Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Speaking of a/c at low RPMs, is it normal to be able to tell when the ac cycles on a miata by the drastic loss of power that results? or is something wrong with my AC?

Oh yeah, It's pretty noticeable. If I'm on the highway with the A/C on it almost feels like a ran over something and I lose probably 3-4mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Hagetaka posted:

What's the stock weight?

something like 16lbs

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone know where to find some stock miata wheels for sale other than craigslist?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Anyone know where to find some stock miata wheels for sale other than craigslist?

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=334

Hilarious prices, though, compared to the usual craigslist stuff.

Don't think NA wheels are around anywhere.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mezmerized Machine posted:

eBay. Craigslist is honestly your best bet, though.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

We bypassed the fuse and it works for now. I think I might leave it unplugged though since I only use it when without an iPod. A motor like that can't get hot enough to cause fire right?

Can you not de-solder the blown fuse, get a similar fuse from eBay or something and solder it back into place? I suppose the trick would be finding out what amp the fuse blows at. Even though there's like a million diagrams out there for Miatas, I doubt any of them go that in-depth.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Can you not de-solder the blown fuse, get a similar fuse from eBay or something and solder it back into place? I suppose the trick would be finding out what amp the fuse blows at. Even though there's like a million diagrams out there for Miatas, I doubt any of them go that in-depth.

It was a white unmarked fuse that opens at a particular hot temperature and not necessarily a certain voltage.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

FatCow posted:

How streetable is this? Whenever I have an excuse to separate my engine and transmission I want to put in a lightweight flywheel/lightweight clutch. I pretty much only drive the car to driving events but it's not quite a trailer queen yet.

It's very streetable. I used this car as my daily driver up until January and had no problems with it at all. No idle droop, just fast reving (both up and down). If you have everything apart it's definitely worth doing.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

This kind, apparently its called a faucet hole cover.

White
Chrome

They've got them in pretty much every home depot, I got the white since I was painting it, but the chrome might be cool on some cars.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

NA raceland coilovers came back in stock today if anyone cares.

$240, probably right at $300 shipped.

edit: not implying they are good or bad.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 16, 2010

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Posting this email I got today from Mazda in case anybody cares:

Dear MATT,

The first ever MX-5 MiataFest, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the MX-5 Miata, takes place this Saturday, July 17, 2010. And no matter where you live, you can be a part of Mazda history in the making by joining us for the LIVE webcast of this momentous event. -- http://www.justin.tv/mazdausa

The webcast will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. PDT with the Opening Ceremony and will continue throughout the day, covering various parts of the event, including but not limited to the following:

• 10:00 a.m.: Opening Ceremony Introducing Special Guests
• 10:30 a.m.: Moderated Panel Discussion with Special Guests Discussing the MX-5 Miata's Past, Present and Future
• 2:00 p.m.: Car Show, Raffle and Silent Auction Winners Announced
• 3:00 p.m.: Closing Ceremony

And there is so much more, including surprise guests, motorsports vehicle displays and Mazda race teams. We hope you'll join us.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I've joined the Miata club:

Silly wheels
Blown shocks, shot motor mounts, garbage brakes

picked it up for $1500, pretty much the cheapest Miata I could find within 50 miles, happened to be about 10 miles from me. I set myself a budget of $2400, so after the purchase and $150 registration/tax I have about $750 leftover, which should cover everything that I've found wrong so far.

Tomorrow I'll be giving the car a serious once-over, changing oil, plugs, filters, and fresh gas (it's been sitting).

Other than the small issues it has, it runs beautifully, timing belt, water pump, and clutch were done about a year ago. Car has a cheap respray but it's not too bad, the nose doesn't match though, but I can live. I bought the car to have a cheap city car/commuter that gets good gas mileage but isn't boring as sin. From the driving I've done in it so far, I love it.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I'd ditch that chrome style bar, they call them mousetraps for a reason.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Looks like you rescued a Miata from the Clubchodester crowd, nice work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

Looks like you rescued a Miata from the Clubchodester crowd, nice work.

lol coming from you

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Today I heard a rattle in my dashboard(?) and I can't figure out what exactly it is causing it. I think it's coming from the right side of the gauge hood, above the keys. Only rattles above 50mph-ish... difficult to inspect it at that speed... Anyone ever have this before wanna tell me what it was so I don't kill myself trying to find it?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

lol coming from you
u gay

(gonna relay this to you irl)

(and by irl i mean via phone u gay)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Tire leak. Will replace all 4. What are the best summer replacement tires for a 2006?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

Today I heard a rattle in my dashboard(?) and I can't figure out what exactly it is causing it. I think it's coming from the right side of the gauge hood, above the keys. Only rattles above 50mph-ish... difficult to inspect it at that speed... Anyone ever have this before wanna tell me what it was so I don't kill myself trying to find it?

