Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
My wife has taken a liking to riding in to work with me, since it drops her commute time by around a half hour, and avoids public transit with filthy plague-ridden humans. I'm hoping to use this development to get her to take the MSF. (She's scared to death of the idea of actually driving a bike.) The other idea is as an excuse to get a mid-90's goldwing or something like it.

Those schemes seem unlikely at the moment though. If this becomes a daily thing, should I do anything to help avoid additional wear? I'm assuming I'll go through rear tires twice as fast. Maybe lighten the preload on the shock? I commute on the Gladius, which is currently all stock, except for some steel brake lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

chryst posted:

My wife has taken a liking to riding in to work with me, since it drops her commute time by around a half hour, and avoids public transit with filthy plague-ridden humans. I'm hoping to use this development to get her to take the MSF. (She's scared to death of the idea of actually driving a bike.) The other idea is as an excuse to get a mid-90's goldwing or something like it.

Those schemes seem unlikely at the moment though. If this becomes a daily thing, should I do anything to help avoid additional wear? I'm assuming I'll go through rear tires twice as fast. Maybe lighten the preload on the shock? I commute on the Gladius, which is currently all stock, except for some steel brake lines.

Additional wear is no big deal unles your wife is....well, I shan't go there. Get her some decent, practical gear, set the suspension for pillion according to the manual and see how the wear pans out. I know a guy who had his girlfriend on the bike to work every morning, he said it was really fun as they both felt like teenagers on a moped again. She could store her gear at the workplace and even though she regularly wore a skirt to the office, she could just pull it up to her waist inside the textile pants.

Safe, practical, quick and somewhat romantic common commute. Really loving cool.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Ola posted:

Additional wear is no big deal unles your wife is....well, I shan't go there. Get her some decent, practical gear, set the suspension for pillion according to the manual and see how the wear pans out. I know a guy who had his girlfriend on the bike to work every morning, he said it was really fun as they both felt like teenagers on a moped again. She could store her gear at the workplace and even though she regularly wore a skirt to the office, she could just pull it up to her waist inside the textile pants.

Safe, practical, quick and somewhat romantic common commute. Really loving cool.
She's like 135lb, which just seems like a lot of weight to add to a 400lb bike, I guess. The manual is pretty light on passenger setup. The tire sticker even specifies the same pressure for 2-up. Guess I'm good to go. :)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

chryst posted:

She's like 135lb, which just seems like a lot of weight to add to a 400lb bike, I guess. The manual is pretty light on passenger setup. The tire sticker even specifies the same pressure for 2-up. Guess I'm good to go. :)

Up the rear (and front if possible) suspension preload a bit if you're carrying a passenger daily

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My 07 690 SM KTM has about 8,500 miles. I got some seafoam lying around. Should I run it through the gas tank?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
If the bike's charging system does not charge, how far can you safely ride on just the battery? I'll might have to wait a week or two for a new stator and/or rectifier and the weather is just too good to keep the bike in the garage.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

makka-setan posted:

If the bike's charging system does not charge, how far can you safely ride on just the battery? I'll might have to wait a week or two for a new stator and/or rectifier and the weather is just too good to keep the bike in the garage.
You can ride as far as you are willing to push the bike home. ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

I've ridden about 12 miles from noticing the charging system had failed to the bike stopped. I noticed it by the gear indicator lights going very dim so it probably had been failed for a few miles already and the last mile was practically on two cylinders. And now that I remember, it wasn't the charging but the battery itself that had failed that time. I think that failure mode has a shorter range than a charging system one.

If you have a spare battery, get both fully charged. Once the first one runs out, the second one should be just enough to get you home. :haw:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
On the other hand once you got the bike running you dont need the battery anymore, at least on mine.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

niethan posted:

On the other hand once you got the bike running you dont need the battery anymore, at least on mine.

That's because your charging system works...

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
When in doubt, experiment!

I made it all 10 miles to a friends house without incident today. The voltage hadn't even dropped any measurable amount. Just to be safe I charged it for an hour before returning home and that too went fine.

