Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

duck monster posted:

Is there a way to get the old "Dark horse" type horses back? I got my all black speedy stallion dude, but I dunno, I miss my glue faced race-losing cliff-diving spastic. He might be a stupid horse, but he's my stupid horse. :(

The licenses for all of them are on sale at the general shop. Then you can have that horse forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I never read this newspaper blurb. :(

It's in the final newspaper, in the misc. section.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

duck monster posted:

Theres a reason my big guy is called "Stupid horse".

On the subject of stupid...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/may/24/rockstar-red-dead-redemption-controversy

The guardian, of all newspapers, trying to stir up controversy by picking on the darstardly achievement (tying a woman to the train tracks). How the gently caress can someone get to be critic and be so profoundly unaware of one of the most classic early holywood cowboy movie tropes.

edit: Acutally ignore that. 2 month old article. Whoops.

Doesn't matter if the article is 2 months old, the guy is a retard for not getting the reference. What a tosser.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

duck monster posted:

Is there a way to get the old "Dark horse" type horses back? I got my all black speedy stallion dude, but I dunno, I miss my glue faced race-losing cliff-diving spastic. He might be a stupid horse, but he's my stupid horse. :(

I think it saves two horses at a time. If you break/buy a new horse and it dies, the one you were previously using should come trotting along if you call for a new one. After that though I'm pretty sure it's just the default paint horse.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of horses, I was wandering around in the frozen river area (just unlocked it, it's totally Canada...it's full of beavers and antlered beasties!) when I noticed my horse was gone. I kept calling it; nothing. Until a few most whistles when lo here comes some lovely 2 star horse. I guess my horse died. Then the horse goes galloping past me right into the river and dies. :doh:

I guess that's where loving Horse went :smith:.

I was standing next to the guy on the cliff for Daedalus and Son, and whistled for my horse. It blipped and started running towards me, and then WHOOOOOOSH, right off the edge without even slowing down. I guess he wanted to fly too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I just derailed the train with a Mexican lady. I tossed her on the train tracks, when the train got to her it literally stopped dead in it's tracks. Now it's shaking violently, the back wheels are about a foot in the air, and the still living woman is underneath the cow catcher. :psyduck:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Trains seem to be weird and buggy. Punching or shoving the train's engineer results in all kinds of odd poo poo, like him teleporting around or clipping through things. Occasionally he'll somehow clip into Marsten hard enough to ragdoll him, causing the unfortunate cowboy to cannon out of the engine car at hazardous speeds (or just keel over dead from a mysterious voodoo curse).

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but as I understand it, you can play in the open world. Are the trains still running, in that case? I want to get a few friends on and have awesome Indiana Jones-esque fistfights and lasso duels on top of train cars.

vvv Well that is just plain unacceptable. I guess I'll have to settle for Cowboy Parkour rooftop brawls, then. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 12, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but as I understand it, you can play in the open world. Are the trains still running, in that case? I want to get a few friends on and have awesome Indiana Jones-esque fistfights and lasso duels on top of train cars.
No trains in multiplayer, unfortunately. :( Not sure why.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

No lasso in multiplayer either.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

No trains in multiplayer, unfortunately. :( Not sure why.

I assumed they took the trains out of multiplayer because of the inevitable physics engine glitches.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

No lasso in multiplayer either.

That's probably because some high-level rear end in a top hat would manage to hogtie every single other player on the server and they could do nothing about it. That'd be funny as hell if it were you doing the tying, not so much to be stuck in one spot with absolutely no way to get out except leaving.

The only way to put hogtying in would be a countdown that auto-releases you from the lasso after a set time, or a mini-game where you can escape. As it is the only two ways out are death or getting cut free, and guess which one of those would never happen.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Capn Beeb posted:

It'd be nice if one of those packs brought a cheat or something to the single player so you're not stuck playing as a spastic hooplehead and go back to being John.

Do we still need to spoiler that? Playing it safe but it's been over a month now.

What do you think? Case in point, I just finished it on Saturday and not knowing anything about what would happen in the game after your mission was over. So I got to fully experience the best ending of a video game ever.

I loved the fourth act, just chilling with the family, properly connecting with them, seeing Bonnie again and really feeling this worth all the bloodshed and being knowingly used as a puppet. As I enjoyed it more, the feeling of doom crept in. I knew what would happen, John and his wife knew what would happen. From when the army showed up on the skyline to John standing in the barn knowing what was outside was pitch perfect. It was as good as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, maybe better because you were alone. I regret not taking more of them out, I had a moment of hope where I might be able to kill enough of them to fight my way out.