The clippies that hold the gauge hood in place break real easily. At first it's like a rattle, but eventually they'll break completely and the hood will just kind of bounce up and down. It's annoying.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Dominoes posted:

Tire leak. Will replace all 4. What are the best summer replacement tires for a 2006?

What kind of driving do you do?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dunlop Star Specs
Bridgestone RE-11s (warning super $$$)
Hankook R-S3

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Piano posted:

What year? If it's a NA it could be the speedo cable.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Why yes, that is exactly why I wanted RWD.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Dunlop Star Specs
Bridgestone RE-11s (warning super $$$)
Hankook R-S3

Azenis 615-K? I'm thinking of trying the new ones as my last gen 615s are super bald.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I still like my falken ziex tires. They even do decent in the rain.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Suniikaa posted:

I'd ditch that chrome style bar, they call them mousetraps for a reason.

I have never seen any pictures or evidence of anyone that has ever been "mousetrapped" by a style bar, despite someone mentioning this every time they see one.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
My RS-2s are getting on the wear bars (and I think after 3 years, kinda stale), my grip wasn't anything like it used to be. My conundrum is that I have 15x8 wheels and I'd prefer not to run anything besides 225/45/15, however my only choice in that size is the RS3 which is a bit too pricey for me (114/tire). Will I notice a big difference dropping down to 205/50 Star Spec or Ecsta XS?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I still like my falken ziex tires. They even do decent in the rain.

Had them. Didn't like them. Super soft sidewalls didn't hold up well at autocross and grip was nothing to write home about either.

Great DD tire though quiet and comfy. I autocross to much to consider them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Piano posted:

I don't know if you've solved this yet. Do Miatas have any heat shields in the engine bay? A loose heat shield has been the cause every time I've had a weird rattle in a car at high speed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

Azenis 615-K? I'm thinking of trying the new ones as my last gen 615s are super bald.

I'm sure that the Ks are better, but they're ungodly expensive.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't know if you've solved this yet. Do Miatas have any heat shields in the engine bay? A loose heat shield has been the cause every time I've had a weird rattle in a car at high speed.

Over the header.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

I'm sure that the Ks are better, but they're ungodly expensive.

They are? 100$ a set more is ungodly expensive?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$150 is pretty substantial of a jump considering that I could get Star Specs for that money.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Finally did my 100 mile commute in the miata today for the first time, really the first time I've driven the car outside of the bronx to brooklyn when I picked it up. Here are some weird things I noticed.

One, it sounds like a school bus. In fourth and fifth gear especially, while either accelerating or decelerating in gear, it makes a sound like a school bus, that's the best I can describe it. If I hold the gas perfectly steady it goes away, but as soon as i accelerate or take my foot off the gas to decelerate it comes back. Seems to be the most noticeable at lower RPMs.

Two, it randomly vibrates. It'll be driving smoothly, then I'll hit a bump and it will vibrate for a few miles and eventually go away. I can feel it through the steering wheel. Tie rods?

Three, it makes a metallic clanking sound over bumps from the front, would I be right to assume strut mounts? I just ordered racelands for it to replace the blown shock struts and I'm planning on doing new strut mounts anyways, I'm just wondering if I should be looking in a different direction for that sound.

Four, the shifter moves around a LOT. Blown motor/tranny mounts as I suspected? edit: I should mention that a lot is a relative term, my VW shifters never moved at all so this seems like a lot to me. It's definitely noticeable, you can feel it during acceleration and if you rev the engine with the car in neutral you can watch the shifter dance a bit.

