Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
hello friends,

I just started playing soccer again in march in a school intramural indoor league (5 a side). I suck, as in i havent played since i was like 11 so I have no ball control and cant do much of anything except run. We play on astroturf, and I also play pickup games on the weekends on astroturf. Right now ive been switching between playing in my nike frees or an old pair of sambas, and both kind of suck. I dont like the sambas because they are quite heavy, and the frees are barefoot running shoes and are horrible for anything involving contacting a ball (they look like clown shoes). Can anyone recommend a decent cheap pair of shoes? Should i be looking for indoor shoes or turf shoes if we play on the astroturf with rubber pellets (you CAN use cleats but id rather only buy one pair of shoes for starters). I was looking at the nike ctr360 librettos, but I havent had a chance to try any on yet. I like light shoes so I can run up and down the field all day, but something that would help me improve my touch would be nice. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The indoor sole is really meant for wooden gym floors rather than astro. Then there's actual astro or HG (hard ground) soles which I believe are intended for sand based astro rather than modern 3G but work quite well and are a better choice than indoor. Then there's AG (artificial ground) which is made specifically for 3G (the artificial stuff with rubber pellets) but not as common as astro soles, and FG (firm ground) which is usually the designation for blades and works on 3G but in some places you're not allowed to use them. Finally soft ground is usually 6 metal tipped studs, wouldn't be permitted on 3G and would kill your feet if you did anyway.

That's indoor, astro, AG, FG and SG in order.

Either way, even in astro and indoor soles I've only seen the cheap versions of the Nike boots (in the 360's case they go Libretto, Trequartista, Maestri in ascending order) and at that point you just get the styling rather than the technology, which is of questionable benefit anyway. If there is a difference then the 360's supposedly are good for your first touch while the Mercurial line are Nike's lightest boots.

At the end of the day if all you want is a cheap pair I would ignore all the styling and branding and just buy anything with an astro sole that fits well and feels comfortable, and hopefully is also on sale.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 29, 2010

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah just go for whatever's affordable and has an astro sole, don't be too concerned with getting the latest $200 NIKE PREDATOR AIR MAX whatever bullshit. You're not going to play any better in them over the $50 Nike ones or whatever.

Also quoting from the previous page:

Shrapnac posted:

Try boots on, buy the ones that are the most comfortable. That's pretty much it.

Messyass posted:

Pick out cheap boots that don't look retarded. Try if they fit. Buy.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2010

losty
Jan 8, 2006

Korn Parker Boyd!
euroboy, I was reading back through the thread and saw your post about breaking a bone in your ankle.

euroboy posted:

This happened to me. Rolled over my ankle, thought it was just a little thing and then it turned it I had broken a little bone inside my foot and I couldn't play for well over two months. Annoying as hell and still haven't healed properly after 3 years, so you should take it easy for a while to be safe.

I pretty much did this exactly back in mid April. I was playing a pickup game of football on a terrible field that we shouldn't have been playing on. I stepped in a hole and thought I just rolled my ankle but turned out I broke some small bone.

Now a bit over 2 months later I'm starting to feel comfortable playing again, but I'm still scared to death of breaking it again as it still hurts when I make cuts. Do you (or anyone) have any advice on how to ease back into the game after this injury? And do you use any kind of ankle wrap or brace when you play? One of my friends has a brace he uses for rugby but it looks too bulky.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

losty posted:

Now a bit over 2 months later I'm starting to feel comfortable playing again, but I'm still scared to death of breaking it again as it still hurts when I make cuts. Do you (or anyone) have any advice on how to ease back into the game after this injury? And do you use any kind of ankle wrap or brace when you play? One of my friends has a brace he uses for rugby but it looks too bulky.

Do what I didn't, as in do everything the doctor says you should do :negative:

I don't use anything aside from the standard equipment. I don't feel any pain, but I can feel something isn't quite as it should when I move my foot in a certain way. Not worried about it anymore, it probably just grew together a bit awkwardly.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

losty posted:

euroboy, I was reading back through the thread and saw your post about breaking a bone in your ankle.

I pretty much did this exactly back in mid April. I was playing a pickup game of football on a terrible field that we shouldn't have been playing on. I stepped in a hole and thought I just rolled my ankle but turned out I broke some small bone.

I don't have direct experience but I think braces and the like are more for supporting damaged/weakened ligaments rather than bones. In my opinion if it still hurts it's likely not fully healed and I'd give it another two weeks at least, but once it is fully healed you shouldn't need to brace or strap it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

I don't have direct experience but I think braces and the like are more for supporting damaged/weakened ligaments rather than bones. In my opinion if it still hurts it's likely not fully healed and I'd give it another two weeks at least, but once it is fully healed you shouldn't need to brace or strap it.

