Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

gently caress zombie dogs, I just don't want to deal with undead cougars. fuckers are bad enough when I know I can just shoot them and be done with it

At least your zombie horse will get back up after a zombie cougar slaughters it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Reaching the Desperado level of Honor should let you become a zombie lord and ride around on a zombie horse shooting devil bullets at innocent citizens.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Reaching the Desperado level of Honor should let you become a zombie lord and ride around on a zombie horse shooting devil bullets at innocent citizens.

A flaming zombie horse which shoots mario style fire balls complete with sound byte.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

quote:

* New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam

I'm not one of these Anti-DLC crusaders here but I mean, don't schedule fixing your game.

If your multiplayer is broken, fix it. Don't treat it like its a loving feature that you're adding. That really chaps my rear end.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I for one will be missing my griefing features so I will be giving grief until it's "fixed".

You level 1? I'm going to shoot you. Welcome to the game.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Green Puddin posted:

I for one will be missing my griefing features so I will be giving grief until it's "fixed".

You level 1? I'm going to shoot you. Welcome to the game.

So what is it with the griefing in this game?

I picked it up yesterday and a friend of mine met up with me on the multiplayer to show me how it worked. We attacked a place where we had to push a cart out of a mine. We won, but then 4 other players showed up and everyone just shot each other for like 10 minutes. No one could get away either because they would just respawn near where they died. Then some one tripped off the mine mission again and it was a clusterfuck of gang members and players just shooting everything.

Do you get XP for killing other players? Does it unlock anything?

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

So what is it with the griefing in this game?

I picked it up yesterday and a friend of mine met up with me on the multiplayer to show me how it worked. We attacked a place where we had to push a cart out of a mine. We won, but then 4 other players showed up and everyone just shot each other for like 10 minutes. No one could get away either because they would just respawn near where they died. Then some one tripped off the mine mission again and it was a clusterfuck of gang members and players just shooting everything.

I really have no idea. I just started multiplayer after getting 100% in single player, and all I know is I got put on a lovely donkey and shot by dudes until I said gently caress it, played some private free roam hideouts, and then went after the High Roller Challenge just so I can have a horse that's not a piece of poo poo.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Tewratomeh posted:

It's a stranger mission, and you have to get it before the endgame. I didn't have any problems finding it, I sort of ran into the guy while out goofing around in that general area. It was so much better when I ran into him by accident than it probably would've been had I looked at a walkthrough or something.

As much as I like that stranger encounter, my favorite is still The Funny Man, especially running into him while in the middle of a gunfight, tucked away in some corner of a gang hideout. It was like something straight out of a Leone western. I was kinda hoping that you'd do an actual mission or two for/with that guy, taking him through dangerous areas being all :clint: while he's freaking out.

Very glad I kept an old save. One for 100% quest, one for carrying over wanted level to hit $5000 easier, and one from before Blackwater.

Am I the only one who read "New Weapon: Explosive Rifle!" as "LOL NOOB TUBE" in the DLC update? I like the variety of weapons as-is and the explosive weapons are nicely limited in effective distance or availability... I hope this doesn't go the way of COD.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

No one could get away either because they would just respawn near where they died.

I wouldn't call the spawning griefing, but it would be nice if they fixed the distance there. If a posse sets up camp near you, you'll probably die 4-5 times before getting away.

You do get XP for killing other players, but it's very small in comparison to other tasks unless you kill the Most Wanter player, or string a lot together back to back.

AR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 8, 2010

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wonder what they are going to do to even fix it? I know I stopped playing once they gimped the xp from Solomon's Folly. I really didn't see who it was hurting but gently caress spending even more time trying to level up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AR posted:

Am I the only one who read "New Weapon: Explosive Rifle!" as "LOL NOOB TUBE" in the DLC update? I like the variety of weapons as-is and the explosive weapons are nicely limited in effective distance or availability... I hope this doesn't go the way of COD.