I first noticed the charging problem on Friday after about 70 miles since the last battery check. The stater motor would turn but it sounded real weak. It could be that the charging system gave out at the very end of those 70 miles, but more likely it went out before that. I had some electrical problems on Wednesday when the starter motor refused to turn over. That's fine now but instead there is no charge, or at least very little. I'm guessing the regulator and/or stator gave out and that caused the starter system to act up.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

makka-setan posted:

the first time, maybe 10 miles, charge it again overnight maybe about the same then next few times its shorter and shorter as your battery self destructs,
if you ride fast its shorter, if you indicate it gets shorter, if you brake it gets shorter, if its cold its shorter, if you want to use your headlight its halved.

i know this because i went through about 5 R/Rs and one battery last year till i finally changed out my loom to get rid of the mystery intermittent short.

edit: i must point out that its an SV which makes its starter motor work awfully hard and it was winter so the cold really didnt help the battery

also i didnt buy 5 R/Rs i just cannibalised all the laid up bikes that i and my friends own. and if you are replacing your R/R get one of these http://www.roadstercycle.com/Vmax%20charging%20system%20repair.htm

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 11, 2010

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

I installed a new Brembo brake lever on my '74 Honda CB750 but I'm not sure what the correct electrical connector for it would look like. I had the wires just kinda wrapped around it and a ton of electrical tape holding it together, but that doesn't seem too reliable. Maybe it's just a couple ordinary blade type connectors.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

BatDan posted:

I installed a new Brembo brake lever on my '74 Honda CB750 but I'm not sure what the correct electrical connector for it would look like. I had the wires just kinda wrapped around it and a ton of electrical tape holding it together, but that doesn't seem too reliable. Maybe it's just a couple ordinary blade type connectors.

You must not have a stock brake setup. The 74 had the same brake pressure sensor as my 77 which is connected to the forks: (Item 1 connecting to Item 6)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m9235sch397873

vulgarghost
Oct 18, 2002

mr youse neednt be so spry
I recently acquired an '81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650 and I need to (and would like to) replace both mufflers, they have pretty much both rusted out. The rest of the exhaust system and baffles are absolutely fine, so I'd just like to slap 2 cheap aftermarket universal mufflers on if at all possible. Any recommendations for brands or other manufacturer's mufflers that work on these bikes would be greatly appreciated.

As far as taking off the old ones, the Haynes manual is a little unclear as to whether or not the mufflers actually come off on this model by pulling, looks like they could but I do have an angle grinder if I need to cut them off where the mufflers attach to the regular diameter pipe. I'll eventually just pull the exhaust off and see, but if anyone has any caveats or tips I'd definitely buy you a beer next time you're in central Massachusetts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've been riding for 3 months, and I finally got so busy that I went 5 days without riding. When I came back, my SV650 has nothing happen when I put the key to on. This was a bad surprise as I was planning to commute on it today, and left me late to work.

Anyway, if a battery has been discharged so far that I can't get a single light on the thing on, is it done for? I have a trickle charger and a 2nd battery that I'm going to swap in tonight, but is this completely dead battery gone for good?

If I'm only riding shorter distances, should I try to use the trickle charger often?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

I've been riding for 3 months, and I finally got so busy that I went 5 days without riding. When I came back, my SV650 has nothing happen when I put the key to on. This was a bad surprise as I was planning to commute on it today, and left me late to work.

Anyway, if a battery has been discharged so far that I can't get a single light on the thing on, is it done for? I have a trickle charger and a 2nd battery that I'm going to swap in tonight, but is this completely dead battery gone for good?

If I'm only riding shorter distances, should I try to use the trickle charger often?

replied to your post in the other thread, but that sounds like you left it in park, or that your battery is failing. charge it up and see how it goes.
read the pdfs i linked to in the other thread and do the checks, its pretty fast to do them on an sv.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

echomadman posted:

but that sounds like you left it in park,

I'm really hoping its this, but I had been riding it short distances often before and I'm wondering if the charger is working. I'm hoping I get it charged up and then it works fine, meaning I left it with parking lights on like an idiot.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, really sounds like you got burned by the 'Drain my loving battery please!' setting 1 notch after the steering lock.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, really sounds like you got burned by the 'Drain my loving battery please!' setting 1 notch after the steering lock.

If so, then I'm just an idiot and not an idiot with a broken electrical system.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Weinertron posted:

It's an easy mistake to make. :) If you have a voltmeter, you can check the voltage at the battery with the bike running (after you get it charged, of course). If the charging system is working, you should see 13-14v when you rev the bike up around 3,000-4,000 RPM or so.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 14, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Weinertron posted:

Check your battery terminals too, if the little screws got loose somehow it wont have a solid connection and wont power anything, same things happened to me a few times.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

vulgarghost posted:

I recently acquired an '81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650 and I need to (and would like to) replace both mufflers, they have pretty much both rusted out.