General rule of thumb, bones stop hurting when they've healed. I'm not a big fan of braces myself because a lot of people tend to rely on them after awhile instead of strengthening the soft tissue.

Edit: Ask me about the eight months of pain I've had with a bone bruise on my knee joint, heh.

losty
Jan 8, 2006

Korn Parker Boyd!
Yeah I'll probably just give it a few more weeks of rest. Thanks for the advice about the brace. I've never used one, I can't imagine playing with one.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
it's likely you did some ligament damage when you rolled it too and that is the pain you're feeling, rest is really the only thing you can do.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i need some tips from the keepers in here!

i have a bad habit of reaching with my right hand when diving left. this usually causes my to flip and land on my stomach when diving and also doesn't allow me to reach as far. it just feels so unnatural to reach with my left hand. i'm really right-dominate. any advice on how to correct this? i've been really conscious of it and have done a few proper saves that direction, but it's hard to break the habit

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

CAMiasm posted:

i need some tips from the keepers in here!

i have a bad habit of reaching with my right hand when diving left. this usually causes my to flip and land on my stomach when diving and also doesn't allow me to reach as far. it just feels so unnatural to reach with my left hand. i'm really right-dominate. any advice on how to correct this? i've been really conscious of it and have done a few proper saves that direction, but it's hard to break the habit

If you're making the save, then it's not a bad habit. Pro keepers do it all the time, especially when punching. In fact, you might actually be getting more reach by twisting. From the previous page:

PhillyLucky posted:

Reach with your right hand out in front of you to the right. Then reach with your left hand out to the right turning your left shoulder. You'll notice your left hand actually goes a little further. The keepers I coach I instruct to do this when at all possible. Same goes for punching a ball.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

^^^ Pretty much.

I have a problem where I dive to my right really easily, but shots to my left I react a lot slower to.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Argyle posted:

If you're making the save, then it's not a bad habit. Pro keepers do it all the time, especially when punching. In fact, you might actually be getting more reach by twisting. From the previous page:

that quote from the previous page is telling me to reach with the opposite hand though? when i dive to the left, i reach with my right hand and not my left hand. everywhere i've looked has told me i'm doing it wrong.

:confused:

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

CAMiasm posted:

that quote from the previous page is telling me to reach with the opposite hand though? when i dive to the left, i reach with my right hand and not my left hand. everywhere i've looked has told me i'm doing it wrong.

:confused:

From what I've gathered, if it's high and to the left use your right hand. If it's low and to the left use your left. If it's straight out to the left use whichever you can get on it.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
hm..

i've heard that you're supposed to land on your side every time. it's confusing what's "proper"

go to 25 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9iPMtTaGc

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
On that previous page I was referring to dives where the ball is high that you should use your opposite hand.

The dive you are doing now is referred to as a superman dive, and what happens is instead of pushing yourself outward you are pushing yourself over, Taking distance away from your dive. Its not the worst mistake in the world for an adult keeper playing in a rec league, but at other levels it would be a big deal. The biggest reason for you doing this actually has to do with your footwork. Lets say you are diving to your left to save a shot. Your first movement needs to be left foot takes a step to the left, and forward, and your toes should be pointed at lets say 10oclock. You would then transfer your weight to your left leg and foot which stepped OUT and FORWARD slightly and push yourself towards the dive. If you stood up and did it right now, you would know when you reached the position where you are ready to dive because as soon as your transfer that weight you can feel your muscle ready to explode you into that dive. If you dont drive that left foot out at all you will end up in a superman position. This is because your diving off both feet which is incorrect. If you only drive it out slightly the same thing will happen. You should not be extending it some crazy distance, just going from about shoulder width apart and stepping out about 1 foot.

Sorry if my post is confusing, I'm trying my best to explain it through text but its not a simple thing to do.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 1, 2010

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
ooh wow. i just stood up and did that. i get what you're saying. very helpful!

i'm playing at the summer camp for my school right now. i'm 1st choice keeper, so i'm trying to get as good as possible before the season starts in the fall! i need to be fundamentally sound.. haha

thanks for the tipsssss

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Has anyone had any experience selling boots on ebay? I'm not normally one to drop £100 on a pair of boots as I mentioned above but my mum wanted to get me a birthday present and I needed a pair for firm ground so I figured I'd splash out a bit and got a pair of CTR360 Maestris. Size 10 were too big, size 9 were slightly too small but I couldn't find anywhere, online or off selling them in a 9.5 so I assumed they just weren't available.

