Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dexplosivo posted:

It is literally the easiest minigame.
I agree with you, but Liar's Dice is still the easiest mini-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree with you, but Liar's Dice is still the easiest mini-game.

Breaking horses is the easiest minigame.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hogarth Hughes posted:

I might just try that. I was about ready to throw the controller through the TV though. Killing everyone in Torquemada was not really that satisfying.

Try not looking at the screen while doing it, that really screwed me up.

Then break up the pattern like this:

BY XBY BY XBY

With the A's tossed in there of course (or whatever moon symbols the PS3 uses).

I find muttering "bee why? ex-bee, why?" to myself makes it easier too.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Are people still playing the multiplayer of this? It would be fun to find some goons doing this if anyone still is.

Nope, nobody. In fact, I burned multiplayer. Nobody is playing it ever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

dexplosivo posted:

It is literally the easiest minigame. The pattern never changes. :psyduck:

ABAYAXABAY on the xbox. Repeat ad nauseum until you win. You don't even have to look at the controller.

Yeah, but there's remembering the pattern and remembering the pattern well enough so you don't hesitate in the middle of the button mashing. On the last guy, it usually comes down to me being one row away from winning, then I gently caress up on the last button or so. After that I'm so pissed off that I can't concentrate, and I just start wildly stabbing Marston's hand because I either forget the pattern or my hands are too shaky to keep up any rhythm.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Are you by any chance hitting skip when the computer has their turn? Because that decreases the overall time you have to complete it yourself. I know I hosed myself a few times before I realized that I need to watch the whole animation to get the most time.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So, in one of those sidemissions I had to go and pick up something and deliver it to a foreman and then he pays me $1000 which I have to give to some other old English dude. However, turns out I'm delivering opium and John doesn't seem happy about that. And I have the choice to give back the cash or keep it. Why would I give it back?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
You would give it back because you fail the mission if you don't. It's pretty stupid but at least you can recover the money from his corpse afterwards.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Ah great, I'll check it out later. Thanks man.

Be prepared. It has that name for a reason.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
So I've only just realised that the action button makes you insult people when you have low honour. I've spent a good hour in Armadillo insulting people then beating them up, especially if they give me any backchat.

Best thing is, there's different stuff for the whores as well as "normal" characters and sheriffs. Everyone gives different answers to your insults, too. It's awesome. Most fun ever.

My favourite moment so far was when Marston was insulting a whore, calling her old. I then pushed her down some stairs and chased after her, kicking her on the floor. Then I hit the action button again and Marston goes "are you as aroused as I am right now?"

Then I moved on to a guy drinking from the water trough and kicked him in the rear end, causing his head to go into the trough.

I love this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Welp I have to bomb my honour now, thanks.

Contra Duck posted:

You would give it back because you fail the mission if you don't. It's pretty stupid but at least you can recover the money from his corpse afterwards.

I'm 100% sure that when I got to that part, Marsten and the guy had a little conversation and the game gave me a text prompt saying, "give him the $1000, or kill him and keep it for yourself."

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Also, ground tackling and beating the racism out of Herbert Mooooooooooon's face is extremely addictive.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Just finished it today, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I love that I was never forced to do missions, so I could spend ages exploring.

I'm going for 100% now but I'm struggling to get the Half bred Hungarian horse to spawn for the stranger mission. I know the locations but there are hardly any horses at all. I stole a wagon that one was pulling, crashed it down a cliff so I could ride the horse, but it didn't count. :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Everyone who says the Buffalo Rifle is the best weapon for hunting has never tried dynamite.

Hardboiled Kid
Jul 27, 2001

This is my club avatar!

the truth posted:

Everyone who says the Buffalo Rifle is the best weapon for hunting has never tried dynamite.

Hunting bears with dynamite is awesome.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

the truth posted:

The knife is the best weapon for hunting. Including for hunting bears.

There is nothing more awesome than a five-minute, skin-of-your-teeth close combat against a grizzly, ending when it tries to flee, slips at the edge of a cliff, and falls to its death with a satisfying thump.

Also, I tried lassoing a cougar. It sort of worked, but ended very badly for me.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like using the Mauser for hunting small animals. Nothing more satisfying that searching for 2 hours for a raccoon and using dead eye to unload 15 bullets into it when you finally find one.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I used a rifle on a raccoon and it exploded :(

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm 100% sure that when I got to that part, Marsten and the guy had a little conversation and the game gave me a text prompt saying, "give him the $1000, or kill him and keep it for yourself."

Maybe that's what I did wrong then. I just walked away when I the 'press button to give money' prompt came up and then it told me the mission was failed. Probably should have read the prompt a bit closer.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Contra Duck posted:

Maybe that's what I did wrong then. I just walked away when I the 'press button to give money' prompt came up and then it told me the mission was failed. Probably should have read the prompt a bit closer.
I had no idea you had a choice, I gave the money back because that's what I thought he would do; when the weasely fucker insulted me I shot him and took my money back. I figured I'd shut down some side-missions running opium by doing this, but I guess not.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

Greyish Orange posted:

Just finished it today, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I love that I was never forced to do missions, so I could spend ages exploring.

I just finished the main mission stuff yesterday, myself. I spent most of the time doing pretty much whatever I felt like, mostly looking for bandits to shoot.