Someone mentioned how they hoped that General Diego was a playable character with that Red Dead Revolver character pack, and that got me hoping that "explosive rifle" meant that it'd be something like General Diego's flare rifle. If you've never played Red Dead Revolver, there's a section where you play a badass Mexican general who has a flare gun he can fire to make one of his canons fire at a target. I'd love it if the explosive rifle is a gun that marks a target for an explosive strike out of nowhere, but gives the target time to run.

It'd be better than a rifle that acts like an RPG. You don't need a loving RPG in every single multiplayer game involving gunplay.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

AR posted:

I wouldn't call the spawning griefing, but it would be nice if they fixed the distance there. If a posse sets up camp near you, you'll probably die 4-5 times before getting away.

You do get XP for killing other players, but it's very small in comparison to other tasks unless you kill the Most Wanter player, or string a lot together back to back.

I'm not blaming the spawning exactly. I blame the guys shooting at me.

But the spawn wouldn't let me get away, the donkey wasn't fast enough out run them, and they shot every other horse I could have possibly taken. They just shot and bombed _everything_. The chaos was cool for about 2 minutes.

I asked my friend if there was a way to just spawn back in town or something, and he said there wasn't any way to do that. You just had to run away, but it was sort of pointless because we could all see each other on the map.

I ended up figuring out how to start a private server and invited my friends to that, and that solved the problem. We attacked a few more gangs, and then shot cops from the roof of a building. I now have a nag instead of a donkey. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. The donkey or the horse with full blown AIDS isn't much of choice.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

blackguy32 posted:

I wonder what they are going to do to even fix it? I know I stopped playing once they gimped the xp from Solomon's Folly. I really didn't see who it was hurting but gently caress spending even more time trying to level up.

Then play the game to have fun and don't treat it like an assignment.

Anyways, I'm so loving excited for the new add ons. I hope they never stop though I'm sure this will be it.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Are most strangers available throughout the entire game, or only at certain points throughout the story? I'm very near the *end* of the game, can I make a save now and go around doing every stranger mission after I beat the game?

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Jumping on multiplayer now on PS3 if anyone wants to posse up

PSN: TheJetCityFix

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Holy Calamity! posted:

Are most strangers available throughout the entire game, or only at certain points throughout the story? I'm very near the *end* of the game, can I make a save now and go around doing every stranger mission after I beat the game?

Yes, you can do them all afterward except 'I Know You' but that one doesn't count towards the 100%. I think most only show up after you've hit certain progression points within the main storyline.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
While it is possible to do the strangers missions after the end of the game, you might find them somewhat unsatisfying (for reasons that are difficult to explain without spoilers). I'd suggest wrapping up the stranger missions before the last few story missions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How the gently caress can anyone complain about zombie mode in a loving open-world western game? poo poo's going to be off the loving hook. I can't wait to headshot 6 zombies in deadeye mode with my gold-plated cattleman. :clint:

Now if only Rockstar would release a zombie expansion pack for GTA4, oh lordy...

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ruddiger posted:

How the gently caress can anyone complain about zombie mode in a loving open-world western game?

People would complain if the Duke himself came back from the dead to be in the game. That said, I can see it getting repetitive.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I asked my friend if there was a way to just spawn back in town or something, and he said there wasn't any way to do that. You just had to run away, but it was sort of pointless because we could all see each other on the map.

In Hardcore Free Roam you only show up on the minimap when you're riding, sprinting (pressing A) and shooting. If you're doing anything else you don't show up. I like it because it adds a lot of levels of pseudo-stealth to the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Someone mentioned how they hoped that General Diego was a playable character with that Red Dead Revolver character pack, and that got me hoping that "explosive rifle" meant that it'd be something like General Diego's flare rifle. If you've never played Red Dead Revolver, there's a section where you play a badass Mexican general who has a flare gun he can fire to make one of his canons fire at a target. I'd love it if the explosive rifle is a gun that marks a target for an explosive strike out of nowhere, but gives the target time to run.

