Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ChiTownEddie posted:

Whatcha guys think for a newbie...
Is something like this too old (problem prone)? I've heard nighthawks are amazing starter bikes and the fact he says he just got it tuned up/cleaned seems good for someone new...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1841929179.html

It's an old bike, but if it starts, runs, rides well and doesn't leak any fluids, it should be fine for a beginner bike.

My wife started on a 500cc Magna, which looks remarkably similar to that, except it has a VF instead of a [straight four? twin?]. I imagine they used the same frame several of their lightweight cruisers; Magna VF500, that Nighthawk, and the Shadow VT500. If the way the Magna handles is any indication, it should be a great learner bike in practice. Low seat height, light weight, easy handling, not enough power to get you into a ton of trouble.

A bike that age is going to need some regular wrenching, and with the age vs. displacement, you will probably outgrow it quickly. I'd be happy to see 1 season on that one before I start looking for the next (newer, more dependable) one.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That seems like a decent deal. I'm not sure which bolt he's talking about, but if you can post some pictures or a better description, that might help. Is he talking about the chain adjustment?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I msg'ed the guy and will be checking it out on Saturday. Holy crap at the chance I might own a bike so soon!

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart

Z3n posted:

That seems like a decent deal. I'm not sure which bolt he's talking about, but if you can post some pictures or a better description, that might help. Is he talking about the chain adjustment?

Just checked with him, it's the rear set for the shifter, not the axle. He said it just gets loose every couple weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lordofokra posted:

Just checked with him, it's the rear set for the shifter, not the axle. He said it just gets loose every couple weeks.

Some locktite probably would sort that out then. Or he doesn't get that it's reverse threaded and you need to tighten down the locknuts. Either way, not a big deal.

Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Bitter, on-the-run cop seeks femme fatale hitwoman for fiery, bullet-riddled romance. Must enjoy long walks through construction sites, high-caliber h
So I wasn't expecting to reply to this thread so soon, but a bike in my theoretical price range just popped up.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1843440518.html

I might be overreacting from everyone's constant overpricing of bikes here. It's obviously been down since he says "cosmetic damage".

Just wondering if this looks like a good deal to the more experienced or if I should hold off on cashing out some vacation time and setting my savings account back by several months.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PlasticSun posted:

Nice sounds like the first one's been well taken care of.

And it will be rode home tomorrow evening!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I know, right? I told her if she's going to ride behind me, she's going to have to disable the headlight modulator.

Of course the psychedelic array of lights and beeping noises could come in handy if you need to communicate with a passing spaceship.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

clutchpuck posted:

And it will be rode home tomorrow evening!

Congrats! I'd suggest doing a fluid change, including the gear oil, but other than that it should be ready to go for a long while.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I agree. We pick it up tonight and it comes with a manual so we shouldn't have any trouble with the fluid change.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Wolfsforza posted:

So I wasn't expecting to reply to this thread so soon, but a bike in my theoretical price range just popped up.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1843440518.html

I might be overreacting from everyone's constant overpricing of bikes here. It's obviously been down since he says "cosmetic damage".

Just wondering if this looks like a good deal to the more experienced or if I should hold off on cashing out some vacation time and setting my savings account back by several months.

$1200 for a 2004 Ninja 250 with new tires and less than 12k miles is a pretty good deal, so it's probably already gone. :keke:

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

frozenphil posted:

$1200 for a 2004 Ninja 250 with new tires and less than 12k miles is a pretty good deal, so it's probably already gone. :keke:

Is $1800 for a 2005 with 1600 miles still a good deal? I'm still unsure on prices for the ninja 250s although I've been watching the market for a bit.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

lordofokra posted:

Yeah, I did some reading on the GS500 and a lot of people said for the money you might as well get an SV650. Yesterday, a 2003 SV650 popped up on my local Craigslist. 12000 miles with minor cosmetic damage for $2600. I went and checked it out, aside from a couple scratches (dropped once), a loose gear shift footrest, and something about a rear bolt needing tightened once in awhile (something with the wheel, do you know what I'm talking about? I'm new to bikes) it looked great. He's holding it for me and I should be picking it up next weekend!

I got my '03 SV recently for $2,300 with 9,600 miles. It had been dropped and has a small dent in the tank, and the (bent) handlebars were replaced with a 3rd-party drag bar. Try to negotiate the price down if you can (new tank = $600, rear plastic fairing = $125/side, for examples).

If you get the SV for sure, I'd suggest you get sliders or radiator bars. If there's no protection there, you're sure to gently caress up the radiator upon a drop, like the P.O. of my bike did. He installed a set of radiator bars so I'm completely secure now.

