Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Agent Escalus posted:

I give kudos to the fact that the Gremlin was used just right;

I pretty much agree. I didn't care for the gremlin in general, but the fact is that the silly characters serve to break things up a bit, and help to pad out the time. AVGN has listened to his sensibility, and the more cantankerous of his fans (us), and has improved noticeably. I can live with the occasional gremlin if he's more toned down than the joker or bugs.

My personal favorite is the disdainful old man hawking rare old games. But do all of the mascots have to be hostile jackasses to make the video? Is there a different personality they can adopt to still be funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

My personal favorite is the disdainful old man hawking rare old games. But do all of the mascots have to be hostile jackasses to make the video? Is there a different personality they can adopt to still be funny?

Well there was that ninja in the Ninja Gaiden video who helped James out. I thought he was pretty good, as far as AVGN characters go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The worst is when Mike shows up in the non-AVGN videos because that's when he does all the talking and the Nerd is quiet.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well there was that ninja in the Ninja Gaiden video who helped James out. I thought he was pretty good, as far as AVGN characters go.

Yeah, the ninja has been the best side-character by far. The "outtakes" reel with him just ad-libbing ninja haikus and wisdom was pretty funny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Surprised he doesn't actually have a TV show, or a movie. I mean, My New Haircut is getting a movie, so why not AVGN?

I really liked the James at E3 vids too. You can tell when he's really excited about something.

The Hero Quest vid drove me nuts, because Mike just hosed around and they didn't show any of what is a very fun, and deep game.

Oh god, the Lindsey Dune vid. I don't know why this upset me, but there's just something so, I don't know, smugly ignorant about it. All the questions could have been cleared up by a few minutes on Wikipedia. And Jesus gently caress, even though it says in the vid that a McGuffin is an important storytelling technique, the way it's presented it's as if its only used by hacks who have zero talent.

Even though its pretty much a standard thing is golden age sci-fi writing.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Anyone also enjoy his Board James videos as of late? While kinda campy it shows abit of his actual reviewer side. Newest AVGN also showed it. I like the improved quality over the past few entries.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

My New Haircut is getting a movie,
what

Is Hollywood that goddamn hard up for movie ideas right now? Holy poo poo.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

doctorfrog posted:

I pretty much agree. I didn't care for the gremlin in general, but the fact is that the silly characters serve to break things up a bit, and help to pad out the time. AVGN has listened to his sensibility, and the more cantankerous of his fans (us), and has improved noticeably. I can live with the occasional gremlin if he's more toned down than the joker or bugs.

I'm glad they got rid of him for the bulk of the episode, but he's all over the Rocky segment, which would have been one of the funniest AVGN bits ever if he wasn't plastered in front of the screen being obnoxious.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Kortel posted:

Anyone also enjoy his Board James videos as of late? While kinda campy it shows abit of his actual reviewer side. Newest AVGN also showed it. I like the improved quality over the past few entries.

I really like Board James, mostly because it's really original and there aren't any copycats draining that territory yet.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Kevin Finn seems to be a pretty funny guy. As in, someone who's probably pretty funny and spontaneous in real life, which is more than I can say for James or Mike. I liked him as the Glitch Gremlin and the Ninja from the Ninja Gaiden episode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

what

Is Hollywood that goddamn hard up for movie ideas right now? Holy poo poo.

He has the most youtube viewers and its among 10 year olds who have no goddamned taste. On the positive side him getting the movie deal made him retire the persona and stop making videos.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Surprised he doesn't actually have a TV show, or a movie. I mean, My New Haircut is getting a movie, so why not AVGN?

I understand what you're saying, but both of those ideas are extremely stupid.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Technowrite posted:

Spoony gets better and better every time I watch him.

He's great to listen to, he has a genuine knack for pointing out just what make ssomething good or bad. Which means he's a good critic.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

What video has the old dude?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of Spoony: he had a close encounter of the grenade kind in XCOM: Terrors of the Deep. Laughed himself silly there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Robolizard! posted:

What video has the old dude?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
That's a great one. The setup is perfect. The older horror themed AVGNs are the best... Friday the 13th, Nightmare, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, all great.

The Frankenstein and Dracula ones are newer... not nearly as good. They're more like average episodes.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
James and Mike tour the Evens City Cemetery from Night of the Living Dead in Western PA.

EDIT: I tried and it works fine in IE, Opera and Chrome.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 13, 2010

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

I can't see the video, it's just text. :confused:

disc
Sep 27, 2009

oldgoatmon posted:

Your ad filter is likely blocking it, I had to disable mine to watch.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldgoatmon posted:

Wouldn't work for me in Firefox, works fine in IE.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Haud posted:

I wonder what it'd be like to be married to a guy who makes internet videos about 20 year old video games in his basement for a living.
Her old art website used to have a painting of herself and James in a loving embrace. The picture isn't on the Wayback Machine, but the thumbnail is:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071217211114/aprilchmura.com/paintingspage.html

