Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I honestly love The Legion of Doom the most. Maybe it's because they mash up a lot of modern rock/emo stuff.

Girl Talk has his place. Some songs are just garbage and you wonder what's going on. But "Feed the Animals." Is great.

I think what makes Girl Talk a bit unique is that he covers/mashes a wide array of genres, eras, and just music in general.

Was he one of the first ones to really popularize it? Because when anyone thinks mash up they immediately think of him. I guess he's just had a lot of publicity. That might be why he's so popular.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think it's really pretty safe to pretend the Girl Talk discography begins with Night Ripper. Unstoppable has a few moments where it sounds like that, but Secret Diary is basically another type of music altogether.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tornhelm posted:

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

Oh I totally agree with you there, I find it nigh on unlistenable. I like 'Unstoppable' the more I hear it but it wasn't until 'Night Ripper' that it starts to come together. Then 'Feed the Animals' is just the poo poo.

As was mentioned, something which impresses with GT is the breadth of his samples. Just look at the first track of 'Feed the Animals' for example, there's Sinead O'Connor, Pete Townshend, Outkast, Temple of the Dog and Roy Orbison to name just a few. I like that he doesn't feel limited like some mash-up artists seem to. There's almost this fallacy that you have to use the most up to date samples.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I can't get into E-603 I don't know why. I definately think Girl Talk is better than Super Mash Bros, though. There are always samples used by SMB which I hear and just think "why?"" The point of this genree is that you take the best things and put them together, but they just use crappy modern rock radio poo poo a lot of the time.

Ludachrist is probably my favourite, I just wish they'd release stuff more often.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

icicle bob posted:

I can't get into E-603 I don't know why. I definately think Girl Talk is better than Super Mash Bros, though. There are always samples used by SMB which I hear and just think "why?"" The point of this genree is that you take the best things and put them together, but they just use crappy modern rock radio poo poo a lot of the time.

Ludachrist is probably my favourite, I just wish they'd release stuff more often.

i always thought E-603's first CD was miles ahead of his first but neither were as good as GT or Milkman.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tornhelm posted:

I think people usually disregard Secret Diary, GT went in a completely different direction after that piece of poo poo and it barely resembles any of his other work.

I often forget about that album entirely, so when most people are talking about GT and how great he is, most of the time they're actually talking about GT after that album. I agree that it's an abomination of an album, but remember it's nothing like anything else he's done.

Feed the Animals and Night Ripper are where he shines, and they're both nothing like Secret Diary and far more similar to Super Mash Bros and the like.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Haters gonna hate but Unstoppable is a great glitch album...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I had "All about the Scrillions" by Super Mash Bros hidden in some folder I forgot about it.

This is loving good, solid, fun mashup at it's finest.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 3, 2010

Diabetes of Beef
Oct 16, 2007

If anyone cares, I just released my second mash up EP, called "I Am Super Confused". I'm still getting the hang of making these mash up things, so any criticism would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.wtajrk.com/

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
I'm a huge mashup fan and i recently found a whole website full of mashups. (probably posted in this thread somewhere)

whatthemashup.com

But I still have to say my favorite mashup artists are:

Milkman
Supermash Bros.
Car Stereo Wars
5 & a Dime

Das Kimboplex
Mar 22, 2010

Christoff posted:

Stuff

Z-Trip and DJ Shadow created mashups way back in the late 90s.

I can't help after listening to a bunch of these guys there's no way I can discern the sound between any of them. They all seem to warp a bunch of clips in Ableton, forget to take their adderall and drop clips at will. That's cool and all but it gotten to the part where it sounds like cheerleader music.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Diabetes of Beef posted:

If anyone cares, I just released my second mash up EP, called "I Am Super Confused". I'm still getting the hang of making these mash up things, so any criticism would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.wtajrk.com/

Even better than your first man, didn't see Katamari coming! The only part I find slightly jarring is the start of Single Ladies/Little Secrets, but like five seconds later I'm nodding my head maniacally because it's great again.

PS. Both the songs from Rocky sound awesome. I've always wanted to mash Summer Madness, myself.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

BrainDance posted:

I think people usually disregard Secret Diary, GT went in a completely different direction after that piece of poo poo and it barely resembles any of his other work.

I often forget about that album entirely, so when most people are talking about GT and how great he is, most of the time they're actually talking about GT after that album. I agree that it's an abomination of an album, but remember it's nothing like anything else he's done.

Feed the Animals and Night Ripper are where he shines, and they're both nothing like Secret Diary and far more similar to Super Mash Bros and the like.
I'm sorry but can I lol at this. The dude went from making IDM beats for a free netlabel, then went on to make frat boy mashups. You can't just call those first albums "poo poo" because you don't like them. They're like entirely different things, and you guys obviously don't like glitchy poo poo. No reason to discredit his hosed up poo poo for his jock jams blends. First half of the 2000s was a different time. Secret Diary isn't a great album, but not for the reasons you're saying.

