Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Did anything actually happen that lead to them breaking up, or was it just both guys moving on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They moved on as much as anything. I'd say the big turning point was Marufuji winning the GHC title.

I'm thinking the last time they teamed was May '08 vs Kobashi & Kikuchi, and they weren't doing much together between there and going back to vs the Briscoes in ROH.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That makes me sad. I was hoping in the whole NOAH/NJPW thing we'd see them in a match on the same team.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Did anything actually happen that lead to them breaking up, or was it just both guys moving on?

KENTA and Marufuji's team broke up because they kept arguing over who had better hair.

The answer was Kota Ibushi btw.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/07/01/puroresu-pulse-issue-174-the-intelligent-sensational-grab-bag/

This week: THE DESTROYER

Tim Takdon
Apr 14, 2010

by Ozma
I saw dean malenko on the teevee tonight and it reminded me that joe malenko is the greatest. its a shame that he doesn't get more recognition.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Yeah, Joe ruled it.

Clip Collections

Not sure how many of you only look at what I post here and don't really visit the sites. There's lots of material I come across that's good but is either
a) One spot/moment
b) A sequence
c) A good finish
d) Something that isn't part of a match

So I decided to post .rar files of short and short-ish clips. Here's the first of each, and if you want more go to the bottom of this page:
http://theditch.us/misc.html

I'll be posting a new one tomorrow!

Clip collection 1
http://theditch.us/puroset1.rar

This is really short, mostly just bumps and spots. The first one has a lot of things I culled from the 'net but later ones are almost entirely from my own caps.

Big clip collection 1
http://theditch.us/bigstuff1.rar

Stuff that's more in the 30-60 second range, mostly sequences.

Match finishes collection 1
http://theditch.us/finishes1.rar

When the last 1-5 minutes are great and the rest is forgettable, it goes here. Dick Togo vs Great Sasuke! Sawa and Takayama throwing punches to the face! And needle thingies to the forehead in Big Japan :gonk:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Awesome idea!

Everybody should download those and watch all of them. But everybody especially should download the first one and watch baskick, superj947 and, uh, the aptly-named takadawtf.

(Should point out that I couldn't get gansobomb, kobashi or td91 to play.)

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

Not sure how many of you only look at what I post here and don't really visit the sites.

By the sites, do you mean your column at insidepulse? Because I started reading it a few weeks ago and have been very impressed by what I've read, particularly the archived post you referenced a bit ago where you predicted NOAH's downfall pretty much to the date. You and Meltzer are the only two opinions on Japan that I respect.

Sadly I haven't had a chance to watch all the Destroyer stuff yet. Here's to hoping I find the time this weekend.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
By sites I mean theditch.biz, .com and .us, where I've updated one of them daily for years.

If VLC player won't play something, try downloading Media Player Classic, which is good with .wmv, .asf, .ram and .rm files.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

freakin love the destroyer's matches w/mil

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Ditch, what match is that Manami / Aja clip from the last package from?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I gotta think it's their June 1995 title match. They didn't wrestle very many times. It isn't from the '94 dome show, and I doubt very much it's from the March '95 title match, and I think that's it for the period when Toyota wasn't in her skinny young phase.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Andre versus...?

Andre vs ???, New Japan June 1st 1979
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C4MYERFO

It's supposed to be Andre vs Fujinami, but that changes and we get A Suitable Replacement. 1979 Andre is really awesome. I mean if you can even stand to watch Andre vs Hogan from WM3, you'll love this.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Andre must really be a draw because I normally wait a while to DL your links but I'm downloading this as soon as I see it.

edit: no way!

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 10, 2010

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ditch posted:

Andre versus...?

It's supposed to be Andre vs Fujinami, but that changes and we get A Suitable Replacement. 1979 Andre is really awesome. I mean if you can even stand to watch Andre vs Hogan from WM3, you'll love this.

I'm intrigued. Downloading now.

EDIT: Oh, my. How have I missed this one?

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 11, 2010

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Andre's groundwork rules

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

Andre versus...?

This ruled, everyone download it.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008

Ditch posted:

Andre versus...?

Downloading now, super excited!

