Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ok, so I'm out riding to wherever, and some dude starts shooting at me. So I shoot him. Then I take an honor hit. What the heck? Why am I not allowed to defend myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Achmed Jones posted:

Ok, so I'm out riding to wherever, and some dude starts shooting at me. So I shoot him. Then I take an honor hit. What the heck? Why am I not allowed to defend myself?

Are you positive he wasn't shooting some birds or coyotes or whatever?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Aiming at an 'honor loss target' can cause them to go hostile.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HAL9100 posted:

Aiming at an 'honor loss target' can cause them to go hostile.

Shooting wildly in the air has the same effect. If you provoke someone who's not a gang member into shooting at you, you still can't kill them without losing honor. Unless it's an "accident", of course.

The only problem is that in a town it's pretty much impossible to pick out who's a gang member and who's a civilian unless you're right up in their face. Sometimes not even then, since there are so many gangs in the game and they all pretty much look alike and they all have drab and muddy clothes on.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, the Bollard gang all wear top hats. That makes em kinda easy to spot.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

Shooting wildly in the air has the same effect. If you provoke someone who's not a gang member into shooting at you, you still can't kill them without losing honor. Unless it's an "accident", of course.

The only problem is that in a town it's pretty much impossible to pick out who's a gang member and who's a civilian unless you're right up in their face. Sometimes not even then, since there are so many gangs in the game and they all pretty much look alike and they all have drab and muddy clothes on.

This is the only reason my stats have any bounties. Accidentally shooting the sheriffs either chasing the shooting horse gangs, chasing an escapee on foot or executing the prisoner. I hate that poo poo.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
New Social Club Challenge unlocks the "Beastmaster" cheat (animals become allies?)

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddea...astmaster_cheat

You have to go shoot poo poo from a train for it...off to catch one now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, been meaning to ask this.

Is it possible (or has it happened to anyone) to skip levels of the sharpshooting challenges?

I could have sworn I went from level 5 or 6 sharpshooter to level 9 when I shot a shitload (i.e. an entire mauser clip) of birds out of the air using deadeye.

It was odd, but I never really thought much about it. Been meaning to ask if it happened to anyone else, but just remembered.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Space Hamlet posted:

Are you positive he wasn't shooting some birds or coyotes or whatever?

That's probably what was going on, thanks!

Holy cow, I was riding and some cops came up chasing a robber. I look at the robber and the cops, and shoot the robber. But looking at the cops made them start shooting me, too.

Sorry guys, my bad for looking around when bullet started flying around me.

Is there any way to make stuff like this not behave retardedly? It's getting annoying trying to not break the law. So far I've been arrested for wandering through a door while trying to figure out how to make a deposit at the bank (apparently that was trespassing, even though the game didn't let you know in any way), and for looking at a cop. Am I just doing something wrong?

Wild Bill Hiccup
Mar 27, 2010
What do you mean by "looking at"? Were you aiming your gun at them? I've gotten into poo poo for pulling weapons out at the wrong time, and it will definitely happen if you aim at them. But if it's holstered they shouldn't do that...

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

The "Strike it Rich!" Challenge still hasn't been unlocked, right? According to their site it's "coming in late May" but I still haven't been able to start it in-game.

Also, will some of the Social Challenges eventually expire and you won't be able to complete them anymore? Because if so I am definitely making those the first thing I do the next time I play.

Beastmaster looks like the kind of Cheat that is going to be awesome for griefing the NPCs. The "hey mister, come sit a spell" campsite random encounter is going to be a hell of a lot of fun when I run off and grab a couple of my cougar "friends" and come back to tell juicy stories to my new cowboy acquaintances. Gee. I sure hope my friends can get along...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

What do you mean by "looking at"? Were you aiming your gun at them? I've gotten into poo poo for pulling weapons out at the wrong time, and it will definitely happen if you aim at them. But if it's holstered they shouldn't do that...

Well yeah, my gun was out, people were shooting.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

Well yeah, my gun was out, people were shooting.

Well then, yeah. You pointed a firearm at a cop. Would this go any better in the real world?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finally got my 360 working again, and powered through the missions - what a great way to wrap up the whole game. Then I ground (using walkthroughs) the 100%, wrapped it up in just under 35 total game hours. Great length for a game, and now it's time to dick around in multiplayer throwing knives at everyone :)

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
The Beastmaster cheat is fun; first thing I did is volunteer to help a guy save his brother from being hanged. Focus on shooting the rope while my boar buddies gore the poo poo out of the gang? Don't mind if I do!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Grimmeh posted:

The Beastmaster cheat is fun; first thing I did is volunteer to help a guy save his brother from being hanged. Focus on shooting the rope while my boar buddies gore the poo poo out of the gang? Don't mind if I do!