I'm so cool I started hating Girl Talk when Unstoppable came out :cool: (i'm being sarcastic of course)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm sorry but can I lol at this. The dude went from making IDM beats for a free netlabel, then went on to make frat boy mashups. You can't just call those first albums "poo poo" because you don't like them. They're like entirely different things, and you guys obviously don't like glitchy poo poo. No reason to discredit his hosed up poo poo for his jock jams blends. First half of the 2000s was a different time. Secret Diary isn't a great album, but not for the reasons you're saying.

I'm so cool I started hating Girl Talk when Unstoppable came out :cool: (i'm being sarcastic of course)

the only valid reason to say an album is poo poo is because you hate it. Anything else is just overly-prententious bullshit that you should be ashamed of.

Also I've just finished listening to Feed The Animals, and considering how much it hate his earlier work, I quite like it.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 6, 2010

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Tornhelm posted:

the only valid reason to say an album is poo poo is because you hate it. Anything else is just overly-prententious bullshit that you should be ashamed of.

Also I've just finished listening to Feed The Animals, and considering how much it hate his earlier work, I quite like it.

You only just heard Feed The Animals? poo poo nigga, I hear it on the radio here.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Where do you live / who created a clean version of Feed The Animals? Additionally, 'poo poo, nigga'...

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
yeah same here (not on commercial radio, but Australia is good for community radio).

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

That's silly. There must be hundreds of jazz albums you don't like or don't get or just aren't your thing, but that's doesn't make them poo poo. Its not overly-pretentious to say "not my thing".

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

baberaham lincoln posted:

Where do you live / who created a clean version of Feed The Animals? Additionally, 'poo poo, nigga'...

Triple J plays it uncensored pretty commonly in Australia, I remember tuning in and Rosie Beaton saying it was the night's the most requested music once.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

icicle bob posted:

Triple J plays it uncensored pretty commonly in Australia, I remember tuning in and Rosie Beaton saying it was the night's the most requested music once.

The single most popular song in the world's biggest annual music poll had a really clear "gently caress" in the chorus last year. Triple J's good like that.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

That's silly. There must be hundreds of jazz albums you don't like or don't get or just aren't your thing, but that's doesn't make them poo poo. Its not overly-pretentious to say "not my thing".

For something to be poo poo, you must dislike it. The inverse is NOT true - just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean its poo poo. They're two completely different things - its why Secret Diary is poo poo, yet I only hate Wolfmother and Muse.

Edit: And for the other argument that'll come up - you can't think something is poo poo if you like it, because in liking it you recognise there is something worthwhile there even if it has a lot of other problems.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 7, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Fuklaw posted:

The single most popular song in the world's biggest annual music poll had a really clear "gently caress" in the chorus last year. Triple J's good like that.

In the Hottest 100 of all time, didn't they play the uncensored version of Killing in the Name? Triple J's pretty awesome like that, especially when you realise it's government run too.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

In the Hottest 100 of all time, didn't they play the uncensored version of Killing in the Name? Triple J's pretty awesome like that, especially when you realise it's government run too.

Sure was. For all the totally legit complaints one may have against the Australian government, the existence of ABC and JJJ make it all worthwhile.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

For something to be poo poo, you must dislike it. The inverse is NOT true - just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean its poo poo. They're two completely different things - its why Secret Diary is poo poo, yet I only hate Wolfmother and Muse.

Edit: And for the other argument that'll come up - you can't think something is poo poo if you like it, because in liking it you recognise there is something worthwhile there even if it has a lot of other problems.
No what I meant was you can't call something poo poo that you don't really "get". You just dont' have an ear for noisy glitchy IDM stuff before. It just seems to me your hatred is misplaced.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

icicle bob posted:

Quotin' myself to say I heard Set It Off on Triple J today.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I saw Super Mash Bros recently and their show is in serious contention for one of the best shows I've ever been to. Even the staunchest anti-fun "gotta gently caress with my phone instead of moving to dance music" hipsters were enjoying themselves. The band seemed like genuinely chill dudes too. I highly recommend seeing them if you get the opportunity.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well it looks like Ludachrist has made a new track featuring Mel Gibson a few days ago that is getting some serious hits. Any idea when a new album will drop?

LUDACHRIST featuring MAD MEL - Smile and Blow Me

The ending is loving amazing.

Also, god drat do I wish I lived in philly. Look at this line up

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 18, 2010

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Well it looks like Ludachrist has made a new track featuring Mel Gibson a few days ago that is getting some serious hits. Any idea when a new album will drop?