Try to find some Harley Sportster take-offs. Perfectly good mufflers, but too quiet for the rugged individualists.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gnomad posted:

Try to find some Harley Sportster take-offs. Perfectly good mufflers, but too quiet for the rugged individualists.

Seconded. Usually yanked from the bike within the first 100 miles, so they're pristine and plentiful. There was just a set here locally for $30, so that gives you an idea of market val. Amazes me how many UJMs have them--you'd think they'd go out of their way to make them proprietary, like everything else.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Gnomad posted:

Do these just bolt on?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
My 80' Honda CB750F Super Sport has crooked forks and I don't know how to fix it.

Riding in a straight line, the handlebars, dash board, and headlight point slightly to the left. To ride with the handlebars straight, I'm making a right turn that probably has a 100 foot diameter.

The triple tree seems straight, it almost seems like the fork tubes are twisted inside the tree, but I think if that was the case the axle would be binding so much the wheel couldn't turn.

I can post pictures if you want, I just ride a lot less because it's uncomfortable holding the handlebars 5 or so degrees off of straight, and my right hand an inch or two up and forward of my left.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you loosen up all of the bolts in the triple tree and try and straighten things out? Sometimes they'll get minorly tweaked in an accident and loosening up all the bolts will sort it out. Once you've done the top, loosen the pinch bolts in the front axle and pump the front end up and down a few times and then tighten them back up.

Toss some support under the bike when you loosen up the triples too, so the front end doesn't slide down the forks. :)

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

ari.gato posted:

Do these just bolt on?

You may have to be a bit creative, your local auto parts store will have some exhaust pipe adapters for the pipe end, and then you have to figure out a way to attach it to the bike but it shouldn't be that hard. I put a set on a CM400 in an afternoon and they look really good, sound nice too, gives it a deeper tone than the stock "piff-piff" mufflers.

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

Crayvex posted:

You must not have a stock brake setup. The 74 had the same brake pressure sensor as my 77 which is connected to the forks: (Item 1 connecting to Item 6)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m9235sch397873

No, I installed an modern Brembo master cylinder with a new stainless line connecting to the original front brake caliper. The new master cylinder has an integral brake light switch making the whole set up much simpler. The problem is I don't know what sort of connector I need to use for the Brembo master cylinder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
2 blade connectors will probably work fine. All the switch does is close a circuit so that the brake light lights up.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

2 blade connectors will probably work fine. All the switch does is close a circuit so that the brake light lights up.

Says the guy with no brake lights.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

Says the guy with no brake lights.

I have brake lights if I manually join the connectors with my right hand as I brake.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I have brake lights if I manually join the connectors with my right hand as I brake.

When the rear tire leaves the pavement: Z3n is braking.

Ask me how I know!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

So that's what the other two fingers are for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

When the rear tire leaves the pavement: Z3n is braking.

Ask me how I know!

I believe that braking is a binary situation.

Jabs posted:

So that's what the other two fingers are for?

Yup.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well, I'm an idiot with a broken electrical system. I just charged up my second battery, swapped it in, and nothing happens when I turn the ignition to on. I went ahead and checked all the fuses and they're good. What are the odds that the key cylinder would fail on an SV650? How easy are these things to hotwire if I want to hotwire it and ride it to the dealer to pay someone to fix it? :(

Anyway, I have a known good battery and nothing happens with key to ON. What's happening?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Weinertron posted:

Well, I'm an idiot with a broken electrical system. I just charged up my second battery, swapped it in, and nothing happens when I turn the ignition to on. I went ahead and checked all the fuses and they're good. What are the odds that the key cylinder would fail on an SV650? How easy are these things to hotwire if I want to hotwire it and ride it to the dealer to pay someone to fix it? :(

Anyway, I have a known good battery and nothing happens with key to ON. What's happening?

No lights or indicators at all? It's not just the kill switch in the "off" position, right? (Always good to double-check!)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Any of you duders know someone who has converted a 250 to GP shift by chance? The stock shift rod isn't long enough to just flip the linkage around. I'm probably going to call woodcraft next week and try to order a longer rod, unless there's another option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Did you make sure the terminals are hooked up correctly and the wiring harness ground is connected correctly? There's a blade connector that attaches to a lead off the negative terminal of the battery and provides the ground for the wring harness.

Following that, it's time to whip out a multimeter and a wiring harness and see where the power is stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

did you check the main fuse? its not in the block under the seat, its further down behind the black trim panel under s transparent green plastic cover (on the curveys) i think its under the riders seat on the pointys