Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zereth posted:

Wait they're WHAT? Can you give a link to this? :aaaaa:

CCP Zulu's Dev Blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Stobex posted:

Griefing the gently caress out of UO

My friend did somewhat of unique grief back in Defiance. Was it AoS or what expansion that brought those small quests that no-one who hadn't read about them in Stratics knew nothing? Well, they weren't nothing spectacular, some boost to your virtues and so-on and nobody did them because Virtues weren't that important on Defiance. On one quest there were this flute as quest item that when played, had it's own unique soundfile. My friend got one of those and cancelled the quest, because he wanted to keep that flute. Beign tamer, he usually banksitted at WBB with some nightmares he tried to sold. One day he had the flute with him and he started randomly to play it. In next ten seconds half of shard were there, wondering where that noise came from. Being smart guy, he pronounced that those two nightmares he had were bugged and made that noise everytime owner clicked on them. Nightmares were tough, magic-using mounts that weren't that cheap in the first place and by lying his rear end off my friend quickly tripled their value by selling them to jack-poo poo crazy japanese who wanted those rare bug mounts.

We griefed the gently caress out of japanese on that server on many other occasions too, because it was so drat easy. Just like steal their carrots or touch their piles of wool when they are building some retarded custom-deco in their house or go and scream KOREA #1 in their guild village.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I just got kicked from a TF2 server for airblasting people off the cliff in plr_hightower over and over and over again. It is so much fun and I didn't consider it griefing until people got so intensely pissed off about it.

People get really butthurt about getting beaten in games, I guess.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I just got kicked from a TF2 server for airblasting people off the cliff in plr_hightower over and over and over again. It is so much fun and I didn't consider it griefing until people got so intensely pissed off about it.

:wtc: You can only airblast enemies so isn't that kind of your job? Sounds like some huge baby admins to me. Nice work!

Also, how dare you play a game properly sir, how DARE YOU.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Kerbtree posted:

CCP Zulu's Dev Blog

it's pretty funny that they're going to allow it because there's still no reason TO ever actually do this, because you can still apply them from anywhere ingame.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TimNeilson posted:

it's pretty funny that they're going to allow it because there's still no reason TO ever actually do this, because you can still apply them from anywhere ingame.

what better way to dick over your customers than to have everything they can have be stolen. NOW YOUR GAME TIME CAN BE STOLEN TOO PAL! :buddy:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Dizz posted:

what better way to dick over your customers than to have everything they can have be stolen. NOW YOUR GAME TIME CAN BE STOLEN TOO PAL! :buddy:

Personally I think this is the best part:

quote:

If you blow up a ship that happens to be carrying PLEX, it may drop the PLEX as loot or it may be destroyed in the conflagration (much like any other item in a ship's cargo hold). The refund policies for PLEX will not be any different from any other item.

The Lost Levels
Dec 11, 2009

The one warp pipe they didn't tell you about.
While I was off on my probation (long story, don't ask), I decided to have a bit of fun on creative servers in Minecraft. If you are unfamiliar, Minecraft is similar to blockland of old, in that you build things out of cubes made of different materials. Creative servers give you and several other people the ability to have infinite blocks of any type.

What they don't do, however, is give you the ability to stop someone from deleting your work. :twisted:

Or digging a hole to the ocean from your underground fortress, flooding it forever. :twisted:

Or carefully deleting every block in a wall and replacing it with a perfectly rendered pixel drawing of a dick. Etc. You get the point. I wish I had taken screenshots of all the pubby rage I caused in the past month.

Nick at Nite man
May 9, 2004

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I was doing this on an achievement server. I think he was actually trying to get achievements and not just dick around so I thought I would help him have a little fun. Eventually the guy went pyro also and started to airblast me back, it was terrible fun, so I let him know he should keep doing it. This made him more angry and he walked away so I had to remind him of the fun he was missing out on. He did this nonstop for the next 10 min or so with us trading wind back and forth and I kept telling him "higher, higher" and "weeeeeeeeeeeeee." I think eventually the guy got an admin, or one admin just happened to join, to try to ban me but I told him we were having fun "weeeeeeeeeee." It is also fun to puff the bots away after spawn so the players have to work for their kills.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Also, how dare you play a game properly sir, how DARE YOU.