I was thinking about that, and I wouldn't mind if the Explosive Rifle is like an even more crude version of the Battlefield 1942 grenade launcher - basically just a rifle that unsafely lobs a lit stick of dynamite that bounces erratically, making it powerful but unreliable against a single, mobile target. I don't know how they'd make that not look ridiculous but there you have it.

It'll probably just be a little pipe rifle that fires tiny exploding cannonballs that detonate on impact, though :(

(I as the one who wanted Diego, Rockstar had better give me my Mexical General with a Napoleon complex or I will be very put out)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Capn Beeb posted:

It'd be nice if one of those packs brought a cheat or something to the single player so you're not stuck playing as a spastic hooplehead and go back to being John.

Do we still need to spoiler that? Playing it safe but it's been over a month now.

gently caress that, I want to play as ZOMBIE JOHN MARSTON. Just imagine, you could tip your hat to people and say "Howdy, pardner.... BRAAAAAINS." Also lassoing dudes and then eating them, or even better, you can shoot people, and like animals, they now have a prompt for you to skin them and eat their innards for sustenance.

Also that zombie pack is just asking for all those animals you killed to come back in some sort of hosed up Pet Semetary showdown.

Poker and Liar's Dice in MP will make me actually play this game in MP... a lot.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2010

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oh Fuzz, what have you done.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dan Didio posted:

Oh Fuzz, what have you done.

poo poo!

Fixed it, hope I didn't ruin anyone's day. :pray:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

poo poo!

Fixed it, hope I didn't ruin anyone's day. :pray:

Could have been worse.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I was tricked! I finally got this game a few days ago and there is no mosey button. Funny joke ha ha but I really do want a mosey button.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Nathilus posted:

I was tricked! I finally got this game a few days ago and there is no mosey button. Funny joke ha ha but I really do want a mosey button.

If you walk instead of running, Marsten does a little semi-bowlegged cowboy walk. It's not an exaggerated mosey, but there's just enough mosey there to make you nod and say "yep that's a cowboy moseying along."

The sheer western-ness in this game, even in the tiny details, is astounding. A friend of mine is halfway through the game, and he was astounded when I told him that pressing B (or whatever arcane equivalent the PS3 has) makes you tip your hat and politely greet whoever's in front of you. This is particularly entertaining when you use it to bodyslam hookers to the ground and then say, "fine day for it, miss," with a gentlemanly tip of the hat.

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
They should have made this a Westworld tribute and swapped the zombies for robots.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Are other people completely unable to connect to any public games, or is it just me? I can start a private game, but the instant I switch to public mode, it loads interminably. I walked away from my computer to eat dinner, came back a half hour later, and it was still loading. :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Davish Krail posted:

Are other people completely unable to connect to any public games, or is it just me? I can start a private game, but the instant I switch to public mode, it loads interminably. I walked away from my computer to eat dinner, came back a half hour later, and it was still loading. :(

Whenever it does this to me I have luck loading Single Player then joining a Free Roam lobby. Try that.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I bet the Undead add on comes out in October. I don't see why people would complain, it's completely optional and sounds like even installed it will be a seperate game(mode).

Only major thing left on my wishlist is trains in MP. The game modes they could do have so much potential.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
This is Rockstar we're talking about, not creative writers but excellent borrowers of moments. The culmination of the zombie campaign will very obviously be either killing your father or protecting your mother's corpse from being zombified. Probably both.. while herding cattle for the dead MacFarlane brothers.