This makes me want to pull some Mowgli poo poo and just storm the streets of Armadillo with an army of wolves at my heels, then laugh maniacally as everyone in town is ripped apart.

Also reliving Link to the Past with an army of chickens to attack gang members.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
In advance, yes, I'm crazy behind the majority of goons:

What difference does it make to capture Escuella alive? I was so tired of chasing people by that point I just took out the sniper rifle and popped him off his horse as he rode into the distance.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Shockeh posted:

In advance, yes, I'm crazy behind the majority of goons:

What difference does it make to capture Escuella alive? I was so tired of chasing people by that point I just took out the sniper rifle and popped him off his horse as he rode into the distance.

You throw him in the jail cell at the fort and he yells at you. Then you never see him again.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When i went to do the Jeb's lost love stranger challenge the horse wasn't there. After the cutscene the woman magically appeared on the horse but she wouldn't follow me. And the journal entry didn't update. Am i hosed for 100%?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

HAL9100 posted:

Well then, yeah. You pointed a firearm at a cop. Would this go any better in the real world?

The thing I really like is that once your honour and fame get high enough people will try to reason with you a little before they start shooting.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Achmed Jones posted:

Holy cow, I was riding and some cops came up chasing a robber. I look at the robber and the cops, and shoot the robber. But looking at the cops made them start shooting me, too.

Is there any way to make stuff like this not behave retardedly? It's getting annoying trying to not break the law. So far I've been arrested for wandering through a door while trying to figure out how to make a deposit at the bank (apparently that was trespassing, even though the game didn't let you know in any way), and for looking at a cop. Am I just doing something wrong?

Seriously? I've probably been in 3 police chases in the entire game that werent just me going HURR BANG BANG and shooting civilians. Unless you actively aim your gun in peoples faces no one gives a poo poo. Did you commit a crime and someone took ages in reporting it perhaps?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Achmed Jones posted:

Try pointing a gun at an officer involved in chasing a criminal in real life and report back the results. Oh, and start wondering around your nearest bank, going into what ever door strikes your fancy and see how that works out. I don't think the game is the one behaving in a retarded fashion.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
I've been thinking more about the ending (which seriously is amazing for a game, most endings are so bland I don't think about games at all once I'm done) now that I've finished the last stranger mission and killed Ross and his extended family (his wife was dropped off on a set of train tracks and his brother was knifed after 'death by wolves' didn't work out for me; my Jack's a bit hosed in the head).

I think Rockstar missed the boat on an opportunity to have a solid DLC for Jack. I think a DLC with a true branching structure for a good or bad Jack depending on whether the player decided that Jack became like the old John and went for revenge or if he learned from John and tried to move on with a normal life. I see it like near the beginning, you decide Jack's path and if you choose the good normal life, you'd open up a bunch of ranching money making mini-games with ranch customization, etc and missions that are in line with the tone of the ending missions for John (hunting with family, dealing with some rustlers, etc). On the other path, Jack could abandon the ranch and open up mission sets about getting revenge on the agents, army, etc.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I beat the game yesterday, amazing loving ending! Right now I'm at 96%. I check the rockstar social club thing and it looks like I'm missing the second stranger mission and the last house. Any help on what and where these are?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I could have sworn I went from level 5 or 6 sharpshooter to level 9 when I shot a shitload (i.e. an entire mauser clip) of birds out of the air using deadeye.

I'm pretty sure that some levels of Sharpshooter (and probably Level 8 of Master Hunter, just having a Bear Pelt in my inventory gave me credit for half as soon as I got it) remember what you've done previously. Shot off some hats? Three bears with one shot each? You can skip those levels as soon as you get there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what gun do you use to kill a bear in one shot?

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Seems a bunch of the developers who worked on RDR are getting canned. I can understand that they are probably bloated with staff but it still doesn't seem right.

http://www.scorephoria.com/?p=5952

quote:

Red Dead Redemption not only tore up sales charts for May but also received critical praise matched by few. Why then is the studio responsible for the success seeing layoffs and not pay raises?

Sources close to the San Diego development team have said a “significant” amount of the studio was laid off on Wednesday. Upwards near 40 employees were said to have been let go. You may remember the complaints of unfair working conditions made by the San Diego studio during Red Dead Redemption’s development. When asked for comment, Rockstar had this to say to Kotaku:

“As is typical with game development, our team sizes have always fluctuated over the course of the development cycle. As Rockstar San Diego transitions from the launch of Red Dead Redemption onto future projects, we are realigning our resources in order to continue to develop games as effectively as possible. We are ensuring that all employees who are affected by these changes are being treated with care. While we have no announcements to make regarding a sequel to Red Dead Redemption, the team here are hard at work on the development of downloadable content for the game.”