Then the grave, a welling of tears not seen since the end of HL2 Episode 2. "I guess the next game is Red Dead Revenge... Oh wow apparently not." I definitely did not fast travel to my vengence. For the first time I put on the duster coat. When I met his wife, I hogtied her and threw her on the back of the horse, so he would watch her die. Brother got murdered. Then I shot my father's killer dead. BAM game over. Amazing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

The only way to put hogtying in would be a countdown that auto-releases you from the lasso after a set time, or a mini-game where you can escape. As it is the only two ways out are death or getting cut free, and guess which one of those would never happen.

Pretty sure it already works this way, since I've hogtied people and come back to have them shoot at me on several occasions now.

I just figured that it could be impossible to hogtie players and the lasso would only incapacitate them for a short time. Alternatively, they could keep trying to shoot while getting dragged around, or switch to the knife to cut the rope. It would be hilarious to see a guy go rocketing past on his horse, dragging some random bandito who was wildly shooting at his captor as he bounced down the road.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Fuzz posted:

I seriously love the ending of that mission, when Jack is walking away and the "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" just splashes up on the screen and the music kicks in. Perfect ending to the game.
Yeah, loved the last mission. I had my Mauser equipped and had just really figured out how to duel, so I shot the bastard 15 times. Then you turn around and RED DEAD REDEMPTION.

I really enjoyed the ending. It gave you something to think about.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn rage-quitting pubbie fuckers. :argh:

I won two FFA matches in a row, and I foolishly gloated that I needed one more FFA win to get the win three in a row achievement, and EVERYONE loving quit out of the game. Hoping that the wins would carry over to a new game, I loaded into a new FFA match, won, but didn't get the achievement. Son of a bitch. :mad:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ruddiger posted:

I won two FFA matches in a row, and I foolishly gloated that I needed one more FFA win to get the win three in a row achievement, and EVERYONE loving quit out of the game. Hoping that the wins would carry over to a new game, I loaded into a new FFA match, won, but didn't get the achievement. Son of a bitch. :mad:

This happens so much I'm surprised they keep putting achievements like this into games, because it's not even a measure of how good you are at the game anymore, it's a measure of how much ragequitting bullshit you're able to put up with. Between this game and Bioshock 2's multiplayer achievements, I wish I could just opt-out of even bothering with this poo poo.

(I guess I can just by not playing but then my OCD would destroy me. :( )

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
gently caress me...

I shot and skinned 30 bears there just now, plus a couple boars that thought they could join the party. Only reason I left was that I managed to expend all my repeater AND rifle ammo. I must've shot quite a few more bears as well, but I think the game actually couldn't handle all the carcasses and removed a few.

loving insane!

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Baggins posted:

gently caress me...

I shot and skinned 30 bears there just now, plus a couple boars that thought they could join the party. Only reason I left was that I managed to expend all my repeater AND rifle ammo. I must've shot quite a few more bears as well, but I think the game actually couldn't handle all the carcasses and removed a few.

loving insane!

When I was going for the Bearly Legal achievement, I would kill a bear, wait to skin until another showed up, kill that one and skin the first. I did this for like an hour and by the time I was done I had at least 50 or so bear carcasses in a giant pile (after a while I tried to kill them all on top of each other). That was some of the most fun I've had in the game.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Remmiz posted:

When I was going for the Bearly Legal achievement, I would kill a bear, wait to skin until another showed up, kill that one and skin the first. I did this for like an hour and by the time I was done I had at least 50 or so bear carcasses in a giant pile (after a while I tried to kill them all on top of each other). That was some of the most fun I've had in the game.

Never has a pbf comic been more apt.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Never has a pbf comic been more apt.

How is it apt exactly?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

fenix down posted:

How is it apt exactly?

Look at the guy who posted the anecdotes' avatar.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

not to mention the discussion of whole sale bear-ocide.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bear hunting is hilarious with the Buffalo Rifle. In fact, the Buffalo Rifle is just such a goofily powerful blunderbuss in general that I'm unable to resist using it for grossly inappropriate things, like obliterating banditos at close range or shooting small game. Did you know that shooting a skunk with the Buffalo Rifle causes it to vapourize? :haw:

Bears are nasty as heck, though. When I killed a couple of them up north to work toward the "kill X bears with one shot" ambient challenge, I kept turning around to find a murderous assassin bear right behind me after I finished skinning my previous kill. loving sneaky those bears.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Bear hunting is hilarious with the Buffalo Rifle. In fact, the Buffalo Rifle is just such a goofily powerful blunderbuss in general that I'm unable to resist using it for grossly inappropriate things, like obliterating banditos at close range or shooting small game. Did you know that shooting a skunk with the Buffalo Rifle causes it to vapourize? :haw:

I've got more kills with that thing than any other weapon. God I love it so much :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I've got more kills with that thing than any other weapon. God I love it so much :allears:

Did anyone else totally cheese the MP legendary animal challenges by holing up in the cabin and just killing bears/cougars from the doors/windows? I feel like I cheated the game by doing that, but holy crap were there a poo poo load of bears when I went after Brumas. Even after I killed Brumas, the bears managed to kill my horse as I was making my getaway.

moregontrail
Mar 31, 2005
I drink alone, George Thorogood style
Sorry if that has been posted before but I try to avoid game threads as to not ruin the gameplay. I already saw to much just by scanning the OP

I bought this a couple days ago for the PS3 and I'm loving the single player but everytime I try to play multiplayer I'm the only person in what ever game I choose including Free Roam.