Five, pulsing in the brake pedal while braking, seems to increase with amount of force put on pedal, bad rotors?

I'm trying to get a parts list together of stuff I need to order, can anyone recommend a place online to order OEM maintenance type parts like bushings and mounts and tie rods? I come from the VW/BMW world so I'm used to having germanautoparts.com as my go-to for stuff like that, now I'm just lost, alone in a big dark internet.

Sorry if this post is really annoying. I am not good at miatas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The shifter moves a lot just on it's own. I'm going to be doing Mazdaspeed motor mounts soon enough but it is quite ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81a51d5OcA

For cheap OEM parts, there's finishlineperformance.com . If you do 2-3 autocrosses in the car, you'll be eligible for Mazdaspeed and can get a significant discount on all OEM parts.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

omgitstheinternet posted:

One, it sounds like a school bus. In fourth and fifth gear especially, while either accelerating or decelerating in gear, it makes a sound like a school bus, that's the best I can describe it. If I hold the gas perfectly steady it goes away, but as soon as i accelerate or take my foot off the gas to decelerate it comes back. Seems to be the most noticeable at lower RPMs.

The engine loves revs. It doesn't make much, if any, power at low RPM. I know know what you are talking about when you say "school bus" but if you want to accelerate and are at low (less than 3500rpm) shift gears. When your done accelling and want to drive at a constant speed, shift back up.

Two, it randomly vibrates. It'll be driving smoothly, then I'll hit a bump and it will vibrate for a few miles and eventually go away. I can feel it through the steering wheel. Tie rods?

How blown are your shocks? A blown shock could do that. As after the bump a blown shock won't be able to stop the wheel from bouncing around.

Three, it makes a metallic clanking sound over bumps from the front, would I be right to assume strut mounts? I just ordered racelands for it to replace the blown shock struts and I'm planning on doing new strut mounts anyways, I'm just wondering if I should be looking in a different direction for that sound.

Could be tierods, bushings, or mounts.

Four, the shifter moves around a LOT. Blown motor/tranny mounts as I suspected? edit: I should mention that a lot is a relative term, my VW shifters never moved at all so this seems like a lot to me. It's definitely noticeable, you can feel it during acceleration and if you rev the engine with the car in neutral you can watch the shifter dance a bit.

Normal. You drove cable operated gearboxes. The Miata gear level is bolted right to the trans which is bolted to the engine which is all bolted to the diff. If any of the aforementioned pieces move, so will your gear lever. 1:1.

Five, pulsing in the brake pedal while braking, seems to increase with amount of force put on pedal, bad rotors?

Uneven pad deposting on the rotors. Most people will just call the rotors warped. You might get lucky if you try to re-bed the pads. Otherwise just get the rotors turned or get the rotors replaced.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

Uneven pad deposting on the rotors. Most people will just call the rotors warped. You might get lucky if you try to re-bed the pads. Otherwise just get the rotors turned or get the rotors replaced.

I think rotors are/were 20 bucks a pop for Brembo blanks at Napa.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
On the shifter there is a bushing upgrade which will tighten it up if they're shot. Two bushings and oil are involved off the top of my head. There's a link buried in this thread to miata.net with the post (parts and how-to).

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I was looking into it earlier.

I think what you need is
The Large Boot
The Small Boot
This "lever" (maybe? no?)
These
and This thing

$84 for it all from that particular dealer.

I couldn't figure out if I actually need this stuff. Never driven another miata so I have nothing to compare it to. I would love s2000esque shifting but I don't know how close you can get to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Piano posted:

I was looking into it earlier.

I think what you need is
The Large Boot
The Small Boot
This "lever" (maybe? no?)
These
and This thing

$84 for it all from that particular dealer.

I couldn't figure out if I actually need this stuff. Never driven another miata so I have nothing to compare it to. I would love s2000esque shifting but I don't know how close you can get to that.
I just bought the large & small boots from that same dealer last week and replacing them made a pretty big difference in the feel of the shifter. It snaps back into neutral a lot easier, and the car is a LOT quieter (I also replaced the insulation, it's like 5 bucks). It still have a lot of play though. I was down at rspeed the other day trying to fix my AC and they told me I needed to replace my bushings or the boot was going to rip. Take that for what you will.