I was banned from a server for "violating server rules" by plinking injured enemies in the head with the Ambassador at long range.

A couple members of their retarded clan started whining and screeching about it, so I played clips from the myg0t flash movie with the spergy gamer over the mic (HLDJ). That did not help.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dizz posted:

I don't see this as being a concern, mainly because there is absolutely no reason to transport time cards in the first place. The dev post says that you can redeem them at any station, NPC or otherwise, so there is no need to transport them and risk destruction.

The only possible situation is if you're some kind of "time card broker" or something which is ridiculous enough that I doubt anyone will care if they lose their cards.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

For the people who don't play EVE, what are these time cards and why are they game breaky?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

For the people who don't play EVE, what are these time cards and why are they game breaky?

They're 30 day time cards, you redeem them and can play for another 30 days. They can be bought and sold for in game money.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

You can redeem massive volumes of in-game money to buy timecards which basically pay your subscription fee, thus converting in-game money into real-world money in the forum of replacing your subscription fee. By destroying the vessel carrying the time cards, you are literally taking someones $10/month out of their hands. It's a double-whammy. They lose in-game money, real-world money, a ship, and a character's clone body.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Like (almost) any other subscription-based MMO, you can buy time cards with real money and exchange them for X amount of subscription time. Most MMOs do not allow the resale of time cards in any fashion. EVE allows players to trade them in game. Time cards can be converted into an in-game item (called PLEX), which can then be redeemed for subscription time or traded. Or held in storage. Previously, PLEX could only be stored in NPC stations and could not be moved from place to place via ship's cargo hold. Those restrictions are being removed.

Which is really silly, unless they also remove the ability to buy and redeem PLEX from anywhere.

e:f,b

Chomp8645 posted:

The only possible situation is if you're some kind of "time card broker" or something which is ridiculous enough that I doubt anyone will care if they lose their cards.

Such people exist. The destruction of their inventory means increased scarcity of PLEX and therefore increased prices of PLEX.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 13, 2010

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess I was griefed yesterday in Demon's Souls.

There is this guy in Demon's Souls who waits at 1-2 which is the area right when you first get your body back and you start the real game proper. So basically what this guy does is take his level 1 character with really good armor and sword and waits to invade people's games right when they barely start getting into the game. He pretty much one shots you regardless is you are blocking or not. So I joined a game to coop with someone else and he proceeds to kill us. Then I go back and join someone else's game and the very same guy joined this game too which mean that he got his body form back, then ran and killed himself to do it again.

After that, I stopped trying to help people and just played solo.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

blackguy32 posted:

I guess I was griefed yesterday in Demon's Souls.

There is this guy in Demon's Souls who waits at 1-2 which is the area right when you first get your body back and you start the real game proper. So basically what this guy does is take his level 1 character with really good armor and sword and waits to invade people's games right when they barely start getting into the game. He pretty much one shots you regardless is you are blocking or not. So I joined a game to coop with someone else and he proceeds to kill us. Then I go back and join someone else's game and the very same guy joined this game too which mean that he got his body form back, then ran and killed himself to do it again.

After that, I stopped trying to help people and just played solo.

Doesn't seem like you were griefed. It only counts if the victim shows signs of pain and suffering

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
I'm new to Garry's Mod, and I only really play it to grief TTT. But just tonight I went into a game where people were building stuff, and dicking around. Anyway, I finally learn how to noclip, and I start running around shooting people to death. Eventually, this one korean guy sets up a trap directly under the spawn so that people die as soon as they respawn. Ultimately, I'm forced to start saying "sarang hae" over voice chat, over and over. Eventually he leaves, yelling about how he's not gay, and that I should leave him alone.

Sarang hae means I love you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This happened a day ago on a server I play on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2yJR7oWN0s

I didn't even know it got recorded!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

That Awful Nick posted:

You can redeem massive volumes of in-game money to buy timecards which basically pay your subscription fee, thus converting in-game money into real-world money in the forum of replacing your subscription fee. By destroying the vessel carrying the time cards, you are literally taking someones $10/month out of their hands. It's a double-whammy. They lose in-game money, real-world money, a ship, and a character's clone body.

