Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like to tie up an innocent civilian, bring him to a bridge, cut him free, and then instantly plunge to my death because Marsten dutifully marched into open space while cutting the ropes at the guy's feet :saddowns:

Did he look at the camera and hold up a sign with 'help!' painted on it first? Because that woould be bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fuzz posted:

I like hogtying a guy, putting him on my horse, then lassoing another and dragging him to a cliff. I then proceed to keep shoving the first guy until he's over the cliff, then I take down the other prisoner, untie them, and shove them over too.

When I got the horse thief event near Blackwater I decided to evade that honor loss for killing the guy by hogtying him, taking him into town, and dropping him off the dock.

Glooop.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hal Gill username posted:

When I got the horse thief event near Blackwater I decided to evade that honor loss for killing the guy by hogtying him, taking him into town, and dropping him off the dock.

Glooop.

One of my favorite moments in this game was coming back to Armadillo after fighting off Williamson's gang at Mercer Station and having Herbert Moon come running up to me shouting "I'M HERBERT MOOOOOOOOON!" and I can see the bandit running out over the flats north of town, so I take out my new Springfield, line up a shot from where I'm standing outside the saloon, and BAM! One shot, guy drops. I didn't even bother going to retrieve the money, I just walked into the saloon after that, imagining Marston saying, "There, go get your drat money yourself, you stupid bigot."

My most :clint: moment in the game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hal Gill username posted:

My new favorite non-honor-losing way of dealing with horse thieves is to shoot them in the kneecap, then chase them down and shove them to the ground every time they try to get up. If you get bored with that, you can mix it up by kicking them while they're down. I spent a good three minutes or so just kicking the poor guy in the crotch repeatedly. That'll learn 'im. Or at least it would if I didn't deliver a mercy killing, courtesy of a knife in his face.

BitingTheHermit
Nov 5, 2008
Just beat the game this morning. I'd say that it's a decent game, but not great.

As far as story goes, the game pretty much lives up to Rockstar's previous titles. The characters are all decently interesting with John Marston being probably the best protagonist in a Rockstar game to date. And while the plot can seem a little disjointed at times, it overall does a pretty good job of stringing things together whilst remaining somewhat involving.

My main problem with the game would probably be the difficulty - it's just too drat easy. Even with expert aiming on, picking off baddies while soaking up enemy fire is just far too simple to manage. There are only two or three instances where I can remember even having to use the cover system. I mostly just forgot it even existed. The game could have really used a hardcore difficulty level so you would be forced to use cover and have authentic feeling shootouts.

With a few small tweaks this game could have been really great. Though I still like it for what it is and I think it was worth the $74 I paid for it. :)

EDIT:

Also, I like the ending but being stuck having to play with Jack is a real bummer. Perhaps this was deliberately implemented so people would invest time in multiplayer who otherwise would just continue playing singleplayer? I dunno.

BitingTheHermit fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 14, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Just finally got the Legend of the West outfit. Turns out trying to do the final sharpshooter mission with the Evans Repeater was a pretty lovely idea. Switched to the Mauser and it was a breeze. If anyone's having trouble doing that one, I strongly advise using the Mauser. It was almost laughably easier once I made the swap.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I was running around Blackwater when some dude came running up to me yelling about his horse being stolen, so I went out and hogtied the guy and gave him back his horse. I wanted to see what I could do with a hogtied guy since I didn't have to kidnap an innocent person to experiment on, and all my previous attempts to squeeze sadism out of it had failed (both I and my victim were killed by banditos once, the bait I threw on another one's helpless body attracted coyotes that didn't give a poo poo about him and then my angry bullet to his head lost me honor that I hadn't planned on). So I tossed his body on the train tracks and waited for the train just up the road to arrive, but while it was chugging ahead I felt genuinely guilty about it and picked him up off the tracks. And then the train pulled up. And my horse ran straight into it. I guess I had to choose one of them :(

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

BitingTheHermit posted:

The game could have really used a hardcore difficulty level so you would be forced to use cover and have authentic feeling shootouts.

For what it's worth, I've found soloing the bandit hideouts in multiplayer is a nice change of pace. No slow-motion and 2-3 times the number of bandits ups the tension nicely.

That Awful Nick posted:

Turns out trying to do the final sharpshooter mission with the Evans Repeater was a pretty lovely idea. Switched to the Mauser and it was a breeze.