Unrelated, but why in the hell did Hiroshi Hase only get one IWGP title shot ever? He was over, he was great in the ring, and during his match he got the crowd 100% behind him against golden boy Hashimoto. He should have at least gotten more shots, let alone the title itself.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hase had the misfortune of being the #4 man in his generation group, and #5 by the time Choshu started pushing Sasaki. When you need to give title shots to the Musketeers, Choshu, Fujinami, outside wrestlers and gaijin every year, Hase tended to be left behind. Plus he didn't get many big singles wins. By '95 he was on the outs.

tzirean posted:

EDIT: Oh, my. How have I missed this one?
Because pretty much nobody buys DVDs of '70s New Japan.

-----------------

G-1 participants:
1. Togi Makabe
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi
3. Hirooki Goto
4. Manabu Nakanishi
5. Yuji Nagata
6. Wataru Inoue
7. Giant Bernard
8. Karl Anderson
9. Shinsuke Nakamura
10. Toru Yano
11. Yujiro Takahashi
12. Tetsuya Naito
13. Go Shiozaki
14. Naomichi Marufuji
15. Strong Man
16. Satoshi Kojima

Fire Festival:
Block A:
- Shinjiro Otani
- Daisuke Sekimoto
- Yutaka Yoshie
- The Predator
- Takuya Sugawara

Block B:
- Masato Tanaka
- Ryouji Sai
- Kohei Sato
- Joe Legend
- Ikuto Hidaka

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Downloaded, re-downloaded and saved.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Dragon Gate had their annual biggest-show-of-the-year at Kobe. Top two results:

Shingo beat Hulk in a hair vs hair match
Yoshino beat Yamato for the title, in what I'd consider a semi-big upset

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I predicted correctly for both. :smug:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The Abby match from the DG PPV has one of his opponents coming to the ring in a wheelchair and Abby still looks like the least mobile guy in the ring.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ditch posted:

Shingo beat Hulk in a hair vs hair match

:(

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Who in the blue hell is Strong Man?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

Who in the blue hell is Strong Man?

A guy in CMLL that looks like Scott Steiner and Rob Terry had a freak baby.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

Or a boring orange cousin, if you will.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
G-1 schedule was announced.

Block A:
- Togi Makabe
- Hiroshi Tanahashi
- Manabu Nakanishi
- Karl Anderson*
- Toru Yano
- Tetsuya Naito
- Naomichi Marufuji
- Strong Man*

Block B:
- Hirooki Goto
- Yuji Nagata
- Wataru Inoue*
- Giant Bernard*
- Shinsuke Nakamura
- Yujiro Takahashi
- Go Shiozaki
- Satoshi Kojima

I put a * next to people who aren't wrestling round-robin matches on the last day and thus have no chance of being in the final. Final is on the same day as the last round robin matches.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Marufuji vs. Tanahashi!!!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It was kinda... eh... back in 2003.

Makabe vs Tanahashi on the last day should decide block A. Nakamura vs Shiozaki seems likely to decide B, though Kojima vs Goto could as well.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

But it's 2010!

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
Think we're looking at a G-1 Tanahashi vs. Nakamura final, Ditch?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If Nakamura loses vs Makabe, I doubt he'd be in the final. I'm thinking Tanahashi vs Shiozaki 3 as the final.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
I would love to see Kojima vs. Tanahashi in the finals. It sounds really intriguing to me, and Kojima hitting a lariat on Tanahashi's injured jaw would probably rule.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

KungFu Grip posted:

More like steiner and chavo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Strong Man is absolutely horrid in the ring. I must see him wrestling in Japan.

Strong Man vs Marufuji for MOTY.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just can't get over the fact that he's a former strongman competitor, so his ring name is STRONG MAN. That's so genius and awful at the same time.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

MassRayPer posted:

Strong Man is absolutely horrid in the ring. I must see him wrestling in Japan.

Strong Man vs Marufuji for MOTY.

Get you some IGF tapes. He's Jon Anderson or something there. His finisher is a headlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Get you some IGF tapes. He's Jon Anderson or something there. His finisher is a headlock.

When IGF formed I never thought it would provide me with anything worthwhile. But Necro vs Minowa and now this news.