LUDACHRIST featuring MAD MEL - Smile and Blow Me

The ending is loving amazing.

Also, god drat do I wish I lived in philly. Look at this line up

Someone on Ludachrist's facebook suggested they use the "Blow me" tape just the other day. These guys work fast!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Whoa Mash Bros, E603, and Milkman all together in one show. That's nuts. I can't even imagine how tired everyone will be by the end of all of those.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lakitu7 posted:

Whoa Mash Bros, E603, and Milkman all together in one show. That's nuts. I can't even imagine how tired everyone will be by the end of all of those.
I saw Milkman mention it on facebook and I think I slipped into a lucid religious experience for a couple of minutes just thinking about it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Just Mash Bros alone was one of the best shows with the best crowd I've ever seen, and that was just a month after Passion Pit played the same venue and I left with a feeling of anger and contempt for the crowd that refused the dance. I can't conclude anything other than that this style of mashup is just *that* freakin good that even the most steadfast of refuse-to-dance hipsters can't resist going crazy. All 3 of those groups in the same room would have to be supernova.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, I didn't post about it because I figured it was posted alrady but I see it hasn't been.

You should all check out a-trak dirty south dance 2 here: http://atrak.bandcamp.com/album/dirty-south-dance-2

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but if you're a Girl Talk fan then its worth grabbing some of these bootlegs

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/10/19/the-girl-talk-bootleg-archive-10-bootlegs-and-counting/

The most recent (Girl Talk – Live at Binghamton 5.1.10) is pretty incredible - sounds like it was recorded from the soundboard so its great quality, and has loads of new mixes in it. Tiding me over til a new album.

Oh and I gotta add that it really sucks being into this type of schizophrenic mashup and living over in England - Girl Talk has only played one show here in recent memory and the odds of Super Mash Bros/E-603/Milkman coming over are slim to say the least. Sad times.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

JustLikeMe posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but if you're a Girl Talk fan then its worth grabbing some of these bootlegs

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/10/19/the-girl-talk-bootleg-archive-10-bootlegs-and-counting/

The most recent (Girl Talk – Live at Binghamton 5.1.10) is pretty incredible - sounds like it was recorded from the soundboard so its great quality, and has loads of new mixes in it. Tiding me over til a new album.

Oh and I gotta add that it really sucks being into this type of schizophrenic mashup and living over in England - Girl Talk has only played one show here in recent memory and the odds of Super Mash Bros/E-603/Milkman coming over are slim to say the least. Sad times.

Thanks for this. Wish that 5.1.10 had a download link instead of just the flash player :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sonicice posted:

Thanks for this. Wish that 5.1.10 had a download link instead of just the flash player :(

Here you go, enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2tkziymmyg

Video for this is awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKHNDffkIE

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

sonicice posted:

You don't have to use the flash player - you can right click/save link as. I've been playing it in my car, and I'm now far too excited about whats in store on the next album.

Oh also if anyone is near Tucson AZ, Girl Talk is headlining the N9NE festival at the beginning of September.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-40227-Phoenix-Indie-Music-Examiner~y2010m7d16-Just-announced-Girl-Talk-headlining-N9NE-fest-in-Tucson

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ManoliIsFat posted:

No what I meant was you can't call something poo poo that you don't really "get". You just dont' have an ear for noisy glitchy IDM stuff before. It just seems to me your hatred is misplaced.

No, I think the album is actually bad. You can't just dismiss someone's view of an album by saying "oh you just don't get *genre*" That's unbelievably pretentious, almost as bad as actually using the label IDM (no one self identifies as that, it's nearly the most hated label in electronic music.)

And yeah, I am into glitchy stuff, and I liked Artificial Intelligence as much as the next guy, but regardless Girl Talk's first album is just bad. It has no direction, and so in my view it's poo poo. A lot of other people don't seem to like it either. You can like it but don't act like you have a superior ear and people who think it's terrible just don't "get it"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I agree with BrainDance. I've tried to give 'Secret Diary' so many goes but it's just painful to listen to. Even Girltalk has said that at that time he was just messing around and experimenting. It has nothing to do with getting the genre or not, it's just plain bad.

I do like his second album quite a bit though, it strikes a good balance between what he was doing then and what he's doing now.

As for those live shows. I like a lot of the cuts on the latest show (That Karma Police drop is inspired), but the Bonaroo show seems a lot more alive (Probably because you can hear the crowd in that one) despite the numerous laptop errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Heard this mix on Triple J in its entirety earlier this year: Acceptable in the 80s: 88mph Stolen Plutonium Megamixxx
It's eighties themed and features lots of robots and time travelling themes and samples from films and interviews, and it is fun as. It's only 40 megabytes download, so you may as well do yourself the favour.