I ended up using the Carcano and abusing the Dead Eye reload. With the scope you don't even have to tag them, just point at their hand and shoot.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Depressing Box posted:

For what it's worth, I've found soloing the bandit hideouts in multiplayer is a nice change of pace. No slow-motion and 2-3 times the number of bandits ups the tension nicely.

The first thing I do when I start playing MP is beeline for Tesoro Azul and solo clear it, grabbing the High Power Pistol. I then grief people until they quit, when I find someone I find particularly annoying (anything from too many Xx's in the gamertag to passive aggressive defense against my attacks) I use the handy 'Join Session in Progress for Griefing" function in XBL.

I have heard there are other things to do in the game as well and I look forward to some day trying them out.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 14, 2010

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is there some bug with the sister who is supposed to give you some magic rosary at some point? My good guy points have been maxed out for half the game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So is there some bug with the sister who is supposed to give you some magic rosary at some point? My good guy points have been maxed out for half the game.

It's random. Just be on the lookout for nuns. Even dark figures who are just walking along the road (without a mount of course) could be her, wanting to give it to you.

Just keep an eye out.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

A Different Kind of Red Dead Story

We run a newspaper at my print shop that is a Netherlands paper. On our scheduling and order forms it is simply known as "Dutch."

Tonight that paper, which I need to have ready for the press, was very late coming in. As a result I have had at least 10 people come and ask me where they can find Dutch, if I've seen Dutch yet or if I have gotten any word about Dutch.

I just told my boss I'd kill him twice before I did Dutch. He seemed pretty confused. One guy plays the game and got it, but was standing with someone who didn't. Naturally I had to get up and start getting angry questioning him about the whereabouts of my wife and child. He adamantly refused to give them over until I have Dutch for them.

This has been a mildly entertaining evening.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Is your interest waning in RDR? Here's a few things to dick about with.

Lasso someone and drag him to a cliff face. Dangle him off the edge for a while and let go.

Be a loving man and run around free roam MP alone doing hideouts as a Native American, using only throwing and melee knives to complete it. poo poo is amazing, especially when you blind throw a knife around a corner into someone face. Never gets old to see Euphoria kick in while a guy clutches at the knife in his head and tumbles down.

Oh and spam the angry Native American comments (there's one character who is very, very angry about the abusing of his people. He looks the coolest aswell).

Finally, for Euphoria-philes, down some Moonshine and use the Carcano rifle to pop someone off their horse in deadeye. The slow motion stays and you can see some awesome slow motion falling / panicked horse with tumbling ex-rider animations. Seriously, I spent about 40 minutes doing this. It's amazing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Go to a bar and get six or seven shots, then play one of the following entertaining games:

- Break as many windows as possible with your face.

- Try to pick up enough speed to tumble clear overtop of a table or the bar, landing on the other side.

- Pick a nemesis. Your job is to drunkenly crash into him until he is knocked through the saloon's front door.

- Harass some gamblers by hurling your alcohol-soaked body at one or more of them, interfering with their game.

- If you own a room in or near the building, try to make it there for some much-needed sleep (this is goddamn impossible).

I don't know why, but Marsten's drunken stumbling, and subsequent ignominious sleep on the floor/street/gutter, is always the funniest thing in the world no matter how many times I've done it.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's better to just turn on the cheat (I'm drunk as a skunk and twice as smelly) so that you stay drunk indefinitely. Every time I try to do it with shots, Marston wipes out hard and stays down until completely sober.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I haven't found or used the drunkenness cheat. Plus cheats disable achievements and I've been trying to get the one for knocking someone out in every bar, which is more fun when you do it after getting pass-out drunk. :)

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
End game spoilers: Just finished up the main missions and switched to Jack. I did almost everything as John so I only have a handful of things to finish to get to 100%. Throughout the game I was definitely getting the impression that John was going to die, but then when he made it through the final mission with Dutch, I thought maybe not. Adding the family missions was brilliant, but holy poo poo, as soon as I realized what was happening I had that sinking feeling that John really was going to die and it made those ending missions incredibly tense as I was also thinking that the family could die during any of their missions. I played John as a good guy (I racked up a whopping total of $10 in bounties during the game, and those were accidents) and it was tough at the end when he died.

One thing about that last mission though. When Jack and Abigail were getting on the horse and riding out of the barn, when the horse ran out of the barn, there was a man standing inside the barn ride next to the door. It happened fast and at first I thought that Jack had hopped off the horse and was going to stay with John, but no, Jack was on the horse. I though I had just imagined it but a few seconds later in the cutscene, the view showed the interior of the barn again and the guy was there. Anyone else see this?