I looked on-line and it seems to be a common problem with the only solutions of just keep trying(I have) and changing the router to a NAT 2.

Is anyone else encountering this? How were you able to fix it? I don't have any friends who play the game so is my only hope to add a bunch of you guys?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

God I love this game so much. There is so much to do.

I had an odd experience though. I was on my way somewhere when I came across a bunch of prisioners who were escaping. I was feeling a bit good natured that day so I decided to lasso them and bring them back to the cop alive. The cop said something along the lines of "Thanks, now to get these guys back to prison."

He then shot them both.

I felt a bit cheated about that.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I was dicking around in free roam once and some guy invited me to posse and then instantly threw us into a ffa game but didn't explain anything and didn't have a mic. For the next 2 games I won the initial standoff and then proceeded to hide in a room somewhere for 10 minutes. After the third time he quit instantly after dying in the standoff and I got my achievement. Unless they changed something it should have given you the achievement.

Soden
Apr 1, 2008

3/2 People don't understand fractions.
Question, sorry if this has been answered already. At the end of the game when John is replaced with Jack as the main protagonist, do unfinished quests/challeneges stay the same? (e.g. hunting) and how do collected weapons/outfits work, ditto?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Soden posted:

Question, sorry if this has been answered already. At the end of the game when John is replaced with Jack as the main protagonist, do unfinished quests/challeneges stay the same? (e.g. hunting) and how do collected weapons/outfits work, ditto?
Everything stays the same. You can finish any stranger missions, hunting challenges, treasure challenges, etc, all clothes still work, and your inventory and weapons are all intact. The only stranger mission that doesn't work afterwards is the 'I Know You' mission.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I just nearly completed a second playthrough because I couldn't even fathom doing any challenges or bounties as Douchenozzle.

It may be safe to say I have grown slightly too attached to John Marston.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The only stranger mission that doesn't work afterwards is the 'I Know You' mission.

This mission doesn't count toward 100% either.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'm going for 100% completion and I'm at 99.5% right now. After looking at the Red Dead Wiki I'm almost sure that the missing .5% is for blackjack. So that prompts this stupid sounding question. How do you win at blackjack? Do you just leave with more money than you came in with or is it like poker where your opponent eventualy goes bust?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So I just derailed the train with a Mexican lady. I tossed her on the train tracks, when the train got to her it literally stopped dead in it's tracks. Now it's shaking violently, the back wheels are about a foot in the air, and the still living woman is underneath the cow catcher. :psyduck:

"What you been eatin?!"

:clint:

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Cabinet posted:

I'm going for 100% completion and I'm at 99.5% right now. After looking at the Red Dead Wiki I'm almost sure that the missing .5% is for blackjack. So that prompts this stupid sounding question. How do you win at blackjack? Do you just leave with more money than you came in with or is it like poker where your opponent eventualy goes bust?

Buy in, win one hand, exit.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cabinet posted:

Start playing, win one hand and quit the game. Because you left with more money than you started with you "won" giving you the outfit objective. If you lose a hand or two, quit and start over.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Everything stays the same. You can finish any stranger missions, hunting challenges, treasure challenges, etc, all clothes still work, and your inventory and weapons are all intact. The only stranger mission that doesn't work afterwards is the 'I Know You' mission.

False, there's a little difference. I turned in the Daedalus mission that I started before the ending and the guy said something like "Did that other guy send you?" So the game seems to add a line to fit the continuity, even though nobody aged.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

False, there's a little difference. I turned in the Daedalus mission that I started before the ending and the guy said something like "Did that other guy send you?" So the game seems to add a line to fit the continuity, even though nobody aged.
And also the Aztec Gold stranger mission in Mexico, if you start it as John and end it as Jack the dude comments on how you look younger. :v:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I maxed out on wolf pelts. I ran into what must have been a wolf spawning ground. I'd kill five, begin to skin them and before I got the second one done I'd hear more growling. I'd raise my gun, blast away and have multiple corpses of wolves roll to my feet for easy access.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jtomeo
Jan 10, 2003
Are the "Outlaws to the End" multiplayer missions just hopelessly bugged right now? The Escape seems to be the only mission that can make it past the loading screen...

• Locked thread