I kind of wish I'd saved that to my computer back when I first saw it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In one of the something con pictures, he posted a picture with his wife, himself and Mike and some celebrity I can't remember. She single-handedly saved the Critic/Nerd brawl shooting time in his basement that one time because none of them knew how to tie a tie.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Trip to the Dawn of the Dead Shopping Mall. If you've never seen DotD, I'd recommend it. It's arguably Romero's best work. Not necessary for watching this though I guess.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Being from Pittsburgh, let me tell you something. The Monroeville mall is a terribly depressing place. Got hit hard by the economic crash, so all the stores got closed and are now knicknack shops. SOOOOOOOOOO MANY knicknack shops

edit: Also they didn't go to the actual Zombie store in the video. There's an independently owned toy store/zombie store. There's a theater in the back and they organize zombie walks and sell cool toys from back in the day (Want to buy a queen Xenomorph? They've got 'em) Seems like James could've (should've) dropped in there and one of the dudes would've been happy to take him around for a tour.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 16, 2010

s0beit
Sep 23, 2008
I WISH GRANDMA HAD DIED SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO TALK TO LIBERALS
I made this topic we talked about earlier, seriously praying nobody beat me to it.

Game Reviewers: The good, the bad and the untalented

Abbot Lau
Oct 6, 2004

The Buddha teaches mercy. I have made a vow not to kill... but it seems I must!
Getting back to the Clubberfuck for one moment...

If you look at it carefully its arms are fused together pointing directly up, and a single leg is embedded in there as well. If you put the leg back and rotated the arms a bit it might start looking a bit more normal.

I just love the way, as hosed up as it looks, the Clubberfuck swaggers in as if it's going to kick Zombie Rocky's rear end. Look at the video- the swaggering movement subroutine seems to have escaped uncorrupted.

My favourite bit is the way in which James says 'What have you done to their faces?' Is that a quote from Rosemary's baby?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

James interviews George Steele

Great interview.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There isn't a video I've seen this week that I've enjoyed as much as this one. Put a few smiles on my face.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The Gremlin's concept and lines were funny, but I thought the delivery was really bad. The "not gonna work!" bit should be said with a :smug: tone, not a :geno: tone. Also, his voice shouldn't have been pitched-up. I think it might be partially at fault for making the lines sound awkward.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 21, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't even know about this until I checked his site so James goes to Comic-Con for Spike.com.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zelda 2! Check it!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Policenaut posted:

Zelda 2! Check it!

What, he's reviewing a good game? I know he's used Zelda 2 in the past as an example of a sequel that's different but still good. I have to see this.

dawunderboy
Aug 9, 2009
I liked it, the start was a little long but it was a nice review. I enjoy most of his stuff, and am in the minority that actually likes when he has dudes like his friend Mike in reviews. It was pretty calm, I like the part where he hits the skull over and over. Someone like Spoony (and I like him too) would hammer you over the head with fake anger or some other kind of bullshit but he was just like "hey this is... weird." I like that he only has them once a month and works on other stuff as well now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I saw that ending coming, and I still laughed.

This reminded me, I remember one day at work we were talking about Zelda games because Twilight Princess was coming out soon, and one of my co-workers mentioned that he wasn't a big fan of the Zelda games. This was because the first Zelda game he played was Zelda II, and he loved it so much he tried the first and didn't like it. And then he didn't like the SNES one because of that same reason. Basically, he liked the punishingly hard 2D action kind-of-RPG-ish nature of Zelda II. Also, Zelda II rules.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 5, 2010

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Outside of the Graphic Gremlin cameo, that was one of the better AVGNs to come out in a while. Him fighting his shadow was pretty solid.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Definitely loved the Power Glove scene at the end, great throwback. I definitely liked this one miles better than the Glitch Gremlin one or whatever it was called, got a few cheap laughs at him punching his own shadow.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was a really good episode. I've tried to beat Zelda 2 a bunch of times, but it (like a lot of old school Nintendo games) has puzzles with really vague solutions that force you to find an FAQ or strategy guide. Even then, some of the enemies are hard as gently caress early on when you're weak and lacking magic spells.

The ending was really great though. It's almost like on the Power Glove video where he landed the plane on Top Gun. Maybe the Power Glove isn't not so bad after all... It's just mis-understood. :shobon:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Great review, only part I really disliked was the beginning where he talks about the odd names for zelda enemies. Naming a few would have been ok but he practically goes through the whole manual to demonstrate his point.

The P-Bag joke was a bit of a stretch even for him but he didn't dwell on it, so was a good review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great review, only part I really disliked was the beginning where he talks about the odd names for zelda enemies.bit of a stretch even for him but he didn't dwell on it, so was a good review.

Yeah, that went on a little too long..

RagnarokAngel posted:

The P-Bag joke was a bit of a stretch even for him but he didn't dwell on it

... and that definitely was a reach and made me roll my eyes, but overall, I think it was a great review. Glitch Gremlin returning was something that I actually had a small giggle at, since it was more of a brief call back rather than LETS RUN THIS poo poo INTO THE GROUND. Kind of like poo poo Pickle returning in the Action 52 reviews. Brief, only a couple of seconds, and actually made me chuckle.

• Locked thread