Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This has probably been asked before but its a hella long thread, Whats the best way to level up in multi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Renoistic posted:

Where can I consistently find raccoons and skunks?

The road from Armadillo to McFarlane's Ranch once you go up the hill is a good spot.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Dan Didio posted:

Armadillo. There's a trick to getting them to spawn consistently.

Circle round the general store and after a couple of circuits they spawn in the brush heading south. It's very reliable and worked for me 100% of the time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mr Cuddles posted:

Circle round the general store and after a couple of circuits they spawn in the brush heading south. It's very reliable and worked for me 100% of the time.

They spawn everytime you circle the block, usually. And if you go clockwise round the block it spawns skunks and anti-clockwise spawns racoons. I poo poo you not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the help everyone.

By the way serious spoilers What's your favorite theory for the identity of the mysterious man in "I know you"? I'm leaning towards Death or Fate myself, but there seems to be dozens of theories. I also heard you can see him when John gets killed, but I've never noticed him myself.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Renoistic posted:

By the way serious spoilers What's your favorite theory for the identity of the mysterious man in "I know you"? I'm leaning towards Death or Fate myself, but there seems to be dozens of theories. I also heard you can see him when John gets killed, but I've never noticed him myself.

You can't.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Renoistic posted:

Other popular theories include God or the Devil, of course. I think he's God - the 'I'm an accountant of sorts' line fits best with that I think - although he could also be an agent thereof I suppose.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Renoistic posted:

My personal theory is that he's just a random dude that likes to mess with old outlaws by giving them arbitrary tasks. John was really drunk and completely missed him at the end. The fact that they are on a hill where John is buried is just a coincidence. I don't know where you find dozens of theories on this, he's either the devil, god, fate, death, or something else supernatural or its my theory.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Where can I consistently find raccoons and skunks?

West Elizabeth is great for raccoons if you have it unlocked that is. Otherwise Hennigan's Stead at night/early morning is a surefire bet. I have luck with skunks around the same times and in the same places as foxes and raccoons. Check Riley's Charge, the desert around Hangman's Rock or up in Hennigan's Stead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fennesz posted:

West Elizabeth is great for raccoons if you have it unlocked that is. Otherwise Hennigan's Stead at night/early morning is a surefire bet. I have luck with skunks around the same times and in the same places as foxes and raccoons. Check Riley's Charge, the desert around Hangman's Rock or up in Hennigan's Stead.

The place just North/West of the Wreck of the Serendipity in West Elizabeth has a few, as well as the odd skunk and a lot of foxes. Careful with bait, though, The first time I used bait there, two cougars spawned right the gently caress on me before I could even get a couple yards away from the bait.

The outskirts of Armadillo always has one or two, but they're pretty unreliable. I remember going to Armadillo once to hunt for some, then as soon as I gave up and was about to leave I nearly stepped on a raccoon. Of course, as soon as I turned around to find him he'd disappeared into the darkness. Slippery bastards.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I always thought he was like Judge Holden in Blood Meridian, he's sme kind of supernatural being, but not in a Christian sense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so has anyone been compiling a list of all the classic movie references in this game? I'm not super into westerns but I've already noticed a bunch of them - the gatling gun "trojan horse" idea from the Ft. Mercer mission is from The Outlaw Josey Wales, the Great Mexican Train Robbery mission is very similar to a scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the oil town of Plainview is of course named after Daniel Day Lewis' character in There Will Be Blood - I'm sure there are a ton more that I've missed and I'm only like halfway through the game anyway. What else you guys found?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Earwicker posted:

What else you guys found?

The Armoured Wagon at the end of the Mexico missions is basically identical to the one from the start of 3:10 to Yuma

The "Guy Cutting Up a Whore" random event is basically Unforgiven, and the "Shoot The Noose" events are Blondie's trick from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 6, 2010

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

so has anyone been compiling a list of all the classic movie references in this game? I'm not super into westerns but I've already noticed a bunch of them - the gatling gun "trojan horse" idea from the Ft. Mercer mission is from The Outlaw Josey Wales

My dad and I just watched A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More because we're both playing Red Dead, so I noticed a few things. The thing mentioned above also appears in Fistful; the poncho you get after arriving in Mexico is a nod to the one Clint's character wears; when you fire multiple shots in deadeye with a revolver you fan it just like the Man With No Name does. (although I think that's just a gunslinging technique in general? I know nothin about guns) There's probably more stuff I didn't notice.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

The place just North/West of the Wreck of the Serendipity in West Elizabeth has a few, as well as the odd skunk and a lot of foxes. Careful with bait, though, The first time I used bait there, two cougars spawned right the gently caress on me before I could even get a couple yards away from the bait.

