Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

My favorite part of the zombie DLC?

"Mr. Ross, so you're back from the dead. Well, time to put your into the GRAVE AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER!" *unloads high powered pistol into his face yet again*

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I never read this newspaper blurb. :(

Its not even definitively him. I mean, it pretty much is, but you could choose to interpret it as someone else if you wanted. :v:

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I've been having a lot of fun playing a goodie-two-shoes white hat cowboy type, but I found my limits during The Prohibitionist stranger mission do a shot everytime you blow a prohibitionists head off! It's me, I'm the single issue voter, except replace "voter" with "assassin."

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I hope the zombie dlc goes with this kind of artistic style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFPooqKllA

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

BerkerkLurk posted:

I've been having a lot of fun playing a goodie-two-shoes white hat cowboy type, but I found my limits during The Prohibitionist stranger mission do a shot everytime you blow a prohibitionists head off! It's me, I'm the single issue voter, except replace "voter" with "assassin."

The part that annoyed me about that mission is that if you don't kill the preacher guy, the man who put you up to it cusses you out, promises to turn the bartending mafia against you, and walks away. And you can do nothing! I replayed the mission once hoping that if I was really quick I could shoot him before his getaway but no dice. At least by that point my honour was so high drinks were free anyway. Zero doubled is still zero. :smug:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
So I just funished up the old gunslinger's missions in Mexico and am loving how the Mexicans actually speak Spanish to one another. Of course by a wild fluke of fate they can all speak English when Marston needs them to, but it's nice to not hear Mexicans wandering around speaking to each other in bad English.

Also I love the stranger missions. THERE ARE NO HAPPY ENDINGS. I was feeling nice about getting a guy some flowers for his wife... welp. Should have known better. After all, I called where the old lady's hubby was going to be right when I met her, and again when I asked what happened to him and the piano jock said, 'what happens to us all?' and of course the Devil/Mephistopheles/Death or whoever he is is just so fun to listen to. Hello, JOHN. The one I took the most pity on was California though. I knew by the third time I met him that he wasn't going to find his California. Poor dude just needed to lay off the cactus juice for a while, but he wouldn't listen.

On the other hand, some of the morality bickering in the missions seems forced.
Landon Ricketts: WATCH YOUR TONE BO-AH!
Marston: NO U!
*slapfight*
Landon Ricketts: YOU KNOW YOU REMIND ME OF ME WHEN I WAS YOUNGER :D

What the gently caress? Is he senile, and just forgot that he was arguing about murdering people?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
So I'm about to close in on a deal to buy this game for $40 dollars straight up. Is it worth it?

I've read the reviews, I've read this thread a bit, but I just want some reassurance.

Is it worth it? :frogsiren:

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

You bet your tin star it's worth it. This game is fantastic, as long as you like the Old West and fun.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

That Awful Nick posted:

You bet your tin star it's worth it. This game is fantastic, as long as you like the Old West, fun, and efficiently organized platoons of viciously murderous bears.

All better.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That Awful Nick posted:

You bet your tin star it's worth it. This game is fantastic, as long as you like the Old West and fun.

I didn't particularly like Western stuff before I bought this game and now consider it my favourite game of all time and have started watching Western movies that seem to be on AMC constantly these days (although they still are pretty boring).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Nathilus posted:

What the gently caress? Is he senile, and just forgot that he was arguing about murdering people?

No, it's pretty heavily implied (as in, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer) that Ricketts was a violent son-of-a-bitch in his youth. He was a famously skilled gunslinger who killed a lot of people and didn't give a poo poo. Of course Marsten reminds him of himself.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, it's pretty heavily implied (as in, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer) that Ricketts was a violent son-of-a-bitch in his youth. He was a famously skilled gunslinger who killed a lot of people and didn't give a poo poo. Of course Marsten reminds him of himself.

Right but the pacing is awful. It goes from a really tense moment where you're wondering if someone is going to get shot, and then he's suddenly all buddy-wuddy again. He's not just joshin' Marston either, he's legitimately pissed off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I kind of got the impression that he had just decided not to give a poo poo anymore because he realized that he was playing out a scene from his own youth, and all those scenes had ended in his young self killing whoever occupied the position he was in now. Maybe it's just me :)

vvv This is more likely, but I like to fill holes in the plot with conjecture and make it cooler than the writers did :colbert: vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 9, 2010

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
His point had nothing to do with Landon Ricketts specifically, the same thing happens with Bonnie, Espinoza, De Santos, and many other NPCs. Its a crazy bug found in modern games called a lower than necessary writing budget.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Stumpus posted:

So I'm about to close in on a deal to buy this game for $40 dollars straight up. Is it worth it?

I've read the reviews, I've read this thread a bit, but I just want some reassurance.

Is it worth it? :frogsiren:

It's pretty much my favorite game ever, and I would buy it 10 times over. I am seriously considering picking up a copy and just putting it on my shelf, or framing it in a heart shaped frame.