Anyway, absolutely amazing game, best atmosphere, plotline and by far the best ending I've seen in a long time.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

EchoBase posted:

One thing about that last mission though. When Jack and Abigail were getting on the horse and riding out of the barn, when the horse ran out of the barn, there was a man standing inside the barn ride next to the door. It happened fast and at first I thought that Jack had hopped off the horse and was going to stay with John, but no, Jack was on the horse. I though I had just imagined it but a few seconds later in the cutscene, the view showed the interior of the barn again and the guy was there. Anyone else see this?

It's Jack - when I did that part I explored the barn a little and Jack was there. I thought it was just a random bug in my game but according to the wiki it's persistent.

I hadn't done much in the way of bounties until all that Mexican poo poo. Then I racked up quite a few killing federales. Lousy no good sidewinding sons of bitches.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
You know what's awesome? The massive blooming head wounds you give people when you shoot them in the head in duels.

BitingTheHermit
Nov 5, 2008

BonoMan posted:

You know what's awesome? The massive blooming head wounds you give people when you shoot them in the head in duels.

It was really satisfying to finish off the Edgar Ross duel, leaving his corpse behind with a bloody pulp for a head.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Quick ending question (massive spoilers, obviously) - I take it Edgar Ross' corpse falls in the river for everyone, right?.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Gazmachine posted:

Quick ending question (massive spoilers, obviously) - I take it Edgar Ross' corpse falls in the river for everyone, right?.

My first time through he fell in and sank, but the second time he was only mostly in the river, and I could loot his corpse. Perhaps it depends on the caliber of your handgun.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Gazmachine posted:

For me he folded up in a kind of downward-facing dog position with his head clipping through the riverbank. While hilarious, it kind of ruined the mood a bit.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gazmachine posted:

My first time, I used the Mauser for the duel, and I was blasting his corpse another seven times as he started drifting away. It was pretty cool, even if totally on accident, felt like Jack was venting all of his anger and frustration there.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

direspoon posted:

For me he folded up in a kind of downward-facing dog position with his head clipping through the riverbank. While hilarious, it kind of ruined the mood a bit.

Ahahaha, this is basically RDR personified in a 10 second nugget; a game with a fantastic, gripping storyline, plagued by a shitload of bugs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So how did John never know that Bonney's ranch was there considering it's within walking distance of his house and on the main road into Armadillo? And why on earth did he arrive on a riverboat in the opening cutscene? I love the size of the game world for gameplay purposes, but it's weird in the story when sometimes they act as if Mexico is so very far away and other times you're hopping back and forth over the border for a mission, and John has somehow never visited any of the closest settlements to his house, even though they're only maybe 5 minutes away by horse.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

So how did John never know that Bonney's ranch was there considering it's within walking distance of his house and on the main road into Armadillo? And why on earth did he arrive on a riverboat in the opening cutscene? I love the size of the game world for gameplay purposes, but it's weird in the story when sometimes they act as if Mexico is so very far away and other times you're hopping back and forth over the border for a mission, and John has somehow never visited any of the closest settlements to his house, even though they're only maybe 5 minutes away by horse.
The game world isn't very big, but in the story it is. A trip that may take 5 minutes in the game would take more like 20 or 30 in the actual game universe. The gameworld is scaled down for technical and gameplay purposes.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm a little unclear on the first part myself. Basically I think that along with the accelerated time frame distances are a little further than they appear to be as you ride around; I mean in Armadillo people talk about Blackwater like it's on the moon when in the game it is less than a day's ride. I just a) didn't worry about it too much because the game is awesome and b) assumed that objects on the map were further apart than they appeared.

On the second part, perhaps John was trying to evade the FBI in parts unknown, gave himself up when he was told they had taken his family hostage, and then was sent back to Blackwater via boat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BerkerkLurk posted:

Yeah, loved the last mission. I had my Mauser equipped and had just really figured out how to duel, so I shot the bastard 15 times. Then you turn around and RED DEAD REDEMPTION.

I really enjoyed the ending. It gave you something to think about.

I made sure to shoot him with the gun he gave John.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

My first time, I used the Mauser for the duel, and I was blasting his corpse another seven times as he started drifting away. It was pretty cool, even if totally on accident, felt like Jack was venting all of his anger and frustration there.

I was a bit annoying that I had to kill Ross again, because I'd already shot him and the other dude as John during the slo mo bit just after exiting the barn. That is them right? They're standing in the back in their bowler hats after all.