When you get it, I'd suggest you start focusing on practicing low-speed maneuvers. The SV's torque curve can be a bit difficult to handle at those low speeds. See this thread: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=128609

(I love my SV to death)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I've wanted an 06-07 CBR1000 for a while now, even though I've never even ridden one :shobon: I love the looks and the power and the fact thats it's a Honda. I'm seriously starting to look now and I really want a Repsol, but I'd settle for a red or black one.

Anyone have advice on these bikes?

How does this look for a deal? It's in LA so it's a few hours away :(
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/1841234718.html

email:
"Up until two weeks ago, the bike was like brand new. I was moving it literally from my garage to the outside patio and laid it down lightly... the damage is truly minimal and it is only on the plastic. in the pictures I've provided you a shot of the damage."

I'm not sure what a premium the Repsols should get over a regular 06-07 CBR1k

I'm looking at this bike tomorrow, located a lot closer, hopefully I'll get a test ride to see if I actually like these things

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1843895374.html

quote:

Hey,
Here is a list of the upgrades on the bike as well as the extras I will include for the sale.
But right up front let me tell you something... last tuesday night one of my friends knocked the bike over. >:-[ I actually managed to catch it on the way down but the right side mirror and passenger fairing touched the ground. The damage is absolutely minimal. There is a small scratch in the passenger fairing which I am going to buff out ASAP. Other than that there are a couple small scratches on the swing arm from the pit stand. This bike is in AMAZING condition. You should come check it out!

double bubble black windshield
-no scratches or cracks
tech spec tank pads (for holding on to the gas tank with your legs)
powder coated passenger pegs
jardine rt-1 carbon fiber exhaust
-super loud with great tone
flush mounted front turn signals
-smoked black with yellow LEDs
integrated rear turn signals
-brake light has yellow LEDs on left and right sides that act as signals.
-ive never been pulled over for the signals
fender eliminator kit with license plate holder
-allows you to legally mount the license plate right above the rear wheel
narrow/lightweight sprockets and chain
-sprockets and chain have about 3k miles on them
-takes about 8lbs off of the drivetrain
-stock gearing is installed right now but i will include "down 1 in the front and up 3 in the back"
-I put the stock gearing back on b/c it was way too fast with the upgraded gearing. scared the crap out of me.
dual compound rear tire with 2.5k miles on it.
-hard rubber in the middle/sticky rubber on the sides.
- LOTS of life left in the tire.
black bobbins for mounting the bike in pit stands
slipper clutch
-downshifting is super smooth. keeps you from locking the rear wheel during downshift.
I will be including the following stuff as well:
-honda racing jacket size large (used maybe once or twice)
-hardcover service manual
- extra sprockets

so here is the deal with this bike. it is in pristine condition. it runs at exactly 178-180 degrees all the time. every single turn signal and light on the bike works. it shifts super smooth. it starts every time without hesitation. ive used it almost entirely for riding back and forth to work and visiting friends in LA. ive taken care of this bike fanatically. i changed the oil and filter way more often than you have to. i lube the chain every 500 miles. I am in love with this bike and would keep it if i could.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I honestly wouldn't buy one. They're fine bikes, but the 08+ CBRs are just better across the board. The repsol replica is just a paint job, if you really wanted one I'd probably buy an ebay fairing kit and sell the OEM stuff, you could make money on it. Get the rims PC'd/painted orange and off you go.

I wouldn't pay more than 5k for one, period, and even that is pushing it. People have this obsession with HONDA and how they hold their value and all of this crap and it's just really undeserved...no one rides the bikes long enough for it to matter anyways.

I've ridden the 04-05 and the 06-07 and the 08+ and while the earlier generations are fine motorcycles, the 08 is the only one that's really made me go "holy poo poo, this is an amazing motorcycle".

Couple that with people asking absurd amounts for even older ones, and I'm just not a fan in general.

You're gonna like the bike when you test ride it regardless because it's a literbike, but I'd recommend riding a modern GSX-R and the 08+ CBR1000RR before you buy one.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I really have had good luck with Honda and bad luck with Kawi and Suzuki.

And the 08+ CBR is just hideous IMO. Considering the level of rider I am (very mid-range) I don't think I would appreciate the slight advantages of anything else enough for it to matter. Plus I'll admit it, I'm really wanting the 06-07 for almost purely aesthetic reasons

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

aventari posted:

I really have had good luck with Honda and bad luck with Kawi and Suzuki.