It's kind of funny, though, since now all I need for 100% completion is a little less than half of the random wanted poster things.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Greyish Orange posted:

I'm going for 100% now but I'm struggling to get the Half bred Hungarian horse to spawn for the stranger mission. I know the locations but there are hardly any horses at all. I stole a wagon that one was pulling, crashed it down a cliff so I could ride the horse, but it didn't count. :(

That wasn't a Hungarian Half-Bred. NPC's never ride the 3-star horses, if you see someone riding a white or black horse, it's just the 2-star look-a-like versions they've got. Just keep riding around hoping a horse pack(?) spawns with what you're looking for in it.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
In free roam a friend and I had some fun chasing a hooker from Armadillo out into the middle of nowhere. We then proceeded to push her down hills, repeatedly kick and punch her and find high things to throw her off of. It ended in an accidental death with a pistol whip.

I feel like a terrible person.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Does anybody know of a good location and/or time of day for the Social Club marksman challenge? I really want that cheat, but I don't even see how the challenge is possible beyond just being really lucky and coming across a bunch of things to shoot. That seems to be all it comes down to, finding a time of day and stretch of track that will give you the most targets.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

In free roam a friend and I had some fun chasing a hooker from Armadillo out into the middle of nowhere. We then proceeded to push her down hills, repeatedly kick and punch her and find high things to throw her off of. It ended in an accidental death with a pistol whip.

I feel like a terrible person.

I can picture both of you standing over her body curious as to why she isn't getting up. That's some Of Mice and Men poo poo right there.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Tewratomeh posted:

Does anybody know of a good location and/or time of day for the Social Club marksman challenge? I really want that cheat, but I don't even see how the challenge is possible beyond just being really lucky and coming across a bunch of things to shoot. That seems to be all it comes down to, finding a time of day and stretch of track that will give you the most targets.

I did it in the middle of the day between Benedict Point and Armadillo. There were plenty of birds and wild horses to rack up the 20 kills while I got the 5 kills during deadeye when I passed a pack of wolves and a rabbit.

Once you've done everything you can just jump off the train or wait until it stops at the next station. Although if you haven't completed at least two of the requirements by the next station you'll have to start over once it gets moving again.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 18, 2010

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Greyish Orange posted:

I stole a wagon that one was pulling, crashed it down a cliff so I could ride the horse, but it didn't count. :(

Gotta hitch it to save it as "your" horse first.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Philip J Fry posted:

I did it in the middle of the day between Benedict Point and Armadillo. There were plenty of birds and wild horses to rack up the 20 kills while I got the 5 kills during deadeye when I passed a pack of wolves and a rabbit.

Another way to get the 5 Dead-Eye kills is with the train's passengers. If you stand at the back of the passenger car you can tag them and the driver (keep in mind, though, that this will stop the train and end the challenge).

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, there were only four people on the train and I thought it'd be more fun to do from the roof anyway (a lot of the horses I shot had riders on them as well).

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I just did a Bounty mission and stayed in aim mode while I rode around the same 4 people and just waited for my dead eye to refill before disarming the guys again.

Was really easy.

BitingTheHermit
Nov 5, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6269176.html

This bodes well for making RDR a new franchise. Thank god. Between the obvious GTA games, an upcoming Bully sequel, and new RDR games coming out at ~2 year intervals, Rockstar can look forward to a lot of my money.

Red Dead is already a franchise. Red Dead Revolver was released in 2004.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

porktree posted:

I had no idea you had a choice, I gave the money back because that's what I thought he would do; when the weasely fucker insulted me I shot him and took my money back. I figured I'd shut down some side-missions running opium by doing this, but I guess not.

See, when I did this mission, I thought the honourable thing to do would be to kill the crooked opium dealer, thus making the west that tiny little bit less corrupt. I got minus honour for doing that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I definitely gunned him down and didn't lose honour for it. I don't think I even ended up with a bounty on my head. Did you wait until the game prompted you to decide?

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
I wore a bandana and shot him. No honor lost.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's a strange one.

I'm in the middle of playing and I decide to get the "Dastardly" achievement. I kidnap one woman, hogtie her, drop her on the train tracks...and she disappears completely. I try it again, this one gets hit by the train...and no achievement. I try a third time, now my bounty's up to $80 and it finally works. However, I cannot pay my bounty anywhere I'm supposed to, as there's no one in the offices. I can't visit any stores or save my game at any of my hideouts. I'd just turn the game off, but the last auto-save shows as an hour ago and I did quite a bit since then. Any ideas?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Do something to make the game autosave, such as hitching a new horse or levelling up a challenge.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks, I'll give that a shot, I appreciate it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Using a horse deed, if you have one, is also a convenient way to autosave.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well I got lucky on the Marksman Challenge just a bit ago. I was at some small station in Neuvo Paraiso and three guys pulled up right beside me on three horses. As soon as the train started up and the "Challenge Started!" message appeared, I went into Dead Eye and marked all the men and their horses, slaughtered all of them and shot the last guy like five times just to be sure. That knocked out two of the requirements (including expert aiming, which I always use), netting me silver and the Beastmaster cheat.

Though I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with Beastmaster. The only thing it seems to actually do is cause most animals to follow you if they feel like it, but only until you reach a town and then they run off or vanish. Is there something I'm missing? Do they animals ever attack people or defend you or do anything besides follow you?

Edit: VV Hey, up here! I've beaten the challenge already... good enough to get the cheat, at least, which is all I wanted.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

Get on top of the train at MacFarlane's Ranch. You can deadeye 5 cows, and there's always people on horses and birds to hit as well. I wrapped up the entire challenge before the train started moving again.

Also, the quickest autosave I've found is to change your aiming skill level, and then change it right back.

• Locked thread