Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chemical Shift posted:

I realized you're right, and then I realized that since I'm in Minnesota, "North+Cold/Snowy" becomes Canada in my head.

That's interesting, as a west coast Canadian I think of Minnesota when I think of cold and snowy.

Here's a funny bit of Canadian government propaganda that is sort of fitting for this discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lab6gyWsMXo

"Men don't wear pistols in Canada" - Mountie, 1898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fuzz posted:

You mean being either an angelic saint or a satanic rapist monster, with nothing in between? You know, like every other Bioware game.

Mass Effect (especially 2) doesn't really do that, it's more like "does whatever it takes" vs. "put up with people's poo poo and try to be nice". You can pretty much play entirely "evil" without feeling like you're some psychopath. Definitely a jerk though.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Earwicker posted:

I didn't see it that way. The rebels don't show much sign that they will necessarily be any better than Sanchez's regime. Reyes seems to be a similar kind of rear end in a top hat to Allende and just as likely to be a horrible dictator. A fairly common cycle in many revolutions especially in Latin America and eastern Europe. Mexico isn't truly changed as a result of Marton's actions.

endgame spoiler
if you read a newspaper after you finish the game, you see that your theory comes to pass and reyes turns out to be a piece of poo poo, too

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~

Oodles of Wootles posted:

reyes turns out to be a piece of poo poo, too

That's pretty obvious from the main story missions.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Koholint posted:

That's pretty obvious from the main story missions.

RDR: It's Pretty Obvious Where This is Going: R* Ham Hands Edition

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Fuzz posted:

You mean being either an angelic saint or a satanic rapist monster, with nothing in between? You know, like every other Bioware game.

The Mass Effect games are pretty different from KOTOR and Dragon Age. You can range from "Space Badass" to "Space Badass with Attitude."

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Holy poo poo! I was not expecting them to actually add missions relating to (late game spoiler) your wife and son! I just got to that point and it's immensely satisfying given everything you've gone through up until that point. I dread what's about to come, though :ohdear:

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

GenoCanSing posted:

A-fuckin-men. I could sit and play Diez Coronas bag games all day. You got it all - horses, cannons, gattlings, tons of great sniping spots (and spots to snipe the snipers [and spots to snipe the sniper snipers]), rocks to crouch behind to hide in the between the camps. That game seriously is the most fun I've had in RDR I think.

I would kill for more gang matches in big open areas like this, and I wish this game would come up more often. I think I've had it maybe twice (and I play a lot, I'm legendary 2 level 49).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I somehow managed to completely avoid seeing any spoilers related to I Know You, and after the bleak god-is-dead senselessness of Marsten's other experiences, the last encounter with the Strange Man was the biggest :aaaaa: I think I've ever seen in a game. Luckily, I came here to find people discussing it!

I definitely don't think he's a conscience or hallucination or anything, as he knows things you don't. I also don't think he's Mephistopheles or Satan or anything like that. After I picked the honorable choices most of the way through, he did this odd little speech about having a son and hoping he'd turn out like Marsten someday.

I'm sort of thinking that he might be God, referencing Jesus' eventual second coming; if I recall correctly, the story in the bible suggests that JC gets pretty mad at his dad a few times before ultimately forgiving him for doing what he had to. That would be consistent with Marsten's actions as chosen by the player, as he was a godless douchebag for a while before coming around and deciding to be a decent person. The ominous "you will be held responsible" theme might be God warning Marsten that going around shooting people to death and burning down Mexico has dire consequences in the end.

Also, I have to agree with the guy from earlier in the thread who said that it was goddamned hilarious that the first thing I did was shove him off a cliff. See ya later God/Satan/whoever :haw:

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision
Is this an optional mission or a main story mission? I have no recollection of what/who you guys are talking about in regard to the spoilers above, and I have completed the game. I guess it was so good I forgot about it.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

AR posted:

Is this an optional mission or a main story mission? I have no recollection of what/who you guys are talking about in regard to the spoilers above, and I have completed the game. I guess it was so good I forgot about it.

It's a Stranger mission.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's a stranger mission, and you have to get it before the endgame. I didn't have any problems finding it, I sort of ran into the guy while out goofing around in that general area. It was so much better when I ran into him by accident than it probably would've been had I looked at a walkthrough or something.

As much as I like that stranger encounter, my favorite is still The Funny Man, especially running into him while in the middle of a gunfight, tucked away in some corner of a gang hideout. It was like something straight out of a Leone western. I was kinda hoping that you'd do an actual mission or two for/with that guy, taking him through dangerous areas being all :clint: while he's freaking out.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

:siren: DLC Announcement! :siren:

Rockstar Games posted:

Today, we are proud to announce plans for an ongoing series of downloadable content for Red Dead Redemption.