And the 08+ CBR is just hideous IMO. Considering the level of rider I am (very mid-range) I don't think I would appreciate the slight advantages of anything else enough for it to matter. Plus I'll admit it, I'm really wanting the 06-07 for almost purely aesthetic reasons

I'd say that you should at least ride the 08 plus. I've ridden with you, I know you'd notice the difference, it's just a matter of if it matters enough to you to sway the asthetic side of things. The earlier generation is much better looking though, I agree on that front.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Z3n posted:

You're gonna like the bike when you test ride it regardless because it's a literbike, but I'd recommend riding a modern GSX-R and the 08+ CBR1000RR before you buy one.

haha just test rode the black 07 and drat you are correct. I love it. so much power it's insane. Makes my F4i feel like a squishy Ninja 250 now :-/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

aventari posted:

haha just test rode the black 07 and drat you are correct. I love it. so much power it's insane. Makes my F4i feel like a squishy Ninja 250 now :-/

Yup, literbikes have that effect. :) Honestly, if it makes you smile you should buy it. I'm sure you'd notice the difference in power on the newer bike, but it's also about having something that makes you smile when you look at it in the garage. The older 1000RRs aren't bad bikes, in fact, they're very good bikes...it's just that the newer bikes are another step forward.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

aventari posted:

Well that first Repsol you listed was about 7200$, I think i've seen a few 08 models around the bay area with less than 4000 miles running for as low aw 7800$, and as Z3n said it's a pretty amazing motorcycle, compared to the previous gen.

I haven't ridden a literbike and the rather absurd cost of insuring one keeps me from getting one, even though it seems like people are selling their literbikes for the same price as a 600CC supersport around here, it almost makes me think "Well why don't I just get a 1000CC instead?"

Also I agree with Z3n I don't get why Hondas seem to have higher resale value, i've already replaced 2 regulator/rectifiers !

Also I kind of want a 954RR, that headlight just looks awesome :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aventari posted:

Putting :10bux: on aventari buying a litrebike in the next month.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I've had many long drawn out conversations (sprinkled with "so when are you going to get a trackbike? :v: ) about literbikes with a variety of people. I bought a 08 CBR1000 last fall and I absolutely love the loving thing. If I had to do it all over again I would have NEVER bought it.

Honestly they're just too, too much. Everywhere. In most any situation, street or track.

They're too much for the street in the way that if you're using a small amount of their very exploitable power you're breaking so many laws it's not even funny. Let alone the hazards of riding like a jackass on the street. I will say it's nice to have power/torque available to you at moderately sane revs... but you're going to want to cane it every now and again. Be honest with yourself ;). The riding position is very compromised on modern bikes. Yes, you can do long rides on them and live. But there's also much more sane comfortable things out there that offer outstanding performance.

It's also too much for the track. I got SERIOUSLY bit by the trackday bug and have logged close to 1100 miles on the track since April 10 of this year, all on my ridiculous literbike. It's stupid fun. It can also get you into trouble in a hurry. Not to mention its insatiable lust for tires... granted, I still have one fresh rear left and a set of street tires that have a lot of miles left in them that I've been swapping around with track tires, but since I started trackdays in April I've spent 950 bucks on tires alone. Not to mention mounting/balancing and me eventually breaking down and buying a tire changer so I could "save some money" :saddowns:. NOT SAVING ANY MONEY IF YOU'RE EATING THROUGH AN EXPENSIVE REAR TIRE EVERY COUPLE TRACKDAYS, rear end in a top hat!!! *sigh*

It's harder to learn on at the track as well. They're just so quick it's easy to get going too fast for your comfort level/skill on straights, panic, overbrake, and coast through corners way the gently caress too slow. Yes, you too can be "that guy" on a literbike! I'm sure I pissed a lot of people off when I first started riding track, now I do the majority of my passing in corners :smug:. It's nice when you're carrying more speed through turns AND have retarded power at tap for straights! Be careful with that right wrist though, because you have that retarded power on tap if you're hamfisted with the throttle you're in for a rude awakening.

And guess what! Since the bikes are so powerful and you're going faster, not only do you chew up tires faster you also are harder on brake pads and fluid! And sprockets! And chains!

Basically it comes down to what you want. I thought I wanted a literbike because goddamnit they're awesome. And they are awesome. But too much awesome is a bad thing :(. It's senseless for the street and compromised for the track unless you're one of the very few people who can actually use the additional power over a 600 you're not. neither am I.

But, if you adore the bike and can live with its shortcomings? Buy the drat thing. They're amazingly capable machines and their power is intoxicating.

...until you look at your tire bill. This is ONE DAY on a fresh Dunlop D211GPA medium/hard rear.

:suicide:

needknees fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 17, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm really thinking my ideal bike setup is having a Speed Triple as a streetbike/daily ride, my current F2 as a trackwhore, and a DRZ400SM for the weekends.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Do they really get sub 30mpg when you're tracking it? How about for everyday street riding?