Nathilus posted:

Right but the pacing is awful. It goes from a really tense moment where you're wondering if someone is going to get shot, and then he's suddenly all buddy-wuddy again. He's not just joshin' Marston either, he's legitimately pissed off.

I took it like a father/son kind of argument. One of those arguments with family, where everybody eventually just drops it and comes to an understanding.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

My favorite part of the zombie DLC?

"Mr. Ross, so you're back from the dead. Well, time to put your into the GRAVE AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER!" *unloads high powered pistol into his face yet again*

Good times.

The only thing I want there to be but highly doubt it'd happen is huge Dead Rising-like numbers of zombies inhabiting Blackwater, Armadillo and Escalera.

I basically want to play out the beginning of The Walking Dead issue 2.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
It would be cool if in one of the updates they make taunting people in multiplayer easier. They went through the hassle of making all these hilarious and unique things your character can say but you almost never hear anybody use them because it's such a pain in the rear end. Say I'm crouched behind a barrel and blast somebody in the chest with the sawn-off shotgun, if I want to call that person's mother a whore I have to leave cover, stand up, holster my gun, and then press B in order to do it. Why can't I just call his mother a whore while remaining in cover with my gun out?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Paint-Drinking Pete posted:

It would be cool if in one of the updates they make taunting people in multiplayer easier. They went through the hassle of making all these hilarious and unique things your character can say but you almost never hear anybody use them because it's such a pain in the rear end. Say I'm crouched behind a barrel and blast somebody in the chest with the sawn-off shotgun, if I want to call that person's mother a whore I have to leave cover, stand up, holster my gun, and then press B in order to do it. Why can't I just call his mother a whore while remaining in cover with my gun out?

there's nothing I love more than spamming the taunt button while waiting in the queue lobby for co-op matches. It's even better when everyone else joins in the madness and all you hear is people yelling at each other in spanish and english.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

ruddiger posted:

The only thing I want there to be but highly doubt it'd happen is huge Dead Rising-like numbers of zombies inhabiting Blackwater, Armadillo and Escalera.

I basically want to play out the beginning of The Walking Dead issue 2.

It'll probably be limited to cemeteries and Tumbleweed though based on the description.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If you angle the camera up during a rainstorm raindrops appear on the screen :aaa:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

It's pretty much my favorite game ever, and I would buy it 10 times over. I am seriously considering picking up a copy and just putting it on my shelf, or framing it in a heart shaped frame.

Yeah I loving love this game. It's essentially me playing exactly when I wanted to be when I was 9 years old ...and 22 years old...

It helps that I tend to have Marston's attitude in cutscenes like 99% of the time though. I don't give a poo poo about anything else, I just want to find these cocksuckin' outlaws.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Christ,I've been playing online for about a week, and I only just now accidentally realised you can use deadeye :suicide:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So as someone who has just picked this game up, are there any things I should know straight out of the gate? Like early missions to get good weapons or stuff like that?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Plavski posted:

So as someone who has just picked this game up, are there any things I should know straight out of the gate? Like early missions to get good weapons or stuff like that?

Do all the Bonnie Missions first, even though they mostly suck, and you'll be told to spend some time in Armadillo. Her missions are tutorials and give you some of the basic equipment you need to do a lot of the jobs. Specifically, she gives you the lasso, which you need to take bounties alive. You also get one of the best horses in the game out of it.

ratattack
Dec 22, 2005

squeak
Any goons who want the Posse Up trophy? Psn id : valleyofdoom Send a request and we can start building that posse.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I just got to the end and John died. I had that spoiled for me, so it wasn't as surprising as it should have been (and the title for that mission was pretty telling). And as Jack, after the first time he killed a guy in a duel, he said "Guess someone taught me well!" :smith:. I have a question though, does Jack have any missions, or is it all open world for him? I'm just wondering if there is a definite 'end' to the game, or if it ends when I get tired of playing it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

So I just got to the end and John died. I had that spoiled for me, so it wasn't as surprising as it should have been (and the title for that mission was pretty telling). And as Jack, after the first time he killed a guy in a duel, he said "Guess someone taught me well!" :smith:. I have a question though, does Jack have any missions, or is it all open world for him? I'm just wondering if there is a definite 'end' to the game, or if it ends when I get tired of playing it.

Drop by blackwater and have a word with the government man down by station. You and him got mutual acquaintances

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Stranger mission at the Blackwater train station.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sco Dylan posted:

Stranger mission at the Blackwater train station.

I seriously love the ending of that mission, when Jack is walking away and the "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" just splashes up on the screen and the music kicks in. Perfect ending to the game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I seriously love the ending of that mission, when Jack is walking away and the "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" just splashes up on the screen and the music kicks in. Perfect ending to the game.