It's almost like they're trolling their own fanbase. I suddenly feel the urge to say "EVE owns".

And now I feel dirty.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Toad on a Hat posted:

It's almost like they're trolling their own fanbase. I suddenly feel the urge to say "EVE owns".

And now I feel dirty.

Honestly, it's not that bad of a decision. Even if just 5% of all subscription cards (or whatever) get destroyed, people still have to buy back that 5% to keep playing. That's purely from a business standpoint though.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't see this as being a concern, mainly because there is absolutely no reason to transport time cards in the first place. The dev post says that you can redeem them at any station, NPC or otherwise, so there is no need to transport them and risk destruction.

Yes, but there's a huge segment of the EVE playerbase comprised entirely of morons. Never think there is something so fruitless and stupid and nonsensical that someone won't do it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minorkos posted:

This happened a day ago on a server I play on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2yJR7oWN0s

I didn't even know it got recorded!

Not sure I understand what's going on in that (never played TTT before). Could you explain?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

crumshot posted:

Not sure I understand what's going on in that (never played TTT before). Could you explain?

Yeah I never understand that poo poo either. It's never kids yelling "human being" or "SUCK MY DICK" and that's all griefing is to me.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's just me, but I've always found it hard to grief in TTT, but I find it really easy in every other online game.
I think part of it is I don't have a mic that I can use in my defense, or to annoy people.

There's always some loving admin on, or there's a votekick/voteban option, which makes it hard to do anything for very long before I get kicked.

Garry's mod role-playing servers are fun to gently caress with though :frogc00l:

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Swartz posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always found it hard to grief in TTT, but I find it really easy in every other online game.
I think part of it is I don't have a mic that I can use in my defense, or to annoy people.

There's always some loving admin on, or there's a votekick/voteban option, which makes it hard to do anything for very long before I get kicked.

Garry's mod role-playing servers are fun to gently caress with though :frogc00l:

you gotta play with bros.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

The Lost Levels posted:

While I was off on my probation (long story, don't ask), I decided to have a bit of fun on creative servers in Minecraft. If you are unfamiliar, Minecraft is similar to blockland of old, in that you build things out of cubes made of different materials. Creative servers give you and several other people the ability to have infinite blocks of any type.

What they don't do, however, is give you the ability to stop someone from deleting your work. :twisted:

Or digging a hole to the ocean from your underground fortress, flooding it forever. :twisted:

Or carefully deleting every block in a wall and replacing it with a perfectly rendered pixel drawing of a dick. Etc. You get the point. I wish I had taken screenshots of all the pubby rage I caused in the past month.

Hate to keep calling people out in this thread, especially as I love the pubbie tears as much as the next goon, but:

Most goons who play minecraft in my experience agree that this style of griefing is just lovely behavior. Sure, there are some serious sperglords playing this game, but it's not like they're grinding to level 80 to get the sword of nazareth or whatever, they're just playing with legos. Why would you run into someone's room and start busting in their lego house? This isn't creative griefing, it's really not as funny as you think it is, someone actually used their own creativity to build something cool with their free time, and your third grade bully rear end had to wreck someone else's sand castle to make yourself feel better.

I can never say this enough: Minecraft is an art program. You deleting and ruining other peoples' art is like running through an museum with a knife and slashing all the paintings. Hah hah, you destroyed something someone else took time creating, you really showed those dumb pubbies who's the boss.

AXE BODY SPRAY
Aug 16, 2000

Hard Clumping posted:

I can never say this enough: Minecraft is an art program. You deleting and ruining other peoples' art is like running through an museum with a knife and slashing all the paintings. Hah hah, you destroyed something someone else took time creating, you really showed those dumb pubbies who's the boss.