I think i'm going to settle for a nice new TV over a another bike this year :)

^^ I think the F2 is nice enough for everyday street use, I think it's when Honda started making the RR series that things got a little less comfy.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

No doubt my F2 is comfy...for a sportbike. A standard streetfighter like a Speed is still way better, though. My neck starts hurting after about 60 miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 17, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

No doubt my F2 is comfy...for a sportbike. A standard streetfighter like a Speed is still way better, though. My neck starts hurting after about 60 miles.

A Speed Triple isn't a streetfighter.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

infraboy posted:

Do they really get sub 30mpg when you're tracking it? How about for everyday street riding?

I always reset my trip meter, fuel gauge, and econ at the beginning of a trackday because it's neat to see how many miles you put on at the track. I get between 23 and 25mpg flogging the piss out of it. They're pretty thirsty :ohdear:

Normal riding gets me 39-41 depending on what kind of riding I'm doing. The worst I've seen on the street was ~35.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Buy litrebikes you immense softcocks. They be the poo poo.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Can anyone give me some opinions on riding a DL650 vs a DL1000GT? I can't get a Wee for a rental in the UK as they're all out, but I can get a 1k. However, there isn't one around here I can go look at in person. I've not ridden the Wee, but of all the bikes I can get (and afford), I've sat on the Wee and like it best. Thanks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everything I've heard about the Vee indicates that it's pretty similar to the Wee, except heavier and the motor's less refined. (On the plus side it goes faster and the front suspension's apparently better.) The Wee is a wonderfully friendly bike and I can't imagine the Vee would be too much different.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How's the economy on the Vee though? The SV1000 (same motor) isn't exactly known for it's frugality and the Vee's got more bulk to haul around.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A Speed Triple isn't a streetfighter.

Uh, yeah it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Speed_Triple

Sportbike with handlebars and no fairings. Yes, technically streetfighters are faired sportbikes that have them removed, but it's a factory streetfighter.

Edit: Also http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2006/07/triumph-speed-triple-mean-mutha.html and http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-streetfighters-shootout-aprilia-tuono-1000-r-buell-1125cr-triumph-speed-triple-87798.html

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 18, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Uh, yeah it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Speed_Triple

Sportbike with handlebars and no fairings. Yes, technically streetfighters are faired sportbikes that have them removed, but it's a factory streetfighter.

Edit: Also http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2006/07/triumph-speed-triple-mean-mutha.html and http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-streetfighters-shootout-aprilia-tuono-1000-r-buell-1125cr-triumph-speed-triple-87798.html

There is no such thing as a factory streetfighter, but even if there was, there's only two bikes that would fit the description: RSV Tuono and K1300R. The Speed Triple hasn't ever been based off a sportsbike. It's just a nakedbike.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 18, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There is no such thing as a factory streetfighter, but even if there was, there's only two bikes that would fit the description: RSV Tuono and K1300R. The Speed Triple hasn't ever been based off a sportsbike. It's just a nakedbike.

I...uh... what?

Ducati Streetfight... I assure you it exists

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

I...uh... what?

Ducati Streetfight... I assure you it exists

I know it exists. Ducati can call it whatever they like, but it's not a fighter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I know it exists. Ducati can call it whatever they like, but it's not a fighter.

Because? A fighter is a bike you build yourself out of a sport bike you've ruined? Wheres the definition your using coming from.

Stripped sport bike chassis with handlebars. The Ducati streetfighter is very much that. The triumph speed triple is very much that. Is there some better definition I don't know about?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

Because? A fighter is a bike you build yourself out of a sport bike you've ruined? Wheres the definition your using coming from.

From the definition that's been used to describe what a streetfighter is for the past 20-odd years since London couriers started stripping back slabbies.

Spiffness posted:

Stripped sport bike chassis with handlebars. The Ducati streetfighter is very much that. The triumph speed triple is very much that. Is there some better definition I don't know about?

Stripped with handlebars, and then fitted with lazier steering and a longer swingarm. And what sportsbike was stripped to make a Speed Triple?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 18, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

By that definition the Ducati Streetfighter is exactly that.

It's a 1098, with lazier rake, handlebars and a longer swingarm.

I think you are getting a bit to hung up in the step by step 'how to make a street fighter' and not so much that it's a style of bike now. You can argue the speed triple is just a standard. The Tuono is very much a streetfighter, so is the Ducati,they exist. They are awesome. You don't have to make your own now, though you should because they are way awesome when they are scrapped together in some shed.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

By that definition the Ducati Streetfighter is exactly that.

It's a 1098, with lazier rake, handlebars and a longer swingarm.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

From the definition that's been used to describe what a streetfighter is for the past 20-odd years since London couriers started stripping back slabbies.

Built not bought. And where in that sentence did I mention making it longer or lazier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're a purist, most people are not.