Four packs of add-on downloadable content will be released for PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE over the next few months, starting with the Legends and Killers Pack at the beginning of August and culminating with the Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare Pack this fall. These packs follow the recent release of the Free Outlaws to The End Co-Op Mission Pack, which is available now on PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE.

The upcoming downloadable content includes:

Legends and Killers Pack (Releasing beginning of August 2010)
New active map locations, characters and more:

* 9 New Multiplayer map locations more than doubling the amount of territories in the Multiplayer Competitive modes
* 8 New Multiplayer characters play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
* Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding Challenges for single player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Pricing: $9.99 (PlayStation Network), 800 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE)

Liars and Cheats Pack
New Competitive Modes, Multiplayer Mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* Attack and Defend Multiplayer Competitive Mode and Challenges
* New Multiplayer Horse Races complete with mounted combat
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
* Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated Challenges available in single-player and multiplayer
* Release date TBC

Free Roam Pack
Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with new Modes, Challenges and Gang Hideouts to discover:

* Additional Free Roam Challenges
* New action areas and defensive placements
* Posse Scoring / Posse Leaderboards
* New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam
* Release date and pricing TBC

Undead Nightmare Pack
Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong:

* Brand new single player adventure, Challenges and quests
* 8 New Multiplayer Zombie characters
* Additional animals unleashed in the world
* New Dynamic events
* More details to follow...
* Release date TBC

More details on these upcoming packs and other updates will be revealed closer to each release. For more news and information over the coming months, stay tuned here on our Facebook Page, at the Rockstar Newswire, the official Red Dead Redemption website or Twitter.

Undead Nightmare Pack?! :psyduck:

EDIT: VVV Sorry BrokenKnees. I guess I'll always be quicker on the draw. :clint:

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 8, 2010

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
^gently caress you.

Hoping the free roam pack is free, though I'm still waiting for any news of a Lost and Dammed/Ballad of Gay Tony style expansion pack for RDR.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EDIT: Oh what the gently caress man :smith:

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

quote:

Why couldn't this be coming out right away??

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Remmiz posted:

Seriously that poo poo should've been in the game from day 1. Although honestly it probably would've prevented people from doing anything else!

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Remmiz posted:

Because now you'll be willing to pay $10 for it! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So can we expect John Marston, the Wife, and Uncle to come back as zombies?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Rockstar posted:

Legends and Killers Pack (Releasing beginning of August 2010)
Neat, but the map locations are just gonna be areas already in the game and I'm not thrilled about another thrown weapon (how are you gonna top the knife's deadeyeable one-hit kill?), so $9.99 seems steep for some characters and some stuff they already made.

Rockstar posted:

Liars and Cheats Pack
I don't care about any of this stuff besides poker and liars dice, but I really like poker and liars dice, sooo... also horse races suck.

Rockstar posted:

Free Roam Pack
This should be free. Its description reads like little more than a patch.

Rockstar posted:

Undead Nightmare Pack
what :psyduck:

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

This should be free. Its description reads like little more than a patch.

Scuttlebutt says there's the possibility that it will, in fact, be free but will not get released until somewhere like September or October. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

if I recall correctly, the story in the bible suggests that JC gets pretty mad at his dad a few times before ultimately forgiving him for doing what he had to.

I was raised religious and I am fairly sure that this is blatantly false. Jesus gets angry when he clears the temple of money changers and when the pharisees refused to answer his questions. Jesus' anger only ever was formed as zeal for God.

Also God only ever actively tests anyone (Job) with this kind of door #1 door #2 stuff in the bible to settle a bet with Satan. As well as all this, the Strange Man is morally ambiguous, and in no way gives any indication he is trying to save John. On the other hand Satan gives this exact kind of test to Eve, Jesus and half the bible.

There is literally not one thing in the entire course of I Know You that even remotely suggests it's God. He said the same things to me about his son and I tipped the man to gently caress the hooker and I blew the nun's brains out in Dead Eye. Really it makes a lot more sense that he'd be Death (Paradise Lost style) than any positive religious influence.

Seriously, if he's God it is the most blatantly inaccurate representation of anything significant that Rockstar has ever done. That's saying an awful lot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

play as characters from Red Dead Revolver

Let me play as General Diego or so help me god

HAL9100 posted:

Not God

Well scratch that then I guess. I was thinking mostly of the "why have you forsaken me" thing, I think. All that time my parents made me sit in church sure paid off!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 8, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I will get all those DLC packs but I am sad there are no more co-op missions announced.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Awful Nick posted:

:siren: DLC Announcement! :siren:

Undead Nightmare Pack?! :psyduck:

HAY GUYZ KNOW WHAT MAKES A GAME BETTER? ZOMBIES!

:regd08:

Maybe they'll release it around the release of Dead Rising 2 to compete, what do you think?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It'd be nice if one of those packs brought a cheat or something to the single player so you're not stuck playing as a spastic hooplehead and go back to being John.