Kind of what griefing is all about

Pretty much its like this. You can tell that its a good griefing technique if the other players get mad.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Hard Clumping posted:

Hate to keep calling people out in this thread, especially as I love the pubbie tears as much as the next goon, but:

Most goons who play minecraft in my experience agree that this style of griefing is just lovely behavior. Sure, there are some serious sperglords playing this game, but it's not like they're grinding to level 80 to get the sword of nazareth or whatever, they're just playing with legos. Why would you run into someone's room and start busting in their lego house? This isn't creative griefing, it's really not as funny as you think it is, someone actually used their own creativity to build something cool with their free time, and your third grade bully rear end had to wreck someone else's sand castle to make yourself feel better.

Evidently you're one of those really easy to grief people in Minecraft.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
A good griefing technique is one that is funny and creative. Hacking in an online game to kill everyone easily is griefing, but it's lovely. Running around destroying poo poo is griefing, but it's lovely. Adding huge dongs to everything would be way funnier.

e: because it takes effort and creativity like the UO griefing everyone loves

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
All I'm saying is that there's a difference between griefing someone who spends two years of their life leveling up some pre-made battleship in EVE no one will ever give a poo poo about, and griefing someone who spends a couple hours actually creating something that someone might see later and go "oh, that's cool, i wonder who built that."

e: /\/\/\ Yeah, very much this too. It still falls under valid griefing if you must, it's just boring and overtly pointless rather than creative and hilarious.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Griefing is an art, and those who do it Minecraft by wrecking poo poo are using crayons. Some of the UO poo poo I've read in here is museum grade grief-art. :golfclap:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

The Orange Mage posted:

Some of the UO poo poo I've read in here is museum grade grief-art. :golfclap:

Seriously. The UO stuff in this thread is why I keep coming back to read it. My all-time favorite grief is still the guy who duped hundreds of thousands of snails (or slugs or something) in his garden and threatened to release them twice unless they gave him stuff from his list of demands. The first time no one responded or gave him anything, so he released the snails on the town who spread like a plague, killing everything. The second time, people gave him everything he wanted, and he went ahead and released the snails anyway.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Lost Levels is a really obvious troll and has been for over a month, ignore him

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hard Clumping posted:

Seriously. The UO stuff in this thread is why I keep coming back to read it. My all-time favorite grief is still the guy who duped hundreds of thousands of snails (or slugs or something) in his garden and threatened to release them twice unless they gave him stuff from his list of demands. The first time no one responded or gave him anything, so he released the snails on the town who spread like a plague, killing everything. The second time, people gave him everything he wanted, and he went ahead and released the snails anyway.
Slimes, I believe. They split when attacked, so he trapped one in his house in a corall made of boxes that was the exact size of the blast radius of the weakest exploding potion in the game. Throw in potion, all the slimes in the area split, wait for them to heal up/heal them/whatever step he took to make sure they didn't die, repeat.

I think they also crashed the server after being released.

AXE BODY SPRAY
Aug 16, 2000

Greedish posted:

A good griefing technique is one that is funny and creative. Hacking in an online game to kill everyone easily is griefing, but it's lovely. Running around destroying poo poo is griefing, but it's lovely. Adding huge dongs to everything would be way funnier.

e: because it takes effort and creativity like the UO griefing everyone loves

Reactions are what counts

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Zereth posted:

Slimes, I believe. They split when attacked, so he trapped one in his house in a corall made of boxes that was the exact size of the blast radius of the weakest exploding potion in the game. Throw in potion, all the slimes in the area split, wait for them to heal up/heal them/whatever step he took to make sure they didn't die, repeat.

I think they also crashed the server after being released.

Yeah, slimes, I knew it started with an S. I'm pretty sure you're right, they even overwhelmed the superguards and the server either crashed or they just had to revert it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AXE BODY SPRAY posted:

Reactions are what counts
No, entertainment is what counts. A clever and original grief is more fun to read about than "Then I teamkilled him and he got pissed off :smugbert:".

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Vib Rib posted:

No, entertainment is what counts. A clever and original grief is more fun to read about than "Then I teamkilled him and he got pissed off :smugbert:".

In terms of reporting your griefs in this thread, yeah. I still maintain it's just as satisfying to get an over the top reaction to a completely amateur grief though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
How to grief: Do stuff to make people mad -> people get mad -> GRATZ!

• Locked thread