Completely agree. The only credits I've ever enjoyed watching too, just because the music for this game is fuckin' perfect.

e: \/ I couldn't disagree more. (End-endgame poo poo) Playing as Jack not only allows you to experience the game world after you've beaten it, avoiding Fallout 3 "what the gently caress I want to keep playing" bullshit as well as letting you complete the story to it's logical conclusion. The first thing I did when I took control of Jack was rode into Blackwater and torched the Police station with fire bottles, I didn't even realize there was another stranger mission to be found.

I think it would have cheapened the game had it been finished another way.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2010

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This game has been great. Onto the second run though and just got to where Im heading into blackwater. From my last run through, I had a few issues with the ending I think the story would have been punchier if they just ended it where John dies. Theres a nice circularity to Jacks revenge, but it just felt a little labored. Or they could have let John live, and gently caress bonnies lights out. Or let Jack service her, so he could have a line like "Pa taught how me to deal with cougars!".

Heres what rules about this game:

Bears. loving god drat bears. I hate them and love them. I hate them because they keep owning me, but I love them because they make the woods genuinely tense.

John is a great character, and probably the most 'human' rockstar lead character since Nicko Belik. Jack was annoying as poo poo. He'd be less so if it wasnt for that stupid voice they gave him. Kid sounds like a south park character

Horses. The horse dynamics are great. I'm playing my second game "evil", and the dark horse is pretty cool. Nothing great, but he looks good, and he seems pretty tough. But the horses are also hilariously stupid sometimes, and seem hell bent on suiciding off cliffs. I've dubbed all my horses "Stupid horse".

I really love the gunplay as well. Dead eye works a shitload better than the stupid slow-down system from the old Max Payne games. It actually makes sense here. I think the gattling could be a little beefier though. I'm glad Rockstar resisted the urge to make this game about bullet rationing.

I hope the zombie addon isnt poo poo.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 11, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone else have the issue where you call your horse then run up to it and have to chase the big dumb bastard half way to Mexico before you can jump on him? loving horses.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Speaking of horses, I was wandering around in the frozen river area (just unlocked it, it's totally Canada...it's full of beavers and antlered beasties!) when I noticed my horse was gone. I kept calling it; nothing. Until a few most whistles when lo here comes some lovely 2 star horse. I guess my horse died. Then the horse goes galloping past me right into the river and dies. :doh:

I guess that's where loving Horse went :smith:.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone else have the issue where you call your horse then run up to it and have to chase the big dumb bastard half way to Mexico before you can jump on him? loving horses.

Theres a reason my big guy is called "Stupid horse".

On the subject of stupid...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/may/24/rockstar-red-dead-redemption-controversy

The guardian, of all newspapers, trying to stir up controversy by picking on the darstardly achievement (tying a woman to the train tracks). How the gently caress can someone get to be critic and be so profoundly unaware of one of the most classic early holywood cowboy movie tropes.

edit: Acutally ignore that. 2 month old article. Whoops.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 12, 2010

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've lost more horses from shooting them myself because of this than from cougars and bears and everything else.

I have had a couple issues with my horse where they wouldn't get the hell away from me. I know a few times I've went to go get a bounty and then all of a sudden my horse wanders up beside me and then gets shot to death by bandits.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

That is prejudiced against short, greasy men with tacky suits and waxed mustaches. Tying a damsel to railroad tracks while cackling is a time honored cultural tradition in both the US and Canada. Do they want all mounties and sheriffs to be out of their jobs? DO THEY?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never had any real issues with horses, I've had the same one for ages now and the moment I used another one to try it out, it was completely different. They did say the horses have their own personalities and whatnot, and it's pretty apparent in some cases. The new horse I used freaked out whenever there was gunfire whereas my old, trusty steed didn't bat an eye even if I shot a gun right next to it.

I got tired of chasing that new horse so I sent him to greener pastures. :clint:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The horse is riding to where looking/running. When you call your horse, start running whatever direction you want to go, when your horse gets to you it'll pass right by your shoulder allowing you to mount it and continue without changing directions. If it's running away from you turn around, call it again and run the other way. It's always riding to where you're looking.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I guess that's where loving Horse went :smith:.

Hahaha, I call my horse that too. I keep getting strange looks from my wife when I say, "get back here, you loving horse! gently caress! slow the gently caress down! Aaaaagh you loving horse"

The horse tries to match your movement to sync up with you, but most of the time that results in it just running away from you. You have to kind of "trick" it by turning and running in a different direction until it moves past you, then suddenly facing it and grabbing it as it passes.

There is a weird kind of charm in scrambling to catch that equine rear end in a top hat as it fucks off with your bounty in the middle of a bandit attack, though. loving Horse :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there a way to get the old "Dark horse" type horses back? I got my all black speedy stallion dude, but I dunno, I miss my glue faced race-losing cliff-diving spastic. He might be a stupid horse, but he's my stupid horse. :(

• Locked thread