The outskirts of Armadillo always has one or two, but they're pretty unreliable. I remember going to Armadillo once to hunt for some, then as soon as I gave up and was about to leave I nearly stepped on a raccoon. Of course, as soon as I turned around to find him he'd disappeared into the darkness. Slippery bastards.

Yeah the area just north of the Serendipity and East/North-East of Tall Trees are absolutely swarming with cougars. If you skin one or two you're pretty much guaranteed to have two more spawn 15 feet away.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Tewratomeh posted:

The outskirts of Armadillo always has one or two, but they're pretty unreliable.

Read a few posts back... there's a totally foolproof consistently reproducible way of getting them to spawn just outside Armadillo.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Earwicker posted:

I Know You might reference High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider, and Blood Meridan. The white horse might be a reference to Pale Rider. Landon Ricketts looks just like Sam Elliott, who has been in multiple Westerns (very minor role in Butch Cassidy, Tombstone, Quick and the Dead TV movie) and basically plays grizzled old cowboys now (Big Lebowski, Ghost Rider). The money achievement/trophy is called "More Than a Fistful", probably a reference to A Fistful of Dollars. The achievement/trophy Have Gun Will travel is probably a reference to the show of the same name. I think I'm the only person other than my Dad that has even watched that show, so you guys probably aren't as stoked about it as I am.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Renoistic posted:

The Angel of Judgement.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The achievement/trophy Have Gun Will travel is probably a reference to the show of the same name. I think I'm the only person other than my Dad that has even watched that show, so you guys probably aren't as stoked about it as I am.

You aren't the only ones. That was one of the best TV westerns of its time.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Howard Beale posted:

You aren't the only ones. That was one of the best TV westerns of its time.

Sorry, I meant of people that I know, glad to hear someone else digs Paladin.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Earwicker posted:

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I assumed Dutch was a reference to Ernest Borgnine's character in The Wild Bunch (yeah, it's also that character's nationality, like Irish). Likewise, I assumed Pike's Basin was another nod to a character in The Wild Bunch.

I also got a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now vibe from (endgame)the Dutch plot thread, where he's gone into the wilderness to make himself leader of the natives and locked himself up in an isolated fortress.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I also got a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now vibe from (endgame)the Dutch plot thread, where he's gone into the wilderness to make himself leader of the natives and locked himself up in an isolated fortress.

That and he kept talking about things bigger than looting, killing and generally being an outlaw. He seemed to be an aspiring philosopher :3:

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Got my first ever Platinum trophy for this game last night, it felt pretty good but at the same time now I'm kinda sad because there's not really anything left to do. I guess there's more DLC coming but we have no details. Luckily I just got Demon's Souls!

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Crossing into Mexico on a hand-lined ferry, and the line getting shot, is likely a reference to The Outlaw Josey Wales.

The sharpshooter challenge where you shoot birds from a train is a reference to Unforgiven. Also, the stranger plot "Funny Man" is probably an Unforgiven reference. I also feel like the pragmatic sheriff in Armadillo is inspired at least a little by Gene Hackman's character in Unforgiven.

John playing both sides of the Mexican conflict for his own ends is probably a reference to Fistful of Dollars.

A lot of the game seems to be directly inspired by The Wild Bunch, with the theme of the old west dying and former gunslingers struggling to change, adapt or cling to their old way of life. Also, the plot element of outlaws taking refuge in Mexico is from this film (other films as well, but seeing as how much of the game is inspired by The Wild Bunch, I'm guessing this is where the idea came from). There's a mission in Blackwater that is essentially the opening scene of the Wild Bunch.

This is fun - any others?

edit: duh, Rio Bravo is a reference to Rio Bravo

MojoAZ fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2010

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drew MacFarlane (Bonnie's father) reminds me a lot of Brian Dennahy's character from Silverado in terms of his appearance and general manner of speaking though somewhat different in personality. I think that's probably a common western archetype though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MojoAZ posted:

There's a mission in Blackwater that is essentially the opening scene of the Wild Bunch.

Oh yeah, I figured the rooftop sniping bit was inspired by The Wild Bunch as soon as I came to it in the game, but I'd forgotten about it until now. The scene where you're in Fort Mercer with the minigun sort of reminds me of the finale of The Wild Bunch, too, but then gatling guns were a big Western staple in general.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish you could properly rob banks in this game. If they added that and recruiting posse members in single player (ala San Andreas), this would be the perfect game.

Tommy Callahan
Sep 17, 2008

OH MY GOD! WE'RE BURNING ALIVE!