It seems the alleged layoffs are no longer alleged. While development layoffs are frequent, it’s strange to see such a successful development team stripped down. Rockstar San Diego also develops the Midnight Club series.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The best reward for amazingly high quality work is to get immediately poo poo-canned. This is the current corporate standard.

They ought to spread some bait around the executive bathroom.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Earwicker posted:

Buffalo Rifle to the eye.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kali11324 posted:

I beat the game yesterday, amazing loving ending! Right now I'm at 96%. I check the rockstar social club thing and it looks like I'm missing the second stranger mission and the last house. Any help on what and where these are?

Dunno what stranger mission you are missing, but the bed is Jack's bed, so make sure to save a game in your old house. The save point is actually his bed, and not his parents :3:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Almost any rifle will do the job as long as you get him right between his beady evil little eyes.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

shadok posted:

Almost any rifle will do the job as long as you get him right between his beady evil little eyes.

Yeah, but giving Winnie the Pooh a migraine with a Dead-Eye Buffalo Rifle shot to the mid-brow is the most :clint: thing to do.

Though I have, for epic metal hilarity, managed to throwing knife kill a bear with a blade to the eyeball before. I didn't stop laughing in time to notice the other two bears which didn't find it funny at all.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, this is probably the least manly question ever, but does anyone else ever have trouble actually surrendering to the law? I got a 5$ bounty for knocking some guy the gently caress out in Blackwater, and stood perfectly still with my weapons holstered as the popup said to do, but all that happened was some cop ran up and blasted me with a semi-auto shotgun. Does surrendering even work? :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you can surrender in Blackwater honestly.

I did in Armadillo twice (once by accident, once by just not giving a gently caress) but I still got shot a few times.

I think they start blasting away with the big guns, and smoke your rear end right then and there. I just start shooting and hop on my horse, slap leather and hit the road in high places till I get somewhere like Armadillo to pay the bounty off.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

That Awful Nick posted:

Yeah, but giving Winnie the Pooh a migraine with a Dead-Eye Buffalo Rifle shot to the mid-brow is the most :clint: thing to do.

I like your avatar. I've been trying to change mine to this for months but SA has stopped accepting my credit card for some reason...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Because the cops will start shooting immediately, surrendering works best if you flee to a sheltered area, like an alley or inside a building, then stand still with your weapons holstered. While the police are moving to good firing positions, Marsten should start raising his hands, which usually causes the police to stop shooting as long as you don't move. If you just stand still immediately after committing a crime you'll just get shot all to gently caress by Constable Bloodlust and his murderin' irons from five feet away.

edit: I have been shot to death for smashing a guy's window. I went up against the wall and broke a shopkeeper's window with my elbow (you can do this by trying to aim through a window while covering, even if you have the fist selected), and the Sheriff standing directly beside me decided that shooting me in the head repeatedly at point-blank was a fine way to spend the afternoon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Angry Diplomat posted:

Because the cops will start shooting immediately, surrendering works best if you flee to a sheltered area, like an alley or inside a building, then stand still with your weapons holstered. While the police are moving to good firing positions, Marsten should start raising his hands, which usually causes the police to stop shooting as long as you don't move. If you just stand still immediately after committing a crime you'll just get shot all to gently caress by Constable Bloodlust and his murderin' irons from five feet away.

edit: I have been shot to death for smashing a guy's window. I went up against the wall and broke a shopkeeper's window with my elbow (you can do this by trying to aim through a window while covering, even if you have the fist selected), and the Sheriff standing directly beside me decided that shooting me in the head repeatedly at point-blank was a fine way to spend the afternoon.

It's fun to do this, and then as they run up you bust out the dead eye and shoot every last one of those fuckers in the head before jumping on your horse and riding off like whoa.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is it possible (or has it happened to anyone) to skip levels of the sharpshooting challenges?

Did you happen to be doing the moving train one when this happened? There are two challenges in a row: One is to kill X birds from a moving train, and the next is to kill X animals in one dead-eye usage. You probably did both at the same time.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

shadok posted:

I like your avatar. I've been trying to change mine to this for months but SA has stopped accepting my credit card for some reason...

Thanks! You're going to get it with "Vulcans never bluff. :colbert:" underneath it, I hope, right?

Finally got Unnatural Selection for killing one of every species of animal or whatever it was for. Despite the description, it sure seems like it leaves out a lot of animals. I found that a fair majority of the animals I had slaughtered in game didn't even count toward the achievement. Though I also learned, in the process, that I have killed more than 400 deer and have played for over 200 hours despite only being about 76% of the way through the game. I guess I sure do love my cowboy game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

shadok posted:

Yeah, this, and I'm pretty sure Shotguns don't count--I tried, and I kept not getting credit, I guess because each pellet counts at a shot or something.

Personally, I'm a fan of Dead Eye + Sniper Rifle, just to make sure you hit just the right spot.

• Locked thread