The following bad jokes/comic relief scenes will undoubtedly be featured in 'Undead Nightmare'

- Seth will try to 'get close' with a dead body that will reanimate and eat his face. I get bonus points if this is the opening scene/mission.
- The Flowers for a Lady woman will eat her husband and cook him into a fine pie. gently caress you its a tiny stupid side mission I ain't spoilering it no more y'hear?
- Jenny from the desert and the California guy will fall madly, crazily, insanely in love, their stranger mission will likely be off the wall and loopier than poo poo.
- The Deadalus and Son guy will occasionally be seen circling the skies at night.
- Landon Ricketts (dead or alive) will be showing you how to make and subsequently purchase a weapon/ammunition that is more effective against zombies.
- Multi Generational Marston Warfare. Sup Grampa?
- More zombie racism, zombie sexism, and zombie homophobia than you can shake a stick at!
- Nigel West Dickens will cure the zombie plague; legitimately proving he is actually a man of science and deserving of some credit. He will then be mauled by either a zombie cougar or a zombie bear. Or maybe a half man, half cougar pig.

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.
I looked and didn't see anything, but Gamestop will be selling new copies of RDR for $23.99 tomorrow from 11:00 am CT until 12:00 pm CT: http://www.facebook.com/GameStop#!/GameStop?v=wall&story_fbid=133825906648207

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

HAL9100 posted:

The following bad jokes/comic relief scenes will undoubtedly be featured in 'Undead Nightmare'

- Seth will try to 'get close' with a dead body that will reanimate and eat his face. I get bonus points if this is the opening scene/mission.
- The Flowers for a Lady woman will eat her husband and cook him into a fine pie. gently caress you its a tiny stupid side mission I ain't spoilering it no more y'hear?
- Jenny from the desert and the California guy will fall madly, crazily, insanely in love, their stranger mission will likely be off the wall and loopier than poo poo.
- The Deadalus and Son guy will occasionally be seen circling the skies at night.
- Landon Ricketts (dead or alive) will be showing you how to make and subsequently purchase a weapon/ammunition that is more effective against zombies.
- Multi Generational Marston Warfare. Sup Grampa?
- More zombie racism, zombie sexism, and zombie homophobia than you can shake a stick at!
- Nigel West Dickens will cure the zombie plague; legitimately proving he is actually a man of science and deserving of some credit. He will then be mauled by either a zombie cougar or a zombie bear. Or maybe a half man, half cougar pig.

You're not even going to mention the obligatory return of Irish?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

That Awful Nick posted:

Or maybe the return of Bill, Javier, Dutch, and Ross. This would of course cause the game to start over almost.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

That Awful Nick posted:

God dammit why did I mouse over that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I'm hoping that one of the updates will feature a large amount of pinkerton agents added to the game world.

So I may kill every single pinkerton cocksucker that has the unfortunate luck of being in my immediate viewing distance.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

man thats gross posted:

God dammit why did I mouse over that.

You didn't spoil any actual gameplay moments, just a tiny newspaper blurb.

And gently caress this zombie poo poo. I never liked zombies in anything and won't be downloading it for RDR.

I love RDR because it's easy to get immersed into what was actually (something close to) reality not too long ago. Where I'm sitting was a tiny western logging outpost 100 years ago, I think it's incredible to get a glimpse of how it used to be.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not that into the multiplayer thing so I'm sad there's going to be only one singleplayer DLC. However, it does sound pretty loving badass. Mixing horror elements with a massive sandbox game, a western themed one no less, sounds like a pretty interesting thing to me.

Also new random encounter stuff! :neckbeard:

I don't mind (endgame stuff) playing as Jack overall and I like the story went there, but I wish they'd release an option to play as John again. Listening to that Jake Gyllenhaal-esque "WORK YA drat NAG" again and again gets pretty old.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's too bad Red Dead Redemption is already my favorite game ever. All that sweet, sweet DLC would have been enough to push me over the edge and into that area. Now it's just like RDR is way too awesome and i'm afraid of what is going to happen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

That Awful Nick posted:

leidend posted:

You didn't spoil any actual gameplay moments, just a tiny newspaper blurb.
I never read this newspaper blurb. :(

• Locked thread