about playing online with you guys and how do you do the Master Hunter II challenges? I think I gathered you need to kill X of the animal you're hunting? But trying to kill whatever X is of cougars with the online characters reduced health is driving me nuts

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday
There's usually a rock or a building or something you can stand on/hide in and they are a big help for the Master Hunter II challenges

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Something like that actually happened to me and my buddy in a private free roam today. We were dicking around near Thieves' Landing, and all the sudden I get raped by a cougar. So my buddy runs up and knifes the cougar, I get killed by another, he knifes that one, I get chased around by a pack of wolves, he knifed all them, and then another cougar makes my horse and I lunch, right before my friend knifed it to death as well. All that, three cougars and a pack of wolves, happened rapid fire one after the other, in a span of about 5 minutes. My friend, who had never really played RDR before, was understandably spazzing out and just kinda rolling around everywhere with his knife out.

I never laughed so hard in my life.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 5, 2010

Jtomeo
Jan 10, 2003
Its probably been mentioned earlier, but animals can't enter buildings. So if you're having trouble knifing animals for the hunter challenges, just duck into the doorway of a cabin or something and the cougars will just stand in front of you waiting to get stabbed in the face :)

Wild Bill Hiccup
Mar 27, 2010
Searched a few pages back but I couldn't find anything related to my problem...

I try going into Free Roam by pressing X at the main title menu. It goes to the Free Roam loading screen, then a message says something like it's putting me back into Free Roam because I was disconnected due to my connection with other players, even though I never got into Free Roam in the first place. It then goes back to loading Free Roam, and the cycle continues until I'm forced to turn off my Xbox.

I've been able to join one Free Roam game, where there was one other player, but it took me like 5 cycles of what I mentioned above and ever since then I haven't been able to join at all. Has anyone else encountered this?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

I try going into Free Roam by pressing X at the main title menu. It goes to the Free Roam loading screen, then a message says something like it's putting me back into Free Roam because I was disconnected due to my connection with other players, even though I never got into Free Roam in the first place. It then goes back to loading Free Roam, and the cycle continues until I'm forced to turn off my Xbox.

I've been able to join one Free Roam game, where there was one other player, but it took me like 5 cycles of what I mentioned above and ever since then I haven't been able to join at all. Has anyone else encountered this?

I did last night. I tried fiddling with my firewall but I hear it happens a lot to people who have AT&T DSL and use their Motorola modem. Then again, this particular repeat free roam problem hasn't started happened until the last few days.

Considering that Rockstar released a patch designed to fix this problem, there's probably problems on their end as well. More loving issues.

Anyway, a bit humor: I got probably my last bounty last night. It was on Nekoti Rock and I was just tired of dealing with the nonsense of roping and what not. But by the time I eliminated the gang and was heading up the mountain, I figured I could snag him.

Unfortunately, he was on a horse bearing down on me. I went into dead eye and tried to disarm, but then figured shooting his horse would be better. His horse bites it and this loser goes FLYING down the mountain. poo poo. I run down to get him, only to find he slid and is running for his life. Horse by my side, I bolt after him.

I catch up only to find he's pissed off a boar and is getting knocked around. The next five minutes have the boar ramming him hard, and he taking a few shots at the boar that go nowhere. Finally, the boar knocks down the bounty, and I kill both with the pistol, grab proof, and run off.

This game.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Does anyone know if Rockstar has said anything else about future DLC plans past the free co-op pack? I'd find it hard to believe they aren't going to release more, but I'm curious if any actual details have come out.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah like maybe some new cheats nudge nudge wink wink

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Protip posted:

Does anyone know if Rockstar has said anything else about future DLC plans past the free co-op pack? I'd find it hard to believe they aren't going to release more, but I'm curious if any actual details have come out.
They have. They said something like 'more DLC some time during the summer'

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

I had the same problem. The only why I could enter free roam was by starting a single player game and then selecting multiplayer in the menu.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I'm pretty sure a while back they mentioned a couple DLC updates, and they haven't given us the Master Hunter and Merchant outfits yet that they said were coming out for free due to all the trouble people had with glitches and stuff.

They need to add more multiplayer stuff in West Elizabeth, as it is there is NOTHING except a Legendary Hunt and a FFA grab the bag in the railroad camp.

It's weird when you think about it, WE has no gang hideouts or anything. Cochinay would have been perfect, and I think the Serendipity would have been fun as well.

I would also LOVE if they added more objectives based multiplayer, not just grab the bag or hold your own. Something like one team having to get the mine cart out of Gaptooth Breach while the other tries to set dynamite to collapse the cave.

And why the hell is the Diez Coronas Hold Your Own the hardest drat multiplayer match to get, even though it is the best? They need more long distance games like that. Atleast let us be more specific in trying to find a certain match (going to start a match in Free Roam is useless because nobody joins, they are too busy doing gang hideouts or whatever).

One more idea I had today talking with coworkers was if they could add the train to multiplayer, there is a poo poo load of games they could come up with. One team on the train circling around New Austin protecting a bag of gold, the other group of bandits has to try and steal the bag off the moving train and take it back to Twin Rocks or wherever.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Rockstar said in May that they had at least three DLC packages planned, but they would only give details on "Outlaws to the End". I'm guessing that the next two probably aren't more co-op missions, but I really hope that they do make some more at some point. They're by far the most fun thing in the game for me. I find the rest of the RDR multiplayer experience pretty weak.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The funniest animal-related thing that happened to me was in the second last hunting quest.

Wandering around Ojo del Diablo there's a *thump*, the screen goes red, and Marston is lying on the ground with a large cat standing on his back.
Screen text: "You have located Khan the legendary jaguar."

In Revolutionary Mexico, legendary jaguar locate you.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Where can I consistently find raccoons and skunks?

end spoiler Playing as Jack just isn't the same as playing with John. At least I can carry out my homicidal tendencies without feeling too bad about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Renoistic posted:

Where can I consistently find raccoons and skunks?

Armadillo. There's a trick to getting them to spawn consistently.

• Locked thread