Lo and behold, one blister later and I've now found them in a non-foot-crushing size but obviously I can't send these back after playing in them a couple of times. If they were leather I could probably get away with it but apparently the synthetic stuff they used for these doesn't stretch so it seems like my best bet is to flog them on ebay and start over.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Has anyone had any experience selling boots on ebay? I'm not normally one to drop £100 on a pair of boots as I mentioned above but my mum wanted to get me a birthday present and I needed a pair for firm ground so I figured I'd splash out a bit and got a pair of CTR360 Maestris. Size 10 were too big, size 9 were slightly too small but I couldn't find anywhere, online or off selling them in a 9.5 so I assumed they just weren't available.

Lo and behold, one blister later and I've now found them in a non-foot-crushing size but obviously I can't send these back after playing in them a couple of times. If they were leather I could probably get away with it but apparently the synthetic stuff they used for these doesn't stretch so it seems like my best bet is to flog them on ebay and start over.

Make sure you post them as slightly used. Take pics of any wear and then stick them up there for an opening price you'd be ok with getting and hope people bid. Then rape rape rape on shipping cost.

I've bought and sold boots on eBay, it's not really all that tough.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Anyone know of any good sites based in the US that sell soccer cleats pretty cheap?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kiros posted:

Anyone know of any good sites based in the US that sell soccer cleats pretty cheap?

https://www.google.com

Or you could try soccer.com

Either one would probably work.

Hell, even zappos and amazon sell cleats.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Welp, I started playing again. My knees feel pretty good. Touch apparently never goes away, so that is nice. Just trying to strengthen up my leg muscles and lose some weight so I don't have another injury and I can stay married.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Shrapnac posted:

Hell, even zappos and amazon sell cleats.

Zappos has free return shipping. I just buy a couple styles/sizes, return the ones that don't fit.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've been kicking around a ball with my younger sister, mostly just fooling around with a goal at a nearby park.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I would appear to have agreed to start playing 5 a sides with the guys in my team at work. This is going to end in pain, I've not played in about 10 years.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i strained my right rotator cuff meaning i can't play keeper :(

i'm not exactly sure how it happened. i think it's from diving to that side and hurling the ball with that arm. there was no specific instance where it started hurting. i think i've been neglecting warming up my arms. no longer!

the nurse said to take ibuprofen and ice it until it heals. she thinks it'll take 3 weeks. i've been playing central midfield, but i want to be between the posts :cry:

anyone have experience dealing with rotator cuffs?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Started playing 5 a side a couple weeks ago and the randomly paired team I'm on is miles better in skill level than the other teams. We played two games this week and won 35-1 and 20-2, in 40 minute games. It's fun because we can dick around but I was hoping for a bit of competition.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Anyone know what are some good speed drills to use with the frisbee cones? I usually follow the nike football 101 apps on itunes and working out so I can get in shape for the local casual fall season.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, the physical therapy on my ankle is going well, and I get out of my walking booth on the 20th. I can't wait to get a ball and just go out and practice a bit. Since I know literally nothing about how to play in terms of technique, I ordered a DVD set from SoccerU.com and have been watching it to get the theory down.

I hate being immobile.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

Started playing 5 a side a couple weeks ago and the randomly paired team I'm on is miles better in skill level than the other teams. We played two games this week and won 35-1 and 20-2, in 40 minute games. It's fun because we can dick around but I was hoping for a bit of competition.

That doesn't sound fun at all. Why not just call it a win at halftime then mix up the players for something more challenging?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've been out of commission due to a hamstring tear on my right leg since February. I've been in physical therapy for the past two months. This type of injury takes absolutely forever to heal.

If I have a word of advice to any of you it's to keep your hamstrings flexible. If you can't easily reach your toes, you're going to injure yourself soon.

That being said, while I'm recuperating I've begun trying to "learn" to shoot with my left foot. What a nightmare. I just took about 100 shots over and over into a net looking like a 5 year old.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i just bought new cleats

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3843180

i decided to get these instead of the adipure 3 because they're $50 cheaper. they look pretty similar to me. from what i gather, the adipure is one of the best shoes, so i'm hoping these are good too.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3721203&kwCatId=&cid=G17102&shopGroup=R

i also got those in white/gum because i needed some new sneakers :O

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

the posted:

I've been out of commission due to a hamstring tear on my right leg since February. I've been in physical therapy for the past two months. This type of injury takes absolutely forever to heal.

If I have a word of advice to any of you it's to keep your hamstrings flexible. If you can't easily reach your toes, you're going to injure yourself soon.

That being said, while I'm recuperating I've begun trying to "learn" to shoot with my left foot. What a nightmare. I just took about 100 shots over and over into a net looking like a 5 year old.