Do we still need to spoiler that? Playing it safe but it's been over a month now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Peas and Rice posted:

It says it adds more creatures to the wilderness, too. If that's zombies and/or zombie versions of animals, I really hope it can be toggled off. I don't want loving zombie dogs in my lonely Western adventure. That's just stupid.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Peas and Rice posted:

:regd08:

Maybe they'll release it around the release of Dead Rising 2 to compete, what do you think?

Yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

Everybody says that any time there's any mention of zombies in a game. So what if it's played out? It's not just zombies we're talking about, it's Wild West zombies. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Western-themed horror, but I don't see how this is a bad thing. It's an odd choice for single-player, I'll admit, but in keeping with the bleak and strange tone of the game it's not that out of left field.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have it as an option and it could definitely be fun, but good lord it seems overdone.

Red Deadlands Redemption. :clint:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

It says it adds more creatures to the wilderness, too. If that's zombies and/or zombie versions of animals, I really hope it can be toggled off. I don't want loving zombie dogs in my lonely Western adventure. That's just stupid.

It says "Brand new singleplayer adventure." It's going to be a completely separate storyline campaign. The additional animals, if they're present in the vanilla game, will probably be various nasty, non-supernatural critters.

Plus, I strongly doubt Rockstar would be foolish enough to put cheesy survival horror into an atmospheric storyline game and not make it something you can toggle.

gently caress the haters, Undead Nightmare is going to own.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Noxville posted:

Good point. And part of the reason I want a choice in the first place.

I always find it a problem that Rockstar writes lead character so rigidly and refuses the player any choice in the matter. GTA4 becomes an incoherent mess when when Niko spends a cutscene moping about not wanting to be a killer not two minutes after I've ran over a dozen pedestrians on purpose. I don't mean we have to have faceless non-entities like your character in Fallout 3, but it's possible to write a character with enough flexibility to allow the player to at least have the illusion of playing the character rather than just watching him interact with the world.

I think for a game to give you the freedom to really change the world, it has to give you the freedom to gently caress yourself over as well. Remember Morrowind where you could kill characters that are essential to the game, but then it would pop up with a message like "Welp, you can keep playing, but you just hosed up the story. Better reload an old save if you want to beat the game." Personally, I really liked that and I was disappointed that they took that aspect out of Oblivion.

For instance in Mexico I would love to have had the option to just pop De Santa in the face when it became painfully obvious that he was going to betray you. Maybe then you just have to take a more round-about, difficult path to finding Williamson and Esculera.

If games gave you the option to do whatever you want, but with the risk that you can really screw yourself, then I think you could break out of everyone's favourite "angelic saviour/demonic baby rapist" dichotomy. It would be so drat cool to be able to play a subtle, nuanced, evil character where you had to play intelligently and manipulate people, or use them to get what you need, then you had the option of killing them later. That seems way more fun then running around like a psychopath, murdering everyone to rack up "evil points". However, I understand that a game where you can play for ~30 hours building up your character, then gently caress up and make the game unwinnable might not be a best seller, so we probably won't see something like that anytime soon.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's going to be better than the new XCom game, that's for sure.

Personally I'm just looking forward to any new single player content with which to take my Marston into action in.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Angry Diplomat posted:

It all depends on how they handle it. It'd be interesting to see a RDR version of Nazi Zombies. Or defend El Presidio from endless waves of undead mexicans.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Awful Nick posted:

Personally I'm just looking forward to any new single player content with which to take my Marston into action in.

You're looking awful hungry Miss McFarlane. And awful thin these days. Now hold it right there, I'm a married man. Hold it! ARRGH!!!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

You're looking awful hungry Miss McFarlane. And awful thin these days. Now hold it right there, I'm a married man. Hold it! ARRGH!!!

This is completely backwards. Bonnie is alive and married; John is decomposing

Fun aside: My last name is McFarlane, My Dad stopped by on the weekend and found the whole thing completely hilarious.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Plus, I strongly doubt Rockstar would be foolish enough to put cheesy survival horror into an atmospheric storyline game and not make it something you can toggle.
Hard to be survival horror when you've got three dozen guns with 750+ bullets. :clint:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tewratomeh posted:

Western-themed horror

Hopefully there will at least be some new soundtrack material by Fields of the Nephilim

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Carbohydrates posted:

Hard to be survival horror when you've got three dozen guns with 750+ bullets. :clint:

You're gonna run out eventually :ohdear:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Liars and Cheats Pack
New Competitive Modes, Multiplayer Mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* Attack and Defend Multiplayer Competitive Mode and Challenges
* New Multiplayer Horse Races complete with mounted combat
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated Challenges available in single-player and multiplayer
* Release date TBC
gently caress. YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

gently caress zombie dogs, I just don't want to deal with undead cougars. fuckers are bad enough when I know I can just shoot them and be done with it

• Locked thread