I was also hoping that you didn't have to kill him; end the cycle of violence and all that.

Also, it was cool that Satan's comment about the hill above your ranch being a "nice spot" ended up being your grave site. Because of that part I thought that maybe John was already dead, that he was in some kind of purgatory, and to get out you had to be nice. Then the reward would be "living" on your ranch with your family. Of course it didn't end up like that, but I think it would have been cool; it would have explained why you can "die" and come back to life, and why you can slow down time.

Where do you find bulls? I think I need them for "natural selection", it seems killing domesticated ones don't count.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Where do you find bulls? I think I need them for "natural selection", it seems killing domesticated ones don't count.

Bulls aren't one of the animals that count for the Unnatural Selection achievement. The complete list is here, and you can check it against your stats to see what's missing.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Stuff

I know you is my favorite string of stranger missions. I just love That Guy, whoever he is. I love his voice, the way he absolutely evades almost every question that is put to him, and the dark hints he gives. I love it when Marston says, 'I'll let the appropriate authorities judge my morality, friend.' In response he says, 'Yes you will, and they shall.' Also, 'Tell me your drat name or I won't be responsible for my actions.' 'Oh you will. You WILL be responsible. This IS a fine spot. See you around cowboy.'

So awesome.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

I was a bit annoying that I had to kill Ross again, because I'd already shot him and the other dude as John during the slo mo bit just after exiting the barn. That is them right? They're standing in the back in their bowler hats after all.

I checked, and it doesn't look like Ross is in the group you get to shoot at. He seems to only show up after John's been shot up.

Here's a video of the aforementioned final shootout (note Ross' grey suit).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The level of detail in this game is great... was just doing a nightwatch mission during a storm and every time there was a crack of thunder the dog flinched at it.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Good times today in Free Roam, Our possie just finished up the mine area where you have to push the miner cart out of the tunnels. When we came across a 2 horse stagecoach, I jumped into he shotgun possition while the driver jumped on and the other 3 got in back. While we were driving to the next fort we had to go up this hill, half way up the hill i shot the first horse in the head.... droping it like a stone. I jumped off while the guys were laughing about how they cant get up the f-ing hill with one horse. I thought since they cant get up the hill I'll shoot the other :smug: .... just as the horse droped the wagon started rolling backwards down the hill! I for sure thought they would crash but they all jumped out before it did. everyone laughed about it since we were only a 20 second ride to the fort.

God i love this game! :clint:

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009

EchoBase posted:

End game spoilers: One thing about that last mission though. When Jack and Abigail were getting on the horse and riding out of the barn, when the horse ran out of the barn, there was a man standing inside the barn ride next to the door. It happened fast and at first I thought that Jack had hopped off the horse and was going to stay with John, but no, Jack was on the horse. I though I had just imagined it but a few seconds later in the cutscene, the view showed the interior of the barn again and the guy was there. Anyone else see this?

When it happened to me the barn-lurking Jack was covered in blood, like when you rescue him from the bear, and with a really angry look on his face. With every bad thing I do as Jack now it seems less of a glitch and more a grim omen about his future. :black101:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

it would have explained why you can "die" and come back to life, and why you can slow down time.
I'm actually VERY glad that they didn't bother to explain those things. You don't come back to life when you die, in fact you lose everything you've done before your previous save unlike the more persistent open world games like Just Cause 2. Bullet time is just because you're a super awesome crack shot deadeye cowboy like in all the westerns.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Really?

It's called Dead Eye. The story says Marston was left with a dead eye after being left by the Williamson gang. Harlow from the first game also has scars around his eyes similar to John's.

Not saying it makes sense but they do give you a slightly more full-assed explanation than "he's dead or something hurfdurf." Also the idea of certain medical ailments providing supernatural powers is a pretty common theme in stories from the period.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

HAL9100 posted:

Really?

It's called Dead Eye. The story says Marston was left with a dead eye after being left by the Williamson gang. Harlow from the first game also has scars around his eyes similar to John's.

Not saying it makes sense but they do give you a slightly more full-assed explanation than "he's dead or something hurfdurf." Also the idea of certain medical ailments providing supernatural powers is a pretty common theme in stories from the period.

Marston is Orpheus, his farm is Eurydice, by being a dick to Uncle he "looked back" at his old life, thus losing all he gained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Marston is Orpheus, his farm is Eurydice, by being a dick to Uncle he "looked back" at his old life, thus losing all he gained.

I kind of thought Marston was a little Faust and a little Dante, myself. I like your idea though.

• Locked thread