Even more important than keeping them flexible is keeping them strong. Soccer players have a bad habit of having quads that are far too strong in comparison to their hamstrings, due to neglecting the hamstrings and overworking the quads. Keep those hammies strong lads.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CAMiasm posted:

i decided to get these instead of the adipure 3 because they're $50 cheaper. they look pretty similar to me. from what i gather, the adipure is one of the best shoes, so i'm hoping these are good too.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3721203&kwCatId=&cid=G17102&shopGroup=R

I got these exact boots because I mistook them for the adipure 3s. Seem pretty good though so far!

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

CAMiasm posted:

Got some Adipure 3's as a gift a few weeks back and aside from a bit of adjustment from wearing Copas for so long, they are all kinds of awesome. It feels weird to wear such bright white boots, though, after playing in black for so long. I keep seeing flashes of white in my peripheral vision that can be distracting.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Craigslist posted:

My name is Christina and I recently graduated from Loyola University Maryland. I was the starting center-mid/forward for the Division I women's soccer team during my four-year career. While I was at Loyola University, I was named to the All-Conference team, All-Academic team, and the SoccerBuzz National Team of the Week. I've spent my summers working at the N.C. State University and CASL camps.

I have been a personal soccer trainer for the past four years. I work with all levels (recreational to club). My training sessions focus on shooting with accuracy and power, as well as the technical and tactical aspects of the game.

Sessions are $40/hour. Group sessions (3 or more) are $20/player. Use the email on this post to contact me. We can then speak on the phone and set up a training schedule.

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day!

Do you think this g-g-g-GIRL would help me shoot a little better? I suck. I'm also 26.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Just started playing again after a few years of just randomly kicking it around every once in awhile. I was the backup varsity and starting JV (more fun, less pressure) keeper in high school and I'm currently playing with a pickup group on Saturday's. Going to have to find a new one soon though, as I'm heading back to school in a few weeks.

Anybody run such a group in/around Kalamazoo that might need a keeper?

Edit: What are some of the feelings on keepers and height in here? I'm fairly convinced the only reason I was backup keeper for the varsity in high school was because the other guy was about half a foot taller than me (I'm 5"8). Our skill levels were about the same, except he had a bit more power in his kicks and I was a bit quicker to the ball.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

McCloud24 posted:

Just started playing again after a few years of just randomly kicking it around every once in awhile. I was the backup varsity and starting JV (more fun, less pressure) keeper in high school and I'm currently playing with a pickup group on Saturday's. Going to have to find a new one soon though, as I'm heading back to school in a few weeks.

Anybody run such a group in/around Kalamazoo that might need a keeper?

Edit: What are some of the feelings on keepers and height in here? I'm fairly convinced the only reason I was backup keeper for the varsity in high school was because the other guy was about half a foot taller than me (I'm 5"8). Our skill levels were about the same, except he had a bit more power in his kicks and I was a bit quicker to the ball.

Small keepers are at a disadvantage mate.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Story time! Over the years, me and some friends will occasionally volunteer to coach U-12 or U-14 boys soccer in a recreation city league. One of our U-12 teams was pretty good aside from this one kid.

Steven (I think his name was) was a whiny rear end. He complained constantly about normal things during practice. He refused to listen to any sort of direction and if one of the other kids ever tried to help or something to him he'd get seriously bent out shape and nearly start crying. This was a regular staple of our practices. Every other kid doing well, Steven being annoying. He didn't want help, he didn't want to be there and he made sure everyone knew.

We were down a goal late in one game. So in a hurry, our GK went to punt the ball. However, Steven's dumbass wasn't paying attention because he didn't give a poo poo. Steven happened to turn around and look down the second our GK punted the ball. This resulted in the ball traveling about two feet from our GK's foot to Steven's face.

I covered my mouth in horror for a second but had to keep my hands over my mouth because I was laughing. He had a little blood on his nose but he was mostly fine. His mom stormed the field like Jimmy Jump.

That ended up taking a lot longer to type than I thought.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

ShimSham posted:

His mom stormed the field like Jimmy Jump.

You want to talk about mom's storming the field? The last year I played we had Polish exchange student on the team. He was a pretty good ringer for Ivan Drago. A lot of people believed he was fleeing the Polish army and just pretending to be a teenager, but I always thought that was bullshit and he was just really big.

Well, the home schoolers in our area had their own team, and we had a game against them. They never actually managed to get anywhere near me, so I was just watching things from back in the box for most of the game. All of a sudden, I hear a gasp from the crowd and screaming from the other end of the field. Our Drago slid into one of the homeschoolers and broke his drat leg! You want to talk about parents going crazy, break the leg of a home schooled athlete. The upshot was that it took so long for the ambulance to get there that they just called the game right then, and we were up 1-0. I understand that their kid just had his leg broken, but the way this woman, and the others that ran down with her, acted, you'd think he'd been hit by the D.C. sniper or something.

McCloud24 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 16, 2010