Earwicker posted:

Drew MacFarlane (Bonnie's father) reminds me a lot of Brian Dennahy's character from Silverado in terms of his appearance and general manner of speaking though somewhat different in personality. I think that's probably a common western archetype though.

THANK YOU. I've had this game since release day and his character had been bugging me because I knew he reminded me of someone, it was driving me loving nuts.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
So I've pretty much just been playing Co-op now and I was wondering: I'm playing in advanced, and I just can't complete Walton's Gold. How do you move all those carts that are cluttering your way?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Eggplant Ronin posted:

So I've pretty much just been playing Co-op now and I was wondering: I'm playing in advanced, and I just can't complete Walton's Gold. How do you move all those carts that are cluttering your way?

Hahaha, it glitched. Restart and hope you're luckier.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I wish you could properly rob banks in this game. If they added that and recruiting posse members in single player (ala San Andreas), this would be the perfect game.

Being able to hijack trains (apart from that one mission) would be nice too.

When I found the railroad camp in tall trees I poked around hoping I'd find one of those little rail cart things that you have to pump up and down but no such luck :(

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Kly posted:

Hahaha, it glitched. Restart and hope you're luckier.

It's never NOT done that for me, so figured that was just how it was!

Advanced co-op is glitchy as hell (objects and enemies not spawning, allowing more than four people into a game, the aforementioned carts) but regular co-op has never hosed up on me outside of my hat not appearing occasionally.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Oh, weird. I've never had any glitches in the co-op missions and very few in free roam. Horses got stuck in the ground a lot in single player, but that was about it. Maybe I'm just lucky? I'm playing on PS3, if that makes a difference.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Eggplant Ronin posted:

It's never NOT done that for me, so figured that was just how it was!

Advanced co-op is glitchy as hell (objects and enemies not spawning, allowing more than four people into a game, the aforementioned carts) but regular co-op has never hosed up on me outside of my hat not appearing occasionally.

We were unable to complete The Escape on Advanced because enemies would start shooting us hundreds of yards away.

On one retry I loaded up on the hill, didn't even have time to draw my rifle, took a bullet in the head and was down. I figured Advanced was supposed to be harder but good god getting sniped by 5 gatling guns half a mile away is hard :(

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
:psypop: I can't believe I just read 107 pages of the exact same arguments and questions on a 3 page loop.

Content: Lets compare (dickwave) meaningless, barely game related stats; I have managed to survive a 304.33ft fall with my horse. Any takers?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think my record is 298 feet and I have no clue how I did it.

On an unrelated note, I have everything I need for the Bollard Gang outfit, except for the scrap from the tailor at Thieves' Landing. Yet, no matter how many times I save to wait or how long I dick around, the tailor is never in his store. I already bought the fancy suit from him so I know he's supposed to be there.

I have a sneaking suspicion he was one of the random people I shoved into the lake so that there would be no witnesses to my murder and skinning of an innocent pig :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

HAL9100 posted:

:psypop: I can't believe I just read 107 pages of the exact same arguments and questions on a 3 page loop.

Content: Lets compare (dickwave) meaningless, barely game related stats; I have managed to survive a 304.33ft fall with my horse. Any takers?
:smug:
* Biggest fall survived
* 241.82 ft.

* Biggest fall survived with horse
* 398.67 ft.

I killed two horses back to back by sliding off of a ridge by going just an inch too far. Luckily I didn't do it when I was using Penny my lucky pony :3:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 7, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think my record is 298 feet and I have no clue how I did it.

On an unrelated note, I have everything I need for the Bollard Gang outfit, except for the scrap from the tailor at Thieves' Landing. Yet, no matter how many times I save to wait or how long I dick around, the tailor is never in his store. I already bought the fancy suit from him so I know he's supposed to be there.

I have a sneaking suspicion he was one of the random people I shoved into the lake so that there would be no witnesses to my murder and skinning of an innocent pig :(

If you did kill him the game would have let you know and even if it did and you missed it it takes 5 in game days for a shopkeeper to respawn.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
I'm not too far into the game but I have a question--where can I find the beavers needed for the Daedalus and Son stranger mission? Is it just up in Canada which I don't have unlocked yet, or can I find them earlier? I keep looking along the river but I can't find them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Chemical Shift posted:

I'm not too far into the game but I have a question--where can I find the beavers needed for the Daedalus and Son stranger mission? Is it just up in Canada which I don't have unlocked yet, or can I find them earlier? I keep looking along the river but I can't find them at all.

Just Tall Trees, I think.

• Locked thread